Time to rebuild

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

interesting....

i always liked bridgewater, but imo he is slight.  throws a nice ball.  i miss the days of a qb managing the game and a running game that produced. oh, yeah defense is nice too.  i think we go heavy on both lines in the draft.

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I would like to see them do it right for once.

Build around a franchise worthy QB.

IMO.

2018 draft should be all about going all in on a QB other then Rex choice at QB or backup talents from around the league. Move up do whatever they have to land the one they covet. Waiting around for a good QB to drop into there laps is a huge reason why Whaley got fired. Later round picks at QB are huge longshots, go get us a dam QB in round one, enough with Whaleys purgatory.

Good teams build around a top talent at QB first, building the rest of the team first will not get you a good QB it will get you good players that will be ready to leave on year 3 for bigger contracts when you decide to add a better QB into the mix. Sadly they never get to that point of going for a better QB because every season this team needs a bunch of players and gives itself excuses as to why they never draft a top QB. Spiller,Watkins, MD and so on, what a waste of 1st round picks.

2018 FA should be interesting but not over the top in spending, just fill in and make do with what is here because spending big money on a 3 year player IMO should be 2019 after a season of the rookie QB bumps in learning while seeing what players go good with his style of play.

2019 is the time to spend bigger in FA while having plenty of draft picks to make this a younger team. 2019 will also have rookie QB from 2018 more seasoned and ready to really compete.

Go get us a real talent at QB, one that teams don't laugh at because they made him be a QB.

This makes a lot of sense. HOWEVER, I don't want them wasting all of this years draft capital on drafting a QB IF THEY ARENT sold that he is the guy. And that may be the case in this draft, it also might not be. Only our FO will know if there is a guy worth selling the farm for, if there is, then by all means go get him. If they arent sold on a guy having IT, then keep building the roster through the draft. 

I know many want a QB at all costs in this draft, but there has to be a guy there worth taking (and having the opportunity to take him...someone has to want what we offer in trade to move out of a QB taking spot). It isnt just as easy as wanting it...you have to identify a guy (there isnt one in every draft), not just "the best guy of this bunch", but truly be sold on a guy having IT, and then be able to find a trade partner. 

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

This makes a lot of sense. HOWEVER, I don't want them wasting all of this years draft capital on drafting a QB IF THEY ARENT sold that he is the guy. And that may be the case in this draft, it also might not be. Only our FO will know if there is a guy worth selling the farm for, if there is, then by all means go get him. If they arent sold on a guy having IT, then keep building the roster through the draft. 

I know many want a QB at all costs in this draft, but there has to be a guy there worth taking (and having the opportunity to take him...someone has to want what we offer in trade to move out of a QB taking spot). It isnt just as easy as wanting it...you have to identify a guy (there isnt one in every draft), not just "the best guy of this bunch", but truly be sold on a guy having IT, and then be able to find a trade partner. 

Obviously:

“The good thing is we have a lot of draft capital and we can stay there and pick, we can move up, we can move back, we can do a lot of different things. It’s so early in the process. I mean, we’ve seen these college guys on the field, but we’ve yet to meet any of them and to know who they are,” Beane said. “You rank these guys [from] what you see on the film, but until you know them and know how they know the game and all of that, talking about the quarterback position, there’s so many layers of what it takes to play quarterback in this league – and we’ve talked about them – that we’re still a long way to go. It’s too early for me to answer what we would do, whether we’d do it or not, but yes, we will go where we need to go to get the right players.”

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Obviously:

“The good thing is we have a lot of draft capital and we can stay there and pick, we can move up, we can move back, we can do a lot of different things. It’s so early in the process. I mean, we’ve seen these college guys on the field, but we’ve yet to meet any of them and to know who they are,” Beane said. “You rank these guys [from] what you see on the film, but until you know them and know how they know the game and all of that, talking about the quarterback position, there’s so many layers of what it takes to play quarterback in this league – and we’ve talked about them – that we’re still a long way to go. It’s too early for me to answer what we would do, whether we’d do it or not, but yes, we will go where we need to go to get the right players.”

ok? 

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

ok? 

McBeane basically agrees with what you said: "HOWEVER, I don't want them wasting all of this years draft capital on drafting a QB IF THEY ARENT sold that he is the guy."

I also will go out on a limb here and say that most other posters just don't want to go get a QB to just get one... 

"I know many want a QB at all costs in this draft, but there has to be a guy there worth taking"

I'm pretty sure no one wants to trade up for EJ or Geno...

11 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Pat Many are saying this is a very good draft to take one of the top QBs. With so much dead money in 2018 and this team grabbing a wild card in 2017 they can ride with many on this team now for 2018. Use the extra draft picks to land one of the top talents at QB this year so the rookie can get that grooming season in. Odds of this draft having very good QBs come out it is very good, the time is now. 

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

You do not tear down playoff teams.  You continue to assess your roster and add pieces as needed.

