Should the NFL start firing referees who make bad calls?

Klaista2k

They should be fined just like players that do stupid things on the field. 

The replay official should have been fined 2 weeks ago for the stupid call against the Steelers and he should have been fined double for his second offense for the call against the Bills.

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Easy to be a wannabe referee at home when you have the advantage of slo-mo replay from multiple different angles.  You think it is that easy to get every call right when on the field with players going at full speed and you have to make a split second judgement?

If you fired every referee that made a bad call, you'd run out of officials really fast.

It's called human error and it's a part of every sport, amateur and professional.

Ok you are clearly trolling.

4 hours ago, Yav said:

They should be fined just like players that do stupid things on the field. 

The replay official should have been fined 2 weeks ago for the stupid call against the Steelers and he should have been fined double for his second offense for the call against the Bills.

That's not a bad idea as long as the fines are significant.

Another idea is just getting rid of replay all together and going with the call on the field. 

23 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Another idea is just getting rid of replay all together and going with the call on the field. 

Thinking out loud.. Just going with the call on the field would not prevent the broadcaster from showing the frame by frame replay...which is what lead to replay reviews, then booth reviews, then corporate HQ reviews to begin with.

23 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I agree with your sentiment and intent, but who decides right or wrong? There is the question.

Nobody has a clue what abomination the replay team is going to inflict in any sport 

7 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

replay works, it just needs to be fair and consistent just like the calls on the field. The calls should be different from game to game and from officiating teams to officiating teams. I've seen a lot of holding that goes un-called for the pats, not to mention the pick play they consistently run. 

Calls the games the same no matter what teams are playing. 

If there are horrible calls then fine the refs. 

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

You're demanding officials get fired for making a bad call, and I'm the one that is trolling?  lol

I guess you're fine with a league that constantly gets important calls wrong? 

I'm just trying to find a solution to this problem and I think holding the refs accountable would be a good start. I know in the Pats/Bills game the touchdown got overturned by Al Riveron and I personally think that guy should be fired.

Rather than fire officials, make the rules simpler.  If you have the ball in your hands, it's a catch.  It's absurd that the ground cannot cause a fumble but it can cause a pass to be incomplete.   You grab a guy, it's holding.  And so on.

And get rid of replays.  Every sport has an element of human error associated with it when it comes to officiating, and it's past time to think you can get every call perfect. 

On 12/26/2017 at 3:36 PM, Klaista2k said:

That's not enough. 

What if that Benjamin call happened in the playoffs and ended up costing us the game?

They need to get serious and start firing these guys. I see it as the only solution. 

What if Kelvins catch was to win a Super Bowl. I didn't see anyone reverse the Steeler catch a few years ago? These corrupt and moronic refs are ruining this game. And the NFL will do nothing. 

I wouldn't fire them.

I do think coaches should be able to appeal a booth ruling if they choose to do so.  I hate the absolute nature of the booth review.  

This would necessitate a different referee looking at it.  Essentially the NFL would need a backup booth referee system that is separate from the main one.  

On 12/26/2017 at 6:13 PM, Klaista2k said:

There's no excuse for how bad some of these calls are getting in the NFL.

Is it time for the NFL to start firing refs who make these egregiously bad calls? 

I think it should go to an independent panel for review, and if its determined the the call is wrong the referee should be terminated.

I see this as the only solution to fixing this problem with the corrupt officiating.  

IMO is let's make them all full time referees that way they know the rule book inside and out. I mean it's a billion dollar corporation and your having part time employees deciding outcomes based on some of their calls. That's insane!

as for firing, you don't fire someone for making a mistake you correct it (in private) and move on. I also think the new replay guy is in over his head as he was thrust into the job after the head ref abruptly quit.

Is don't believe firing them for a mistake is fair, but disciplining them or making them accountable for blowing an easy call they should have made would  be something to look into.

The refs made the correct call on the field in both the Pittsburgh and Bills games on those catches. The problem was the replay booth making assumptions and making their own rules to overturn the calls on the field since neither replay showed enough evidence to overturn the calls on the field like their replay rules require

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

IMO is let's make them all full time referees that way they know the rule book inside and out. I mean it's a billion dollar corporation and your having part time employees deciding outcomes based on some of their calls. That's insane!

as for firing, you don't fire someone for making a mistake you correct it (in private) and move on. I also think the new replay guy is in over his head as he was thrust into the job after the head ref abruptly quit.

Making them full time employees does not do anything unless you refine the rule book and then define what all of those people do during off weeks.  The NFL could define there schedule such they have more hours some months and less others but if they are going to be full time referees they need to have a job during off season when they are not instructing in training camps, etc.

1 hour ago, hemma said:

Make a bad call, take away their shoes for the rest of the game.

Won't work for me, I do not wear shoes at work - bad feet.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Limeaid said:

I think before they start firing referees they need to correct the rule book with serious look at what is able to be realistically ruled on - if a rule can be interpreted multiple ways in needs to be clarified in rules and a test setup to test referees knowledge of that rulebook.

Next increase suspensions / fines for intentional attempts to injury (Suh's stomping, Gronks elbow to head, etc).

