Lawson was Benched, was he another first round bust?

Shaq has been disappointing all year now he was benched for who knows what reason (probably performance) we let Ragland go but maybe it was Shaq we should have let go. Our Dline is needs a lot of help in the draft! 

Either way DT isn’t our only need on the D-line.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/27/16705854/shaw-lawson-didnt-start-vs-kansas-city-chiefs-for-unknown-punishment-sean-mcdermott

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Good against the run? They were terrible for three straight games until he was benched!

Most of that damage was right up the gut and not on the edges.  His benching had zero to do with his play on the field. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Good against the run? They were terrible for three straight games until he was benched!

He was benched for disciplinary reasons. McDermott said as much today. He’s been good against the run. Teams have run right up the middle.

With that being said, he has certainly been disappointing as a first round pick. He lacks explosiveness as a pass rusher. Shaq is a plugger. 

6 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Maybe people should wait and see before they jump to conclusions

20 games is jumping to conclusions? This mentality is part of the Buffalo curse of perpetual hopes and dreams. How long? When is it OK to call a guy what he is? A first round pass rusher with 20 games... 5 sacks, 4 TFL, 44 total tackles (solo and partial). Pretty weak. Not saying he's Erik Flowers or Aaron Maybin but he's not exactly living up to the high pick so it's a fair criticism after 20 games.

33 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Incorrect. He's been good against aginst the run. 

Not good enough imo...in a passing league, you need pass rushing capability 

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Most of that damage was right up the gut and not on the edges.  His benching had zero to do with his play on the field. 

Fair enough, but I would be ok if that were the case...the difference in pass rush with Eddie was very noticeable 

Shaq being a "solid run plugging DE" is a huge setback. We almost have to give him at least 2 years before we even think about another DE. We need 2 DTs, all new LBs, some OLmen, a QB, at least 1 more rookie WR, and some young blood in the secondary. 

2 minutes ago, dayman said:

Shaq being a "solid run plugging DE" is a huge setback. We almost have to give him at least 2 years before we even think about another DE. We need 2 DTs, all new LBs, some OLmen, a QB, at least 1 more rookie WR, and some young blood in the secondary. 

Not so sure about having to wait...Shaq was a Whaley pick and not necessarily the type of DE that McD prefers...if there is a pass rusher in the draft that meets value, I don’t think McD would not pick him just because Shaq was drafted two years ago.

56 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Shaq has been disappointing all year now he was benched for who knows what reason (probably performance) we let Ragland go but maybe it was Shaq we should have let go. Our Dline is needs a lot of help in the draft! 

Either way DT isn’t our only need on the D-line.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/27/16705854/shaw-lawson-didnt-start-vs-kansas-city-chiefs-for-unknown-punishment-sean-mcdermott

I disagree with you.  I think he broke some minor team rule that caused him to come off the bench but he played a lot of minutes.  He's been a part of the rotation at defensive end this year and I think he's been pretty darn good.  31 tackles though 10 games this year as a DE, that's pretty good.  He seems to be our best run stopper.  He hasn't gotten the sacks just yet but he's a big reason the team has had a few games of stuffing the run.  He will only improve if the DTs are upgraded next to him in the offseason.  He's developing.  I expect his sack numbers to jump up next year.  Most run stopping DEs take a few years to develop an arsenal of moves to increase their sack numbers.  For me, he's on pace.  He sets a very nice edge in the run game and showed this against the speedy chiefs.  He had 2 solo tackles and 2 assisted tackles, for a defensive lineman that's a good day.  He helped move the pocket in the game causing Alex Smith to move out of the pocket and in some cases take off and run.  He'll get there with the sacks.  We just need some help at DT to provide an interior pass rush which will help out the outside ends.  He's doing just fine.  

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, zonabb said:

20 games is jumping to conclusions? This mentality is part of the Buffalo curse of perpetual hopes and dreams. How long? When is it OK to call a guy what he is? A first round pass rusher with 20 games... 5 sacks, 4 TFL, 44 total tackles (solo and partial). Pretty weak. Not saying he's Erik Flowers or Aaron Maybin but he's not exactly living up to the high pick so it's a fair criticism after 20 games.

