Hubris, thy name is McBeane

Dr. K

hu·bris
ˈ(h)yo͞obrəs/
noun

1. excessive pride or self-confidence.
    synonyms: arrogance, conceit, haughtiness, hauteur, pride, self-importance, egotism, pomposity, superciliousness, superiority; 
    informalbig-headedness, cockiness
    "the hubris among economists was shaken"

• (in Greek tragedy) excessive pride toward or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.

Thanks to them what we have here is essentially an expansion team that has been in the league for 57 years, with a lot of older, declining players and a dearth of young talent. 
Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

meh.  lots of bitching today.  i get it, but this is the way most predicted this season to go anyway.  it's about the future, not that there's any guarantee that things will get better.

it's always about the future with Bills and Sabres....unfortunately as fans we care about the present as well

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

it's always about the future with Bills and Sabres....unfortunately as fans we care about the present as well

what did you think the outcome was going to be at the beginning of this year?  not that we don't deserve much more as fans, but we all knew this year, and likely next are going to be stinkers.  i personally can't start to evaluate what this staff until free agency and this draft.  i think we'll have a much better idea then, but after the early year trades, i think most knew to keep their expectations low.  

Did we believe this year would be a bust before or after the Watkins trade?  I did not start seeing so much negative expectation until that deal was made.

If the candy boys (M&M) had taken time to evaluate and WORK with what we have then used the coming off season to fill holes I think they would not be facing the DIStrust of the process they are facing now.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Teef

with all due respect 

please name ONE roster spot that doesn't need a COMPLETE overhaul 

Kicker doesn't count 

oh i agree.  this team is in awful shape, which is why this is going to take time.  as far as the losses this year, dareus is the only one that i think has a significant impact.  watkins, darby, etc were nice, but i understand the trades.  i think, (i should say i hope) that this team is going to look drastically different over the next two years.  at this point, all we can do is wait.  

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Darby, Gilmore, Darius, Watkins, Woods, Gillislee will ALL be in the playoffs this year and many in the Super Bowl. You can't tell me those guys aren't calling their former Bills teammates and laughing out loud!!

Don't forget Goodwin, Ragland, and quite possibly Jonathan Williams if he sticks on the Saints.

It's hubris or just plain inexperience for them to  think that they can hand pick every single guy on the roster and not have to coach players that were here, even if they weren't "you're guys".    On average coaches get 3 to 3.5 years and GMs get 4 to prove they deserve the job, no matter what contract they sign.   You can't completely tear down a roster and build it from scratch and expect the talent to mature and succeed in that time frame. 

These guys should know that no matter how green they are.  Outside of safety and one corner spot I don't see any real committed building blocks on this roster and agree almost every position is in need of an overhaul this offseason.  Hopefully things become clearer down the stretch.

34 minutes ago, Dr. K said:
hu·bris
ˈ(h)yo͞obrəs/
noun

synonyms: arrogance, conceit, haughtiness, hauteur, pride, self-importance, egotism, pomposity, superciliousness, superiority; 

• (in Greek tragedy) excessive pride toward or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.

Thanks to them what we have here is essentially an expansion team that has been in the league for 57 years, with a lot of older, declining players and a dearth of young talent. 

It took a lot of arrogance to come out telling people to "trust the process" when you haven't even been a HC at any level.

One thing to say it in the locker room........another to come out and be saying it to the media and fans every week.

When Saban started doing it he'd already won a national championship.

Trust is earned..........and McD didn't want to earn it he wanted to get rid of anyone who needed convincing.

Going to take some serious personnel magic this offseason just to get this team back near the lukewarm center of the league talent-wise.

Then........do you have the coaches in place to get synergy the way guys like Pederson and McVay have?

Judging on the square peg/round hole job they've done with Tyrod ya' gotta' question that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It took a lot of arrogance to come out telling people to "trust the process" when you haven't even been a HC at any level.

One thing to say it in the locker room........another to come out and be saying it to the media and fans every week.

When Saban started doing it he'd already won a national championship.

Trust is earned..........

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A lot better if they didn't trade Dareus, Watkins,  and stressed continuity from a good offensive system.

Bro.

You are missing the point. It's going to take time because of the decisions THEY MADE. It's self inflicted.

