2018 Season Tickets

4_kidd_4

Curious if any STH have received a sales pitch/invoice to renew for 2018 yet.

Reason being, last year.  The body wasn’t even cold on the ‘16 season and I received an email invoice on 1/3/17 for a deposit to renew(which I admittedly disregarded, based on  the previous 14 years of having until around may to decide). It was pretty off putting, but the real kicker was receiving a snail-mail invoice with “FINAL NOTICE” in big red letters about a week later, and a voicemail from my rep saying ‘no guarantee we can hold your seat without that deposit!’.

Felt like a real hustle to me. Had never been badgered that quickly after a season before. I certainly gave them bad feedback about the whole deal when they asked, and I know I wasn’t the only dissatisfied customer.

Then I had to laugh when I heard tix numbers were down considerably, because the “hustle” made sense. Act like demand is up and supply is down. Had ol’ Russ written all over it.

Anyways, I’m assuming the tix office will be a bit more gentle in their approach this offseason, just wondering if anyone’s heard anything as far as renewal/price increases etc.

I'm assuming that we will hear from the Bills pretty soon and I expect an increase because they made the playoffs. Bills tickets are pretty affordable so I will have no issue with a reasonable raise but I might drop my number of seats from 4 to 2. Finding people to go to preseason games and December games had been next to impossible even for this season with the Bills "successfully" fighting for a postseason spot. Preseason (2) + December games (3) = 50% of the season tickets. I can't continue losing money like that every year even though it's not a large sum of money. 2 Seats instead of 4 will do the job in my case. 

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Renew? You bet!  My Sabres seats? They're going bye-bye.

buffafail.jpg

I bought tickets to tomorrow nights game about a month ago. After the last few weeks and especially after the last couple games, I’m totally disgusted with this team. I really don’t want to make the 90 minute trip up to buffalo to watch them get smoked 7-1

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I bought tickets to tomorrow nights game about a month ago. After the last few weeks and especially after the last couple games, I’m totally disgusted with this team. I really don’t want to make the 90 minute trip up to buffalo to watch them get smoked 7-1

Fan support is an illusion right now because season ticket holders are dumping tickets for the minimum $6 StubHub price. Next year watch a bunch of us drop our seats. Then you'll see crowds of under-5,000. (Of course that's when they'll suddenly get good.)

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Fan support is an illusion right now because season ticket holders are dumping tickets for the minimum $6 StubHub price. Next year watch a bunch of us drop our seats. Then you'll see crowds of under-5,000. (Of course that's when they'll suddenly get good.)

Especially after they trade all their decent players not named jack eichel. I thought they were on the verge at the end of last season, all they needed was a coaching change. Whoops

47 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Reason being, last year.  The body wasn’t even cold on the ‘16 season and I received an email invoice on 1/3/17 for a deposit to renew(which I admittedly disregarded, based on  the previous 14 years of having until around may to decide). It was pretty off putting, but the real kicker was receiving a snail-mail invoice with “FINAL NOTICE” in big red letters about a week later, and a voicemail from my rep saying ‘no guarantee we can hold your seat without that deposit!’.

Felt like a real hustle to me. Had never been badgered that quickly after a season before. I certainly gave them bad feedback about the whole deal when they asked, and I know I wasn’t the only dissatisfied customer.

Then I had to laugh when I heard tix numbers were down considerably, because the “hustle” made sense. Act like demand is up and supply is down. Had ol’ Russ written all over it.

Anyways, I’m assuming the tix office will be a bit more gentle in their approach this offseason, just wondering if anyone’s heard anything as far as renewal/price increases etc.

...prolly Dennison making the robo calls......hmmmmm...........

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

I'm assuming that we will hear from the Bills pretty soon and I expect an increase because they made the playoffs. Bills tickets are pretty affordable so I will have no issue with a reasonable raise but I might drop my number of seats from 4 to 2. Finding people to go to preseason games and December games had been next to impossible even for this season with the Bills "successfully" fighting for a postseason spot. Preseason (2) + December games (3) = 50% of the season tickets. I can't continue losing money like that every year even though it's not a large sum of money. 2 Seats instead of 4 will do the job in my case. 

So do you attend any or just try to flip all tix for a profit?

Clearly the ‘secondary market’ has been taking a bigger beating the last few seasons, you saw a huge spike in seasons with the Rex hire, a lot of those were ‘brokers’ jumping in. This past season’s drop off was still part of the Wrex effect, I would think.

But to your point re: preseason/late season, yes we couldn’t give them away either this year. Which did say a lot considering we were in contention all the way through december.