To homers, if a young Bills player is performing well, he's an excellent draft pick. But if not, the player needs more time before an evaluation is appropriate. Got it? :lol:

You don't draft a base 4-3 end who isn't a pass rush threat with a top 20 pick. Playing the run well is a small consolation to be drafted that high. There is still a vocal defend Whaley minority out there who can't bear another one of Whaley's pick isn't measuring up. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

To homers, if a young Bills player is performing well, he's an excellent draft pick. But if not, the player needs more time before an evaluation is appropriate. Got it? :lol:

You don't draft a base 4-3 end who isn't a pass rush threat with a top 20 pick. Playing the run well is a small consolation to be drafted that high. There is still a vocal defend Whaley minority out there who can't bear another one of Whaley's pick isn't measuring up. 

Again, this appears to be a very suspect pick by the very polarizing figure known as Doug Whaley.  I know some people love Whaley, but the return for drafting Shaq (especially with a shoulder injury that scared away many teams and dropped his value) has to be considered a huge disappointment.   There's no other way around it.  Like someone else said, you don't spend a first round draft choice on a "run plugging DE."

He is a disappointment as a first round draft pick. He has been overweight since the day he arrived.  He lacks any of the exposiveness he showed at Clemson.  He is a solid but unspectacular player. Taken in the third round he would be a solid pick.  We just want more because of where he was drafted.

1 hour ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

From another article, it sounds like a discipline issue with McBeane.

with the GM??

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Again, this appears to be a very suspect pick by the very polarizing figure known as Doug Whaley.  I know some people love Whaley, but the return for drafting Shaq (especially with a shoulder injury that scared away many teams and dropped his value) has to be considered a huge disappointment.   There's no other way around it.  Like someone else said, you don't spend a first round draft choice on a "run plugging DE."

Jury still out, and I trust Whaley with defensive picks, but I am worried. For all the talk of what a deep defensive line draft 2016 was, I don't really see any edge rushers that have been lighting it up. Actually hear good things about Jaylen Smith in Dallas.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

with the GM??

Jury still out, and I trust Whaley with defensive picks, but I am worried. For all the talk of what a deep defensive line draft 2016 was, I don't really see any edge rushers that have been lighting it up. Actually hear good things about Jaylen Smith in Dallas.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Right which I why I say Whaley is a very polarizing figure.  I tend to think his drafting really left a lot to be desired, and I think risks like Shaq Lawson are one good reason why 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Right which I why I say Whaley is a very polarizing figure.  I tend to think his drafting really left a lot to be desired, and I think risks like Shaq Lawson are one good reason why 

was it really a risk, felt like he was BPA at a position of need no less.

Looking back I like the draft. Ragland looks good, that's a very deep Chiefs front 7 btw. Big fan of Adolphus. Cardale was a dumb pick, that RB probably wasn't any good. I liked Seymore last year. Great value IMO. I don't understand why this new regime dumped so many rookie contracts.

If Shaq can be a serviceable starter, I think Doug Whaley did well.

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Not so sure about having to wait...Shaq was a Whaley pick and not necessarily the type of DE that McD prefers...if there is a pass rusher in the draft that meets value, I don’t think McD would not pick him just because Shaq was drafted two years ago.

At this point I believe Shaq is the only Whaley first rounder left (wood was nix?) and none of his second rounders are left (cordy likewise nix)

right?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yeah I'll call drafting a player that many teams took off of their draft boards in the 1st round a risk.  How has it worked out so far?  

First of all that means nothing, Tunsil slid too. He was the last DE taken in the first round. Him and Joey Bosa. 

ugh Savage just blew the game and gave Ravens the W.

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

First of all that means nothing, Tunsil slid too. He was the last DE taken in the first round. Him and Joey Bosa. 

ugh Savage just blew the game and gave Ravens the W.

There's two different reasons they were taken off.  One was because of a major injury and the other was because of off the field incidents.  Who cares if Shaq was the last DE taken, it was a very bad draft pick and probably one of the reasons why Whaley is out of the NFL.

BTW see what I mean about Whaley being polarizing.  Fans will defend bad draft picks like this to the death.  

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

At this point I believe Shaq is the only Whaley first rounder left (wood was nix?) and none of his second rounders are left (cordy likewise nix)

right?

This doesn't say anything. Whaley had his picks purged by the new regime, he'd obviously still have the guys he wanted. Who cares who's still on the roster, are the players he drafted playing well? Because they got traded for picks right away.

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

This doesn't say anything. Whaley had his picks purged by the new regime, he'd obviously still have the guys he wanted. Who cares who's still on the roster, are the players he drafted playing well? Because they got traded for picks right away.

#WhaleyApologist