Super Bowl Champion Coach Pederson offers advice to Buffalo Bills (or all middling teams)

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Frank doesn't do any play calling in Philly, not sure if he did in San Diego. I like him as a person but I'm not sure Frank will ever be a HC as not sure he has the "fire" to be one. Also by making the playoffs think McDermott has bought himself at least three more seasons here and can't see Reich being a HC candidate the next few years.

...at the same time, even though he was the Saints OC, I doubt Marrone called any plays with Payton in charge.......so it is not necessarily a resume' negative........and we really don't know the depth & extent of these OC/HC relationships, but they both had/have pretty good tutors.....could Frank become a HC some day?...possibly, but needs more seasoning at this point in time....

8 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year.  Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

When it works, it's aggressive forward thinking balls out coaching.  When it fails, you're the Atlanta Falcons in last years SB.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year.  Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

This is so damn refreshing to hear from an NFL coach. Because smart fans/analysts have been saying it for years. Goes to show how dumb you have to be to go into football coaching.

10 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

That’s just great, I love it! 

How the hell was this guy ever an OC for Andy friggin Reid though? :lol:

12 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Yep.

Both times the Eagles went for it on 4th down, before I even knew they were gonna go for it I said to the people at the Super Bowl party I was at that I thought they should have gone for it.

I don't think this is a McDermott trait, though.  I hope he just hands complete offensive control over to Dabol and Dabol hs been influenced plenty by the Hoodie.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yep.

Both times the Eagles went for it on 4th down, before I even knew they were gonna go for it I said to the people at the Super Bowl party I was at that I thought they should have gone for it.

I don't think this is a McDermott trait, though.  I hope he just hands complete offensive control over to Dabol and Dabol hs been influenced plenty by the Hoodie.

Bill Belichick once took the wind when playing Peyton Manning

11 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

All comes down to having a QB that has the skills to make it happen. That is willing to hang it out to drive that team to a win. 

Without it, you get conservative Taylor made of not good enough.

Scheme of a limited QB.

Tyrod is a QB that needs to be carried, sure would be nice to have a QB that is good enough to run a full playbook.

Tyrod is a QB that will get coaches fired for his not good enough, just see the last 3 years. 

Exactly, and although he doesn't turn the ball over it's not because he is successfully aggressive, like Foles, like Brady. It's because he won't throw the ball unless the receiver is wide open.

I think this team is headed for change at the QB position. I just hope that the new OC is up to the task of calling a game like Pederson. 

12 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Don't tell the Bills fans that they have a conservative head coach

2 hours ago, Rico said:

That’s just great, I love it! 

How the hell was this guy ever an OC for Andy friggin Reid though? :lol:

I think Reid called all the offensive plays like he did midway through this season.

Then Reid turned the playcalling over to Matt Nagy and the team went on a winning spree. Probably why Magy was hired as the new Chicago Bears head coach.

10 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

I concede. You have to be right. Took me a while but now I get it. The guy went toe-to-toe with the Pats, only punted once all day, and when he had a chance to put the unquestionable nail in the coffin, he settled for a risky (your words) FG to hold an 8 point lead. While most of the world can't see it, you do, and now I do too. I will help spread your message and together, we will convince everyone that Pederson wasn't really aggressive for 60 full minutes.

Pederson did make a conservative mistake at the end. It wasn’t the third down call - that was the correct move to ensure they stay in FG range and burn another 40 seconds off the clock.

The conservative call came on 2nd down with 2:03 left on the clock. After 2nd down the clock was going to stop no matter what, that was the down to attack through the air, attempt to get the 1st down and put the Pats away without ever attempting the FG.

Obviously it all worked out in the end but that 2nd down play call was a mistake.

Edited by MDH

4 hours ago, ricojes said:

When it works, it's aggressive forward thinking balls out coaching.  When it fails, you're the Atlanta Falcons in last years SB.

I would say Atlanta last year strengthens the argument.  They took their foot off the gas in the second half and played the lead, and they paid dearly for it.

1 minute ago, simool said:

I would say Atlanta last year strengthens the argument.  They took their foot off the gas in the second half and played the lead, and they paid dearly for it.

I disagree.  They kept trying to throw the ball when running it and milking the clock was the smart move.  Remember they were up 28-3 and time was on their side.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I disagree.  They kept trying to throw the ball when running it and milking the clock was the smart move.  Remember they were up 28-3 and time was on their side.

They drastically altered what they had been doing.  It cost them the game.  Playing not to lose is not smart at all.

Edited by simool