Per Murphy: Bills offense now 6th in the league in rushing

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm dead serious.  Name an OC who could create a sustaining offense with our current QB situation.  We have a QB who can't consistently pass the ball more than 6 feet in the air.  In most games, the line provides ample time in passing plays.  You think Dennison prefers that Tyrod holds the ball forever and either checks down, improvises or takes stupid sacks?  Give Dennison even a moderately talented QB, and keep Shady, and I think you'd (hopefully you'll) see that the problem isn't the guy with the headset; it's the guy taking snaps.

My half assed answer right now is I'm not sure as I would have to think about it. But I'm sure there are better than Dennison.

Lack of talent aside, I really hate his offensive scheme/vanilla play calls/bad game planning.

I personally think he is awful. I understand your point about the lack of talent he has to work with, but it's also entirely possible, (and probably the case) that it's a combination of lack of talent and a bad offensive coordinator, which has lead to this terrible offence this year.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Throwing to mostly RBs and TEs this season with a deficient WR Corps, that's not really a surprise.   What else you want to cheery pick?  We already know he's not a great QB and a long term answer is needed, but he's not the dregs you make him out to be.  Like I said, your not an honest broker with regard to him. 

Falling between 25 and 32 in this category for every year he's a starter isn't cherry picking, sweet pea.  I know you wanted him to be good.  We all did.  He's just not.  Every meaningful stat out there will show that.  Except rushing.  Guess what, babe ... that's what running backs are for.

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

My half assed answer right now is I'm not sure as I would have to think about it. But I'm sure there are better than Dennison.

Lack of talent aside, I really hate his offensive scheme/vanilla play calls/bad game planning.

I personally think he is awful. I understand your point about the lack of talent he has to work with, but it's also entirely possible, (and probably the case) that it's a combination of lack of talent and a bad offensive coordinator, which has lead to this terrible offence this year.

Ideally, they should look to upgrade at both QB and OC. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Falling between 25 and 32 in this category for every year he's a starter isn't cherry picking, sweet pea.  I know you wanted him to be good.  We all did.  He's just not.  Every meaningful stat out there will show that.  Except rushing.  Guess what, babe ... that's what running backs are for.

Cute names aside, he is who and what he is. That's a lot better than you believe and you're still comic relief. 

1713-10Taylor-768x432.jpg

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Cute names aside, he is who and what he is. That's a lot better than you believe and you're still comic relief. 

1713-10Taylor-768x432.jpg

Yards - 26

TD - 25

Y/A - 26

Y/C - 31

Y/G - 32

NY/A - 27

COMP - 25

Team YPG - 32

Team Passing TD - 27

Team Y/P - 30

Team Points Scored - 23

These are meaningful stats, my friend.  That's an average of 28th in the league for every meaningful offensive stat for QB and team.

Edited by Gugny

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Yards - 26

TD - 25

Y/A - 26

Y/C - 31

Y/G - 32

NY/A - 27

COMP - 25

Team YPG - 32

Team Passing TD - 27

Team Y/P - 30

Team Points Scored - 23

These are meaningful stats, my friend.

QB attempts/game - 32   There's a correlation, but of course you conveniently didn't list that one.   Shocked! 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

QB attempts/game - 32   There's a correlation, but of course you conveniently didn't list that one.   Shocked! 

The correlation is that the Bills have a one dimensional offense because not one defense in the league respects the passing game.

But you'll say, "we're a run first team a hut, a hut."

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The correlation is that the Bills have a one dimensional offense because not one defense in the league respects the passing game.

But you'll say, "we're a run first team a hut, a hut."

Has he had some clunkers mixed in? Sure. But this is stuck on stupid exaggerated silliness.

s0yfx5.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

11 hours ago, joesixpack said:

So much for the narrative that dennison destroyed the run offense O.o

Total run yards says a lot about two things ... how often you run and how well you run. 

We run an awful lot. And decently. Tied for 13th in the league in YPA, the key stat for how well you run. 4.2 yards per carry.

