Would you be against the Bills bringing in Eli AND drafting a QB in the first round?

njbuff

I say do it the right way and bring in Eli and draft a first round QB. Let that first round QB sit for two years.

And by all heck, get Eli an OL here. The Bills will have the draft capital and salary cap space to do so.

Might be too much to ask as I really don't know if Eli has anything left in the tank and if he does he is certainly a better QB than Taylor.

Also, I don't know if any 2018 QB's drafted can start right away.

How far fetched is this idea?????? Or is it even possible?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Eli won't come here.  He'll stay with the Giants, retire or rejoin Coughlin.

Or Denver like his brother is my guess. He seemed really hurt by the decision. Makes me think he still wants to play and prove them wrong

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

Why do you think Eli would be an upgrade over Tyrod? You guys are amazing. Hint: those SB victories weren't yesterday.

Oh good because Tom Brady is 4.5 years older so I guess we don't have anything to worry about on Sunday. He won his 1st super bowl while Eli was still in school. I'd take Archie Manning over Tyrod at this point

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I say do it the right way and bring in Eli and draft a first round QB. Let that first round QB sit for two years.

And by all heck, get Eli an OL here. The Bills will have the draft capital and salary cap space to do so.

Might be too much to ask as I really don't know if Eli has anything left in the tank and if he does he is certainly a better QB than Taylor.

What evidence draws you to this conclusion?

6 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

Why do you think Eli would be an upgrade over Tyrod? You guys are amazing. Hint: those SB victories weren't yesterday.

Eli actually plays the position.

Sure, he won't be scrambling for a handful of TD's anytime soon, but completed passes, attacking downfield, running a 2 minute drill?

Sign me up please.

I don't know if I would even want Eli. He was to me an above average QB but not elite. It should be noted that his playing issues the last few years can mostly be contributed to the lack of O-line support to protect him. The big questions are does he have anything left in the tank and how much is he going to cost? Some of the positives with him are that he is durable, and isn't afraid to sling the pig skin. Not sure he's worth the risk though.

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Sure, he won't be scrambling for a handful of TD's anytime soon, but completed passes, attacking downfield, running a 2 minute drill?

Sign me up please.

With this o-line? The Bills offensive line is certainly that - offensive. 

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Sign me up please.

He actually completes a lower percentage and has less yards per attempt. If that’s important to you, I guess you prefer Tyrod to Eli.

I'd take Eli.  The guy was playing almost all season behind a subpar O-line, and without his top 2 WR's, and zero RB support.  

But, I have a feeling he ends up in Jax, which has a fantastic RB situation, a good-great O-line, and 2-3 very talented WR's.  

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He actually completes a lower percentage and has less yards per attempt. If that’s important to you, I guess you prefer Tyrod to Eli.

Do you think Tyrod has gotten the OL set at the line to run the 2 minute drill against KC yet?  Or will it be another couple days?

Yes because he is washed up.  I'm all for them bringing in a guy but I hope its Case Keenum...he has really turned into a fine QB...reminds me a lot of the Rich Gannon career path...middling backup turned bad starter until one day the light just goes on and he becomes really good

Edited by matter2003

17 minutes ago, njbuff said:

While anything is possible I would be completely against it. Eli has seen his play slip and losing his top receivers is only part of the reason why. Father time has caught up with him. Also, I don't think he would come to Buffalo on a team friendly contract and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

In addition, unless there is a major upgrade to the oline Eli would get "murder-ized" back there. 

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Do you think Tyrod has gotten the OL set at the line to run the 2 minute drill against KC yet?  Or will it be another couple days?

I was just responding to the things that you were looking for. You brought up 3 things and 2 of them were false. Tyrod is not very good in the 2 minute drill, is Eli anymore? I don’t know how to find that information but I’d assume that the Bills have scored as many or more points than the Giants in the 2 minute drill. 

1 minute ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

Tyrod > Eli talk is wild.  

One game with your life on the line, you're picking Eli. 

I think everyone would agree to that. Over a 16 game season Tyrod has been a superior player for almost 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I was just responding to the things that you were looking for. You brought up 3 things and 2 of them were false. Tyrod is not very good in the 2 minute drill, is Eli anymore? I don’t know how to find that information but I’d assume that the Bills have scored as many or more points than the Giants in the 2 minute drill. 

Well, I think you misunderstood.  I meant completions to WR's and TE's.  Not to Mike Tolbert for 4 yards on 3rd and 8.

Hey just remember..."52 is the Mike!"  said Tyrod never

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Just seems more logical all the way around IMO.  He was very good when healthy in Minnesota.

I'd put Bradford over Eli also, IMO.  If he is healthy, you get great play and a rookie can learn from a great QB.  If not, your rookie gets to play. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Well, I think you misunderstood.  I meant completions to WR's and TE's.  Not to Mike Tolbert for 4 yards on 3rd and 8.

I didn’t misunderstand. 

You said “completed passes, attacking downfield” and I responded that Tyrod is completing a higher percentage and has more yards per attempt. He has a higher yards per completion as well. Again, what you are saying is not true.