NFL needs to spend money on additionally technology not depending on broadcast teams whose camera coverage varies and have an additional referee each game which will look at film and be input to zebras but not be able to make calls. 

NY office should have a bank of officials that have one job. Know the rules inside out and backwards. They then can call the game site if a rule is being applied or interpreted wrong. Those game refs can also call the NY office for clarification of a weird rule that comes up occasionally.

I guess making the original call be replay changed should be left to on site game officials. Unless Riveron is fired and they go back to interpreting the rule of "clear and obvious" for an original ruling overturn I would kill any decisions from that office.

Edited by cba fan

Every ref in the NFL knows the rule book backwards and forwards.  This is about judgment calls, and there will always be human error associated with that.  having guys be full time won't change that.  Having rules that make sense would help.  I mentioned above but it is beyond absurd that the ground cannot cause a fumble if you're carrying the ball, but it can cause a pass to be incomplete.

I wish they'd do away with replay altogether.  Accept that in a sport as fast as football some calls will be wrong.  Back in the day before all the technocrap they calls tended to even out anyway.

30 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Every ref in the NFL knows the rule book backwards and forwards.  This is about judgment calls, and there will always be human error associated with that.  having guys be full time won't change that.  Having rules that make sense would help.  I mentioned above but it is beyond absurd that the ground cannot cause a fumble if you're carrying the ball, but it can cause a pass to be incomplete.

I wish they'd do away with replay altogether.  Accept that in a sport as fast as football some calls will be wrong.  Back in the day before all the technocrap they calls tended to even out anyway.

Reply is only going to get more intrusive and frustrating.

I have a plan.  Firing may be a little heavy handed.  However, when a ref makes a blunder call because they don't know the rules like the 4th and 1 play, they get suspended.  To come off of suspension they have to pass a 100 question rules exam.

Best thing to help refereeing would be to re write the record book making all the rules concise.  A player catches a ball once he catches it and takes 2 steps.  Something you can look at and count.  Get rid of vague stuff like football move etc.  However, I think this is just what the NFL wants, a way to queer the game when they need/want to.

Edited by reddogblitz

In the NBA on a scramble out of bounds the refs wisely ignored the foul on contact and just gave the ball to the other team

now we have to go to tips of the finger and pretend there wasn't a foul that they ignored by giving the possession to the fouled team...

So now you can truck the guy and get no foul and the ball after a replay.

YAY!!!

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Rather than fire officials, make the rules simpler.  If you have the ball in your hands, it's a catch.  It's absurd that the ground cannot cause a fumble but it can cause a pass to be incomplete.   You grab a guy, it's holding.  And so on.

And get rid of replays.  Every sport has an element of human error associated with it when it comes to officiating, and it's past time to think you can get every call perfect. 

The Benjamin TD reversal was not a problem with the rules. The J. James catch in the Steelers game -- yes.

But Benjamin had control and both of his feet touched down. They just made the wrong call and it's inexcusable. 

26 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

The Benjamin TD reversal was not a problem with the rules. The J. James catch in the Steelers game -- yes.

But Benjamin had control and both of his feet touched down. They just made the wrong call and it's inexcusable. 

True.   It's just ridiculous at this point.  Especially the James one.  If he was a runner it's a TD but not if he's a receiver.  And the Benjamin one there's no point even having refs make calls on the field if you reverse a guy standing right there making the call.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

...make them all go through TC like players do....rules review sessions, film sessions highlighting questionable calls and/or rules changes/clarifications......are they exempt from learning from mistakes?...........

Stop arguing, the replays goofs do whatever they want and couldn’t care less what the replay shows

no wait.... spend 6 hours quibbling and moaning over the dumb reversals that screwed the Bills, a shock factor of zero point zero that it went the Pats way

On 12/26/2017 at 6:58 PM, Rick B said:

Rather than just firing the ref, I think a system like what's used in many work places. A graduated system starting with reprimands and ending with terminations.

This is a logical alternative.

I also like releasing the lowest rated crew or 2 lowest rated positions per year regardless of their rating.  If you are the lowest of all, turn them over for new talent.

5 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

The first thing to do IMO is stop hiring officials that are 150 years old.

That is as unlikely as TBD disallowing 5 year old to post as you prove by your post.

If you want a fitness test for zebras fine; have them be chased by some lions to endure they can run fast enough.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:41 PM, Limeaid said:

That is as unlikely as TBD disallowing 5 year old to post as you prove by your post.

If you want a fitness test for zebras fine; have them be chased by some lions to endure they can run fast enough.

My point, which must be over your 5 year old mentality, was that you can't hire old people and expect them to keep up with the speed of NFL players, and not make mistakes due to that.  But yes, a fitness test would probably be a good place to begin.

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

My point, which must be over your 5 year old mentality, was that you can't hire old people and expect them to keep up with the speed of NFL players, and not make mistakes due to that.  But yes, a fitness test would probably be a good place to begin.

No my point was above your 5 month mentality.  Exaggeration does not add to argument. if you want a certain speed make it a requirement not age.