Who's been most screwed by the Bills? Of All Time.

LA Grant

Who do you think received the most raw deal in their time with the Bills? I know some of you are very much company men who will always side with the team over the player, but otherwise I think you can agree, just like any business, some employees just come into a bad situation and get screwed over. Here are my candidates for who had it worst.

Tyrod Taylor  I'm sure some of you see it differently, I definitely think Tyrod got kind of screwed over with the Bills. He earned the starting job in a TC competition where he wasn't the organization's preferred guy. He has a winning record as a starter, despite a new OC every season, and zero consistency in receiving targets. Not saying he didn't struggle at times. Saints game was a disaster and it wasn't his first really terrible performance. At the same time, he did show a consistent ability to not turn the ball over, and a less consistent but still present playmaking ability. We'll see what happens but my feeling with Tyrod is if he was in a RPO offense with a good speedy deep-threat (ie, a healthy Watkins), he could be elite. 

Doug Flutie Similar situation to Tyrod in the sense that he won the starting job but nobody was really rooting for him to do so. It would have been much easier on the organization if Rob Johnson had stayed healthy and played well, but just like with EJ, the backup outplayed him. Benching him versus the Titans was the wrong move, but it's not indefensible -- even at the time people were calling for it. Bills Daily keeps all of their archives up back to that season -- you can literally go read their take of the last regular season game when Johnson had one of his best career games against the Colts, and even they were saying RJ should start in the playoffs, because Flutie had struggled throughout the year and it looked like defenses had figured him out. The "magic" was gone, and the team was winning ugly games with defense and running the ball. The way everything happened with the controversy in 2000, and then Wade's firing was the beginning of the long night we've been in for 17 years. 

Doug Whaley Never got to pick a head coach, or even have a consistent coach for more than 2 years. Not to mention you were GM for Ralph, then after his passing and through the sale to the Pegulas, so he also didn't have consistency there, either. It's not that his draft moves didn't have vision, I don't agree with that take on Whaley, e could see the type of team he was envisioning, his problem was more that he seemed to draft with desperation every year. He also was way too loose with the checkbook in free agency. Those things are understandable, though, considering what he was dealing with, that he'd try to "win now" as much as possible and end the drought and finally establish stability. Would we have been better off this year if Whaley stayed and picked a different coach? Who can say. But our roster would certainly look very different right now.

Wade Phillips I think Wade might be my pick because he was fired despite never posting a losing season. His worst season was 8-8. His firing wasn't unexpected, though; he handled the QB situation in 2000 horribly, plus his really dumb comments about being out of contention in the primetime game against the Colts, when we had the same record as them but they did end up going to the playoffs. And Ronnie Jones, i think was his name, the ST coach -- our special teams were really horrible. But, I think our problems were not so drastic that we needed to fire Wade and clean house. If Ralph and Wade had found a solution to keep him, the Bills would have been much better building and rebuilding their roster. 

EJ Manuel First round draft pick. Starts week one of his rookie season. Plays well throughout his rookie year, despite being, you know, a rookie. And not a consensus kind of rookie QB, either. EJ was never going to be Deshaun Watson. He was slated as a 4th round guy and the Bills reached and put too much pressure on a dude that even Florida fans knew, and were saying, EJ was inaccurate and slow to read the field. But his development was totally wrecked when Marrone benched him for Orton and we never really had the chance to see what EJ could have done with more time getting to play with Sammy Watkins. He did have a shot at the job in Rex's first TC, so I while I think the Bills definitely mismanaged EJ, he still had his fair amount of chances and they were right to let him go.

Other Candidates You could make a case for Bill Polian, John Butler, Ted Cottrell, and the way the team cut Thurman/Andre/Bruce. 

The Fans This one gets my vote. What a ridiculous thing it is to follow this team and root for their success. Stay Billsy, Buffalo.

Edited by LA Grant
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Who do you think received the most raw deal in their time with the Bills? I know some of you are very much company men who will always side with the team over the player, but otherwise I think you can agree, just like any business, some employees just come into a bad situation and get screwed over. Here are my candidates for who had it worst.

