What's the best offensive coordinator we could realistically land?

DollaBills

Foolish to even think about it. It isn't happening. Dennison will be here next year. Hopefully we'll have a quarterback that can make anticipation throws and not miss wide-open WRs, and take idiotic sacks.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s the favorite because he was McDermott’s first choice. Dennison isn’t a lock to be back. 

He was supposedly the first choice, but he chose to go to Denver and suck the life from their offense.  I do not believe he is any choice at this time.  

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Denver's QB is worse than ours. There's a reason why Denver seemed like the only team to even feign interest in Tyrod last year. 

Yes, but that was the same QB that Dennison had in Denver last year and under McCoy the offense regressed enough that a 1st year HC fired him half way through the season.

Edited by Rochesterfan

17 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Bruce Arins is getting fired/mutually parting ways...I'd hire him in a heartbeat

he will be a HC or retire.  he's paid his dues as a OC for too long to step back down imo

On 12/24/2017 at 10:00 PM, MAJBobby said:

Lets not put Adam Gase past getting canned in MIA and as an OC yes please 

i highly doubt that would happen but if for some reason it did i doubt he would pick Buffalo.  he would be the most sought after OC in the league

On 12/25/2017 at 7:02 AM, todd said:

Foolish to even think about it. It isn't happening. Dennison will be here next year. Hopefully we'll have a quarterback that can make anticipation throws and not miss wide-open WRs, and take idiotic sacks.

this is probably true.  they will give Dennison 1 more shot with a real QB.  he will use Tyrod as a scapegoat to save his own job.  then once we are bad again with ____________ then he will be out of excuses

14 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

he will be a HC or retire.  he's paid his dues as a OC for too long to step back down imo

i highly doubt that would happen but if for some reason it did i doubt he would pick Buffalo.  he would be the most sought after OC in the league

this is probably true.  they will give Dennison 1 more shot with a real QB.  he will use Tyrod as a scapegoat to save his own job.  then once we are bad again with ____________ then he will be out of excuses

Not if we throw Pegula Bucks at him to take on less responsibility

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Not if we throw Pegula Bucks at him to take on less responsibility

we tried that with McCoy and he used us to drive up his price with Denver.  coaches don't look fondly at a situation like ours with no QB and our best player is a 30+ yr old RB.  we won't get the cream of the crop here.  we go for the 2nd tier coaches and overpay :(

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/24/2017 at 9:16 PM, Rc2catch said:

I think instead of shopping for retread coordinators who just got fired or the coach above was changed out you want to look for younger smarter quarterback coaches on teams. Say philly.. Kansas City maybe, if we’re drafting a quarterback which we know we are just don’t know how high of a round they’ll go, you need someone in here who can gel and groom young quarterbacks 

I strongly agree with this.  Need a younger OC who understands how to do what they did with guys like Goff and Alex Smith this year: install an offense similar to what worked for these qb's in college.  

Look at McVay's approach with the Rams.  He worked wonders in Washington with Cousins.

With McVay calling the plays, Cousins threw for 4,166 and 4,917 yards in 2015 and 2016. Washington ran a steady diet of play-action passes off its zone run game. This gives easy reads for the quarterback and opportunities for big-chunk plays. It builds confidence in a young quarterback and it moves the freaking chains.

Rico has called a few decent games but he uses far too little play action for a team with a great rb and he seems slow to adjust his system to Tyrod, who also has very little audible (play changing)authority at the line, zero hard count skills, and runs a fairly predictable game week in and week out.

On 12/24/2017 at 10:43 PM, Klaista2k said:

What about Greg Roman?

The offense has statistically regressed in every category since he left.

He's an offensive assistant with Baltimore right now. 

He's not the OC you want if you're going to try and develop a young QB. The guy can run scheme like nobody else but his passing schemes are very simple and easy to defend. It's one of the reasons they let him go. He also apparently was at odds with some of the key offensive players during his time here. Plus, his playbook is enormous. Tons of pre-snap movement and running the same plays out of different formations. You hear it all the time with coaches, they say their young guys will be playing better as soon as they don't have to think and can just play fast. Roman's encyclopedia sized playbook isn't the greatest in helping young players learn quick and play fast. 

Offensive coordinator searches are fraught with terror but Dennison is lousy.  He's just not good at that job.  

Retreads are stonecutters - they rely way too much on what's worked in the past.  

Young, inexperienced guys are scratch off lottery tickets.  You can win big with a McVay or lose with a Nate Hackett.  McVay is no super genius - his skill is in scheming around the talent, not vice versa.  It's why Todd Gurley goes from never catching passes to now being a pass catching bulldozer out of the backfield.  Todd Gurley could always catch passes.  It's just Jeff Fisher still saw running backs through a circa 1995 lens.  

I'd rather take my chances with a younger coordinator.  I think they are better at working with what they've got personnel wise.  I think a retread comes in and tries to bolt on yet another completely different type of blocking scheme, running scheme, etc.  

59 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

we tried that with McCoy and he used us to drive up his price with Denver.  coaches don't look fondly at a situation like ours with no QB and our best player is a 30+ yr old RB.  we won't get the cream of the crop here.  we go for the 2nd tier coaches and overpay :(

Well we will see who we have at QB after the draft...

If we draft a young QB, I think we could get any OC we want.  Defense is heading in the right direction and the OC will have full control of the offense without the HC wanting to take play calling or looking over his shoulder too much.  With Mccoy, Benjamin, Clay...I think that's pretty desirable in terms of mismatches.  

If you go college ranks, there’s a lot of noise down here that Matt Canada is waiting on an NFL job to open up soon. It’s become evident that he’s heading out because he was taken off the recruiting trail weeks leading up to signing day.

Also of note, he was Peterman’s OC and QB coach at Pitt.