Why the Peterman hate

BBills88

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Philly - it's all in the tone and how one answers people.   (i'm sure I'll get flack for saying this) 

If you show respect, you get respect.  It has been my observation that THE person who dislikes Nate the most is 26.   Its been that way since camp.  

I honestly cannot say that the "disrespect" is unearned.

Maybe, maybe, MAYBE Peterman gets better. Alex Smith came around to have a decent career. But based off of what I've seen this season, here are a few descriptors I thought of as the game ended:

-Peterman is a poor man's Fitz. Less arm talent, less experience, less of a knack for lucky breaks.

-Peterman makes me long for the days of EJ. 

-If Peterman is our savior, I think being a Bills fan might literally be hell.

Draft a replacement in the 1st. Let him cone along under Tyrod until he is ready. The only reason Peterman should be on the field is if our O-line is hurt and we need a warm body to be battered into concussion protocol.

No one's blaming Peterman.   I just think it was apropos that it was Peterman throwing the interception, taking an intentional grounding penalty and making a terrible throw with 24 seconds left (after the 10 second runoff) to a flat footed receiver who couldn't have got out of bounds.

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

whatever....thrown against the chargers d who would have eaten tyrod alive as well....starting in the HISTORICALLY BAD snow storm and then thrown in in the final minute of a playoff game. yep, that's plenty to judge him on. his throwing ability and basic qb skills run circle around tyrod's.

but again ...whatever, tyrod won't be here next year and there's a very good chance with an offseason and training camp that peterman could negate the need for an alex smith. hate on him all you want,but he will be here next year.

Sorry but this is nonsense. He has shown ZERO at the professional level to show he can play in this league. He will be brought to camp and thats fine. I'm not expecting anything from him.

I'm sure hes a nice kid and I'm not blaming him for anything. Some guys just can't cut it. Nothing to be ashamed of or upset about.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Yet that's what tyrod does all game long and game after game and excuse after excuse is made for his short comings, but yeah, lets blast the rookie in that situation. Whatever :rolleyes:

Huh?? I thought Taylor was quite bad yesterday. This is a thread about Peterman, not Taylor (or so I thought).

5 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

whatever....thrown against the chargers d who would have eaten tyrod alive as well....starting in the HISTORICALLY BAD snow storm and then thrown in in the final minute of a playoff game. yep, that's plenty to judge him on. his throwing ability and basic qb skills run circle around tyrod's.

but again ...whatever, tyrod won't be here next year and there's a very good chance with an offseason and training camp that peterman could negate the need for an alex smith. hate on him all you want,but he will be here next year.

An observation : COP-types (Cult of Peterman) typically jump from the Chargers game (superhuman-D, first start, etc) to the Colts game (apocalyptic weather, etc).

But there was actually an interim which seldom gets mentioned :

Chargers : 6-15,  40%,  66 yds  4.7 ypa,  0 td,  5 int,  1 fumble

Patriots   : 6-15,  40%  50 yds,  3.3 ypa,  0 td,  0 int,

Colts        : 5-10,  50%  57 yds,  5.7 ypa   1 td,  0 int,  1 fumble

Jags         :  1-3,   33%  14 yds   4.7 ypa   0 td,  1 int,  1 fumble

19 minutes ago, grb said:

An observation : COP-types (Cult of Peterman) typically jump from the Chargers game (superhuman-D, first start, etc) to the Colts game (apocalyptic weather, etc).

But there was actually an interim which seldom gets mentioned :

Chargers : 6-15,  40%,  66 yds  4.7 ypa,  0 td,  5 int,  1 fumble

Patriots   : 6-15,  40%  50 yds,  3.3 ypa,  0 td,  0 int,

Colts        : 5-10,  50%  57 yds,  5.7 ypa   1 td,  0 int,  1 fumble

Jags         :  1-3,   33%  14 yds   4.7 ypa   0 td,  1 int,  1 fumble

Not fair to overlook the game that had him promoted the NO mop up against many scrubs when the foot was off the pedal........