Tyrod Taylor  I'm sure some of you see it differently, I definitely think Tyrod got kind of screwed over with the Bills. He earned the starting job in a TC competition where he wasn't the organization's preferred guy. He has a winning record as a starter, despite a new OC every season, and zero consistency in receiving targets. Not saying he didn't struggle at times. Saints game was a disaster and it wasn't his first really terrible performance. At the same time, he did show a consistent ability to not turn the ball over, and a less consistent but still present playmaking ability. We'll see what happens but my feeling with Tyrod is if he was in a RPO offense with a good speedy deep-threat (ie, a healthy Watkins), he could be elite. 

Taylor was handpicked by Ryan to be QB here. He was a backup that nobody had ever heard of before that. The Bills, probably in large part due to Ryan, paid Taylor many millions of dollars when no other team would have. I hardly call that a raw deal.

And 'could be elite'? No. 

Even against LAC, Peterman will be replaced by TT at half.

Most likely injury because the OL sux - or the 2 pick 6's he throws "anticipating'' open receivers - whatever one thinks that means -and is a good thing.

This whole thing is silly.

• Like (+1) 1

Flutie was a first class prick.

I was going to post this in a separate thread, but I did not want to draw the ire of the thread Nazis. 

When the Flutopians were running rampant many years ago, I posted on this board that many of the Buffalo Bills players hated Flutie - particularly players who were the faces of the franchise.  I had an inside source at the time, which I still cannot reveal.

Nevertheless, in case there is any doubt, here is Thurman Thomas himself speaking about Doug Flutie on Wednesday's John Murphy show.  He makes several mentions of what he thinks of Doug Flutie at various times during the linked audio:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/11-15-thurman-thomas-john-murphy-show-0

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Flutie was a first class prick.

I was going to post this in a separate thread, but I did not want to draw the ire of the thread Nazis. 

When the Flutopians were running rampant many years ago, I posted on this board that many of the Buffalo Bills players hated Flutie - particularly players who were the faces of the franchise.  I had an inside source at the time, which I still cannot reveal.

Nevertheless, in case there is any doubt, here is Thurman Thomas himself speaking about Doug Flutie on Wednesday's John Murphy show.  He makes several mentions of what he thinks of Doug Flutie at various times during the linked audio:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/11-15-thurman-thomas-john-murphy-show-0

I think you watch too much Scandal.

Maybe he was B613.

Tyrod could be "elite"? Puh-leeze! Good grief. With the money and the chances they gave him he has been treated fairly. I totally understand why Tyrod would feel frustrated and angry. It's how nearly any player would feel. But he simply hasn't played well enough. He's handling this like a pro, like the good guy that he is. But if he'd played better, this move never would have happened.

I understand why he doesn't have a lot of total yards, but his YPA was 6.6. I mean that's awful, it's 30th in the league.  Teams know Tyrod now and how to shut him down. It's not surprising they had to make a change.

Will putting in Peterman make the Bills better? Won't teams figure him out too and learn how to shut him down? Maybe. Hard to say, but I totally understand this move. They aren't getting it done. Changes are necessary. We may see more as things move along.

As for being screwed ... Fred Jackson, maybe, but I'd say Travis Henry. Remember when he kept playing on a broken leg? The guy was tough and good, and put it all on the line for the team, and they drafted Willis McGahee. 

Henry turned out to be an idiot, trafficking cocaine and burying himself in child support payments, but the Bills treated him badly and McGahee IMHO wasn't any better. Waste of a draft pick.

Edited by Thurman#1

Wade, Joe Cribbs and Flutie are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.   

Including Taylor and EJ on this list is laughable.  How many starts are you supposed to give guys who have shown time and time again they aren't going to get any better?

56 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

my feeling with Tyrod is if he was in a RPO offense with a good speedy deep-threat (ie, a healthy Watkins), he could be elite

I don't even know how respond to statements as divorced from reality as this one.   :blink:

No one got screwed.  Winners find a way to win. They controlled their fate. They got paid millions and got to play in the NFL. 

None of them (TT TBD) went on to win anything anywhere else. 

We have to stop making excuses.  Other teams do more with less sometimes.  

Man up