Beane's Transactions

Ittakestime

47 minutes ago, Saosin said:

Apologies that I don't spend the majority of my day posting responses on an internet forum.  I've been here 12 years and browse this website everyday.  Don't get me wrong - I wrote a "douchey" post, and deserved your response; I get where you're coming from overall, and I'll address those issues below, but you're just as guilty as I am for "blindly trashing" people if you're going to just assume that I'm an idiot based upon my post count and one emotional response to what I believed to be a troll topic.

You trashed former BBMB members blindly and you admitted being harsh. Kudos. 

WRT your post count, maybe if you interacted with the exiles more you might have been more rational and not  blasted a group but the few individuals.

There are a lot of new members that joined after the shutdown.  That does not mean all new members, good and bad, are from there.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

I just think it's way too early in Beane's tenure to judge him.  

Imagine judging Bill Belichick after his 6-10 rookie season as a HC in Cleveland.  

Or consider Tex Schramm - widely regarded as one of the best GMs in NFL history - who needed 7 years to achieve a winning record in Dallas.  Lots of mistakes were made in those years.   Yet Schramm then went on a streak of 20 consecutive winning seasons, including five SB appearances.   You can now find Schramm's bust in Canton.  

Beane hasn't conducted his first draft yet and people are already judging and condemning him.  

The irony of the OP's screen name - Ittakestime - had already been noted.  Now let's give Beane some.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Being critical of him for trading down with the Chiefs and not the Texans on the draft day trade when he was still working for the Panthers. 

Yikes. 

We all know who's really in charge its Mcd no doubt about it.  He did us a disservice by making the deal with his buddy Andy instead of making the right decision for the Bills. Hou was the obvious choice to make a deal with they were the worst of the 2 teams and definitely had the worst QB of the 2 in a unproven Savage. Make no mistake about it Hou was looking to make a deal and its easy to see when u wanna get in a spot you start calling teams in advance.  

Much too early to judge the new Staff.

Rebuilding takes time and patience. let us stay tuned in.

anyone notice no real leaks about Coaching changes ?
Bills have effectively tightened up the FO Since McBeanes and Pegula shook hands.

Have no idea what they have in mind. A bit of fun for me to consider what happens after the Super Bowl, and then what players they acquire.

I remain positive and hopeful. Love the underdog as well.  Go Bills 

14 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

We all know who's really in charge its Mcd no doubt about it.  He did us a disservice by making the deal with his buddy Andy instead of making the right decision for the Bills. Hou was the obvious choice to make a deal with they were the worst of the 2 teams and definitely had the worst QB of the 2 in a unproven Savage. Make no mistake about it Hou was looking to make a deal and its easy to see when u wanna get in a spot you start calling teams in advance.  

likely a favor being returned to Andy Reid and a sense of good sportsmanship. I have no problem with it except i did not want him traded so soon.

18 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I didn't like the Dareus trade.

Besides that, I am Ok with the other moves.

Got to give him a few years, because the draft will determine if Beane is a good GM or not

Dareus only tries when he feels like it, which isn’t really very often.  He makes huge money for his spotty effort, doesn’t get and keep himself in shape and has missed a lot of time due to suspension and injury.  Other than that, I am outraged that they traded him for a low draft pick.

17 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Much too early to judge the new Staff.

Rebuilding takes time and patience. let us stay tuned in.

anyone notice no real leaks about Coaching changes ?
Bills have effectively tightened up the FO Since McBeanes and Pegula shook hands.

Have no idea what they have in mind. A bit of fun for me to consider what happens after the Super Bowl, and then what players they acquire.

I remain positive and hopeful. Love the underdog as well.  Go Bills 

likely a favor being returned to Andy Reid and a sense of good sportsmanship. I have no problem with it except i did not want him traded so soon.

Reid should return the favor then and trade us Smith for a 5th rder.

37 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I think McD was in charge over a sunken Whaley but from how I understand it Beane is now the  guy in charge of handling the personnel.

58 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Stop with the revisionist history.  The Texans never came calling and even if they did, they and the Chefs were both playoff teams from the year before in weak divisions and their chances of going to the playoffs again were similar. 

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane picked right up where "Whaley" left off trading in the first round with Kansas City instead of.....ya' know......reaching out to QB-destitute Houston?:doh: and costing themselves the #4 pick in the draft..........and not picking up the Watkins 5th year option then selling him low........which did huge damage to the Bills 2017 offense and SW was poised for a huge year, which in a weak WR draft like this one, he'd be worth at least a late first round pick in trade instead of a late second rounder if you needed trade capital. :doh:

This is really about McD's call on these issues.   It's more than unlikely that Whaley would have wanted to pass on SW's 5th year option if it were up to him.   We know McD's connection to Andy Reid was most likely how KC got that 1st round deal and the subsequent Ragland deal hooked up.  

They certainly didn't win 9 games because of any moves once Beane arrived......if anything they did it in spite of those moves.

