Tyrod Taylor: Playoff QB

/dev/null

19 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

This is practically the definition of "splitting hairs", ladies & gentlemen. 

This is true. Taylor was, in fact, the starting QB of the first Bills team to make the playoffs in nearly two decades. I give Taylor full credit for that. 

It's also undeniable that Andy Dalton -- a legitimate starting QB -- actually threw the 49 yard TD pass that put the Bills in the playoffs. 

So, it's not quite the same as a real starting QB "leading his team" to the playoffs... but I'll gladly take what I can get after all this time. Taylor did what he needed to do yesterday and everything worked out for us all. It's a nice change of pace, right? 

This is pure garbage. If the dalton play happens a month ago nobody is using this BS excuse. The bills and Taylor won the games that mattered to get in Flacco and the ravens didn’t and havnt very often since their SB run. 

What a a crock of BS dude. You have no shame. It’s embarassing. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

15 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Not really because his .535 winning percentage equates to about 8.5 wins a year. One year is 8-8 and the next 9-7 (on average). That’s the difference between the playoffs and being home (again). In a league where 11 teams finished between 7 & 9 wins, a half game matters.

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This is pure garbage. If the dalton play happens a month ago nobody is using this BS excuse. The bills and Taylor won the games that mattered to get in Flacco and the ravens didn’t and havnt very often since their SB run. 

What a a crock of BS dude. You have no shame. It’s embarassing. 

I agree with the Dalton point, but you have to agree the Bills had a lot of luck go their way in close games especially early in the season. Just off the top of my head Von Miller not helping Tyrod up and Tre White's "fumble" TD come to mind. Also, it's a weak year in the AFC, can't count on that every year. If Houston doesn't have all those injuries they're probably in instead of us. Do you want to bank on that every year?

3 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I agree with the Dalton point, but you have to agree the Bills had a lot of luck go their way in close games especially early in the season. Just off the top of my head Von Miller not helping Tyrod up and Tre White's "fumble" TD come to mind. Also, it's a weak year in the AFC, can't count on that every year. If Houston doesn't have all those injuries they're probably in instead of us. Do you want to bank on that every year?

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Looks like the haterade brigade came out again to play. Protect tyrod at all costs; disparage McDermott's philosophy.

It’s not either/or. It’s both!! Just enjoy it

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

If Ifs were Fifths we’d all be drunk 

We aren’t? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chemical said:

It’s about time they got some good luck though. How many years have the Bills have had bad luck and missed out on the playoffs because of that..

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Looks like the haterade brigade came out again to play. Protect tyrod at all costs; disparage McDermott's philosophy.

I’ve stated that I think the whole Taylor going into a shell notion may have something to do with the game plan once they are up 3 scores like in both the fins games recently. But by no means am I disparaging the philosophy. I think it’s a solid way to win games when up big. But people need to stop putting it solely on the players when they see it happen. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

As I've said all year... The Bills go into a shell on offense when they get a lead. 

Its by design. Most fans here who blamed that on Tyrod were either wasted during the game or not even watching the game and just checking the box score.

Its McDermotts style. Ultra conservative Jauron ball. Get a lead, maintain it and play defense. 

That style of play is a big reason for why the offensive rankings are so poor.

....OR are the offensive rankings so poor because we rank near the bottom of the league in 3-and-outs due to Tyrod not being a consistent enough passer to maintain an efficient offense...ergo, the coaches call more consevative plays because they don’t trust Tyrod 

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not really because his .535 winning percentage equates to about 8.5 wins a year. One year is 8-8 and the next 9-7 (on average). That’s the difference between the playoffs and being home (again). In a league where 11 teams finished between 7 & 9 wins, a half game matters.

Super. You have fun with Tyrod and the 7 to 9 wins you'll get every year. But at least he won't throw many INTs.

I'm looking for a QB that can win 11,12 or 13. Safe to say, that isn't happening ever for Taylor. 

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This guy claimed a couple days ago joe Webb was a more viable option than Taylor at this point. 

Just so everyone knows what you’re dealing with if you get into any sort of spat with him. 

JOE MF’ing WEBB. 

I sure did. Also, to clarify before my man here moves the goalposts again, it wasn't that JW was a "more viable" option than Taylor. It was simply, he was a "viable" option at the position. Obviously, Taylor is a better QB than Joe Webb. But that wasn't the question. 

And, oddly enough, you never responded to my explanation. This game isn't much fun if you're not going to play along. 

I'll go ahead and re-post it here for your convenience. Feel free to respond at your leisure. 

Is it really though? 

Remember, we're talking about "viable", not "ideal" or even "good". 

