ESPN predicts Alex Smith as starting Bills QB in 2018.

PIZ

40 minutes ago, unclepete said:

He Ravens offense doesn't look very good and he'n not the coordinator there. He also struggled toward the end of his tenure with the 49ers while Roman was there. I'm not advocating for Roman to come back. Just making a statement that good coaches adjust their systems to fit their talent. We've seen Tyrod play better than he's played this year albeit with more talent. Andy Reid is an offensive mind who's had success everywhere he's gone. No use in spending the money or trading an asset when we have a similar QB under contract. Draft the QB and continue to get more young talent with the extra picks

Harbaugh had a QB that played extremely well (2011 and 2012) until getting benched for some unknown reason (after 10 games in 2012) that lead to his ultimate undoing later on.  Smith was having a great year in 2012, he had a 70.2% completion pct and 104 passer rating and was benched? LOL  Reid seen it and pounced on the opportunity to snag him in 2013 like a smart coach would do. You see the results in KC and every year since then, Alex is playing better and better every year pretty much since 2011 on. Tyrod is playing worse and worse.

To put 70.2% pct into perspective, it is tied with Montana (8th) all time by a QB in NFL history. The best ever was Brees in 2011 @ 71.8%

Roman is not an OC anymore, he's a glorified "offensive assistant"

Sign me up for Smith as a Vet placeholder, draft a rookie 1st rd and let him develop behind Smith and unseat him when and if better.

Edited by Real McCoy

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Harbaugh had a QB that played extremely well until getting benched for some unknown reason (after 10 games) that lead to his ultimate undoing later on.  Smith was a great year in 2012, he had a 70% completion pct and 104 passer rating and was benched? LOL  Reid seen it and pounced on the opportunity to snag him in 2013 like a smart coach would and you see the history.

Kap lead them to a Superbowl and NFC championship. And one pass away from a championship. That 49ers team was also loaded with talent. Alex Smith is Tyrod Taylor in much better situations. Neither are elite but can be good in the right situation

Edited by unclepete

15 minutes ago, unclepete said:

Kap lead them to a Superbowl and NFC championship. And one pass away from a championship. That 49ers team was also loaded with talent. Alex Smith is Tyrod Taylro in much better situations. Neither are elite but can be good in the right situation

Yeah their D was loaded with Talent and carried them. Kap was a shiny new puzzle piece no one had a firm grasp on yet. 

Once teams understood how to adjust to Kaps style after 2 years it was 100% all over. Roman canned and Kap fell off the planet, Harbaugh quit.

Alex Smith lead the 49'ers to a 13-3 record with the 9'ers in 2011 BTW with that crazy D. Harbaugh tossing Smith was his ultimate undoing in this league.

Edited by Real McCoy

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....all 3 Vikes QB's are UFA's......Bradford is probably the odd man out (no thanks BTW) with Keenum & Bridgewater getting re-signed IMO.............

Depends if Briodgewater wants to potentially backup Keenum or go somewhere where he can start. The NFC playoffs will tell a big part of the story as well.

17 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Depends if Briodgewater wants to potentially backup Keenum or go somewhere where he can start. The NFC playoffs will tell a big part of the story as well.

....agree....Bridgewater's long term health may be a question....BUT a remarkable recovery so far.....

21 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It would make no sense to sign Cousins to a long term deal AND draft a QB with our top pick.

We haven't had a QB for 20 years.  I like Cousins, but he wouldn't be anywhere near the market if he was a "can't miss".  We have an extra 1 and a extra 2.  It certainly wouldn't wreck our franchise depth to lock a young QB into a 5 year deal AND sign a guy like Cousins and it would give us multiple chances at finally solving the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

PLEASE NO MORE RETREAD QB's CAST OFF FROM OTHER TEAMS! How many Superbowls have these two Super Stars played in?

Maybe zero for these 2 guys, but many teams do very well with other teams cast offs.

Drew Brees won a SB

Trent Dilfer won a SB

Curt Warner got back to SB

Craig Morton went to a SB

Fish did the El Perfecto with a cast off (Earl Moral playing most of the year)

Cardinals have gone to playoffs several times with Palmer.

