A measured take on McDermott

14 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I agree with everyth8ng in the OP, except I think the Dareus trade may end up like the Peters trade where he's elite for a decade and we got a 6th that will be cut before next season.

I also realize he did not want to be here and we had no choice, but it still sucks.

Which decade?

Just now, ddaryl said:

Gotta stick with this rebuild for better or for worse, we just can't keep switching every 2 years.. That is getitng old and isn't working. This one needs to play out over the next 5 years.

I'm depressed

Don't be. Here's why: It looks like there's a LEGITIMATE chance this guy could stick around for a while. I hope Pegula doesn't get squirrely.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't understand why they got rid of Woods and Darby.

I assume the Benjamin trade must have been a quick reaction based on inside info from Carolina and a perception that he could be enticed to stick around.

The Dareus situation was a lose-lose, they had to do something sooner or later, and they chose sooner.

All in all, I agree with the OP.

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Don't be. Here's why: It looks like there's a LEGITIMATE chance this guy could stick around for a while. I hope Pegula doesn't get squirrely.

Me too.. can't keep doing this over and over

Edited by ddaryl

13 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

This coach and GM need a minimum 4-5 years.

If we do another 2 year switcheroo, I'll lose my ****.

I agree, there is no way the Pegulas can even contemplate a switch.

But the damage of that Peterman decision has the potential to cast a shadow over everything McD does from here on out. I just can't see how the locker room isn't lost after such a huge mistake by a rookie head coach, especially coming off three straight embarrassments.

I guess we can just sit back and see how this plays out over the next 2 seasons, but personally, what I witnessed yesterday was shocking and very worrisome.

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

Good post with accurate points.

#2 Woods - Another guy it is apparent we were not using correctly and to his potential.  Similar to Hogan.

You'll never use decent WRs to their potential when the franchise has been plagued with bush-league QB play. Until we get a new QB and new OC, it's same ol Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Couldn't agree more with the original poster.  I think it was in the movie "The Replacements" where the cocky QB told Shane Falco, the replacement QB, "the worst that they can do for guys like you is give you hope."  I think that's the worst pretender teams can give to their fans is hope.  

As to trading Darby, after Gilmore left, he said "that will be me in a couple of years"...like he was also going to be seeking a big contract and the Bills likely wouldn't sign him.  So, I think the Bills got something for him now rather than watch another player walk.  

We're lamenting that these players are all becoming "stars" on their new teams.  We're negating that the reason these players are now "stars" is that they are playing on teams that are loaded with stars and talent.  They have joined better teams and are now playing better because others around them are elevating their play.  

I do hope that McDermott doesn't limit his decisions as to who "fits" to just the players.  He has a couple of coaches that aren't good fits (offense in particular) that need to be replaced.  We'll have to wait and see on that one.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Lots of hair on fire posting about McDermott around here today, so I figured I'd add some balance.

Let's start with the personnel moves, good and bad and see if we can dispel the myth that people let go or traded away are going to the playoffs BECAUSE of said people:

1) Watkins: 24 rec, 408 yards, 4 TD on an expiring contract. This move, while universally hated by a certain group of posters is proving to be a good one in my opinion. The guy would have wanted Julio Jones money, while proving to be completely not worth such money.

2) Woods: 47 rec, 703 yards, 4 TD. Unlike watkins, woods is ACTUALLY contributing to his team's success. Letting this guy go was in my opinion a questionable move.  He's a complete player and seems like the kind of guy that McDermott would want. Heart, and football intelligence.

3) Gilmore: 27 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT. Letting this clown go was a good idea. He's hardly contributing to his team's success.

4) Darby: 2 games played, 9 tackles 1 INT. Not really a key contributor for the Eagles, getting something for him was a good move.

5) Dareus: This one seems to really get peoples' panties twisted. Too early to say what the impact is. IF they're able to pick up star latouleleleleleile or whatever his name is, I don't think this will have a long-term negative impact on the team.

6) Gillislee: AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Now for incoming guys:

1) Benjamin: this one's a headscratcher for me. If the goal is a teardown to the studs, this move makes no sense.

2) Matthews: Honestly think this was just a throwaway, trading for a pick and an expiring contact for a guy in darby who, as noted above, really hasn't done squat this year.

3) Gaines: I like the guy, but he's brittle.

4) Poyer: resounding success.

5) Hyde: see poyer.

In all, the personnel moves, while controversial, seem to be a net positive. That being said, I think this team lost its sense of direction by winning some flukey games early. What this team needed was a complete insurance arson job, and to gain one of or THE best QB in the draft. I think these guys in charge need time to see what they can do, and I think it's utterly irresponsible to be calling for their heads in YEAR ONE.

Agree with pretty much everything, the one I disagree with and that I think that has the most dramatic affect is the Dareus move. This defense has regressed dramatically over the past few weeks. Teams are exposing them. Commit to the run and you can move up and down the field. In a year where a path to the play-offs was in clear view, losing his presence in the middle of the d-line has hurt, hurt badly.

This post seems to be more about personnel moves than actual coaching.  While I realize McD had a hand in determining which moves were made, ultimately you should be talking about Beane and not McDermott.  After all, if the moves completely doomed us, it would be Beane on the chopping block, not McD.

But while we are talking about McDermott, you have to worry about him going forward.  Is he able to appropriately assess players?  From putting Peterman in to repeatedly using Mike Tolbert in a position he can't play (and cutting J Will in the process).  You have to worry about his ability to evaluate talent.  If he is making the final decision come draft time, there is a realistic chance that we could screw up this draft. 

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

1) Watkins: 24 rec, 408 yards, 4 TD on an expiring contract. This move, while universally hated by a certain group of posters is proving to be a good one in my opinion. The guy would have wanted Julio Jones money, while proving to be completely not worth such money.

2) Woods: 47 rec, 703 yards, 4 TD. Unlike watkins, woods is ACTUALLY contributing to his team's success. Letting this guy go was in my opinion a questionable move.  He's a complete player and seems like the kind of guy that McDermott would want. Heart, and football intelligence.

It is a safe best that if both players were still on the Bills the numbers that each has with the Rams would be flipped.  That is always how it was when they both were healthy and played with us. McVay and Goff are just running a different offense than we have the last few years.So would you be singing the same tune if it were Watkins who had 700 yards and 4TDs with us? Now that's only a pace of like 1120 yards I believe so it's not monster numbers. But it's decent numbers and what he averages with us when he is healthy. You are right though, it does come down to price. Of course we could have always just accepted his 5th year option and have a good receiver at not such an outrageous price for one more year.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

McDermott proves Bills fans have no patience for a long rebuild, much less allowing a rookie QB time to develop. 

Shameful, that is.

3 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

You have to worry about his ability to evaluate talent.  If he is making the final decision come draft time, there is a realistic chance that we could screw up this draft. 

That's a completely baseless and unfounded assessment. Pretty much every personnel decision they've made have been solid. The ones in doubt are Dareus and Tolbert.

• Like (+1) 1