Tyrod Taylor is responsible for creating a crisis at the most important position on the field. There is no argument against that. There is no BS obscure stat that can excuse it. He was terrible against the Saints. The offense was terrible as a result. It also wasn't the first time this year that he has run the offense right into the ground. 

So yes, even ol' Joe Webb became a "viable" option at the position... because he has taken NFL snaps before and the production couldn't really get much worse than 56 passing yards and a FG. That is what Taylor had done to the Bills passing game and offense as a whole at that point in the season. 

Joe Webb also happens to have playoff experience as a starting QB in the NFL, as I'm sure you probably know. Taylor does not have that, by the way. I had to look it up, but interestingly enough, his stat line from that playoff start should look awfully familiar.... 11/30 180 yards 1TD and 1INT. Around here, there are guys who are ready to put a bust of you in Canton for putting up 180 and a TD. 

Let's also give JW credit for taking the wheel in a historic blizzard and leading the Bills to a win that will go down as one of the most memorable ever at the Ralph.

At the end of the day though, he's not a good QB. He probably shouldn't ever take another snap.

So yes, I will absolutely claim that after Tyrod's multiple abysmal performances this year, culminating with the 56'er he put up against NO... all options at QB became "viable", even Joe Webb. That's what happens when things get desperate. 

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We actually don't rank near the bottom of the league in 3 and outs.

They are in the top 5 and are close to the best in the league in not going 3 and out. 

?

According to football outsiders we rank 24th

14 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Super. You have fun with Tyrod and the 7 to 9 wins you'll get every year. But at least he won't throw many INTs.

I'm looking for a QB that can win 11,12 or 13. Safe to say, that isn't happening ever for Taylor. 

Did you really change your avatar to a list of QBs sorted by passing yards?!? giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

I sure did. Also, to clarify before my man here moves the goalposts again, it wasn't that JW was a "more viable" option than Taylor. It was simply, he was a "viable" option at the position. Obviously, Taylor is a better QB than Joe Webb. But that wasn't the question. 

And, oddly enough, you never responded to my explanation. This game isn't much fun if you're not going to play along. 

I'll go ahead and re-post it here for your convenience. Feel free to respond at your leisure. 

Is it really though? 

Remember, we're talking about "viable", not "ideal" or even "good". 

Tyrod Taylor is responsible for creating a crisis at the most important position on the field. There is no argument against that. There is no BS obscure stat that can excuse it. He was terrible against the Saints. The offense was terrible as a result. It also wasn't the first time this year that he has run the offense right into the ground. 

So yes, even ol' Joe Webb became a "viable" option at the position... because he has taken NFL snaps before and the production couldn't really get much worse than 56 passing yards and a FG. That is what Taylor had done to the Bills passing game and offense as a whole at that point in the season. 

Joe Webb also happens to have playoff experience as a starting QB in the NFL, as I'm sure you probably know. Taylor does not have that, by the way. I had to look it up, but interestingly enough, his stat line from that playoff start should look awfully familiar.... 11/30 180 yards 1TD and 1INT. Around here, there are guys who are ready to put a bust of you in Canton for putting up 180 and a TD. 

Let's also give JW credit for taking the wheel in a historic blizzard and leading the Bills to a win that will go down as one of the most memorable ever at the Ralph.

At the end of the day though, he's not a good QB. He probably shouldn't ever take another snap.

So yes, I will absolutely claim that after Tyrod's multiple abysmal performances this year, culminating with the 56'er he put up against NO... all options at QB became "viable", even Joe Webb. That's what happens when things get desperate. 

You claimed “even joe Webb is a viable alternative to Taylor.” In the initial post I responded to. 

Claiming he’s a viable alternative to what we have is in fact claiming he’s at least on par with Taylor. I’m annoyed I even need to explain that to you. Geez. 

And im not gonna humor the post with a response becuz it’s a god awful notion. ESPECIALLY when you clearly just stated he’s not as good as Taylor. So no... he’s not a viable alternative. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

According to football outsiders we rank 24th

Maybe the source of confusion is the Third Down Conversion Rate, where the Bills ended the season sixth-best.

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol: Comic relief. You still know nothing.  One QB (Peterman) :censored: in his pants when facing pressure while the other (Tyrod) offten escapes pressure to make positive plays.  Your analysis is juvenile and silly. 

RLBillZ on his third identify.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

As I've said all year... The Bills go into a shell on offense when they get a lead. 

Its by design. Most fans here who blamed that on Tyrod were either wasted during the game or not even watching the game and just checking the box score.

Its McDermotts style. Ultra conservative Jauron ball. Get a lead, maintain it and play defense. 

