Would you be against the Bills bringing in Eli AND drafting a QB in the first round?

njbuff

52 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Thank you. It is appreciated.

However, it begins a different part about the significance of those stats. Obviously, Tyrod is much, much more elusive and fast, but it would be great to know ( and I don't think anyone has taken the time to do this) how many of those rushing yards were due to him waiting too long in the pocket? When he was essentially forced to run because he didn't get the ball out on time? In Eli's case, nearly everyone of those kinds will turn into an incomplete pass or a sack, so that's just something I wonder....not asking you specifically to know that or find out, I'm just more curious....and it doesn't have to be Eli, it can be any other standard QB who doesn't run much or often.

I understand it's gross career numbers, but I was shocked to see that Eli's combined rushing and sack yards came out to -1,900 yards over his career :lol:

22 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

So head coaching changes, as well as their decision to fire an OC during the season, has nothing to do with this?  I doubt Tyrod tells the FO "This OC sucks, get rid of him." 

Have to agree with Kirby that Tyrod hasn't changed, he's still the same player he was two years ago.

I think there's a pattern of regression, personally. It's arguable, but his ANY/A in 2015 put him 9th best in the league. In 2016 he slid to 18th, and this year he's at 21st. Some will attribute this to the offensive coordinator(s), others will just as viably (IMO) attribute it to opposing defensive coordinators. 

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think there's a pattern of regression, personally. It's arguable, but his ANY/A in 2015 put him 9th best in the league. In 2016 he slid to 18th, and this year he's at 21st. Some will attribute this to the offensive coordinator(s), others will just as viably (IMO) attribute it to opposing defensive coordinators. 

Definitely a negative trend. Also potentially correlated with the amount of talent on the field around him. We've had discussion about my system previously, in 2015 he was a 78.7 (13th), 2016 he was 72.9 (14th), this year he's 69.4 (17th among starters with Watson, Rodgers, and Palmer having higher ratings prior to injury).

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I do agree that that it is a challenge to tailor your scheme (no pun intended) to your talent but I just watched Andy Reid, Doug Pederson and Bill O’Brien do it. Why can’t Dennison? If the answer is “because he isn’t very good” it just proves my point.

:thumbsup:   This is what makes me angriest about the Bills this year.  It's like they (the FO and at least some of the coaching staff like Dennison) decided that since the players Bills had didn't fit their pre-conceived ideas of what they wanted, they basically gave up on the season despite the fact that the Bills played pretty well the first half of the season.  That's an insult to the players and to the fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What if there's no QB worth drafting left by the time the Bills pick in the first round?  To say, "they better draft a QB in the first round" without even knowing which QBs will actually be availabe for the draft seems foolhardy to me and smacks of just drafting a QB to please the fans.  The Bills, of course, will probably do it ... they seem to have drafted Losman and Manuel for just that reason.

FYI: between  2000 and 2015, there have been as many as 4 QBs go in the first round but only in 2004 did as many as 3 of the first rounders become top QBs.  2005 (Smith, Rodgers), 2008 (Ryan, Flacco), and 2012 (Luck, Tannehill) had 2 first rounders who were keepers.  You might include 2015 (Winston, Mariota) as well but neither one has made enough progress to say they "top QBs" right now.  2002, 2006, 2007, 2010, and 2013 didn't produce any franchise QBs from any round, and 2014 looks to be another dud unless Teddy Bridgewater not only comes back from a devastating injury but also plays significantly better than he did early in his career.

Drafting JP and EJ wouldn't have been so bad if the Bills weren't idiots.

24 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What if there's no QB worth drafting left by the time the Bills pick in the first round?  To say, "they better draft a QB in the first round" without even knowing which QBs will actually be availabe for the draft seems foolhardy to me and smacks of just drafting a QB to please the fans.  The Bills, of course, will probably do it ... they seem to have drafted Losman and Manuel for just that reason.

FYI: between  2000 and 2015, there have been as many as 4 QBs go in the first round but only in 2004 did as many as 3 of the first rounders become top QBs.  2005 (Smith, Rodgers), 2008 (Ryan, Flacco), and 2012 (Luck, Tannehill) had 2 first rounders who were keepers.  You might include 2015 (Winston, Mariota) as well but neither one has made enough progress to say they "top QBs" right now.  2002, 2006, 2007, 2010, and 2013 didn't produce any franchise QBs from any round, and 2014 looks to be another dud unless Teddy Bridgewater not only comes back from a devastating injury but also plays significantly better than he did early in his career.