Going to take some serious personnel magic this offseason just to get this team back near the lukewarm center of the league talent-wise.

Then........do you have the coaches in place to get synergy the way guys like Pederson and McVay have?

Judging on the square peg/round hole job they've done with Tyrod ya' gotta' question that.

i don't think they would have been that much better with watkins or dareus at all.  they've both been on this team for years, and since then it's been that standard 7 ish win type season.  guess what, without those guys, it looks like another 7 ish win season again.   you keep mentioning that this is the situation the the staff has put themselves in, and you're correct, but it's for this year.  this isn't a final product, and to evaluate them based on this year isn't right.  i don't know if any of this will work, but this is going to take time.  they have to pick a qb, and follow through with their vision, (whatever that is).

43 minutes ago, teef said:

meh.  lots of bitching today.  i get it, but this is the way most predicted this season to go anyway.  it's about the future, not that there's any guarantee that things will get better.

I dont think anyone suspected a complete slaughter the past 3 weeks.

We all knew it might get bad, but this is beyond horrendous, bro. 

Unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:
hu·bris
ˈ(h)yo͞obrəs/
noun

Relax.  The team is 5-5 after 10 games.  Pretty ugly the last three weeks, but lots of football left to be played this year.  Could be a hell of a lot worse.  Cleveland is 0-10 for the second straight year.  I was expecting some growing pains this year and we're seeing that the past three weeks.  I fully expect this team to play better football down the stretch.

22 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't think they would have been that much better with watkins or dareus at all.  they've both been on this team for years, and since then it's been that standard 7 ish win type season.  guess what, without those guys, it looks like another 7 ish win season again.   you keep mentioning that this is the situation the the staff has put themselves in, and you're correct, but it's for this year.  this isn't a final product, and to evaluate them based on this year isn't right.  i don't know if any of this will work, but this is going to take time.  they have to pick a qb, and follow through with their vision, (whatever that is).

I don't think many Bills fans are able to see the big picture after all these years of futility.   I agree with you 100%.  Patience is a virtue.  First year of a new FO and coaching staff.  Not getting it done the past three weeks, but the season is far from over.

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, teef said:

what did you think the outcome was going to be at the beginning of this year?  not that we don't deserve much more as fans, but we all knew this year, and likely next are going to be stinkers.  i personally can't start to evaluate what this staff until free agency and this draft.  i think we'll have a much better idea then, but after the early year trades, i think most knew to keep their expectations low.  

I know what you're saying but that's not my point. I'm tired of both teams being perennial losers...that's all

31 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I dont think anyone suspected a complete slaughter the past 3 weeks.

We all knew it might get bad, but this is beyond horrendous, bro. 

Unacceptable.

i get it.  the nature of the losses was pretty bad, but whether you lose by a point in a heart breaker or get blown out, fans are still upset, and the loss counts the same.  hopefully it's all about the future, because i literally have nothing else to cling onto.

16 minutes ago, nucci said:

I know what you're saying but that's not my point. I'm tired of both teams being perennial losers...that's all

understood, and you have every right to feel that way.

21 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Pretty damming stuff in the article, especially on the Bills running game and their rushing defense without Dareus.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Darby, Gilmore, Darius, Watkins, Woods, Gillislee will ALL be in the playoffs this year and many in the Super Bowl. You can't tell me those guys aren't calling their former Bills teammates and laughing out loud!!

Only, I've established this earlier. NONE of those guys are the reason their teams will make the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Relax.  The team is 5-5 after 10 games.  Pretty ugly the last three weeks, but lots of football left to be played this year.  Could be a hell of a lot worse.  Cleveland is 0-10 for the second straight year.  I was expecting some growing pains this year and we're seeing that the past three weeks.  I fully expect this team to play better football down the stretch.

I don't think many Bills fans are able to see the big picture after all these years of futility.   I agree with you 100%.  Patience is a virtue.  First year of a new FO and coaching staff.  Not getting it done the past three weeks, but the season is far from over.

Yer mah boy blue

I'm more than a little suspicious of 'the process'. The current showing for it seems to be 'my way, or the highway'. McDermott (or Beane) hasn't earned the right to do that yet, as he's proven nothing.

I can see the rationale behind most of the trades, some of which come down to money decisions. Thing is, they have been shown to be mistakes, on two counts.