FWIW, the Bills are 12th in 3rd down % at 39.8% and the Giants are 30th at 32.2%.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t misunderstand. 

You said “completed passes, attacking downfield” and I responded that Tyrod is completing a higher percentage and has more yards per attempt. He has a higher yards per completion as well. Again, what you are saying is not true.

FWIW, the Bills are 12th in 3rd down % at 39.8% and the Giants are 30th at 32.2%.

YPA doesn't mean attacking downfield.  It's YPA.

I'm sorry dude.  If Eli and TT are both FA's next year, we know who will be more highly sought after.

It's time to give up.

Edited by jmc12290

28 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Sign me up please.

Unless Eli can magically learn to complete passes from his back, it won't matter.  I laugh at you people thinking a pocket passer with no wheels can step in and instantly make this team better (assuming the same Oline is protecting the QB).  Peterman's inexperience aside, the dude was a statue and he got planted into the LA turf more times than I could count.  

Edited by Bills757

33 minutes ago, njbuff said:

While theoretically its not a terrible idea to bring a vet in who can start while our first round rookie sits and grooms.  Actually, its a great idea...except for the part where you added Eli into the Vet spot.  Not that I would be against Eli as the Vet, honestly its not like better Vets will be readily available unless you are gonna open the vault for a guy like Cousins (which I think would be a mistake).  Its more about what it will cost to get Eli...which I still think won't be cheap because I can see teams like AZ, Den, and Jax willing to shell out bigger money to make a run next year who have weapons on offense, and good defenses to surround him with to make a push for a title run if they can get better QB play.  AZ, maybe not as much as they may still run with Palmer one more year and I don't know they are much different, but I am not convinced Palmer doesn't retire either after yet another injury.  

Personally, I look at the Jets and see a guy like McCown holding down the gig in a solid fashion (they just don't have any good QB's behind him to develop).  I would rather go with a low price choice like that, even say TT again (although I think that ship has sailed after they benched him) and look to maybe get the rookie in there around mis season.  Eli is the kind of Vet you bring in to make a push next year, and just don't see him having enough to really help us make a push...so lets go get cheap vet who can hopefully keep the rookie on the bench part of the season to learn a little more before taking over.  Or if the rookie out plays him in preseason can be a solid backup behind our new rookie.

Just now, Bills757 said:

Unless Eli can magically learn to complete passes from his back, it won't matter.  I laugh at you people thinking a pocket passer with no wheels can step in and instantly make this team better.  Peterman's inexperience aside, the dude was a statue and he got planted into the LA turf more times than I could count.  

You can't count pretty high then.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

You can't count pretty high then.

Haha.  How about TOO MANY times?  That better?  

Be careful what you wish for because if Eli came to Buffalo and we had the same Oline, he'll get crushed.  Then you'll get the sour puss attitude he's so famous for and that'll be that.  

5 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

YPA doesn't mean attacking downfield.  It's YPA.

I'm sorry dude.  If Eli and TT are both FA's next year, we know who will be more highly sought after.

It's time to give up.

So you are ignoring yards per attempt and yards per completion? You argument is based on what then, a feeling you have?!? Don’t let facts distort your perception.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So you are ignoring yards per attempt and yards per completion? You argument is based on what then, a feeling you have?!? Don’t let facts distort your perception.

Watching the players.  I personally do not care that TT has a smidge higher YPA or completion percentage compared to 2017 Eli on a tanking team.

Eli had 6 game winning drives last year and won 11 games on his way to the postseason.  I'll take him over Tyrod's 6th alternate ProBowl appearance.  

3 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

Haha.  How about TOO MANY times?  That better?  

Be careful what you wish for because if Eli came to Buffalo and we had the same Oline, he'll get crushed.  Then you'll get the sour puss attitude he's so famous for and that'll be that.  

He's famous for being a 2 time SuperBowl MVP.  

A couple draws and screens to Shady, and some deep balls and the defenses will back right off. Sign me up!

Watching the players.  I personally do not care that TT has a smidge higher YPA or completion percentage compared to 2017 Eli on a tanking team.

Eli had 6 game winning drives last year and won 11 games on his way to the postseason.  I'll take him over Tyrod's 6th alternate ProBowl appearance.  

It’s fine that you would take Eli over Tyrod. It’s not fine to base that on “completing passes or attacking downfield.” The “eye test” from message board posters isn’t going to win many debates.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Again, unless Eli can accomplish such feats with the Bills' Oline, your statement is moot.  

He's famous for being a 2 time SuperBowl MVP.  

A couple draws and screens to Shady, and some deep balls and the defenses will back right off. Sign me up!

Soooo, who's he gonna throw the deep balls to, and, how is he going to have time to wait for the WR to run that far to throw a deep ball?

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

Despite the outrage over his benching, Manning is pretty much finished.

We need to stick with NP as the starter heading into 2018 and double down on drafting another QB to compete with him.

NP might not be on the roster!! We are looking at a 1st round QB and a stopgap vet (maybe Bridgewater). I think that we have a new OC too. I’d say it’s roughly 70/30 that he’s on the team.