The reasons why the Bills will not change O Coordinator in offseason - Per WGR on-air discussion

22 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

With this criteria the majority of teams would never hire a new OC or DC.  This items are what most teams face.  

I expect they they will make a move at OC if they feel there is a better coach available, it’s that simple.  You don’t have to give away your draft board to interview anyone.  

I find the the comment about McD not being a high profile coach that can lift others careers to be most inaccurate.  He is the new hot coach.  Expect young bright minds to want to work for him.  

I can see interviewees being ecstatic that their predecessor got 1 year with TT to get results. That'd go a long way toward attracting the best and brightest.

I don't care what TPegs pays either. No career minded HC is going to sign up for not knowing who their QB is going to be. 

51 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

How about 3 of the first 5? I'd like a big DT and a fast MLB in there somewhere.

I like what are no-namers did. Ryan Davis was a lucky find I would take him and maybe Star la la la with a nice serviceable veteran at outside linebacker to replace the overrated Alexander and find ourselves a real middle linebacker. Preston Brown still has a place on my defense if it's up to me I just have to find a way to utilize what he does bring to the table. But three of the first five on offense gives us 1 ball carrier one lineman and one quarterback. I think this team has more needs than that and go should be addressed buy drafting another lineman as depth and a possible running back or wide receiver.

Kareem hunt in Kansas city is yet again another example of what a small town unheard of running back to bring to the table and the league was full of those and they about done guys like Tony Gurley and all the other big names out there that got all the hype

Seems like after listening to Mcdermott he is not against bringing in a new OC.  i think he has a style he want to incorperate on offense by the problem offensively seemed to be play calling and that has never been Dennison's forte.   Depending on who he could bring in Imo he would replace him.  If a rookie Qb is most likley I think you make the change now if you have any worry about Dennison.  You dont want to change Oc's on a rookie if you dont have to.

Edited by Mat68

45 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

I say it again.  Keep TT and give him a wide out receiver and another RB.  Use the great draft choices on a QB to learn the system and the rest on linemen who are big and fast.  Great lines make winners.  Don't trade away draft choices .  Build with them.

My man!  I thought I was the only one on here that thought this.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I never thought he was a 300-carry back - he should be a 240-260 carry and 60 reception back -- and he definitely shouldn't be your grinder when you're managing a 21-13 lead late in the third quarter.  I'm stating the obvious here, but the thing a team needs to do with him is get a second good RB who can fill in while he takes breathers. The Bills did that in 2015-16, and the Eagles did it in 2014 with Sproles (5.8 ypc). Bryce Brown looked like that guy in 2013, but turned out to be a bust.  He has at least one elite season left in him and perhaps two if used properly. 

Re the Jags game, if not for Deonte Thompson's blindingly stupid hold (that defender had no chance at Shady), McCoy ends up with another 33 yards to his yard-from-scrimmage total - 148 in total on 23 touches, I believe. That's a helluva game for a guy in a walking boot earlier in the week.

I thought McCoy played excellent in the wildcard game.   Still there were a number of plays where he gets a lot more yardage if healthier IMO and those plays in the run game would have been just as impactful as the lost yards on the DThompson holding.   They were playing way behind the sticks a lot.   Too many long third downs.   Lorax played out of his head too but that didn't prevent Bortles from running thru ground that LB's should handle for almost 90 yards.    

4 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I like what are no-namers did. Ryan Davis was a lucky find I would take him and maybe Star la la la with a nice serviceable veteran at outside linebacker to replace the overrated Alexander and find ourselves a real middle linebacker. Preston Brown still has a place on my defense if it's up to me I just have to find a way to utilize what he does bring to the table. But three of the first five on offense gives us 1 ball carrier one lineman and one quarterback. I think this team has more needs than that and go should be addressed buy drafting another lineman as depth and a possible running back or wide receiver.

Kareem hunt in Kansas city is yet again another example of what a small town unheard of running back to bring to the table and the league was full of those and they about done guys like Tony Gurley and all the other big names out there that got all the hype

I don't completely disagree, but our 5 picks and we're still in the 3rd round. Unless it's Barkley, I'm waiting until one of our 2 fifth round picks for a RB.

10 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Discussion on WGR arctually points to some valid reasons why a new OC is unlikely this offseason.  The primary points are:

• The QB situation is a complete unknown.  There is no guarantee the Bills land a top FA or a top prospect in the draft
  • No OC worth their salt is going to come to a team with the QB position that is that undetermined and cloudy
  • The Bills can’t tip their hand on offensive and draft strategies to outside OC candidates.  They will not be able to say either way that they will aggressively pursue a QB either through FA or the draft. Even if they do, the Bills fate probably involves a willing partner in the situation.
  •  The WR corps is a mess.  So not only does the OC need to fix the QB role he would have to rebuild the WR position
  • Shady is getting old by NFL RB standards as are Incognito and Woods.  No guarantee that the ground game remains solid in Buffalo.  
  • McDermott is not a high profile coach who will “lift” the career of an OC that has his sights on a HC job
  • The Bills have talent gaps on both sides of the ball.  Which do they give priority to?  No OC will want to come in if the Bills state that their priority is to first address the gaps on the D side of the ball.