Firstly, the Watkins trade, which became almost inevitable when they decided not to pick up his last year option. The injury concerns were not unreasonable, and yet we've had to go out and trade for another receiver, to replace him, in one way or another. And he's now injured.

A similar scenario has played out with Dareus. The middle has been torn out of the D-Line, to the extent that they had to dump a lightweight DT, and bring back a bigger body, just to try and replace what they traded away for next to nothing.

Dareus in the middle, wasn't getting run on, and teams didn't try to go there regularly, meaning that life became easier for the LBers and secondary.

A few years back, towards the end of a season, Dareus missed a game against, I think, the Raiders. The D had been playing really well, yet the Raiders ran all over us. I think that was when Schwartz was DC. Makes you wonder how much relevant film that the coaches watched, before deciding that our run D was going to be just dandy without Dareus.

Seems to me that some of 'the process', needs a good deal of refinement, before it will work, and it also seems as though that 'refinement', is going to have to be done in respect of self criticism, by McDermott and Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, xsoldier54 said:

Third straight*

4 hours ago, xsoldier54 said:

If we aren't in the playoffs I would much rather be 0-10.

It is "possible" the Bills rebound and make the playoffs, but we all know they won't.

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Only, I've established this earlier. NONE of those guys are the reason their teams will make the playoffs.

Do you really think the guys in the Bills Locker Room care that "none of those guys are the reason"?  All they know is that while they are sitting home in January, some of their ex-teammates are going to be on the big stage with confetti coming down all around them.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Do you really think the guys in the Bills Locker Room care that "none of those guys are the reason"?  All they know is that while they are sitting home in January, some of their ex-teammates are going to be on the big stage with confetti coming down all around them.

only Super Bowl winners get the confetti kid.

And i am HIGHLY confident that at most Gilmore/Gilislee will experience this.

Deep breaths man. Perhaps a paper bag.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

First of all I'm not a kid...not even close Joe.  Second, I said SOME of their ex-teammates.  Now you breath!

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Your takes are so epically bad this year.:lol:

Rico has gotten a lot quieter recently..........I think you might end up being the last one buying into what will HOPEFULLY be the final extension of the Ralph Wilson regime.

Get a Czar Pegs........don't keep being like Ralphy.

8 hours ago, Dr. K said:
hu·bris
ˈ(h)yo͞obrəs/
noun

WTF. It only seems like hubris because they won 5 out of 7 games. If they just sucked from the get go as expected, they would be "wisely rebuilding for the future."  Because they tried to shoot for a playoff slot, now they're stupid. Here's a clue. If Tyrod started the Bills still would have been crushed by the Bolts, and the narrative would be McD is too stubborn to go with Peterman.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

WTF. It only seems like hubris because they won 5 out of 7 games. If they just sucked from the get go as expected, they would be "wisely rebuilding for the future."  Because they tried to shoot for a playoff slot, now they're stupid. Here's a clue. If Tyrod started the Bills still would have been crushed by the Bolts, and the narrative would be McD is too stubborn to go with Peterman.

I see the "rebuilding for the future" but I object to the "wisely." I call them hubristic not because of the Peterman/Tyrod melodrama, but because they have drained this roster of young talent in order to get "their guys" and insist on an offensive scheme ill suited to the players on the team. 

31 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I see the "rebuilding for the future" but I object to the "wisely." I call them hubristic not because of the Peterman/Tyrod melodrama, but because they have drained this roster of young talent in order to get "their guys" and insist on an offensive scheme ill suited to the players on the team. 

They did what more than half the people here wanted. Don't act like you're shocked.

First time young head coach syndrome. Josh McDaniels comes to mind. Those guys get fired and then a dull old man comes in. It's the great NFL Cycle of Life.  Loudmouth "Players Coach" (Rex) begets Intense Disciplinarian begets Stable Ol' Retread.  Marvin Lewis will be fired this year, making the timing perfect for his Bills debut in 2019.

1 hour ago, WildBills said:

Beane is a clown. Darby looks great. Seymour is starting for Carolina. Dareus is stuffing the middle in Jacksonville the way he should be here. Can't believe this idiot and his great trades. 

Darby looks great? He’s played in two games!

smh