Last year is over. If you want to continue citing last year's result with last year's roster go ahead.

There are no guarantees that a team improves from one year to the next.

Buffalo, as the OP has noted, has a lot of roster questions and decisions to make. That doesn't lend itself to improvement, nor does it make that impossible.

2018 is Year 2 of the McBeane rebuild and now they need to find a QB. There's nothing wrong with questioning the team when that one position is such a huge unknown.

Free Agency is going to tell us so much about how McBeane are going to try making this a perennial playoff team.

52 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You should let the Eagles know that. No sense in trying to get Wentz because some guy on a message board named matter already said they won't be able to trade up and it's not smart.  

The Eagles didnt have 5 or 6 teams in the top 10 wanting a QB. There is a huge difference.  Might be the most teams in need of a QB in the top 15 in draft history this year.

Edited by matter2003

I didn't know Glenn's contract was this big of a mess: Can't really wait to the draft to deal him:

1) Trade or release Cordy Glenn ahead of March 16
- This date is so incredibly important for the Bills to make a decision, based on how terrible Cordy Glenn’s contract in 2018 is for the organization. Glenn, who the Doug Whaley regime committed to for the long-term, allowed a substantial deadline day for Glenn’s contract in 2018. Here’s why March 16 is so important: According to his contract numbers (per Spotrac.com) in order for the Bills to part ways with Glenn — whether it be via trade or by releasing him outright, they would be on the hook for $11.1 million to their salary cap in dead money — which is bad enough as it is. On March 16, an additional $6.5 million of Cordy Glenn’s base salary guarantees, and if he’s still on the Bills roster when that hits, that automatically gets tied to their cap, even if they trade him. So on that day, to get him off the roster, it would cost them $17.6 million against their cap. And if they waited until after March 18, when a $2 million roster bonus is due, it would cost the Bills $19.6 million against their cap to part ways with Cordy Glenn. Now, they could ride it out in 2018 with Cordy Glenn on the roster with a $14.45 million cap hit, and a much more tolerable exit strategy in 2019. However, that would be a tough pill to swallow for what is now an injury risk, and with the potential to save at least over $3 million (possibly more if they designate it a post-June 1 exemption) on this year’s salary cap. So you see, if the Bills want to get resources for Cordy Glenn, it’s going to need to be before the start of the new league year.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/2017-buffalo-bills-all-22-in-review-offensive-tackles?page=2

I'd they decide to go all in on a QB, they better be sure he is the answer cause it's going to cost a fortune to get into a position to get one. Of the top 6 picks, theres a very good chance 4 of them will be QBs to the teams sitting there right now. Browns, and Jets almost guaranteed to take one. There's a very good chance the Giants take one too so they have Mannings replacement (smart move since this chance doesn't come along often). If Broncos don't get Cousins, they will be picking one also. There's a chance the Colts could surprise and grab one too if these QBs really are as good as everyone says. That still leaves the Cardinals as a team needing a QB with a pick before the Bills. Some other teams that could be looking for a QB could be Miami, jaguars, Vikings could look to draft someone into the mix. There will be a lot of teams interested in QBs making the draft spots in the top 6 very valuable and a sellers market. Is it smart to give up a bunch of the picks that the Bills accumulated to get maybe the 3rd-5th best QB this year or use those picks to fill other holes and see if someone drops closer to them? They could always look at a young recently drafted option on another team like Kizer, McCarron, Bridgewater, or one of the Broncos QBs for this year with a veteran bridge QB for this year and see what they can do with better QB play then Taylor. Or make a move to get someone like Foles and hope he plays like he did in Philly and not like in LA. Someone like that buys them time to not rush a prospect and give up way to much for the 3rd-5th best rookie

41 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Last year is over. If you want to continue citing last year's result with last year's roster go ahead.

Buffalo, as the OP has noted, has a lot of roster questions and decisions to make. That doesn't lend itself to improvement, nor does it make that impossible.

2018 is Year 2 of the McBeane rebuild and now they need to find a QB. There's nothing wrong with questioning the team when that one position is such a huge unknown.

Free Agency is going to tell us so much about how McBeane are going to try making this a perennial playoff team.

at present in the AFC there are the Pats, then a few good teams, a few rancid dumpsters and a majority glop of the rest who are playoff worthy if the ball bounces their way and tiebreakers lean towards them

the Bills are in the last group currently

58 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

What did I write?  Go back and ask yourself:  what did he write?  What I wrote is that they have to continue to evaluate and add pieces.  The OP talks about breaking everything down.  You don't do that with playoff teams, you evaluate and add as needed.

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Hate to break it to you but you need an O Line. The QB is very important but without a solid O Line you are wasting your time, just ask the Colts

Image result for andrew luck injured

Totally agree.  Philly won the Super Bowl with a backup QB because their OL enabled them to run their offense.  If the NE defenders had been in the Eagles backfield all game (like so many teams' defenders were in the Bills backfield all season), it's likely the outcome would have been different.  Certainly Foles (and Wentz when he was healthy) wouldn't have looked so great.