I know my seatmate got a call from his tix rep  in December to “check in”. My friend said he was likely out, and sited the abundance of $10 tix in December for years now, and the worthless preseason tix we have to buy. Said he would still attend games but would just pick and choose secondary market  for select games.

The rep gave him an earload about how you’d likely end up paying a higher premium for september games, and my buddy said “well factor in preseason cost that I’m saving and It’ll even out.”

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...prolly Dennison making the robo calls......hmmmmm...........

I heard they asked Tyrod to make the sales pitch, but the pitch just kept sailing ;)

• Haha (+1) 2

The requirement to buy preseason tickets at regular season pricing in the season ticket package is a league wide scam. No matter how good the Bills are late season games will always be available at severely discounted prices in the secondary market. I understand why people want to be assured of particular seating at most regular season games but having to swallow those preseason games at regular prices is a bridge too far, at least for me. Being a victim of  theft is one thing but allowing yourself to be a willing victim is another thing. 

My complaint isn't about the cost of regular season games. It is the inclusion of unappealing preseason/practice games at regular prices in the season ticket package. This issue isn't a Bills'problem as it is a league directive. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just as a a quick FYI as to why teams try to renew so early it has to do with relocation. Teams need to know what their inventory looks like months before the season starts. It isn’t meant to be a scam as much as it is to have a plan and be able to move the rest of the inventory. 

I understand this completely. My point in the OP was that last year was the first year, after 14 years of personally being a season tix holder, that they attempted to hustle me up to renew. Claiming in January, “need yr $ or we might not be able to hold!”, as if there was a huge rush or waiting list to relocate. Not an outright ‘scam’ by any means, but a pretty transparent rush attempt.

Relocation ‘event’ is usually May, they wait for better weather so people can come by the stadium and ‘see for themselves’.

I went to the wire on renewal a few times, and for 14 years it was always ‘as long as we get a deposit by may’.

5 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I understand this completely. My point in the OP was that last year was the first year, after 14 years of personally being a season tix holder, that they attempted to hustle me up to renew. Claiming in January, “need yr $ or we might not be able to hold!”, as if there was a huge rush or waiting list to relocate. Not an outright ‘scam’ by any means, but a pretty transparent rush attempt.

Relocation ‘event’ is usually May, they wait for better weather so people can come by the stadium and ‘see for themselves’.

I went to the wire on renewal a few times, and for 14 years it was always ‘as long as we get a deposit by may’.

Teams have also moved renewal deadlines earlier to stretch payment plans. We started running a 12 month plan so it became like a car payment or a gym membership. It makes total sense. Every other industry makes you opt out. For some reason teams were a little late to the party and made you opt in. The question shouldn’t be “do you want to renew” it should be “do you want to quit?” 

If we have some sort of plan before the end of March that seems reasonable for QB I have saved a specific amount I'd allocate toward season tickets.  If not, I will use them to games I'd rather see @Green Bay, the opener, and maybe Houston to get revenge on that city and the 6' blonde that broke my heart because I !@#$ing hate that city so much I hope it burns down!  F houston!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I used to love hockey.  I had Center Ice, i'd watch every Sabres game.  Last year i stopped watching much.  This year they have lost me.  I can't even muster that much interest to hate them.  I certainly won't pay for a game anymore.  It's a shame, i was a huge fan and there are others like me in the same boat.

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Teams have also moved renewal deadlines earlier to stretch payment plans. We started running a 12 month plan so it became like a car payment or a gym membership. It makes total sense. Every other industry makes you opt out. For some reason teams were a little late to the party and made you opt in. The question shouldn’t be “do you want to renew” it should be “do you want to quit?” 

That is an awesome idea.   Don't know why they don't do it.   It makes way more sense.

And they would probably make a lot more money because they could raise prices and amortize the payments.

Just like how car dealers tell you it's going to cost $299 per month rather than $38,000.

Edited by PolishDave

Just now, PolishDave said:

That is an awesome idea.   Don't know why they don't do it.   It makes way more sense.

Yeah, it would run the 1st or 15th of every month. You could always have a relocation request open and there was a certain time of year that it would flip from one season to the next. People really seemed to like it and as a team we did too. You didn’t have to worry about losing a bunch of season ticket holders in a down year and they could spread the money out. There were certain guarantees too in terms of price increases. I think it was like a 5% max. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, it would run the 1st or 15th of every month. You could always have a relocation request open and there was a certain time of year that it would flip from one season to the next. People really seemed to like it and as a team we did too. You didn’t have to worry about losing a bunch of season ticket holders in a down year and they could spread the money out. There were certain guarantees too in terms of price increases. I think it was like a 5% max. 