That style of play is a big reason for why the offensive rankings are so poor.

It's not a bad strategy when you know you can't win a shootout.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Some are starting to come around to Tyrod because the Bills are in the playoffs. 

Those same fans were going to basically throw Tyrod under the bus if they missed the playoffs. 

The mentality is basically blame Tyrod in losses and give him some credit when they win. It's asinine. 

If people think the Bills are in the playoffs because of Tyrod hen they need to have a sit down.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:
6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol: Comic relief. You still know nothing.  One QB (Peterman) :censored: in his pants when facing pressure while the other (Tyrod) offten escapes pressure to make positive plays.  Your analysis is juvenile and silly. 

RLBillZ on his third identify.

I really want to know what Nate did to piss 26 off?

the hate he has for the rookie is astounding.   

26 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

If people think the Bills are in the playoffs because of Tyrod hen they need to have a sit down.

The team is in the playoffs.  

There is no I in team. 

17 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

You claimed “even joe Webb is a viable alternative to Taylor.” In the initial post I responded to. 

Claiming he’s a viable alternative to what we have is in fact claiming he’s at least on par with Taylor. I’m annoyed I even need to explain that to you. Geez. 

And im not gonna humor the post with a response becuz it’s a god awful notion. ESPECIALLY when you clearly just stated he’s not as good as Taylor. So no... he’s not a viable alternative. 

"Viable" does not mean "at least on par". 

"Viable" does not mean "equal to".

"Viable" is an entirely different concept. 

I can see this is causing you some confusion, so I'll illustrate the difference with this totally hypothetical and not-at-all true example: 

My girlfriend accidentally came across my internet search history, so a tent pitched in the backyard became a "viable" living arrangement for me. 

Living in a tent in the back yard is obviously no where near as good as living in the house, but it's better than sleeping out in the rain. 

Now do you see the difference?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

"Viable" does not mean "at least on par". 

"Viable" does not mean "equal to".

"Viable" is an entirely different concept. 

I can see this is causing you some confusion, so I'll illustrate the difference with this totally hypothetical and not-at-all true example: 

My girlfriend accidentally came across my internet search history, so a tent pitched in the backyard became a "viable" living arrangement for me. 

Living in a tent in the back yard is obviously no where near as good as living in the house, but it's better than sleeping out in the rain. 

Now do you see the difference?

You know what. I was wrong. Silly me. With that being said....

i guess i should have just simplified it and taken all translation out of it. Joe Webb being even a viable option is a silly notion. And using a couple of Taylor’s worst outings to try and illustrate a broad picture of how he plays isn’t a great way to try and prove your point. 

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

46 sacks this year (3rd in league) and 124 over the past 3 years might say other wise.

3 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

This is true. Taylor was, in fact, the starting QB of the first Bills team to make the playoffs in nearly two decades. I give Taylor full credit for that. 

It's also undeniable that Andy Dalton -- a legitimate starting QB -- actually threw the 49 yard TD pass that put the Bills in the playoffs. 

So, it's not quite the same as a real starting QB "leading his team" to the playoffs... but I'll gladly take what I can get after all this time. Taylor did what he needed to do yesterday and everything worked out for us all. It's a nice change of pace, right? 

Hahaha. You’re hilarious. So Andy Dalton is the reason the Bills made the playoffs?  The same Andy Dalton whose team didn’t make the playoffs? Okay. Got it. 

You can tell by your screen name how bitter you are that your prediction didn’t come through.  So sad. 

Edited by Bills757

37 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

There is no I in team. 

100%.

Definitely not because of the QB who doesn’t anticipate and throws for 187 yards per game.. It was all the team.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's not a bad strategy when you know you can't win a shootout.

What’s the strategy when the 29th ranked pats defense keeps choking you out? 

If we keep him for some reason can we play the other guy the 2 pats games ? 

14 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

You know what. I was wrong. Silly me. With that being said....

i guess i should have just simplified it and taken all translation out of it. Joe Webb being even a viable option is a silly notion. And using a couple of Taylor’s worst outings to try and illustrate a broad picture of how he plays isn’t a great way to try and prove your point. 

My point is based on Taylor's horrible performance specifically at that point in the season. 

The 56 yards and a FG against the Saints created a situation where the offense had become so bad that literally anyone with QB experience on the roster became a -- wait for it -- "viable" option. 

However, Joe Webb was NOT a viable option at any time during the season until that Saints game. After another Tyrod dumpster fire under center, all bets were off. 

By the way, it wasn't such a "silly notion" after the guy came in and pulled off the W in the Colts game, was it?