The best thing the Bills can do is fix their OL ... for whoever is the QB in 2018 and for whenever they get a franchise QB.  The best QB in the world can't do squat when he's on his back.

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day it was great season and that the Bills made the playoffs,  anyone looking at this current roster can see the writing on the wall.  Only one very good player under the age of 25 on this team and loads of positions that need upgrades.  This includes

- Bills need a QB and this should be top priority this offseason

- Shaddy is 30 and we have no depth behind him

- Losing Wood hurts offensive line,  Incognito is 34 years old

- Kyle was our best DL and may retire,  

- One of the worst WR groups in the NFL

- LB position needs upgrading at all 3 spots

- The Bills only true very good player under 25 is our rookie  Tre White,  they do have very good safety play

You could argue that other Bills teams had more talent and never made the playoffs then this team,  either way there is lots to do and it all starts with the QB.  My fear is the Bills will be afraid to trade up to get the best QB then can because they have so many holes to fill on this roster.  Everyone knows it starts and ends with the QB

We have been rebuilding since last spring, time to fill the holes.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

3 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

You should let the Eagles know that. No sense in trying to get Wentz because some guy on a message board named matter already said they won't be able to trade up and it's not smart.  

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

There is no greater need than QB, all those other pieces will fall into place after that. I like Matt Milano at LB, I think he could have a bright future, the secondary looks good, our WR core is far fetched since both Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones are a pretty good start but we'll just need that WR now who can take the top off a defense with his speed, runningback depth can be found everywhere, pass rush and OL need to be priority 1-2 after the QB is addressed imo.

Bull manure.  So, how come the Saints have only made the playoffs in 6 of the 12 seasons that future HOFer Drew Brees has been with them?  How come the Chargers have only made the playoffs once in the last 8 years despite having Phillip Rivers or the NY Giants only twice in the last 9 seasons despite having Eli Manning?   It takes more than simply a QB, as the Indy Colts demonstrated the last 3 seasons even when Andrew Luck played. 

Moreover, there is absolutely no guarantee that "all those other pieces will fall into place after that".  It hasn't for GB in recent years ... Aaron Rodgers' excellence has simply hidden all of the Packers' flaws.  Jameis Winston hasn't enabled TB to put together a winning team, and neither did Kirk Cousin in Washington.  OTOH, both Minnesota and Philadelphia proved that stout defenses and good offensive personnel/coaching can make even backup QBs winners.

FYI -- how can you possibly claim that Zay Jones had a "pretty good start"?  As of now, he looks like a bust.

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

McBeane basically agrees with what you said: "HOWEVER, I don't want them wasting all of this years draft capital on drafting a QB IF THEY ARENT sold that he is the guy."

I also will go out on a limb here and say that most other posters just don't want to go get a QB to just get one... 

"I know many want a QB at all costs in this draft, but there has to be a guy there worth taking"

I'm pretty sure no one wants to trade up for EJ or Geno...

Well, maybe not "most" but certainly a significant number advocate just that position ... very emphatically.  They've been agitating for the Bills to do whatever they have to do -- "tank" or trade up -- to take a QB since TC last summer when nobody had any idea what QBs would be in the 2018 draft.  Even now, numerous posters advocate the Bills trading up to get a QB without having any specific QB in mind, even if he would be the fourth or fifth best QB prospect taken, so I think it's safe to say that many posters do advocate that the Bills "go get a QB to just get one..."

55 minutes ago, nucci said:

Isn't Beane the GM?

It seems that he might be subordinate to McDermott when it comes to personnel decisions.  As someone mentioned, McDermott had at least some if not most of the say in Beane's hiring.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Well, maybe not "most" but certainly a significant number advocate just that position ... very emphatically.  They've been agitating for the Bills to do whatever they have to do -- "tank" or trade up -- to take a QB since TC last summer when nobody had any idea what QBs would be in the 2018 draft.  Even now, numerous posters advocate the Bills trading up to get a QB without having any specific QB in mind, even if he would be the fourth or fifth best QB prospect taken, so I think it's safe to say that many posters do advocate that the Bills "go get a QB to just get one..."

I really want us to make a move and get a rookie QB. I was ok if we sucked this year and had an opportunity to pick higher (For BPA with our holes, pass rushing or QB would be ideal, but by far BPA) and I am also a fan of trading up for a guy, the caveat has always been and will always be - you have to do your homework and know for a fact that this is your guy; and believe it strongly enough to place your job on the line for it. It cannot be a panic move...

Rosen is one I would go and get, Darnold I am okay with and Mayfield as well. Outside of them, I wouldn't give up a ton to grab Lamar or Rudolph (very iffy on him) & I would run away from Allen too busty for me...