What's behind the Byrd firing?

gjv001

If there was one bright spot on our defense it was the unexpectedly good performance of our secondary. I can understand a position coach being replaced because of the underperformance of his unit. But in this case, I would think Byrd performance deserved a promotion or raise. Perhaps this is just a case of old fashion cronyism. If so it's a sad mistake by  McDermott.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s not surprising that Bills new secondary coach John Butler has a history with head coach Sean McDermott, but their ties are not from the coaching world.

The two accomplished coaches have never coached together. Butler and McDermott were actually high school teammates on the LaSalle College high school football team in Philadelphia.

Former Houston CB A.J. Bouye, who signed a huge free agent contract with Jacksonville, after emerging as a Pro Bowl caliber talent under Butler, credited him for his development into a premier NFL cornerback.

“He’s helped me out a lot,” said Bouye, of Butler. “Sometimes, we joke about all the meetings we have. At the end of the day, you have to appreciate it. He’s always letting us know what to expect. We watch so much film. He’s keeping us alert and he’s helped out a lot on our techniques and studying film. It makes it easy.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2018/01/31/butler-has-history-with-mcdermott/

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Personally I think he should get a young staff full of workers. A bunch of up and comers. I'd want the only lifer to be the Oline coach. The entire league is different. It's more of College and or flag football now.

Agism! 

32 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

If there was one bright spot on our defense it was the unexpectedly good performance of our secondary. I can understand a position coach being replaced because of the underperformance of his unit. But in this case, I would think Byrd performance deserved a promotion or raise. Perhaps this is just a case of old fashion cronyism. If so it's a sad mistake by  McDermott.

Maybe he was a jerk. His son certainly is. 

I think Butler would be viewed as an upgrade in most NFL circles. 

He's had an awful lot of success as a DB coach (#2 rated passing defense 3 of the last 4 years).

And he is looked at as a defensive coordinator, and maybe even head coach (eventually) in waiting. 

I cant remember seeing anyone say that about Gill Byrd. I don't remember him ever even being brought up in DC or HC conversations. 

I just don't see how you can say it's cronyism when we are talking about a guy with such a successful track record as a DB coach. 

Edited by BillsFan4