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd agree they don't have the players on offense designed to fair well in a shootout.... fans will interpret that as "yes,

because Tyrod sucks". But the receivers outside of Benjamin(who lacks speed) are abysmal and the overall scheme is a conservative one.

Last years offense would be much better suited for a shootout.

Thompson is not abysmal.  And neither is Shady.  Tyrod can make plays occasionally but isn't consistent enough to do it regularly and make himself a franchise QB.

23 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

Hahaha. You’re hilarious. So Andy Dalton is the reason the Bills made the playoffs?  The same Andy Dalton whose team didn’t make the playoffs? Okay. Got it. 

You can tell by your screen name how bitter you are that your prediction didn’t come through.  So sad. 

Yes. Andy Dalton threw the TD pass that LITERALLY put the Bills into the playoffs. 

He's not THE REASON they made the playoffs, but he's the guy that PUT them there. 

This shouldn't be so difficult. 

My screen name is not a prediction... but a nod to the Bills record back when I was a young lad, just starting out. 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Thompsons been a good add but the guy was signed off the streets for a reason. 

He's good for Tyrods game as the Bills had 0 speed receivers until they signed him. 

I never said a Tyrods a franchise QB. He's a solid stop gap till you have someone better. Got to draft one to get better.... something the Bills never do.

Doesn't matter where a guy was signed from, the question is can he play?  He can. 

And they've have drafted QB's.  Just not the right one.  As you can tell by the low success rate of QB's, it's not easy.  

1 minute ago, twoandfourteen said:

Yes. Andy Dalton threw the TD pass that LITERALLY put the Bills into the playoffs. 

He's not THE REASON they made the playoffs, but he's the guy that PUT them there. 

This shouldn't be so difficult. 

My screen name is not a prediction... but a nod to the Bills record back when I was a young lad, just starting out. 

Dalton's TD pass to AJ Green in the Bills game was a reason the Bills needed help to get into the playoffs.  Works both ways. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No. I think the logical fans without a Tyrod bashing agenda know that Tyrod was a big part of them getting to the postseason

As some posters have pointed out, turnover differential is key to getting to the playoffs and the fact that Tyrod never turns the ball over while being efficient in most games is one of the reasons they are going to Jacksonville.

He was a big part of the team getting to the postseason. As the starting QB, that is true pretty much by default. 

He was also a big part of it almost not happening. His inability to produce anything even remotely resembling a barely functional passing offense cost them several games, and that includes the Chargers game. 

53 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

There is no I in team. 

I don't think It is Peterman, he just was the person who happened to be the QB who took Tyrod's job. Therefore the wrath of 26 has to come down on him.Wait until next year when when another QB has Tyrod's job and he will be the same as he was with Peterman.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Doesn't matter where a guy was signed from, the question is can he play?  He can. 

And they've have drafted QB's.  Just not the right one.  As you can tell by the low success rate of QB's, it's not easy.  

Dalton's TD pass to AJ Green in the Bills game was a reason the Bills needed help to get into the playoffs.  Works both ways. 

Nope, it doesn't. The Bills had many opportunities after the Bengals game to continue on and play.  It's only moderately relevant because it was one of the 7 other losses they had. The Bills needed help to get in because of many other games/plays throughout the season.

The Dalton/Boyd TD was it. There were no second chances. The direct result of that play was a ticket to the playoffs for the Bills. 

5 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Nope, it doesn't. The Bills had many opportunities after the Bengals game to continue on and play.  It's only moderately relevant because it was one of the 7 other losses they had. The Bills needed help to get in because of many other games/plays throughout the season.

The Dalton/Boyd TD was it. There were no second chances. The direct result of that play was a ticket to the playoffs for the Bills. 

The Ravens should have scored more points before that final drive, then.  They had everything to play for and the Bengals had nothing. 

1 minute ago, twoandfourteen said:

The Bills should have drafted Tom Brady in the 5th round back in 2000. 

What's your point?

My point is that...the Bills are in the playoffs.  Don't really care about the rest.

7 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

The Bills should have drafted Tom Brady in the 5th round back in 2000. 

What's your point? 

The point is it’s dumb to say they got lucky and got in based on one play. Bottom line is the bills did what they needed to do to get in over the course of the season and the ravens didn’t. 

If people play this dumb game they could point back to any game the ravens lost and say “well we should thank Big Ben for that drive he had 4 weeks ago to beat the ravens. That’s the reason we are in the playoffs.” How foolish does that look?

posters are using it as a way to downplay what transpired yesterday and it just so happens the people doing so also seem to have an axe to grind with a certain player on the team and will stop at nothing while nit picking anything they can from the situation to be “right” about him. It’s sad really. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2