Again this is more on McDermott & Dennison who said he was ready and gave the Bills the best chance to win.......

54 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Huh?? I thought Taylor was quite bad yesterday. This is a thread about Peterman, not Taylor (or so I thought).

No, no, no. Any criticism whatsoever of Peterman is an excuse for Tyrod's play. I've been down this road with these same posters. You don't even have to mention Tyrod, but you're clearly defending him by pointing out someone else's awful play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

IMO the ball was late coming out of NP resulting in the pick yesterday.  Yes the WR could have helped too.

Don't understand the NP love by so many people.  So desperate for anyone other than TT, the next guy HAS to be great, right?

Our wr's are for the most part soft. They rarely fight or come back for the ball. Yes Nate hardly has a canon but his sample size is still way too small. Tyrod has had 7 years of NFL experience and he's not leading this team anywhere.  I would draft a guy early without giving up the picks. I would also look into FA. Go into camp with FA, drafted guy and NP as #3. If Nate doesn't improve, cut him.

28 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I honestly cannot say that the "disrespect" is unearned.

Maybe, maybe, MAYBE Peterman gets better. Alex Smith came around to have a decent career. But based off of what I've seen this season, here are a few descriptors I thought of as the game ended:

-Peterman is a poor man's Fitz. Less arm talent, less experience, less of a knack for lucky breaks.

-Peterman makes me long for the days of EJ. 

-If Peterman is our savior, I think being a Bills fan might literally be hell.

Draft a replacement in the 1st. Let him cone along under Tyrod until he is ready. The only reason Peterman should be on the field is if our O-line is hurt and we need a warm body to be battered into concussion protocol.

The point is that you really haven't seen much this year, and not enuf to come to any firm conclusions or enuf to "hate" the kid, as you say. His stat sheet so far is not good, not good at all. Josh Allen's stat sheet sucks too, big time as a record of a whole year's activity, meanwhile he will likely be one of the top three QBs taken in this year's draft. Now I'm not saying Peterman is Josh Allen. He most certainly is not. All I'm saying is that the stat sheet does not always tell you all you may need to know about a player. 

He's a late round developmental pick. That means he is not a blue chip prospect but that is no reason to hate or verbally abuse him, as some around here do. Go down the list of NFL rosters. You will find a number of mid to late round guys serving as backups or work in process players. A few are starting. A couple are excelling. So they all clearly have and have earned their place, at least according to the professionals who manage these rosters. I guess they should instead just be reading 26's posts to find out what they really should be thinking and doing.

Some fool changed his handle to "Peterman Threw Five Picks". What's the point of that? He also threw five TDs to beat the national champions his senior year. 

Almost all players not called Bruce Smith have strengths and weaknesses. That's why it's often necessary to put them in a position where they can succeed. I don't think that Peterman has gotten the benefit of that yet, to put it mildly. So we need to see more before we can properly evaluate him is all I'm saying. 

Peterman does not walk around with a cannon tied to his shoulder. Fair enuf. But neither does Case Keenum (an undrafted player BTW). In fact I'll bet Nate has a stronger arm. Keenum is having a great year playing at a high level in Minni. It is possible that Nate can develop into that kind of player and in the right O find similar success. Note I only ventured "possible". 

It's readily apparent that NP has a lot to learn. But it also looks as though at least for now the Bills feel that there is something there to work with in the hope that he develops. Personally I begin to trust in their good judgement as talent evaluators. IMO they have shown themselves to be pretty shrewd so far. 

Some people like to rush to categorical conclusions. I'd rather keep my powder dry and play the long game.

16 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Taylor is a punting machine. What's really the difference in the end? 

:lol:

The difference is that Peterman is also a punting machine with a lot of interceptions thrown in on drives that don't end in a punt.

:lol::lol::D

I've been saying since preseason that is precisely why he has little to no chance of being an NFL player. He has a rag arm. And if he took the necessary time to wind up and gun the ball so it got there faster, the DB would have been in the same place to make the INT because any time saved would also be time spent.

2 hours ago, Albwan said:

I had zero expectations for the offense to do anything yesterday.