Did you guys crank up prices once you went monthly?

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

Did you guys crank up prices once you went monthly?

No, the price was set and a max after 12 months. So if you paid $100 a month after 12 months the most that it could raise to was like $105 without getting off the plan. It was the same price if you paid for it all at once but just made it easier on people.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

No, the price was set and a max after 12 months. So if you paid $100 a month after 12 months the most that it could raise to was like $105 without getting off the plan. It was the same price if you paid for it all at once but just made it easier on people.

Gotcha.

Can't believe the NFL isn't doing this league wide already.    Seems like a no brainer.   They are very used-car-salesmen-ish  :lol:

Just now, PolishDave said:

Gotcha.

Can't believe the NFL isn't doing this league wide already.    Seems like a no brainer.   They are very used-car-salesmen-ish  :lol:

It really does feel simple. Instead of $100 a month for 12 months they charge you $133 a month for 9 months and then need to try to sell you every year.

It’s pretty stupid. They put a ton of man hours on renewals as well. If you had 60% of your base renewed without having to do a thing think of the money saved? At the same time the season ticket holders don’t want to have to go through the process either. “Let me talk to my group. Jim just had a kid and he may drop out. We may go from 4 to 3 but Scott may just add it...” It just works for everyone of it acts like every other bill. 

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

See when you put it that way, extended plans and all, it makes more sense.

Wait, I missed the other comments, thought the Bills were doing 12mo plans.

I agree though, renew or don’t, no deposits no bologna.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It really does feel simple. Instead of $100 a month for 12 months they charge you $133 a month for 9 months and then need to try to sell you every year.

It’s pretty stupid. They put a ton of man hours on renewals as well. If you had 60% of your base renewed without having to do a thing think of the money saved? At the same time the season ticket holders don’t want to have to go through the process either. “Let me talk to my group. Jim just had a kid and he may drop out. We may go from 4 to 3 but Scott may just add it...” It just works for everyone of it acts like every other bill. 

Yes.

Even the government employs the same technique through income taxes.

If people didn't have the 7.5% of their pay taken for Social Security or the regular income tax withheld from every paycheck - there is absolutely no way in hell most people would pay their income taxes.     The government would not be able to collect a five figure check from 75% of taxpayers on April 15th because a very high percentage of the population would default.

Instead they collect a percentage each week - and the vast majority of people have come to accept it even though they are somewhat silently getting fiscally raped.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What team did you work for that did this? 

Never thought of this for ticket sales. 

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

So do you attend any or just try to flip all tix for a profit?

When I bought my seasons in 2007 I was living in Montreal. At the time I was going to about 50% of the games and was selling the rest to my friends/family members. I moved to Vancouver in 2010 and I no longer can attend games  (1 per season at the most). I rely on my friends/family members but they take only my September and October games. Selling the rest on the secondary market is not easy. There is no good reason for me to keep my seasons other than feeling a bond with my team.

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Bet your boots..they are working up new numbers.

21 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Even the government employs the same technique through income taxes.

If people didn't have the 7.5% of their pay taken for Social Security or the regular income tax withheld from every paycheck - there is absolutely no way in hell most people would pay their income taxes.     The government would not be able to collect a five figure check from 75% of taxpayers on April 15th because a very high percentage of the population would default.

Instead they collect a percentage each week - and the vast majority of people have come to accept it even though they are somewhat silently getting fiscally raped.

Governments are experts at fiscally raping and as in all crimes rich people get laywers/accountants and get off time for good behavior.

• Haha (+1) 1

I usually hope to break even or make a small profit by selling at least one game .I don't see a strong market for the non conference home games, Jax, Det, LA Charg,Chi, Tenn, the away games might have been more marketable Green Bay, Minn, Houston , Indy Balt.   Even with th team in the hunt late season tickets were  dirt cheap  that might have to come up something below the Bronze for market prricng., Tin? I just hope they don't back load the schedule again. 

Edited by Jacobo Peterman

• 4 weeks later...

Still quiet on the season to ticket renewal front. Assume the same for everyone else?

Makes me wonder if it’s in response to a backlash against the very early renewal push last year, OR if they’re waiting to make some kind of splash in free agency first. 

7 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Still quiet on the season to ticket renewal front. Assume the same for everyone else?

Makes me wonder if it’s in response to a backlash against the very early renewal push last year, OR if they’re waiting to make some kind of splash in free agency first. 

