So if we end up 9-7 and lose a tie-breaker...

JÂy RÛßeÒ

10 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Name the loss that you think had the biggest impact.

The way I see the next 2 weeks, it looks to me like we realistically lose a head-to-head with the Chargers for the 6th seed based on remaining schedules.  So one could say that the loss to the Chargers was the biggest.  After all, McDermott decided to start Peterman over Taylor in that game and he shat the bed.

But to me, the loss to the Jets on Thursday Night Football was the one.  We were so unprepared for that game - it looked like at 5-2 we believed that we'd win if we just showed up.  And that began our 3-straight-blowout-loss downfall.  But the other 2 were against teams that ended up in the playoffs (in this scenario) and were at least semi-expected.  I do believe that we SHOULD have beaten the Jets that night, and Tyrod DID start that one.

The other huge loss to directly cause us to miss the playoffs in this scenario was Tennessee losing to San Fran on that last second field goal last Sunday.  We would win a 3-way tie at 9-7 including Tennessee.

I'm not giving up on this year - stranger things have happened than San Diego losing to the Jets or Oakland, or Tennessee beating the Rams or Jags, or even us beating New England.

Sammy

*ducks and runs*

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The way I see the next 2 weeks, it looks to me like we realistically lose a head-to-head with the Chargers for the 6th seed based on remaining schedules.  So one could say that the loss to the Chargers was the biggest.  After all, McDermott decided to start Peterman over Taylor in that game and he shat the bed.

But to me, the loss to the Jets on Thursday Night Football was the one.  We were so unprepared for that game - it looked like at 5-2 we believed that we'd win if we just showed up.  And that began our 3-straight-blowout-loss downfall.  But the other 2 were against teams that ended up in the playoffs (in this scenario) and were at least semi-expected.  I do believe that we SHOULD have beaten the Jets that night, and Tyrod DID start that one.

The other huge loss to directly cause us to miss the playoffs in this scenario was Tennessee losing to San Fran on that last second field goal last Sunday.  We would win a 3-way tie at 9-7 including Tennessee.

I'm not giving up on this year - stranger things have happened than San Diego losing to the Jets or Oakland, or Tennessee beating the Rams or Jags, or even us beating New England.

Jets...that is not a goos team, we should have beaten them.

On 12/19/2017 at 6:01 AM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Some will insist it was the chargers and that we somehow would have beat them with Taylor starting, but that is a fallacy and the games that truly cost this team the season are the Bengals and Jets.

Two terrible teams that we should have beat on the road if not for McD's play not to lose mentality, especially against the Bengals when we had one of the early season 3+ turnover games from our defense. No excuse not to win, let alone the game even be close at the end but it proved this team simply wasn't as good as most thought.

So if/when we do miss out by one lousy game that's where the blame falls.

In fact it reminds me a lot of 2004 when everybody still points fingers at the season finale at home against the Steelers 3rd stringers, but in reality that game wouldn't have mattered either if not for a ridiculous last second loss to the Jaguars at home in the season opener when Nate Clements completely blew the game and allowed the game winning TD to the Jags.

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Chargers.  Biggest mistake of McDermott's season to start Peterman against the Chargers.

There really isn't any way you can say that decision was anything other than gross negligence given the state of our OL and the pass rush they were about to face.

And boy, did it ever blow up in our faces.

Regardless of the QB decision the defense was terrible and played the same way they did the previous 2 weeks against the Jets and Saints.

And while I certainly don't believe TT would have thrown 5 INT's, he obviously wouldn't have scored enough points to match what Rivers and the Chargers did even if it wasn't 40+ because of the early hole.

I will say the Chargers game to my grave. Dumbest coaching decision I have ever seen.

18 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Regardless of the QB decision the defense was terrible and played the same way they did the previous 2 weeks against the Jets and Saints.

And while I certainly don't believe TT would have thrown 5 INT's, he obviously wouldn't have scored enough points to match what Rivers and the Chargers did even if it wasn't 40+ because of the early hole.

The Chargers just aren't that good dude. We panicked, and the results showed.

23 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

I mean if we play the "what if" game...what if Von Miller doesn't get hit with that terrible unsportsmanlike call and we lose to the Broncos? Seasons play out the way they do. Win some you shouldn't and lose some that you should win. 

We'd have still won. Their offense was not scoring again. 

On 12/19/2017 at 6:57 AM, Antonio said:

Bengals, we had that game in our hand and gave it away.

Jets lose was really bad, but we never had a chance.

Panthers game was inches away, but it was an expected L in my book, thanks to the D we were close.

These are the 3 in any order. Tyrod wasn't beating the Chargers down there either.

• Like (+1) 1

Cincy cause we're a better team, unfortunately the offense went MIA. 

The Chargers game comes to mind as well. Not starting the guy who got thus far was stupid on McDs part, especially in the thick of the playoffs. 

Jets, not so much.  They're better than most think and we were going in on the road on a short week against a division rival. Thanks schedule makers!