What QB do you want to draft.

QB draft  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your QB

I’m all for trading down from 18 and picking up a late 2nd and grabbing Riley Ferguson, Ryan Finley or Mason Rudolph if he is still there.

Outside Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Maybe Mayfield, I’m all for getting more picks. Picking up a late 1st rd QB, extra picks and signing a vet QB to compete.

As I’ve said before, I think the team like Peterman, I too think once the game slows down for Peterman he may be solid.

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I have heard this about Rosen a couple times from people on this board. So I will ask again where is this stuff about Rosen’s team mates. 

I wont hold my breath because everytime i ask this it is NEVER produced 

Nobody is saying it’s 100% fact. I too have seen it on this board, folks who claim they know people on campus who have “heard”, I seen the frustration on Elite 11. I did say the Scouts, Coaches GMs will do some digging. They will get the info. 

Im simply said I watched Elite 11 which basically supported some of the “stories” you hear.

Rosen Demeanor cost him... 

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ucla-bruins-stanford-cardinal-josh-rosen-dream-school-101515

https://www.google.com/amp/thebiglead.com/2017/05/04/nfl-scout-and-executive-on-josh-rosen-tons-of-issues-and-a-mess-off-the-field/amp/

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ben Allbright, an nfl blogger out of Denver who has appeared very dialed in, said on Cleveland radio that there are some nfl execs who are turned off by Rosen’s arrogance and personality. Don’t shoot the messenger. That’s just what he said. 

That’s interesting.  I would almost think arrogance would be valued in a QB.

After thinking more about the game last night, I would love to see the Bills get Darnold.  Bad game overall - but some of those throws were amazing. He definitely has a skill set that most do not have.

12 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Nobody is saying it’s 100% fact. I too have seen it on this board, folks who claim they know people on campus who have “heard”, I seen the frustration on Elite 11. I did say the Scouts, Coaches GMs will do some digging. They will get the info. 

Im simply said I watched Elite 11 which basically supported some of the “stories” you hear.

Rosen Demeanor cost him... 

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ucla-bruins-stanford-cardinal-josh-rosen-dream-school-101515

https://www.google.com/amp/thebiglead.com/2017/05/04/nfl-scout-and-executive-on-josh-rosen-tons-of-issues-and-a-mess-off-the-field/amp/

Again dont care one bit about his Senior in HS time. But still no reports of team mate strife. 

And yes i NEVER put stock into an anonymous Scout and Exec putting things out there to try and hurt a prospect to make him fall likely to them in draft

Usually the NFL humbles players and helps them refocus, unless you just “love me some me”! Maybe that’s Rosen maybe he doesn’t have an issue. But there’s a lot of smoke out there.

As I’ve said and been saying. Fans need to quit thinking Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Even Mayfield if he balls the next 2 weeks.

Bills fans should start asking who they want out of Jackson, Rudolph, Ferguson, Finley.... Those are your QBs who will be drafted picks 15-45.

Dont see this FO trading picks unless it’s to get more picks.

5 minutes ago, Success said:

That’s interesting.  I would almost think arrogance would be valued in a QB.

After thinking more about the game last night, I would love to see the Bills get Darnold.  Bad game overall - but some of those throws were amazing. He definitely has a skill set that most do not have.

Arrogance as in, he knows more than coaches and he knows what’s best....

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Baker Mayfield by a mile.  If Rosen goes 1 and Darnold 2, I am offering our 2 firsts this year, 1 of our seconds, plus our first and third next year to get to 3 and take him.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Baker Mayfield by a mile.  If Rosen goes 1 and Darnold 2, I am offering our 2 firsts this year, 1 of our seconds, plus our first and third next year to get to 3 and take him.

We could probably get to #3 with both our 1sts this year and 1st next year....

But fans would go crazy giving up 3 firsts for the 3rd best QB possibly.

7 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

There is ONLY two QBs worth trading up for. 

Mayfield isnt one of them

And for someone that rubs team mates and coaches the wrong way. Hmmm seems they like Rosen

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/UCLA-teammates-and-coaches-rally-around-QB-Josh-Rosen-106605527/Amp

Edited by MAJBobby

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
14 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

You will use all those picks to draft players who will come and go in free agency and the Bills will keep spinning their wheels if they don't find a QB.  

IMO, if Baker Mayfield were 3 inches taller, he would be the best QB prospect since Luck.  To me he is the best QB in the draft and has superstar written all over him.

