Bills still making Bad Contract decisions

MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Thats what the contract is. He keeps signing bonus and cant touch the INJ guarantee. Smart for Front Office to write that extension for a player coming off IR. 

You know what's funny about you?

If they HADN'T re-signed wood, and he went elsewhere, was healthy and performed, you'd be bitching about that too.

Because that's what you do. Caterwaul. About EVERYTHING.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Thats what the contr\act is. He keeps signing bonus and cant touch the INJ guarantee. Smart for Front Office to write that extension for a player coming off IR. 

Nope.  The team can (and should, considering the salary injury guarantee) demand the unamortized SB back.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

You know what's funny about you?

If they HADN'T re-signed wood, and he went elsewhere, was healthy and performed, you'd be bitching about that too.

Because that's what you do. Caterwaul. About EVERYTHING.

Nope i wouldnt have. But you know whats funny about you. One Bills Drive can do nothing wrong ever. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Nope.  The team can (and should, considering the salary injury guarantee) demand the unamortized SB back.

Yes they could. And it would be a NFLPA fight. They should as well. But then again should have never written a big INJ guarantee for an aging player coming off IR in the first place 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes they could. And it would be a NFLPA fight. They should as well. But then again should have never written a big INJ guarantee for an aging player coming off IR in the first place 

The injury guarantee allows the Bills to ask for the SB back.  And I expect it to be a NFLPA fight.  We'll see where it shakes out.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

On the flip side, you can't dole out $13M/year to guys like Gilmore and expect to remain competitive.  You have to know which players to let walk and yes, replace them in the draft or FA.

They extended him prior to knowing about any injury.  That's just bad luck.  And we'll see where this shakes out.  Again I doubt he sees both the $4.3M remaining in unamortized SB and the $4.8M salary guarantee for 2018.

Just my opinion but you can't have more than 6 guys under large contracts for your starting 22 never mind big deals for QB's, CB's, C (the elites bring huge money), and DL for instance.  This all points to needing to pull out more players from the draft which Pegula has addressed by expanding scouting dept resources.  Every position at some point should realistically be expected to work off of a  rookie contract including QB.  Obviously, unusual circumstances arise  but having a 2 or 3 year plan to address most positions on a team is vital.  In regards to QB for the Bills I have no problem with a FA QB for this year along with a high end developmental prospect but within 3 years I would like to see a young draftee starting on a rookie deal.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nope i wouldnt have. But you know whats funny about you. One Bills Drive can do nothing wrong ever. 

Are we talking about the same joesixpack here Bobby?   Seems to me that he has found plenty of fault with mgt decisions in the past much the same as you have.

I am just curious....if it comes back later on that Wood and bills brass work out some sort of way to gain cap relief from this.....will you come back and acknowledge that?   The reason why I ask is I think Wood was rewarded for being a leader and "team player" just as much as he was for his play on the field.....and maybe he returns that favor?

<yawn>  Nothing to see here.  Move along.

Wood participated fully in the offseason.  He signed an extension before the start of the season.  He got an injury in October.

How is this the fault of the Front Office?

It is an unfortunate event.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

The injury guarantee allows the Bills to ask for the SB back.  And I expect it to be a NFLPA fight.  We'll see where it shakes out.

According to SPOTRAC the signing bonus is safe (it was an football INJ and his INJ guarantee will be paid). 

Calling this just a delay to save 2.1M in cap as opposed to taking the 10+M dead cap hit before 1 June

Just now, MTBill said:

<yawn>  Nothing to see here.  Move along.

Wood participated fully in the offseason.  He signed an extension before the start of the season.  He got an injury in October.

How is this the fault of the Front Office?

It is an unfortunate event.

So is it smart to give big INJ guarantees to a player in year two of an extension when he is older and coming off IR? 

8 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Are we talking about the same joesixpack here Bobby?   Seems to me that he has found plenty of fault with mgt decisions in the past much the same as you have.

I am just curious....if it comes back later on that Wood and bills brass work out some sort of way to gain cap relief from this.....will you come back and acknowledge that?   The reason why I ask is I think Wood was rewarded for being a leader and "team player" just as much as he was for his play on the field.....and maybe he returns that favor?

Sure i will give them credit for when he retires June 1st and saves 2.1M. However the contract itself is still bad in terms of a Big INJ guarantee for a older player coming off IR 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

According to SPOTRAC the signing bonus is safe (it was an football INJ and his INJ guarantee will be paid). 

Calling this just a delay to save 2.1M in cap as opposed to taking the 10+M dead cap hit before 1 June

So is it smart to give big INJ guarantees to a player in year two of an extension when he is older and coming off IR? 

Sure i will give them credit for when he retires June 1st and saves 2.1M. However the contract itself is still bad in terms of a Big INJ guarantee for a older player coming off IR 

I think that is fair.....I think that this was a "good soldier" contract in some ways.

If Wood works with them for relief.....I see all of this as a non issue.

Just now, John from Hemet said:

I think that is fair.....I think that this was a "good soldier" contract in some ways.

If Wood works with them for relief.....I see all of this as a non issue.

Ahhh the good Soldier Contracts. I am sick of them. They are players Employees. And a player thay is older coming off IR should not be given big INJ guarantees. But glad Jim the untouchable gets to stick around regime after regime and the player favored contracts just keep coming and coming. Eric being the latest. 

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

This team has a history of making bad and player friendly contracts (Williams and Darues). I thought maybe they turned to corner with the way TT contracts have been handled. 

However, the Eric Wood extension comes. As much as I like Wood I didnt like the extension because of his age and fit with the offense type we were trying to build last year. However with his neck and retirement more issues come to mind. 

1.  How is a degenerative issue missed in the last couple exit physicals? (Doubt it was). 

2.  So if it wasnt how are you going to give guarantees in out years of a contract when essentially the players health at that point is year to year?

This is not a good post. Eric Woods played very well this year and the contract was fair for both parties barring the injury which certainly nobody knew about. To accuse any medical staff of letting a player continue to play football with a life threatening issue is irresponsible. 

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh the good Soldier Contracts. I am sick of them. They are players Employees. And a player thay is older coming off IR should not be given big INJ guarantees. But glad Jim the untouchable gets to stick around regime after regime and the player favored contracts just keep coming and coming. Eric being the latest. 

Wood was a bottom tier center, but many here will never believe that. He became a figure who was almost like an on field mascot. His play did not warrant a contract extension.