Jax would have lost to the Jets yesterday.

I'm stunned that there is still a loud group of tt fans.

OBD drive please, please... no more ....please move on.

I understand the frustration with Hotrod I really do.  

But it's taken us 17 years to find a QB better than Flutie which we had to dump so our future guy, rob Johnson could get in and win us all those Lombardi's.  I'll gladly flat out dump Hotrod IF and WHEN we find someone better.

I don't want to make the same mistake we did in 2004.  That team went 9-7 had a lot of mojo rolling into the off season winning 6 out of the last 8 I think it was.  Then we decided to dump our QB and go with a 1st round draft pick we just had to get in there.  We didn't sniff the playoffs again for 10 years.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I understand the frustration with Hotrod I really do.  

But it's taken us 17 years to find a QB better than Flutie which we had to dump so our future guy, rob Johnson could get in and win us all those Lombardi's.  I'll gladly flat out dump Hotrod IF and WHEN we find someone better.

I don't want to make the same mistake we did in 2004.  That team went 9-7 had a lot of mojo rolling into the off season winning 6 out of the last 8 I think it was.  Then we decided to dump our QB and go with a 1st round draft pick we just had to get in there.  We didn't sniff the playoffs again for 10 years.

Bledsoe > Taylor

Fitz > Taylor

Orton > Taylor

7 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Bledsoe > Taylor

Fitz > Taylor

Orton > Taylor

I might go with you on Bledsoe, but the last two go a bit far for me. However, I will note that you didn't address his main point: why are you in a rush to dump Tyrod when you don't have a known better option on the roster?

Look for one, certainly. But if we are putting Peterman out there in 2018, you can kiss your chance of returning to the playoffs goodbye (right before it files for a restraining order)

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

The point is that you really haven't seen much this year, and not enuf to come to any firm conclusions or enuf to "hate" the kid, as you say. His stat sheet so far is not good, not good at all. Josh Allen's stat sheet sucks too, big time as a record of a whole year's activity, meanwhile he will likely be one of the top three QBs taken in this year's draft. Now I'm not saying Peterman is Josh Allen. He most certainly is not. All I'm saying is that the stat sheet does not always tell you all you may need to know about a player. 

He's a late round developmental pick. That means he is not a blue chip prospect but that is no reason to hate or verbally abuse him, as some around here do. Go down the list of NFL rosters. You will find a number of mid to late round guys serving as backups or work in process players. A few are starting. A couple are excelling. So they all clearly have and have earned their place, at least according to the professionals who manage these rosters. I guess they should instead just be reading 26's posts to find out what they really should be thinking and doing.

Some fool changed his handle to "Peterman Threw Five Picks". What's the point of that? He also threw five TDs to beat the national champions his senior year. 

Almost all players not called Bruce Smith have strengths and weaknesses. That's why it's often necessary to put them in a position where they can succeed. I don't think that Peterman has gotten the benefit of that yet, to put it mildly. So we need to see more before we can properly evaluate him is all I'm saying. 

Peterman does not walk around with a cannon tied to his shoulder. Fair enuf. But neither does Case Keenum (an undrafted player BTW). In fact I'll bet Nate has a stronger arm. Keenum is having a great year playing at a high level in Minni. It is possible that Nate can develop into that kind of player and in the right O find similar success. Note I only ventured "possible". 

It's readily apparent that NP has a lot to learn. But it also looks as though at least for now the Bills feel that there is something there to work with in the hope that he develops. Personally I begin to trust in their good judgement as talent evaluators. IMO they have shown themselves to be pretty shrewd so far. 

Some people like to rush to categorical conclusions. I'd rather keep my powder dry and play the long game.

By that logic, we should reach out to Jeff Tuel. He has shown just as much, if not more, in his time here as Peterman. Fewer picks for one thing, and they are tied for crucial killer ones.

I'm not saying we kick him off the team. Maybe after another off-season, he "gets it" and shows improvement. But that sure as schiesse isn't stopping me from drafting someone who I would expect to start over him, never mind the lunacy of benching Tyrod for him.