Bills still making Bad Contract decisions

MAJBobby

The Pats have built a dynasty off great signings of castoffs and short-term projects, not many are going to the Hall besides #12, 10 years from now most fans won't be able to name 10 players that Brady had around him to win.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

This team has a history of making bad and player friendly contracts (Williams and Darues). I thought maybe they turned to corner with the way TT contracts have been handled. 

However, the Eric Wood extension comes. As much as I like Wood I didnt like the extension because of his age and fit with the offense type we were trying to build last year. However with his neck and retirement more issues come to mind. 

1.  How is a degenerative issue missed in the last couple exit physicals? (Doubt it was). 

2.  So if it wasnt how are you going to give guarantees in out years of a contract when essentially the players health at that point is year to year?

Easy enough to say in hindsight. Have a link showing your misgivings at the time of the signing?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

"Degenerative" doesn't mean it started it years ago; it could have kicked in in the middle of this past season due to what seemed like a minor injury. Please, please don't assume that his neck was a problem before signing of his most recent contract. That's just dumb (because blind and uninformed) speculation. 

Correct.   The injury itself is not the issue.

The issue was why extend his contract in the first place?  To make room to give Shady incentives?:lol::doh:  

For some reason fans just accept these Billsy oddities like they are standard practice around the NFL.   

Yes, the Pats have made a few bad contract decisions over the Brady era.

That means the Bills have been just fine.

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

I enjoy having people in my life who quote "hindsight 20/20" every time a mistake is brought up, what psychotic complex is going through their souls....

At the time Wood was given the contract extension I didnt understand it

- He was getting older

- Groy has shown that he can be inserted and the team not have a drop off in production

but....not all bad contracts are created equal.....the Marcel D. contract was a bad crippling contract......this one really does not hurt us that much

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have posted it a few times in various threads, but the link below is a good explanation of the process on the physicals. Keep in mind that we know very little detail on his medical situation, as it should be. It has been described as a “complicated medical situation”. Tough to draw any conclusions on one statement given by a player and a few tweets from Adam Schefter about his medical situation as none of us have access to his medical records  (insert Schefty joke here). I highly recommend reading this article about Wood’s situation from a former nfl team doctor:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-eric-wood-injury-neck-retiring-0126-story.html

Thanks for this, really good article. 

2 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

At the time Wood was given the contract extension I didnt understand it

- He was getting older

- Groy has shown that he can be inserted and the team not have a drop off in production

but....not all bad contracts are created equal.....the Marcel D. contract was a bad crippling contract......this one really does not hurt us that much

Groy was also brought in as insurance for OG.  As I recall it was along the lines of being a pleasant surprise that Groy performed as well as he did when he filled in at center.  Dareus was about not letting a Top 5 pick walk without compensation for the team.  Even then the best thing the team could have said was don't let the door hit you in the behind as you walk out. 

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Yes, the Pats have made a few bad contract decisions over the Brady era.

That means the Bills have been just fine.

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

I enjoy having people in my life who quote "hindsight 20/20" every time a mistake is brought up, what psychotic complex is going through their souls....

Obviously you missed the point.  The OP posted as if to say that the Bills are the only team to hand out bad contracts (again, as if they should be able to predict the future, that 20/20 hindsight thing you hate hearing) and the next poster made a dumb post about how the Cheaters don't do this.  No one said it's "just fine."  It's the cost of doing business for any team, and especially for a small/unattractive market like Buffalo.

45 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're right, because when they signed Ninkovich to an extension in 2016, he was in his 11th year, not his 9th like Wood.  

Signed the extension in 2016, in Feb. extending through the 2017 season and then retired in July before the season, costing them a bunch of dead money.

It's not a mistake. It's a cost of playing the game. And the Pats do it same as everyone else. They've ended up with dead money from Jerod Mayo (re-structured him in April 2015 and cut him in Feb. 2016) , from Scott Chandler, and it would be easy to go on and on with guys like Revis, Mankins and Kyle Arrington who cost them $12.5 mill in dead money in one year between them.

Ouch. Hang in there, and good luck.

So far, the Gillislee contract hasn't proved a good one for them, but it wasn't $30 mill. $6.4 mill over 2 years. Was that a typo? Did you mean $3+ mill per year?

In any case, hasn't worked out for them.

Winning can cover up a lot of sins where the Pats are concerned.  Had things unfolded differently when Brady was drafted and that he went to a different team the Pats of the past 15 plus years would most likely look entirely different.  Far fewer AFC titles and Super Bowls.  

I can see both sides of it. It would be like signing Bridgewater to a 3 year 50 million contract with 20mil guaranteed with no injury clause. I love Eric Wood as a player and team leader but I don't see why you would extend a player when you know he has a high injury risk. How does the team not put writing in the contrat to protect itself from things like this.

• Like (+1) 1

Nobody can say this extension was a bad decision, but Wood did have an injury history with this team including breaking his leg twice midseason and missing the rest of the year on two separate occasions.

The only issue I had with the extensions is thought it might be a bit premature because Wood has never truly been an elite center, just very good and consistent in most cases but certainly not top shelf compared to some of his peers.

Regardless it's a moot point and not worth debating given his untimely end to his NFL career.

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

just very good and consistent in most cases but certainly not top shelf compared to some of his peers.

Half the teams in the league would have lopped off a left testicle for Eric Wood.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, simool said:

Half the teams in the league would have lopped off a left testicle for Eric Wood.

You're right. Again he's a certainly a top 10 - 15 center just like Cordy Glenn is/was at LT, but you still can't pay a guy premium money for that and that's where this team has gotten themselves into trouble during the drought years.

Too soon Maj...

The guy played every snap he could for Buffalo. Im sure he expected to play out his contract too.

This is not a Ricky Williams type situation where a football player retires to smoke up and have coke and hooker parties with Mary McFly and the Ryan Bros.

Agree on cutting down on player friendly contracts but this one is an anamoly considering the iniury and its severity to basic human life.

1 hour ago, teef said:

i thought the extension was a little strange too, and just assumed it was more for leadership than anything else.  i can see people questioning the extension to begin with, but whatever the reason, i don't think retiring due to an injury is a good reason to be upset.

I think both Wood and K Williams were signed not only for their talent but to provide GLUE/cohesiveness for the team.  

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

This team has a history of making bad and player friendly contracts (Williams and Darues). I thought maybe they turned to corner with the way TT contracts have been handled. 

However, the Eric Wood extension comes. As much as I like Wood I didnt like the extension because of his age and fit with the offense type we were trying to build last year. However with his neck and retirement more issues come to mind. 

1.  How is a degenerative issue missed in the last couple exit physicals? (Doubt it was). 

2.  So if it wasnt how are you going to give guarantees in out years of a contract when essentially the players health at that point is year to year?

This is all kind of stupid