You will use all those picks to draft players who will come and go in free agency and the Bills will keep spinning their wheels if they don't find a QB.  

IMO, if Baker Mayfield were 3 inches taller, he would be the best QB prospect since Luck.  To me he is the best QB in the draft and has superstar written all over him.

Blah the good ole 3 in taller comment. He has a hood amount of weaknesses

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Blah the good ole 3 in taller comment. He has a hood amount of weaknesses

Elaborate

Elaborate

Sure 

plays behind the best OL in the nation

inconsistent footwork

inconsistent mechanics

doesnt read the entire field

trouble reading the field

doesnt work well in the pocket all the time

maturity

questionable arm

hasnt played top competition 

Just now, Dalton said:

Not a good game for the resume today.  Better off staying in school but a team will take a chance.

He should stay in school get another year of passing development under his belt. Come out next year and be a top 3 pick

26 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I believe your trade scenario is correct to move to Overall #3 or #4.

Is a guy like Mayfield worth that?  I'm asking you and others because I'm not a big College Football fan.

I'm just giving a "what if" scenario.  What if, 2 years into this we are 6-10.

I have no problem trading that draft capital on "an almost sure thing" but......................

My question would be, would it be the end of the world if we had to reload draft picks and wait another year instead of reaching?

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I believe your trade scenario is correct to move to Overall #3 or #4.

Is a guy like Mayfield worth that?  I'm asking you and others because I'm not a big College Football fan.

I'm just giving a "what if" scenario.  What if, 2 years into this we are 6-10.

I have no problem trading that draft capital on "an almost sure thing" but......................

My question would be, would it be the end of the world if we had to reload draft picks and wait another year instead of reaching?

If everyone declares, this draft could easily compare to 2004 (Manning/Rivers/BigBen), or even 1983 (Elway/Kelly/Marino/etc). This franchise has never, not once, taken drafting a QB seriously. We had a shot to trade up and snag Big Ben, but Texans got cold feet and we werent willing to up the offer enough so they couldnt refuse. That could've re-written the past decade+. Even in 1983, they didnt use their first 1st round pick on Kelly.

That needs to change. Especially if they ever want to truly change the soft, losing culture that permeates every building and office at One Bills Drive.

If they identify 3 or 4 worthy prospects, and we really dont have a shot at the first 2, this FO should be ready to do what it takes to ensure they walk away with one of the other remaining guys. We have 2 1sts and 2 2nds to work with this year. We could package both 1sts and a 2nd, and maybe a 4th next year or something. That should get us up pretty far, and we even keep a 2nd this year.

If he busts in a few years, well shucks. Anything can happen. But at least they tried. At least they show they value the most important position in the game. We cant just keep kicking the can down the road and hoping we back into being a Wild Card team.

edit: did some quick googling just because I was curious. Using PFT's draft pick point chart, and assuming we end up #20, and KC #25... Those 2 picks alone give us 1570pts, which if you go by the chart gets us up to #7. Throw in our 2nd round pick (380pts) and our 1950pts gets us up to #4 overall (1800pts). I know this isnt a science, and these numbers are loose and arbitrary, but it gives us some assurance that we do have the resources available to move up, and without having to sell the entire farm.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If everyone declares, this draft could easily compare to 2004 (Manning/Rivers/BigBen), or even 1983 (Elway/Kelly/Marino/etc). This franchise has never, not once, taken drafting a QB seriously. We had a shot to trade up and snag Big Ben, but Texans got cold feet and we werent willing to up the offer enough so they couldnt refuse. That could've re-written the past decade+. Even in 1983, they didnt use their first 1st round pick on Kelly.

That needs to change. Especially if they ever want to truly change the soft, losing culture that permeates every building and office at One Bills Drive.

If they identify 3 or 4 worthy prospects, and we really dont have a shot at the first 2, this FO should be ready to do what it takes to ensure they walk away with one of the other remaining guys. We have 2 1sts and 2 2nds to work with this year. We could package both 1sts and a 2nd, and maybe a 4th next year or something. That should get us up pretty far, and we even keep a 2nd this year.

If he busts in a few years, well shucks. Anything can happen. But at least they tried. At least they show they value the most important position in the game. We cant just keep kicking the can down the road and hoping we back into being a Wild Card team.

Thanks for you reply Dr.

Don't get me wrong, I have been a fan of this team for many decades and know full well our QB situation.

I guess for me it's the "at least they tried" thing that has me wonder if this is the year it has to happen.