The more I think about the above the more it would seem that the Bills have a very weak hand when it comes to the idea of brining in a “known” entity at OC.  Maybe some “up and comer” takes a flier but even that seems unlikely given there are not a lot of tools in the toolbox to work with.

Thoughts?

If the Bills cut Tyrod Taylor loose, they have $44M in cap space with something like $23M of dead cap rolling off the books in 2019.

They have 2 picks in the 1st round, 5 picks altogether in the first 3 rounds.

• They are well positioned to acquire a QB either through trade, FA, or draft.  It could be a draw to a top OC that he could have input into the decision.
  • All these guys have egos.  Every OC candidate thinks he can be The Man that puts B'lo on the winning track year after year.
  • The Bills can't tip their hand, but the OC will know Point 1 and the Bills can pump the OC candidate for his ideas - who do you like, what would your approach be?  It's very seductive for a guy to feel he can gain credit for shaping and improving.  It's not like taking over as OC for Drew Brees or Tom Brady where the only way to go is down, and the QB is going to get a lot of the credit for whatever you do.
  • We have Clay, and O'Leary is developing nicely.  If Benjamin can come back from his injury, and Zay Jones take the usual 1->2 year step, we're a draft pick and a FA signing away from having a good group again
  • Any position can be disrupted - injury, suspension - but Shady looked pretty solid, and the Bills do have the picks to take a RB if the OC sees that as key
  • Just Win Baby.  The team wins, your profile rises Just Fine.
  • Why would the Bills tip their draft priority any more than they'd tip their hand on what QB they plan to pursue?

I dunno I think the above just sounds like defeatest "We're the Bills, We can't have Nice Things" logic.

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree.  I'm sick of the excuse that TT has no WR talent.  REALLY?  Benjamin suddenly sucks?  Thompson was wide open for a TD vs. Jax, and TT missed him.  O'Leary is good, Clay is good.  Matthews was a good-great WR in Philly.   What's the common issue?.  We lack a QB.  And we likely upgrade the OL and RB depth in the draft.  

I'm not a fan of Dennison, but these are very fair points to make.  

Yeah, Dennison's not drawing up plays like okay Tyrod on this one we have Zay run a go route, we're going to need you to throw it 15 yards ahead of him and out of bounds. 

I agree with those saying we could easily find a good OC.

It's a chance to start from the ground up with the OC playing a major role in defining his own situation in Buffalo.

Starting fresh with a top QB prospect he has input into, etc. 

I would think a lot of guys would find that ideal.

11 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yeah Mathews and Benjamin really did not get a chance to prove themselves this year.  The team still lacks a true #1 as it is a stretch to say either of those guys fits that role.  Not to mention they may not sign Mathews to a contract depending on what he may get as he hits FA market.  On top of this Zay Jones had a hugely productive college career that has not translated to the pros.  How much of this he owns vs how much the system or Tyrod’s play comes into the equation is left up to question.

It was Way, considering the drops. I think it's just a confidence/mental issue that sometimes comes with the transition to pros. He should improve as he gets more comfortable.

Also, he doesn't have a good QB. That's certainly a part of it. 

I don't understand why some people don't view KB as a #1 WR. He certainly was in Carolina. An injury doesn't change that.

Dennison has Castillo as oline coach. 

I'm going to still believe Dennison gave the "good to go" on Peterman as he saw fit for his system..

Those reasons alone = get him out of here.  Oh....and clearly Peterman has developed well. 

Give me an OC that can inspire QBs like Tyrod to make every throw on the field.  My guess is the approach with Tyrod has always been and continues to be---"play a safe game."   

That approach doesn't work in 2018.  

14 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Deonte Thompson was signed off the street in week 6 and started as many games as Matthews did. He was tied for most catches by a WR with Zay Jones, but had 23 fewer targets than Zay, and he had the most receiving yards of any of our WRs by 115 yards.

This is a guy who was cut by the Bears, who's biggest weakness going into the draft might just be WR :lol:

They got rid of Inman too though, and apparently still think Kevin White is the future?  Who knows, the Bears are kind of a mess right now in all honesty.  Have they made a good decision in like 2 or 3 years?