Broncos went to 2 SBs winning 1 with castoff Manning

Raiders went to SB with Rich Gannon

49ers won SB with castoff Steve Young

Bucs won SB with Brad Johnson

Bills made playoffs twice with castoff Flutie

Vikings won division with castoff Case Keenum playing most of year

Vikings were a missed FG from going to SB with Randall Cunningham

Packers won a SB with castoff Favre

Seahawks went to SB with castoff Hasselbeck

Washington went to playoffs with Brunell

Cheaps got eliminated by Bills with castoff Joe Montana at QB

Vikings went to playoffs with castoff Favre

Castoffs can be good. 

We need a better QB. No sense in not even considering a place where many playoff QBs and even some SB winners came from.

It makes no sense to pay more to get a very slight upgrade at QB only to eat all that dead money when the rookie is ready. Just draft the best QB we can get our hands on and we'll figure out if we even need to keep Taylor after the rookie and Peterman show us if they are ready to start or be the #2. If neither one is ready, THEN we keep Taylor. The notion that any of these guys will be worth more than Taylor plus whoever else we have to turn down or let go to sign a QB like Smith, Cousins, Keenum, etc. is nonsense. Some of these guys may be better than Tyrod, but the difference isn't worth the money we'd likely have to pay.

Edited by GreggTX

On 12/22/2017 at 6:46 AM, The Jokeman said:

Actually he signed a five year deal but with way it's structured it's more like two years. I admit I was pounding the Foles bandwagon last off season as our bridge QB.https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/03/17/nick-foles-eagles-contract-void

i was too and couldn't believe all the guys who said he was garbage and a one hit wonder....plus when he was in kc his salary was very reasonable...but the mcstaff was not here yet so...

On 12/22/2017 at 12:34 PM, unclepete said:

Kap lead them to a Superbowl and NFC championship. And one pass away from a championship. That 49ers team was also loaded with talent. Alex Smith is Tyrod Taylor in much better situations. Neither are elite but can be good in the right situation

Alex Smith is 10 X the passer that Taylor is. A pretty good runner too. It's really not even close, I've never understood the comparison. Neither is elite, but if the Bills had managed to pull off their attempted trade for Smith in 2013 I'm pretty certain the drought would already have ended. 

Smith is better then TT.  Smith throw the ball on time and has some anticipation .   Taylor is more elusive. I would argue he has to be because he often holds the ball instead of throwing it quickly to the hot read.   I think the odds are pretty that Cousins, Bradford or SMith will be the starter with Nathan as the back up.   

On 12/21/2017 at 4:11 PM, BigDingus said:

Are you kidding?

Would you have liked to have Drew Brees as  your QB for the past 6 years? If the answer is yes, he is 39 right now. QB's play a LOT longer now. If a good QB that's 33 becomes available, you take him! 

People that like Tyrod always talk about how he's a game manager & protects the ball & spin his ridiculously low numbers as if they're some sort of accomplishment.

Alex Smith is an actual game manager that has the ability to do far more. He's better in every conceivable way except running the ball, and even then he's a good dual threat QB & runs quite often.

267 yards per game, 3,738 yards, 67.8% completion percentage, 25 TDs & 5 Ints. 105.4 Passer Rating. Yeah, who would want that when you could have 178 yards per game, 2,314 yards, 62.8% completion percentage, 13 TDs, 4 Ints, & 89.1 Passer Rating?

Drew Brees is a future hall of famer. Most QB's don't play until they are 39. Alex Smith does not have that many more good years in him, and he has always been only an above average QB anyway.

18 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Smith is better then TT.  Smith throw the ball on time and has some anticipation .   Taylor is more elusive. I would argue he has to be because he often holds the ball instead of throwing it quickly to the hot read.   I think the odds are pretty that Cousins, Bradford or SMith will be the starter with Nathan as the back up.   

We need a better backup. Look at the Vikings and Packers this year. Vikings are still in it because they have a good backup. Packers are out because they do not.