Bills still making Bad Contract decisions

MAJBobby

26 minutes ago, PIP said:

Good teams (Pats) don't make this mistake.

Yes they do. They swing n miss too. I don't feel like doing research but they threw Gillisslee 30+ million to not even dress. This was a freak thing, totally disagree with this one. Every GM misses, gotta hit more than you miss.

35 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This team has a history of making bad and player friendly contracts (Williams and Darues). I thought maybe they turned to corner with the way TT contracts have been handled. 

However, the Eric Wood extension comes. As much as I like Wood I didnt like the extension because of his age and fit with the offense type we were trying to build last year. However with his neck and retirement more issues come to mind. 

1.  How is a degenerative issue missed in the last couple exit physicals? (Doubt it was). 

2.  So if it wasnt how are you going to give guarantees in out years of a contract when essentially the players health at that point is year to year?

Could you share those medical reports that you would have to have read for your opinion to be of any value whatsoever?

• Like (+1) 4

these things happen.  my brother in law as a pro athlete.  he signed a 5 year guaranteed contract, and had to retire this year because of concussion issues, (team still has 3 years left to pay).  he had had concussions before this contract was signed, but after this season, he had taken more, and it was determined that he shouldn't play anymore.  he felt he could still play, but the team doctors didn't want him to continue.  it's life.

i get this team has done a lot wrong, but people try far to hard to be angry about something.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, teef said:

these things happen.  my brother in law as a pro athlete.  he signed a 5 year guaranteed contract, and had to retire this year because of concussion issues, (team still has 3 years left to pay).  he had had concussions before this contract was signed, but after this season, he had taken more, and it was determined that he shouldn't play anymore.  he felt he could still play, but the team doctors didn't want him to continue.  it's life.

i get this team has done a lot wrong, but people try far to hard to be angry about something.

Yeah, I've heard the National Duckpin Bowling Congress doesn't screw around with head injuries.

Every team deals with this type of situation.

I guess I look at it differently. Woods gets to spend the rest of his life not being a quadriplegic....  Its a win situation..

really worries me that people resort to placing blame for this or are more concerned with the salary cap and roster ramifications.

It is what it is. Thanks Eric for the service... Anyone remember that horrible broken leg the guy had his 1st season here. Guy paid some big dues for that guarnteed portion of his paycheck

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Wood

in his 10th game, Wood sustained a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula in the fourth quarter of an 18–15 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars,[

It was reported that Wood suffered a broken leg playing in a game against the Seattle Seahawks on November 7, 2016. The Bills reported that this injury would keep Wood out for the remainder of the season.[17] He was placed on injured reserve on November 14, 2016.[18]

On August 26, 2017, Wood signed a two-year, $16 million contract extension with the Bills.[19]

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He already made a statement regarding the injury and when it was diagnosed.

ok. I did see something about degenerative thought...to me that seems like it's been ongoing. Perhaps it was someone else saying it.  Who knows. All teams go through injuries and we've been pretty lucky the last couple seasons to be honest. But the way you read around here we're the only ones going them. 

Wood's contract is only a "bad contract" because he can't play football.  Would it have been "bad contract" if it wasn't a long-standing condition but a game injury like what happened to Ryan Shazier? 

Maybe the Bills medical staff should have been more thorough but I don't know that teams are necessarily going to do MRIs, xrays, etc if the player hasn't had a history of a specific injury or complaints about pain.   It's just one of those "manure happens" situations.

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This team has a history of making bad and player friendly contracts (Williams and Darues). I thought maybe they turned to corner with the way TT contracts have been handled. 

However, the Eric Wood extension comes. As much as I like Wood I didnt like the extension because of his age and fit with the offense type we were trying to build last year. However with his neck and retirement more issues come to mind. 

1.  How is a degenerative issue missed in the last couple exit physicals? (Doubt it was). 

2.  So if it wasnt how are you going to give guarantees in out years of a contract when essentially the players health at that point is year to year?