Tannehill shouldn't really count either, if we're being honest.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

"Superior player"....if you count rushing yards, fine....if you say he is the better athlete, no argument here....

But "superior" QB, oh hell to the no. QBs are supposed to pass the ball to their WRs and TEs, use the RB by design and occasionally a dump-off...hit all areas of the field, read a Defense and audible....oh Dear God, here I go again....it's fine. You like Tyrod, I don't....this is like beating my balls with a meat hammer....

There was a discussion about this a while back, and numerous posters made persuasive arguments that over his entire career, Eli has been a very average QB.  He's had seasons and parts of seasons in which he's been marvelously great but other seasons and parts of seasons when he's stunk up the stadium.  He's just not a superior QB who might have a bad game or 2 in a season the way his brother was or the way QBs like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Rivers are.  He has bad games in bunches.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

I say do it the right way and bring in Eli and draft a first round QB. Let that first round QB sit for two years.

And by all heck, get Eli an OL here. The Bills will have the draft capital and salary cap space to do so.

Might be too much to ask as I really don't know if Eli has anything left in the tank and if he does he is certainly a better QB than Taylor.

Also, I don't know if any 2018 QB's drafted can start right away.

How far fetched is this idea?????? Or is it even possible?

Above average QB ? 2 SB MVP ‘s yah pretty average , 

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

Eli never got hurt or played so poorly he got benched for a fifth round rookie.

So, yes.

He apparently played poorly enough that the Giants owner ok'd him being benched for a career backup QB, which is worse IMO.  At least Peterman was "unknown".  Geno is all too well "known".

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

He apparently played poorly enough that the Giants owner ok'd him being benched for a career backup QB, which is worse IMO.  At least Peterman was "unknown".  Geno is all too well "known".

Eli was benched because the Giants don't want to win games.  He's being benched because he's too good.  Complete opposite.

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Yes because he is washed up.  I'm all for them bringing in a guy but I hope its Case Keenum...he has really turned into a fine QB...reminds me a lot of the Rich Gannon career path...middling backup turned bad starter until one day the light just goes on and he becomes really good

The jets were thinking the same about Fitzpatrick , 

40 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

they'll draft a QB. 

Oh, I don't doubt that they will.  I just hope it's not for the wrong reason (to please the fans) or worse, trade up to draft a QB for the wrong reason. 

26 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Drafting JP and EJ wouldn't have been so bad if the Bills weren't idiots.

They drafted them because they (the Bills) WERE idiots.  As I said, it seems like they drafted both just to please the fans, and each choice was egregious in it's own way.  Losman cost them their 2005 first round pick (plus a 2004 2nd and 5th) which they could have used on Aaron Rodgers, who was available at #18.   Manuel was the best QB in probably the worst QB class in a couple of decades.  That was blatantly just drafting a QB in the first round -- any QB -- just to say they did.  If they gotten their heads out of their butts a year earlier, they could have had Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins but Buddy Nix didn't like QBs who weren't in the preferred physical mold.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like this argument too. His last OC is a HC!! His OC in Baltimore won a super bowl as a HC and tried to sign him. That’s a pretty weak argument.

Tyrod never saw live bullets with Kubiak.

And good thing he didn't.  Might've cost him that Superbowl.

30 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Tannehill shouldn't really count either, if we're being honest.

As a successful QB?  Maybe not, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  My point is that all these folks expecting the Bills to hit the NFL lottery by just because they  draft a QB in the first round are more likely to be disappointed than not.  Maybe the Bills would do better, if there's no suitable QB available in the first round, to consider looking for a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round who has a real excuse for not being a first rounder (like being short like Russell Wilson or being relegated to mostly backup duty because of athletic department politics like Tom Brady).

Just now, SoTier said:

As a successful QB?  Maybe not, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  My point is that all these folks expecting the Bills to hit the NFL lottery by just because they  draft a QB in the first round are more likely to be disappointed than not.  Maybe the Bills would do better, if there's no suitable QB available in the first round, to consider looking for a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round who has a real excuse for not being a first rounder (like being short like Russell Wilson or being relegated to mostly backup duty because of athletic department politics like Tom Brady).

Your original post said 'top QBs' which Tanny is not. Agree that one not making sense in the first doesn't mean you don't keep looking on day 2 tho.