If a Mayfield ends up being a Big Ben or Marino I will love it.

Steelers and Dolphins didn't trade 3 1st's and 2 2nds to get them.

Anyone, has there ever been a 3 1st's and 2 2nd trade for a QB?

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks for you reply Dr.

Don't get me wrong, I have been a fan of this team for many decades and know full well our QB situation.

I guess for me it's the "at least they tried" thing that has me wonder if this is the year it has to happen.

Philly traded 2 1sts, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, spread out over 3 drafts, to move up to #2.

Washington traded 3 1sts (spread out over 3 years) and a 2nd to move up to #2.

I would imagine 3 1sts and 2 2nds should be able to get you to #2, if the team there is willing. We shouldnt have to give up that much though. Cleveland is the only other team that owns 2 1sts this year, and they have the clear shot at a QB, so we arent in competition with them to move up. I'm looking at Indy, or Tampa, or even Cleveland's 2nd 1st (currently #4 I believe). Maybe even NYG if Gettleman wants to roll with Eli for a couple more years and build up the team around him.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks for you reply Dr.

Jim Kelly was a 1st round pick, #14 in 83. He was the third QB drafted.

I think there are potentially 4-5 very good QBs in this draft.  I think we ought to be able to get one without giving up much if any draft capital. I'd rather do that than give up alot and end up with a bust.  If it doesn't work out we can try again in 2019  but at least we should get some good players this draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, danc said:

Jim Kelly was a 1st round pick, #14 in 83. He was the third QB drafted.

I think there are potentially 4-5 very good QBs in this draft.  I think we ought to be able to get one without giving up much if any draft capital. I'd rather do that than give up alot and end up with a bust.  If it doesn't work out we can try again in 2019  but at least we should get some good players this draft.

Why cant these other players that you want to keep the capital for bust?

After much careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that only ONE of the above merits first-round attention, and that's Darnold... He has the arm, the intelligence, the decision-making, and the durability to compete at the next level...   

Ideally though,  the right answer would be ZERO... -That's right... No QB's in the first round this year... Too much other good stuff out there.. If we grabbed Chis Wilkins in the first, then came back and snagged Da'Ron Payne late in the second, we'd be building something really special on that D-line... This draft's top-end defensive talent is too good to ignore... With Williams getting up-there, and Frazier looking more and more like a way forward from the Ryans, -I'd give our Defensive staff the '18 draft to set things right.

So to re-cap, -No QB's in the first EXCEPT Darnold... If he's gone, then our focus should immediately switch to Chris Wilkins, with Da'Ron Payne drafted shortly thereafter... If this draft was 90% a defensive one, I wouldn't mind one bit.

Edited by #34fan

9 minutes ago, #34fan said:

After much careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that only ONE of the above merits first-round attention, and that's Darnold... He has the arm, the intelligence, the decision-making, and the durability to compete at the next level...   

Ideally though,  the right answer would be ZERO... -That's right... No QB's in the first round this year... Too much other good stuff out there.. If we grabbed Chis Wilkins in the first, then came back and snagged Da'Ron Payne late in the second, we'd be building something really special on that D-line... This draft's top-end defensive talent is too good to ignore... With Williams getting up-there, and Frazier looking more and more like a way forward from the Ryans, -I'd give our Defensive staff the '18 draft to set things right.

So to re-cap, -No QB's in the first EXCEPT Darnold... If he's gone, then our focus should immediately switch to Chris Wilkins, with Da'Ron Payne drafted shortly thereafter... If this draft was 90% a defensive one, I wouldn't mind one bit.

Coach McDermott, shouldn't you be preparing for the Miami game?

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

For those that havent watched Lamar improve greatly from the pocket this year watch the TaxSlayer bowl

And yet i bet you have watched him how many times this year?

3 times to be exact.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the obvious.  

Are you telling me he ISN'T a 1-read and go QB?  Is that what you're saying?

2 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

For a 5'11" QB with small hands and maturity issues...how bout no!

5 hours ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

You guys need to stop with this foolishness, he is most definitely an nfl qb.  He will go top 10 and some team will be very happy to have him.

He may go top 10.  Hell Blaine Gabbert went 11 and Jake Locker went 8.  Doesn't mean a thing.   

You don't start taking the studying aspect of the game serious for a year and then think you're ready for the NFL level.  His athleticism can only mask so much for so long.  In the end, can he stand in the pocket, read the defense, go through his progressions and deliver a well timed pass on a consistent basis.

No.  He can't.