Dennison's run game has been OK. The problem is that he followed a regime that was absolutely terrific at the run game, the Roman scheme as used by Roman himself and the guys who inherited it after he was let go. Dennison was never going to be as good. But he's been alright at the run game.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Has he had some clunkers mixed in? Sure. But this is stuck on stupid exaggerated silliness.

s0yfx5.jpg

While I think he has overstated his case, I think he's right that nobody respects our passing game. Yeah, he's had some clunkers mixed in, but that's just it, they weren't just not very good, they were stunningly bad, and there were a lot of fairly ineffective games. Yup, a few good ones too but there's a reason that when you average them, the results ain't good.

Tyrod's been consistently inconsistent. Teams have focused on making him be a QB. And that's not a good thing, even when your QB is a terrific runner, as Tyrod certainly is.

You're saying he needs to be replaced, so I don't have any major disagreement with you. Wouldn't mind if they dump Dennison too. But they need to bring in a serious QB.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, fansince88 said:

No, Mcd pointed out the second half issue in the post game presser. I dont buy your theory

McDermott says a lot of stuff he doesn't mean.

on a Sunday he says "Tyrod's our starter." On a Monday he says "Tyrod's our starter." On a Wednesday he says "Tyrod is not our starter."

I like Mcdermott as a Head Coach, but hard to believe anything he says.

13 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm going to stop pinning 2nd halves on Dennison as much as McDermott.  When we went into a shell in the 2nd half against the Dolphins, I'd say that's just Dennison following a direct command from McDermott to go uber conservative.  I don't like that call, but it's worked so far... even if I think it fails if we take the same approach if we manage a lead in NE.

Exactly. THIS is the plan. Get ahead. Sit on the ball.  It's not Hotrod. It's not Rico. It's McDermott. It's THE PROCESS. And, ... It's working so far.  

I'm not going to dog the process while it's working.

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Yay, were a rushing team in a passing league, please get us a QB... I appreciate all that McCoy is and has done but we need someone who can win throwing the ball.

Drew Brees is having a career year because he has a two-headed monster in their run game!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

McDermott says a lot of stuff he doesn't mean.

on a Sunday he says "Tyrod's our starter." On a Monday he says "Tyrod's our starter." On a Wednesday he says "Tyrod is not our starter."

I like Mcdermott as a Head Coach, but hard to believe anything he says.

Or he rationalizes things. You have never changed your mind? I just find it amazing that people go on and on about that as if he had to stay with his statement on Sunday. If he wasnt decisive like that he would be blamed for being stubbon. 

18 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

how did he do in the 2nd half last week?

another 2nd half like that they go 1-2 in this final stretch.

not bad really...two big drops, one big over throw and the score is likely 31-6 deep into the fourth quarter (or better). Yes he dialed up run plays, duh we are a run first team, but if the players executed then Dennison's "going into a shell" doesn't look so bad...relax (And I do not like Dennison, just calling a spade a spade)

Edited by PaattMaann

21 hours ago, joesixpack said:

So much for the narrative that dennison destroyed the run offense O.o

?? -- They have gone from 1st in YPA in both 2015 and 2016 to 13th in YPA. That's a huge decline (granted, they're not terrible). 

YPA for both passing and rushing is in my view the best measure of offensive success. 

2 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

Yes, but his SACKS aren't...

ok...?  I'd assume the same rules to the stat count for every other team.

Basically my point..... insert a a pocket-passer, and he's not inheriting a top-5 rushing attach.

Tell me when we are 6th in the NFL in passing and then I will get excited.

On 12/20/2017 at 3:43 AM, ganesh said:

Drew Brees is having a career year because he has a two-headed monster in their run game!!!

It's the threat of Drew Bree's passing for 400 that makes the safties play back and keep LB's in coverage. They have a balanced attack working right now and I think they will win the super bowl.

If they get down Bree's can bring them back if they are playing a good run defense Bree's can shred them through the air. 

The Buffalo Bills offense looks like cow pie if you can stop the run.