Beane wasn't even with the Bills during the draft so how is he responsible for not reaching out to "QB-Destitute Houston"?

Beane also wasn't responsible for not picking up Watkins 5th year option. That was announced on May 2nd and Beane got to Buffalo on May 9th.

Whaley did a nice job finding cast offs from other teams to plug in when players got hurt and he is a good college scout but he didn't do that great of a job drafting and he was not a be-all-end-all GM like you're insinuating he was. Hell, if he was still in Buffalo and had his way, EJ Manual would still be the starting QB and we'd be at 18 years and still counting!

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Stop with the revisionist history.  The Texans never came calling and even if they did, they and the Chefs were both playoff teams from the year before in weak divisions and their chances of going to the playoffs again were similar. 

Not really when u got a young unproven QB like Savage heading into the season. I'd be willing to bet vs that team.  Kc had been to the playoffs every season since Andy Reid got there they are a better team then Hou.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Dareus only tries when he feels like it, which isn’t really very often.  He makes huge money for his spotty effort, doesn’t get and keep himself in shape and has missed a lot of time due to suspension and injury.  Other than that, I am outraged that they traded him for a low draft pick.

Lol ok, you’re entitled to you opinion.

I would have kept him for one more year because he counts against the cap anyways and then cut him after that.

Theur run defence got a lot worse when he left. And they were in the middle of a playoff push

58 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Not really when u got a young unproven QB like Savage heading into the season. I'd be willing to bet vs that team.  Kc had been to the playoffs every season since Andy Reid got there they are a better team then Hou.

Osweiler was no great shakes for them last year (59% passing, 5.8 YPA, and 15 TD's passing and 2 TD's rushing to 16 INT's and 1 fumble lost) and they still won the division.  

18 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I would have kept him for one more year because he counts against the cap anyways and then cut him after that.

Theur run defence got a lot worse when he left. And they were in the middle of a playoff push

It looked like a mistake at the time but the Bills still made the playoffs without him.  Keeping him means he ties up even more money for 2018 for a part-time non-dominant player, still shows up late and still doesn't buy into the process.  It was best for both sides to move on.

19 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I think everyone would have liked to got more for Marcel then we got the problem is

- He is a complete gamble......now the jags get to hold their breath in the offseason instead of us to see if he is gonna get in trouble again.....cant stay away from the weed.  Wont stay in shape.....constant discipline problem for showing up late to team meetings...you heard the story right?

- We missed his run support.....but the fact of the matter is past the first year the guy has not lived up to the massive contract he was given.  I dont know about you but I expect a lot more out of a 100 million dollar DT then what he was giving......did it negatively affect the team on the field this year?  Yes....did it massively affect it?  No the D was pretty good.

I fully expect that they are going to address this position.....either in the draft high or a quality free agent.

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

I think everyone would have liked to got more for Marcel then we got the problem is

- He is a complete gamble......now the jags get to hold their breath in the offseason instead of us to see if he is gonna get in trouble again.....cant stay away from the weed.  Wont stay in shape.....constant discipline problem for showing up late to team meetings...you heard the story right?

- We missed his run support.....but the fact of the matter is past the first year the guy has not lived up to the massive contract he was given.  I dont know about you but I expect a lot more out of a 100 million dollar DT then what he was giving......did it negatively affect the team on the field this year?  Yes....did it massively affect it?  No the D was pretty good.

I fully expect that they are going to address this position.....either in the draft high or a quality free agent.

I 100 percent agree with all your points.

I personally just wouldn’t have traded him while they were 5 and 2 and in the midst of breaking the playoff drought. Because at the end of the day he was better than the other DTs not named Kyle Williams.

But ya I definitely understand your point about him being a head case

3 hours ago, RobH063 said:

Beane wasn't even with the Bills during the draft so how is he responsible for not reaching out to "QB-Destitute Houston"?

Beane also wasn't responsible for not picking up Watkins 5th year option. That was announced on May 2nd and Beane got to Buffalo on May 9th.

Whaley did a nice job finding cast offs from other teams to plug in when players got hurt and he is a good college scout but he didn't do that great of a job drafting and he was not a be-all-end-all GM like you're insinuating he was. Hell, if he was still in Buffalo and had his way, EJ Manual would still be the starting QB and we'd be at 18 years and still counting!

Wrong tree.

I said Beane picked up right where "Whaley"(read:McD) left off and then pointed out those things that McD oversaw with Whaley lame-ducking in the FO.

56 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I'm so worried that Beane is going to be another Tim Murray.

This is EXACTLY the concern that we should have.

Remember the whole "Tim Murray gives no !@#$s" movement?:lol::doh:

Beane needs to RAKE this offseason to make up for all the net losses he's endured in the name of getting he and McD's guys.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

2 hours ago, Doc said:

It looked like a mistake at the time but the Bills still made the playoffs without him.  Keeping him means he ties up even more money for 2018 for a part-time non-dominant player, still shows up late and still doesn't buy into the process.  It was best for both sides to move on.