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

They drafted them because they (the Bills) WERE idiots.  As I said, it seems like they drafted both just to please the fans, and each choice was egregious in it's own way.  Losman cost them their 2005 first round pick (plus a 2004 2nd and 5th) which they could have used on Aaron Rodgers, who was available at #18.   Manuel was the best QB in probably the worst QB class in a couple of decades.  That was blatantly just drafting a QB in the first round -- any QB -- just to say they did.  If they gotten their heads out of their butts a year earlier, they could have had Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins but Buddy Nix didn't like QBs who weren't in the preferred physical mold.

EJ wouldn't have been so bad if the Bills tried to get another QB after him.  They let EJ shackle them for 4 years (and counting).  THAT'S the worst thing about the EJ pick.

27 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Eli was benched because the Giants don't want to win games.  He's being benched because he's too good.  Complete opposite.

Since the Giants have been doing an excellent job of losing games with Eli as their QB, why chance wrecking a good thing by inserting a QB who might get lucky and win an extra game or two? 

Since the Giants have been doing an excellent job of losing games with Eli as their QB, why chance wrecking a good thing by inserting a QB who might get lucky and win an extra game or two? 

What?  

Eli was throwing a 2:1 TD:INT ratio.  No chance Geno pulls that off.  They won't win another game with him under center.  Which is exactly what the brass wants.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

EJ wouldn't have been so bad if the Bills tried to get another QB after him.  They let EJ shackle them for 4 years (and counting).  THAT'S the worst thing about the EJ pick.

That's because teams don't go out and dump their first round QBs before the end of their initial contracts unless they are horrendous and obvious busts (ala Ja'Marcus Russell).  They give them four years to prove themselves.  It's why Bortles is Jax's QB despite his poor play.  Moreover, if you draft another QB while you're trying to figure out if your earlier pick is worth keeping, that new kid is wasted sitting on the bench and playing for the scout team for at least a year.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

That's because teams don't go out and dump their first round QBs before the end of their initial contracts unless they are horrendous and obvious busts (ala Ja'Marcus Russell).  They give them four years to prove themselves.  It's why Bortles is Jax's QB despite his poor play.  Moreover, if you draft another QB while you're trying to figure out if your earlier pick is worth keeping, that new kid is wasted sitting on the bench and playing for the scout team for at least a year.

This is what half of the people want for a rookie QB.  Who cares if he rides the pine?

I don't care about not cutting EJ.  But it was clear he was toast after 2014 and it's now 2017 almost 2018 and we still haven't drafted a QB high and that's a HUGE problem.

Edited by jmc12290

I fully believe Eli needs a change of scenery. He didn't forget how to play football....but Jacksonville would make the most sense seems that Saint Doug isn't in love with Bortles. He would be a stop gap until they find a true #1 QB...just like Tyrod is doing for us. Would love Tyrod to be able to teach a new kid how to get out of a bad situation by scrambling, how not to throw interceptions, and handle the media with class. Although hopefully the next QB hopefully likes to sling the ball without fear. Good luck Bills...hope you chose the next great QB in the draft 

Edited by MC Hamburg
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Tyrod never saw live bullets with Kubiak.

And good thing he didn't.  Might've cost him that Superbowl.

Maybe but you don’t find it even the least bit odd that the guy that saw him the most, offered him the most money in free agency? As an example you didn’t see Anthony Lynn banging down the door to sign EJ. It’s the EXACT same scenario. He was in desperate need of a backup and he traded for Cardale. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

What?  

Eli was throwing a 2:1 TD:INT ratio.  No chance Geno pulls that off.  They won't win another game with him under center.  Which is exactly what the brass wants.

Not only can you read Mara and McAdoo's minds, you can foretell the future, too!  :w00t:   Can you share the winning LOTTO numbers please?

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Not only can you read Mara and McAdoo's minds, you can foretell the future, too!  :w00t:   Can you share the winning LOTTO numbers please?

You're actually arguing that Geno Smith would win more games as a QB that Eli Manning.  I didn't even think that was possible.

Reality is truly stranger than fiction.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe but you don’t find it even the least bit odd that the guy that saw him the most offered him the most money in free agency? As an example you didn’t see Anthony Lynn banging down the door to sign EJ. It’s the EXACT same scenario. He was in desperate need of a backup and he traded for Cardale. 

It's telling that the QB's you choose to compare TT to are EeeeeeeeeeJJJJJjjjjj and Cardale.  Young star QB's no doubt.  :rolleyes:

Edited by jmc12290

3 hours ago, section122 said:

Dammit Hokie I wanted to post that lol.  I pulled the numbers the other day and posted them.  They are relevant in this thread as well.