Couple guys in a different seat group told me they got calls last week.

Nothing on my end yet. I’m guessing they’re raising prices, otherwise they would have been immediately  all over our emotional high after the drought was broken.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:45 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

They had a captive ticket base due to the playoff runs of 06 and 07, tickets being very cheap vs box office, and the existence of the waiting list.  It has created a false demand.  They have had routine and harsh price increases throughout the decade, along with a disregard for fans, which (people here will cry) has gotten even worse since Russ "marketing genius" Brandon has been brought in as president.  Last year's fan appreciation 5-cent Key Bank sunglasses for the first 10,000 fans was a slap in the face.  It sounds petty, but I nearly tossed my season tickets for that final straw, but talked myself into hanging on for a new coach and possible success.  

The bubble is going to burst this offseason, and its going to be ugly.  

They have avoided the bubble in the past a few times.  Almost hit it in 2010, but we had the Miller/Myers miracle run to the Division title.  When they regressed again the following season, people were again fed up, but Pegula mania took over in the Spring and the future looked limitless.  Then again in 2013, but there was a lockout, and everyone had like half their tickets paid in advance so it was easy to stick it out.  Then, the following year when the theory of tank started and everyone expected a guaranteed Pittsburgh/Chicago run.

But now I dont see anything thats going to prevent the STH bailing like rats off a sinking ship.  This team is pretty far off, Tim Murray messed up bad and salted the earth.  

Since i live out of town and can only attend 1-2 games per season, I decided to finally opt out on Bills season tix.  I've had these seats since 2000.  It's just become too difficult to sell the tix for what i paid for them.  I figure i can cherry pick the game(s) i want to attend and buy great seats on Ticket Exchange or Seat Geek.  It's a less expensive way to go.

Edited by zow2

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

They had a captive ticket base due to the playoff runs of 06 and 07, tickets being very cheap vs box office, and the existence of the waiting list.  It has created a false demand.  They have had routine and harsh price increases throughout the decade, along with a disregard for fans, which (people here will cry) has gotten even worse since Russ "marketing genius" Brandon has been brought in as president.  Last year's fan appreciation 5-cent Key Bank sunglasses for the first 10,000 fans was a slap in the face.  It sounds petty, but I nearly tossed my season tickets for that final straw, but talked myself into hanging on for a new coach and possible success.  

The bubble is going to burst this offseason, and its going to be ugly.  

They have avoided the bubble in the past a few times.  Almost hit it in 2010, but we had the Miller/Myers miracle run to the Division title.  When they regressed again the following season, people were again fed up, but Pegula mania took over in the Spring and the future looked limitless.  Then again in 2013, but there was a lockout, and everyone had like half their tickets paid in advance so it was easy to stick it out.  Then, the following year when the theory of tank started and everyone expected a guaranteed Pittsburgh/Chicago run.

But now I dont see anything thats going to prevent the STH bailing like rats off a sinking ship.  This team is pretty far off, Tim Murray messed up bad and salted the earth.  

I have been waiting for the Sabres bubble to burst for years and I really hope this is the season it happens. Fans have invested too much and expected frankly success too fast IMO not that is their fault either from the product for far too long. On the other hand the team has done zilch for the fans in terms of experience, give aways, food, presentations, and the team itself is a tire fire.

If it takes a year to ground zero expectations and the Sabres Org has to realize they need to do more then so be it things will long term be better.

On 1/10/2018 at 6:33 PM, JohnC said:

The requirement to buy preseason tickets at regular season pricing in the season ticket package is a league wide scam. No matter how good the Bills are late season games will always be available at severely discounted prices in the secondary market. I understand why people want to be assured of particular seating at most regular season games but having to swallow those preseason games at regular prices is a bridge too far, at least for me. Being a victim of  theft is one thing but allowing yourself to be a willing victim is another thing. 

My complaint isn't about the cost of regular season games. It is the inclusion of unappealing preseason/practice games at regular prices in the season ticket package. This issue isn't a Bills'problem as it is a league directive. 

I always look at the price of the entire season and divide by eight. So if I paid $800 for my season ticket, i would just look at it as $100 per game, and they throw in the two preseasons for free. And that is 100% how the teams should market it. How you package things can make a huge difference. On the Washington Metro, you no longer pay a premium at rush hour, you get a discount at non peak hours. Price is the same as it ever was, but getting a discount sounds way more palatable than paying a premium. 

On 1/10/2018 at 6:47 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

that makes sense to me. 

• Like (+1) 2