How does his contract work for 2018 again? Even though he is trade, doesn't he still account for a ton of dead money?

Edited by billsfan11

On 1/26/2018 at 7:23 PM, Ittakestime said:

Watkins for Gaines and 2nd = Gaines hurt all year, something new each week.

Darby for Matthews and 3rd = Matthews didn't even finish season from previous injuries.

Wood 2 year extension = Wood retirement before contract even kicked in

Seymour for Clay = Both players ended up contributing for Carolina

Ragland for 4th = Ragland starting LB in KC

Dareus for 5th = Dareus looking great for Jacksonville while we left with dead money

Signed Rod Streater = Didn't play a snap this year

Signed Boldin = Didn't play a snap this year

Traded a 3rd for Benjamin = Benjamin getting hurt 2nd game here (knees were questioned as soon as trade went down, have always been an issue for him).

The way I see it is that the most important trades Beane made were the Watkins trade, the Darby trade, and the Benjamin trade.  

Watkins trade:  I would say we came out far ahead and actually kind of robbed the Rams.  Gaines has played great and we got a second out of it (as well as shipping off Watkins, which could be argued as a plus). 

Darby trade:  At this point, it seems like a bit of a wash.  We didn't get much out of Mathews and they didn't get much more out of Darby b/c of injury.  Mathews didn't do much, but if you consider the fact that Tyrod was the one chucking the ball around, it's hard to blame that on him.  It is very likely that next year, the Eagles will get more out of Darby (he ended up with 3 picks despite an injury shortened season).  When you consider the 3rd round pick, I'd say it's close and that neither team "won" the trade.   

Benjamin trade:  Early returns have not been the greatest, we will see how he does next year (hopefully with a real QB).   At this point, I'd say we came out slightly behind on this one.  But this can easily change depending on what happens with him next year.

So, for the three most important trades, I'd say Beane came out slightly ahead.  But that is subject to change.  I know the point of the OP was to say that his transactions as a whole were bad, but I think for the most important trades... we've done alright. 

With that being said, a lot of the other moves were somewhat silly. 

4 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Eagles got a ton out of Darby. We lost that trade by a country mile. Starting CBs are tough to find. 

Yeah, I think after this year, the Eagles will likely come out ahead.  If he picks off Brady in the superbowl I'm sure a lot of people will be regretting that trade!  But for the moment, I'd say it was a wash b/c Darby missed so much of the season and we got a 3rd out of it.  Definitely could see the argument that we lost the trade

19 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Eagles got a ton out of Darby. We lost that trade by a country mile. Starting CBs are tough to find. 

Good thing we found one in Gaines and drafted a fantastic one in Tre despite trading down to the end of the first round for that extra first round pick

Every time you post you put your foot in your mouth

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Basically, McBeane needs to land a good QB.

Use the picks they acquired to move up if they have to. 

Not getting a QB and then using those picks they got to replace the players they sent packing would be like spinning their wheels.

They already replaced Watkins and Darby.  They'll be looking for a DT early. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

They already replaced Watkins and Darby.  They'll be looking for a DT early. 

Interesting. I'm scanning the Bills roster as I don't recall seeing a WR that could be considered a replacement for Watkins. I still don't. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Good thing we found one in Gaines and drafted a fantastic one in Tre despite trading down to the end of the first round for that extra first round pick

Every time you post you put your foot in your mouth

Yea but Tre might of cost us a franchise QB in Mahomes or Watson,  I don't care if Tre is the next Revis if that trade cost us a franchise guy we lost by a country 100 miles. 

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

16 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Yea but Tre might of cost us a franchise QB in Mahomes or Watson,  I don't care if Tre is the next Revis if that trade cost us a franchise guy we lost by a country 100 miles. 

We have absolutely no idea if either one is going to be a franchise qb...

Mohomes has done nothing

Watson looked great....so did Carr for the Raiders.....remember him?

24 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting. I'm scanning the Bills roster as I don't recall seeing a WR that could be considered a replacement for Watkins. I still don't. 

and you might not see one of his phyical potential......we need guys to come along and Kelvin to stay healthy

8 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

We have absolutely no idea if either one is going to be a franchise qb...

Mohomes has done nothing

Watson looked great....so did Carr for the Raiders.....remember him?

I wanted Mahomes last yr i loved him.  I believe he will be great. Yes he hasn't done nothing yet . But in the finale he  looked the part playing basically 3 quarters throwing for 284yds 22-35 and a pk , 8.1 for attempt.  He also came in late and led a drive to win the gm after the Chiefs blew there lead. He did all this playing with the bkups vs the Broncos D on the road. Lost in the stats are some amazing plays he made with his arm. Yes he threw a ugly pk early in the gm but he bounced bk nicely and had a great gm.  Mahomes is the real deal. 

10 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

You don’t know what you’re talking about. Darby missed half the year and the other half was average at best. He’s been better in the playoffs, but get real.