Some fun Eli facts:

Did you know he has a 110-100 record? 
Did you know he has 3 years of 20+ ints?
Did you know he has never completed more than 63.1% of his passes in a season? and a career 59.8%?
Did you know he has only thrown for more than 7 ypa 6 out of 14 years starting?
Did you know he has a career qb rating of 83.8 which is the same as Joe Flacco?
Did you know he has thrown 222 ints in 210 career starts.  More than 1 a game
Did you know he has thrown 334 tds in 210 career starts.  About 1.5 per game.  

So the average Eli game is 241.3 yards a game combined, 1.5 tds and 1 ints.  For comparison Tyrod goes for 238.3 combined, 1.55 tds and .23 ints a game.  Somehow out of these numbers Tyrod is garbage and a backup qb at best and Eli is a HOFer.

There are other intangibles to be considered. 

Heres a good stat.

Game winning drives:

Eli Manning 40 2004-2017

Tied for 8th all time

Tyrod Taylor 5 2011-2017

Tied for 207th with 28 other scrubs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_career.htm

Edited by dlonce

You're actually arguing that Geno Smith would win more games as a QB that Eli Manning.  I didn't even think that was possible.

Reality is truly stranger than fiction.

It's telling that the QB's you choose to compare TT to are EeeeeeeeeeJJJJJjjjjj and Cardale.  Young star QB's no doubt.  :rolleyes:

Maybe I didn’t say it cleary. When Kubiak went to Denver he offered Tyrod Taylor more money than any other team did. He certainly wanted him on his team. He knew him well. Tyrod bet on himself, rightfully so, and benefitted from it.

Lynn in Buffalo was like Kubiak in Baltimore. He got a HC job with a veteran QB but no one behind him. That guy could be done at any moment. He had a former 1st round QB that he worked with, entering free agency, making $800K and still had no interest. I’m not comparing the two players. What I’m saying is that actions show you how people feel about a player. You said (more or less) “Kubiak might not have gotten the Denver job if Tyrod played.” He certainly didn’t feel that way or he wouldn’t have offered him more than any other team. His actions say that he had a lot of confidence in him.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe I didn’t say it cleary. When Kubiak went to Denver he offered Tyrod Taylor more money than any other team did. He certainly wanted him on his team. He knew him well. Tyrod bet on himself, rightfully so, and benefitted from it.

Lynn in Buffalo was like Kubiak in Baltimore. He got a HC job with a veteran QB but no one behind him. That guy could be done at any moment. He had a former 1st round QB that he worked with, entering free agency, making $800K and still had no interest. I’m not comparing the two players. What I’m saying is that actions show you how people feel about a player. You said (more or less) “Kubiak might not have gotten the Denver job if Tyrod played.” He certainly didn’t feel that way or he wouldn’t have offered him more than any other team. His actions say that he had a lot of confidence in him.

Nooooo, Kubiak might not have won a Superbowl in Denver if Tyrod was on that team.  That would've been sad.

Todd Downing was EJ's QB coach and that was the team that signed him.  A vote of confidence, no doubt.  The EJ Rebirth In Vegas, coming in 2018.

Edited by jmc12290

Nooooo, Kubiak might not have won a Superbowl in Denver if Tyrod was on that team.  That would've been sad.

Todd Dowling was EJ's QB coach and that was the team that signed him.  A vote of confidence, no doubt.  The EJ Rebirth In Vegas, coming in 2018.

Touché 

I disagree with the first part though. Tyrod might have kept that job!! Peyton was terrible before he got hurt. Some people thought that Brock should have kept the job. He was largely garbage too. Peyton might be the player that I respect most in my time watching football but he was painful in his last year. 

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

This is what half of the people want for a rookie QB.  Who cares if he rides the pine?

I don't care about not cutting EJ.  But it was clear he was toast after 2014 and it's now 2017 almost 2018 and we still haven't drafted a QB high and that's a HUGE problem.

Hey, don't whine to me that the brilliant Bills chose to let their Pro Bowl DB Gilmore walk in FA and had to draft a DB in order to fill the hole left by that move.  That's been a pattern that the Bills have followed since the salary cap was instituted: they either let the good/great DBs, WRs, RBs that they've developed walk in FA or trade them for not all that much and then use the draft to fill the holes created by the departure of said DBs, WRs & RBS.  Every time I've pointed out that the Bills did that exact same thing in 2017 despite having a "new" regime, including GM and scouts, I've been attacked by certain true believers who claim everything is all fixed now.  Well, it ain't.  The new regime is doing the same :censored: that the old regimes have done.

