Super Bowl Champion Coach Pederson offers advice to Buffalo Bills (or all middling teams)

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year.  Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year.  Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

marrone taking a knee with :54 left in the first half and 2 timeouts says hello

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I, and I'm sure a few others, made this point last night. One of the biggest areas I would like to see growth from McD is in terms of being aggressive. That feels weird to say about a coach who benched his starter in the middle of a playoff run for a rookie QB but it rings true to me. McD, and maybe Dennison contributed, ran a very conservative offense. Punting in OT was the most egregious example but there were many more.

Sure, personnel plays a role in that, but Foles isn't Brady...and neither is Burton for that matter.

If you have talent on your team then you can take more chances. If not then you have to be more conservative like the Bills were last year. I don't think I would categorize McD as overly conservative without a few seasons of data.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 6

28 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Whoaoa!  Now this is Exhibit A of how, when you get a guy out from under his mentor, he may morph in a way you do NOT expect.  3 years under Andy Reid as OC did NOT lead me to predict this quote!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

If you have talent on your team then you can take more chances. If not then you have to be more conservative like the Bills were last year. I don't think I would categorize McD as overly conservative without a few seasons of data.

I fully agree. You have to have the horses, on both sides of the ball, to be aggressive. Way too many weaknesses on the Bills this year on O and D which forces a general conservativeness

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

. That feels weird to say about a coach who benched his starter in the middle of a playoff run for a rookie QB .

Stop with that. Your QB came from  a 65 yards passing  game and you think still playing him is be agressive. The move certainly  wasn't go well but not was  a consevative move.

And play agressive without smarts is stupid

Edited by poblano
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Before we all start piling on Buffalo's coaching staff, there's a big difference in playing aggressive with a cast like Blount/Ajayi/Jeffery/Ertz/Agholor/Torrey Smith and Nick Foles playing the best football of his life vs. playing aggressive with guys like Deonte Thompson and Andre Holmes with Tyrod at QB.

Some teams have one formula for winning; for McDermott's team this year, his conservative approach was the correct one.

What's most important is that he learns to adapt as the makeup of his team changes.

• Like (+1) 5

All comes down to having a QB that has the skills to make it happen. That is willing to hang it out to drive that team to a win. 

Without it you get conservative Taylor made of not good enough.

Scheme of a limited QB.

Tyrod is a QB that needs to be carried, sure would be nice to have a QB that is good enough to run a full play book.

Tyrod is a QB that will get coachs fired for his not good enough, just see the last 3 years. 

Edited by xRUSHx