I'm through mincing words with guys I'm damn sure are going to struggle mightily at the next level.  It's too easy to see.

Edited by Chicken Boo

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He may go top 10.  Hell Blaine Gabbert went 11 and Jake Locker went 8.  Doesn't mean a thing.   

You don't start taking the studying aspect of the game serious for a year and then think you're ready for the NFL level.  His athleticism can only mask so much for so long.  In the end, can he stand in the pocket, read the defense, go through his progressions and deliver a well timed pass on a consistent basis.

No.  He can't.

I'm through mincing words with guys I'm damn sure are going to struggle mightily at the next level.  It's too easy to see.

No he is not a one read and run QB. He does do that at times however this year has improved greatly climbing pockets going thru progressions. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No he is not a one read and run QB. He does do that at times however this year has improved greatly climbing pockets going thru progressions. 

He may have made strides but it's not enough of a leap, IMO.  This is the NFL we're talking about.  

30 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

No.  He can't.

Sorry if I missed it upthread... Who is your guy?/What's your plan at qb?

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He may have made strides but it's not enough of a leap, IMO.  This is the NFL we're talking about.  

Yeah and i dont think anyone is calling for him to he a top 5 pick either. 

He should stay in school and grow another year. However IMO he still has alot of room before his ceiling

On 12/27/2017 at 5:41 AM, 8-8 Forever? said:

Kirk Cousins.   They basically screwed the pooch by winning too many games this year.   Now they need to open the purse to get their guy.   Is what it is.  And I think they will.  

I think they should sign Cousins AND draft a QB if there's one they think could be "the guy".  

All In!

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry if I missed it upthread... Who is your guy?/What's your plan at qb?

Cousins in FA is my first choice, in part, to make the most out of our draft picks.  I have watched him since his rookie season.  I've seen what I needed to see.  With Kirk and our current roster, we are firmly in the playoffs.

Rosen, Rudolph or Allen in the draft.  Rosen is a pipe dream but the 2 other guys can be had.  If they need to sit for a year while a Bradford or Alex Smith, etc. start for the Bills, then so be it.

Edited by Chicken Boo

I haven’t seen Ohio State much.  And I don’t know his measurables. But every time l’ve seen Barrett play he comes up big in big games against big time competition. He just wins. I’d take him in the third.  He strikes me as this year’s Dushaun Watson. Maybe even the second.

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

You can have Luck. I'll take Russell Wilson all day...

5 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Again with Luck LOL.

100 million for nothing 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Again with Luck LOL.

100 million for nothing 

I was using him as an example for a pre-draft prospect, not saying I would take him over Russell Wilson and other QB's.

'

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure 

plays behind the best OL in the nation

inconsistent footwork

inconsistent mechanics

doesnt read the entire field

trouble reading the field

doesnt work well in the pocket all the time

maturity

questionable arm

hasnt played top competition 

I’ve been saying some time now, I’ll wait until after he play Georgia and possibly Clemson or Alabama.

I don’t care what his “weaknesses” are... He went into OSU and performed well, and if he lights it up against 2 of those 3 and brings OU a National Championship I will be impressed. Very impressed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

I haven’t seen Ohio State much.  And I don’t know his measurables. But every time l’ve seen Barrett play he comes up big in big games against big time competition. He just wins. I’d take him in the third.  He strikes me as this year’s Dushaun Watson. Maybe even the second.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 4

On 12/29/2017 at 6:02 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I wouldn’t be shocked either (and they were at the game yesterday). I think that the “big game” thing that you mentioned has been one of the things that gave me pause. That’s why I thought yesterday was his best. He played really well in the 2nd half against a Bud Foster defense. He stepped into a few throws over the middle that were pretty impressive and hit some deep balls.

The pressure gets to him (as you mentioned) and I’d imagine he will see a ton of it in the NFL. The other thing, for me, is that I don’t see a lot of upside. He’s played a lot of football. That’s not a bad thing necessarily but I don’t see him ever being this top 10 QB that we are dreaming of. I feel like his ceiling is Dalton (and that’s not meant as in insult). 

Once they see Mayfield Monday they will forget about Rudolph.

On 12/29/2017 at 4:18 PM, Domdab99 said:

So apparently Mayfiield isn't a real drop-back QB....just an athlete? A smaller Tim Tebow? Johnny Manziel 2.0?

He makes throws in the pocket most of the time. This he's just an athlete stuff is nonsense.

Bottom line is kid is a playmaker.