Neil Diamond: Parkinson's Diagnonsis/Immediate Retirement

Gugny

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/01/22/neil-diamond-announces-parkinsons-diagnosis-immediate-retirement/1056520001/

“It is with great reluctance and disappointment that I announce my retirement from concert touring. I have been so honored to bring my shows to the public for the past 50 years,” said Diamond in a statement, apologizing to those who had purchased tickets to upcoming shows.

I somewhat get the Carolina angle....but the Red Sox?????  For crapssake.....i hated the song before and hate it more because of that

10 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

He was just coming to NC

They play that damn song all the time for Panthers games. It's annoying as ****. And any concrt you go to in NC they'll play it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I somewhat get the Carolina angle....but the Red Sox?????  For crapssake.....i hated the song before and hate it more because of that

Been a Red Sox tradition for a long time now.

Yankees fans like a slight change on the YMCA lyrics for tradition.

2 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Every single damn wedding I've been to in the Boston area.:wallbash:

I've gone out of my way to ruin that song for as many people as possible. The crazy guy in my group of friends up there (he's our Alan from the Hangover) is named Klein.  I've managed to convince a few people that the lyric is "I've been in Klein".  It did the job, they can't listen to it anymore.

But anyway, Parkinson's is a B word.  My dad got the absolute worst of it.  His dad had it too, so I can't wait until it's my turn.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

Every single damn wedding I've been to in the Boston area.:wallbash:

I've gone out of my way to ruin that song for as many people as possible. The crazy guy in my group of friends up there (he's our Alan from the Hangover) is named Klein.  I've managed to convince a few people that the lyric is "I've been in Klein".  It did the job, they can't listen to it anymore.

But anyway, Parkinson's is a B word.  My dad got the absolute worst of it.  His dad had it too, so I can't wait until it's my turn.

No doubt. I went through Parkinsons with my grandmother many years ago. What a miserable experience. I hope it spares you.

As for Sweet Caroline, I like this version:

i've been able to see two of his shows thanks to my parents.  i didn't appreciate it then, but my parents took me to some solid concerts when i was young.

concerning sweet caroline, i'm so sick of that song it's amazing.  they played it at the bc football games, so i just figured it was a strange boston thing.  apparently it was used to annoy people from all over this great country. 

https://williamhenryprince.com/neil-diamond-bob-dylan-the-last-waltz/

The story goes like this: “At The Last Waltz, Neil Diamond came off stage and Bob is just about to go on. As he came off, Diamond said, ‘you’re really gonna have to go some to follow me, man, I was so great.’

And Bob says, ‘What do you want me to do, go on stage and fall asleep?’” :lol:

I wasn't a big fan of his, but my mom played his albums over and over that I got used to listening to him.

I went to a concert of his once as a stand in for someone else, and I must admit that he knew how to put on an entertaining show.

Very sad for him. :(

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Wacka said:

He said he wrote Sweet Caroline for Caroline Kennedy.  Maybe that's why the Red Sox play it.

Yeah... If that's true, what a perv wanting to chester an 11 year... She was 11 when the song was released in '69.

"...Look at the night and it don't seem so lonely
We filled it up with only two
And when I hurt
Hurting runs off my shoulders
How can I hurt when I'm holding you

One, touching one
Reaching out, touching me, touching you..."

Such an annoying song... like the Kennedy's.  Like shrader said above, I go outta my way to wreck it every chance I get, especially with the family in New England... -_-

Anyway... Sad that Neil Diamond has Parkinson's.  My grandmother passed away from it before I was born... Before modern treatment and L-DOPA.  It was pure hell on both my grandmother and grandfather from what I am told.  At that time, she was admitted into a mental hospital. Needless to say, those institutions aren't pretty, especially in that era.  She was in Gowanda (hospital) when she passed away.

Just be thankful we have modern medicine and various drugs and treatment now!

God Bless Neil!