I have posted it a few times in various threads, but the link below is a good explanation of the process on the physicals. Keep in mind that we know very little detail on his medical situation, as it should be. It has been described as a “complicated medical situation”. Tough to draw any conclusions on one statement given by a player and a few tweets from Adam Schefter about his medical situation as none of us have access to his medical records  (insert Schefty joke here). I highly recommend reading this article about Wood’s situation from a former nfl team doctor:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-eric-wood-injury-neck-retiring-0126-story.html

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, teef said:

If we knew what was going on in a given team's front office we might be surprised at the risks they knowingly take.  And let's not kid ourselves in that a number of times taking a risk is unavoidable.  No doubt the Bills took stock of its O-Line situation and that high quality centers do not grow on trees and it is difficult to find one through free agency or the draft so they took a chance on Wood.  

Just now, SoTier said:

Wood's contract is only a "bad contract" because he can't play football.  Would it have been "bad contract" if it wasn't a long-standing condition but a game injury like what happened to Ryan Shazier? 

Maybe the Bills medical staff should have been more thorough but I don't know that teams are necessarily going to do MRIs, xrays, etc if the player hasn't had a history of a specific injury or complaints about pain.   It's just one of those "manure happens" situations.

I could make the arguement that we needed an upgrade at that position. Giving Wood an extension was a poor choice simply based on that. Kudos to Wood for all he did in this community and organization. He will be missed, but I’m not certain that Wood was much more than a McD “locker room guy”. The injury was likely unforeseen, but the quality of play speaks for itself. Wood isn’t a guy I would have offered an extension to begin with. 

39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Was the team supposed to know in advance that he was going to sustain a career ending neck injury?

Way to miss the point entirely, slick.

Coming from you, no surprise, though

Edited by Boyst62

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If we knew what was going on in a given team's front office we might be surprised at the risks they knowingly take.  And let's not kid ourselves in that a number of times taking a risk is unavoidable.  No doubt the Bills took stock of its O-Line situation and that high quality centers do not grow on trees and it is difficult to find one through free agency or the draft so they took a chance on Wood.  

i thought the extension was a little strange too, and just assumed it was more for leadership than anything else.  i can see people questioning the extension to begin with, but whatever the reason, i don't think retiring due to an injury is a good reason to be upset.

• Like (+1) 2

"Degenerative" doesn't mean it started it years ago; it could have kicked in in the middle of this past season due to what seemed like a minor injury. Please, please don't assume that his neck was a problem before signing of his most recent contract. That's just dumb (because blind and uninformed) speculation. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

This is just not a good post.

It implies that they saw the problem earlier - utterly ridiculous to assume they saw anything dangerous and let him play - or alternately that giving a 9th year guy an extension is never a good idea - just flat-out dumb.

The extension was reasonable. And poor Wood was unlucky, as were the Bills. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Yep, hindsight is always 20-20 but to make the right decisions as they come due is an entirely different proposition.  

yup, and the motivations of all parties to have a man on the field if it is remotely possible can be less than clean...

As someone with two fully collapsed lumbar discs, I can unequivocally say that yes... These things do get missed.  When I found out about my situation the damage was already done.  The osteoarthritis emerging at the edge of each vertebrae and the pain it was causing is ultimately what enabled it to be found.  Instantly changed my life and the decisions I make everyday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PIP said:

Good teams (Pats) don't make this mistake.

You're right, because when they signed Ninkovich to an extension in 2016, he was in his 11th year, not his 9th like Wood.  

Signed the extension in 2016, in Feb. extending through the 2017 season and then retired in July before the season, costing them a bunch of dead money.

It's not a mistake. It's a cost of playing the game. And the Pats do it same as everyone else. They've ended up with dead money from Jerod Mayo (re-structured him in April 2015 and cut him in Feb. 2016) , from Scott Chandler, and it would be easy to go on and on with guys like Revis, Mankins and Kyle Arrington who cost them $12.5 mill in dead money in one year between them.

26 minutes ago, simool said:

As someone with two fully collapsed lumbar discs, I can unequivocally say that yes... These things do get missed.  When I found out about my situation the damage was already done.  The osteoarthritis emerging at the edge of each vertebrae and the pain it was causing is ultimately what enabled it to be found.  Instantly changed my life and the decisions I make everyday.

Ouch. Hang in there, and good luck.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Yes they do. They swing n miss too. I don't feel like doing research but they threw Gillisslee 30+ million to not even dress. This was a freak thing, totally disagree with this one. Every GM misses, gotta hit more than you miss.

So far, the Gillislee contract hasn't proved a good one for them, but it wasn't $30 mill. $6.4 mill over 2 years. Was that a typo? Did you mean $3+ mill per year?

In any case, hasn't worked out for them.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1