So, be happy spinning fantasies about the yet unnamed QB the Bills will draft in 2018, maybe even with that first rounder from the Chiefs -- and don't cry in your beer that the Bills could have had Patrick Mahomes or DeShaun Watson instead of Nathan Peterman or that fantastic unnamed QB to be named later.

Hey, don't whine to me that the brilliant Bills chose to let their Pro Bowl DB Gilmore walk in FA and had to draft a DB in order to fill the hole left by that move.  That's been a pattern that the Bills have followed since the salary cap was instituted: they either let the good/great DBs, WRs, RBs that they've developed walk in FA or trade them for not all that much and then use the draft to fill the holes created by the departure of said DBs, WRs & RBS.  Every time I've pointed out that the Bills did that exact same thing in 2017 despite having a "new" regime, including GM and scouts, I've been attacked by certain true believers who claim everything is all fixed now.  Well, it ain't.  The new regime is doing the same :censored: that the old regimes have done.

So, be happy spinning fantasies about the yet unnamed QB the Bills will draft in 2018, maybe even with that first rounder from the Chiefs -- and don't cry in your beer that the Bills could have had Patrick Mahomes or DeShaun Watson instead of Nathan Peterman or that fantastic unnamed QB to be named later.

I was probably the second most vocal poster on this board in favor of drafting Watson.  I was begging for it.  You're preaching to the choir my man.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Touché 

I disagree with the first part though. Tyrod might have kept that job!! Peyton was terrible before he got hurt. Some people thought that Brock should have kept the job. He was largely garbage too. Peyton might be the player that I respect most in my time watching football but he was painful in his last year. 

Yeah he might've.  Hard to say.  I just know the way it worked out, and that was with a ring.  I doubt Kubiak has any regrets about not getting TT on board.

Obviously there's a bit of a difference between Downing and Kubiak and what was offered to EJ and TT.  But I think a lot of it is familiarity, not necessarily ability.  We didn't bring in guys like Kaelin Clay and Tolbert because we knew how secretly good they were (at least I hope not.)  We brought them in because the coaches knew them and were familiar with them.  And you see that across the league constantly.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MC Hamburg said:

I fully believe Eli needs a change of scenery. He didn't forget how to play football....but Jacksonville would make the most sense seems that Saint Doug isn't in love with Bortles. He would be a stop gap until they find a true #1 QB...just like Tyrod is doing for us. Would love Tyrod to be able to teach a new kid how to get out of a bad situation by scrambling, how not to throw interceptions, and handle the media with class. Although hopefully the next QB hopefully likes to sling the ball without fear. Good luck Bills...hope you chose the next great QB in the draft 

Scrambling is a natural instinct. There’s no way you teach someone that.

Not throwing interceptions is an easy one,especially in Tyrod case. You only throw to wide open players,and if your initial read is covered within 5 yards then you don’t throw it and run.

I was probably the second most vocal poster on this board in favor of drafting Watson.  I was begging for it.  You're preaching to the choir my man.

Yeah he might've.  Hard to say.  I just know the way it worked out, and that was with a ring.  I doubt Kubiak has any regrets about not getting TT on board.

Obviously there's a bit of a difference between Downing and Kubiak and what was offered to EJ and TT.  But I think a lot of it is familiarity, not necessarily ability.  We didn't bring in guys like Kaelin Clay and Tolbert because we knew how secretly good they were (at least I hope not.)  We brought them in because the coaches knew them and were familiar with them.  And you see that across the league constantly.  

You make a great point there. We brought in freakin’ TJ Yates!! It really is interesting that you can be awful but if someone is familiar with you, you have a job. These guys clearly love the guys that they had in Carolina. Why is Joe Webb in the NFL? I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see more; Lotulelei is my guess. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You make a great point there. We brought in freakin’ TJ Yates!! It really is interesting that you can be awful but if someone is familiar with you, you have a job. These guys clearly love the guys that they had in Carolina. Why is Joe Webb in the NFL? I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see more; Lotulelei is my guess. 

It's the 21st century dude.  Every team needs a third string QB who plays special teams.

• Haha (+1) 1

Eli has had some very good seasons that Taylor could only dream to have. Not only that but his 2014, 2015 and 2016 season are treading upwards. If Eli has a year like 2015 all we need is a solid defense and we're in the playoffs and can put SB and Bills in the same sentence again. 

Plus Eli seems to be kryptonite to Brady and Belicheat.