Edited by Hurricane Marv

16 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Discussion on WGR arctually points to some valid reasons why a new OC is unlikely this offseason.  The primary points are:

• The QB situation is a complete unknown.  There is no guarantee the Bills land a top FA or a top prospect in the draft
  • No OC worth their salt is going to come to a team with the QB position that is that undetermined and cloudy
  • The Bills can’t tip their hand on offensive and draft strategies to outside OC candidates.  They will not be able to say either way that they will aggressively pursue a QB either through FA or the draft. Even if they do, the Bills fate probably involves a willing partner in the situation.
  •  The WR corps is a mess.  So not only does the OC need to fix the QB role he would have to rebuild the WR position
  • Shady is getting old by NFL RB standards as are Incognito and Woods.  No guarantee that the ground game remains solid in Buffalo.  
  • McDermott is not a high profile coach who will “lift” the career of an OC that has his sights on a HC job
  • The Bills have talent gaps on both sides of the ball.  Which do they give priority to?  No OC will want to come in if the Bills state that their priority is to first address the gaps on the D side of the ball.

The more I think about the above the more it would seem that the Bills have a very weak hand when it comes to the idea of brining in a “known” entity at OC.  Maybe some “up and comer” takes a flier but even that seems unlikely given there are not a lot of tools in the toolbox to work with.

Thoughts?

Interesting breakdown but a bit negative, IMHO.

Most OC candidates, including the best ones, are going to come expecting to have to spend two or three years at the job. On nearly any team they would pick, but certainly here in Buffalo. So yeah, the WRs problem is likely to hurt the offense next year, as is having a rookie high draft pick playing some or all of the season. But if the offense shows improvement over the next few years, the OC will get a huge share of the credit.

IMHO they're underestimating the lure of all those high draft picks we have. An OC would likely have a major voice in what QB would be brought in, including whether we focused on draft or FA QBs, or both. And we'll be able to get any QB but Darnold and Rosen in the draft we want, in a year where there appear to be four or five guys with a shot. We might even have some chance at either Darnold or Rosen, though at a guess that chance would maybe be somewhere around 30%.

But this is a year when Cousins is available. Nearly any OC would lick his lips at that chance. And the OC will be able to chime in on that decision.

They had some good points in that breakdown. This offensive turnaround is almost certainly going to take time, which makes it unlikely Shady and Incognito will be around by the time things start to look up (assuming Incognito's not gone in the next couple of weeks anyway).

But a healthy Kelvin Benjamin is going to look a lot better than he did this year. He's a really good building block. And again, all those picks. If we bring in Cousins, those could be used to shore up the team a lot at various positions.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, McBean said:

I've said it once and I'll say it again....a good QB fixes the "offensive coordinator" discussion.

It does, sometimes. Partially anyway. You need a good offensive roster but yeah, having the right QB is huge.

However, we're not going to have any QBs but Tyrod and Peterman on the roster when we bring in the next OC, even assuming they don't stick with Dennison.

12 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

True but it can also go the other way as well.

A great offensive minded coach can also fix a QB.

Just look at Pat Shurmer with Keenum and Sean Mcvay with Goff

There's no particular reason to think that McVay fixed Goff. Goff went from rookie to 2nd year guy. He probably would have taken a huge step forward under any OC. McVay I'm sure helped Goff, but very likely one of the main reasons McVay picked that team is because he thought Goff had done pretty well for a rookie and had a ton of potential. 

Goff simply looked calmer in the pocket this year from minute number one. That's not McVay, it's just being a guy who has had the game slow down for him. Not saying McVay did nothing. But many here want to say that McVay is the only reason Goff got better and that simply makes no sense.

11 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

The trivialization of the WR position by the Bills and TBD is mind boggling to me. We have next to no talent there. 

Look at teams that have good QBs and who thier WRs are. Dalton has Sanuand AJ Green. Bill bellyache traded a #1 pick for a WR and he had Tom freakin' Brady ad his QB. It's the second most important position after QB.

If we get some fancy passing QB, we need to majorly upgrade the unit.

I thought when we had Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, and Goodwin we had figured it out. Now we are back to Coach Gailey era WRs.  

Hopefully with all these picks and cap room we can get some good WRs back in town.

We also need a real one two punch back up RB.

This team is sorely LAcking on offensive talent imho

We're going to have Kelvin Benjamin healthy next year. 

And you're overlooking the obvious about Brady. He's had mediocre to poor WR groups most of his career. He made them great. Granted, he's Tom Brady and not all QBs will do that for poorish WR groups. But you're the one who brought up Brady.

And again, Benjamin will be healthy next year. He's a legit #1. And plenty of WRs make big leaps between their first and second years. Zay Jones might be the next one to do so. Or not, but it's certainly possible. Not to mention that Jordan Matthews has had fine production with people other than Tyrod throwing to him.

Yeah, the WRs weren't good this year. There's a pretty decent chance we might be quite a bit better off there next year even without making a single move.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Exactly and McDermott dumped the OL coach and assistant OL coach who did a good job.  He obviously thought scheme was limited and did not like it.

Kromer wanted to be the OC here and was allowed to leave when we had no interest in promoting him to that position.