Peterman: “What separates College QBs from NFL QBs is anticipation”

YoloinOhio

That was a big part of Monday's discussion by the WGR guys.  They highlighted that the ball left Peterman's hand a full two steps before Matthews made his break.  I don't think I've ever seen TT throw that early.  In fact, on several plays in the beginning of the season some of the incompletes came with the ball delivered after the WR broke and that allowed the DB to close in for the hit. 

Edited by GG

6 minutes ago, GG said:

That was a big part of Monday's discussion by the WGR guys.  They highlighted that the ball left Peterman's hand a full two steps before Matthews made his break.  I don't think I've ever seen TT throw that early.  In fact, on several plays in the beginning of the season some of the incompletes came with the ball delivered after the WR broke and that allowed the DB to close in for the hit. 

Yeah, he is likely to make a couple really good throws like that. He's got a lot of talent. My worry is he makes just as many poor ones as good ones which come back the other way... OR... that the Chargers rush is good and their DBs just jump out and slant routes knowing he is not going to be able to have time to go through progressions. He should make some very nice throws though.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He just dropped that quote in his press conference. Said he learned that from a former college coach who is now in the NFL. 

That is is one thing the analysts have said TT lacks. Interesting that he laid that out there.

For a little while I thought TT had made some progress with this. He's definitely done this, but not consistently enough. And I'm a huge TT fan, but he simply refuses to throw the ball to a WR or anyone who isn't wide open. That's not how the NFL works. We have talented WR's. These guys can make plays on the ball. TT should have watched Benjamin's highlights and then just chucked it up and high to him and watch as he came down with the ball most times. TT had his shot. Too scared to throw picks. Sucks. Same thing happened to EJ.

9 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNN on Tyrod

Yeah, that was harsh to say that on your first conference as the starter! Not very bright IMO. He better light it up on Sunday. And well, we all wish he'll do that! But even his teammates will resent a statement like that from a rookie.

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

Yeah, that was harsh to say that on your first conference as the starter! Not very bright IMO. He better light it up on Sunday. And well, we all wish he'll do that! But even his teammates will resent a statement like that from a rookie.

Saying something that is completely obvious to every NFL fan is harsh??  He wasn't saying Tayor didn't do those things, just a statement of fact from a former coach of his...

If anything it was a SMART thing to say since every Bills fan has been repeating the same exact things on TBD all season.  In fact, maybe he got his speaking points from here! :D

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He just dropped that quote in his press conference. Said he learned that from a former college coach who is now in the NFL. 

That is is one thing the analysts have said TT lacks. Interesting that he laid that out there.

Well its an accurate statement and I am sure any NFL coach will affirm the same.  And its also accurate to say that its by far the weakest part of TT's game.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Well its an accurate statement and I am sure any NFL coach will affirm the same.  And its also accurate to say that its by far the weakest part of TT's game.

I agree, and most people do. It's just not wise for HIM to say it publicly in his first conference as a starter, without having proven anything yet. Vets won't like any rookie doing that

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

I agree, and most people do. It's just not wise for HIM to say it publicly in his first conference as a starter, without having proven anything yet. Vets won't like any rookie doing that

Imo he didnt even think about Taylor when he said it, just that he needs to have it and it’s something he’s worked on his whole career. WE thought of Taylor but he may have just been focusing on himself. 

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And it is the God's honest truth :thumbsup: Hopefully this guy exhibits that on the field for the rest of the season. This is one of my problems I have talked about with Taylor time and time again on numerous occasions.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From what we’ve seen of your personality I agree but the first thing I thought of was this:

The most amazing part of that article is all the people and players that are no longer with the Bills!  Let me answer his questions:

1.  No, Roman won't do anything with our weapons (see:  his firing)

2.  No, TT is not Wilson

3.  No, TT won't learn that anticipation

4.  Yes, finally, yes to Incognito!

5.  No, Karlos and Bush won't help

6.  No, they're not the best DB tandem in the league

7.  No, our safeties won't be good

8.  No, Ragland won't help us, EVER

9.  No, Dareus won't penetrate more

10.  Maybe O linemen should worry about  Hughes, sometimes.

:lol:

26 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, he is likely to make a couple really good throws like that. He's got a lot of talent. My worry is he makes just as many poor ones as good ones which come back the other way... OR... that the Chargers rush is good and their DBs just jump out and slant routes knowing he is not going to be able to have time to go through progressions. He should make some very nice throws though.

better to make the throws and even the poor ones instead of either not throwing and taking the sack or worrying about the int. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I don't know if I would go that far, I definitely don't see it as a negative.  Look, the kid is the starter now, people want to know how prepared he is and find something to be confident about a kid who is starting his first game as an unheralded 5th round pick on a 5-4 team that wants to believe it can still make the playoffs.  

All he did is share what one of the most important things instilled in him as a QB and what he see's that HE needs to do in order to be a pro QB.  And that is a universal truth...being able to throw with anticipation.  To me I think it shows that he has a clear understanding of what he needs to do out there in order for this team to compete.  

As the starter, a rookie starter on top of that...he needs to take a leadership role and start talking like an NFL QB so the players on the field going to battle with him each week can start to rally around him.  Sugar coating things or avoiding to say thing because it happened to be a previous weak spot on the QB he replaced is not in his best interest.  Its not like he said anything about TT or even indirectly threw him under the bus.  All he did was share what he is focused on and what was taught to him.  It would be different if he came out and directly pointed fingers at TT, which he did not.  

54 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I have a tough time believing that the locker room perceives his comments the same way that we/you do. Our perspective on the team's mentality is so limited, we're merely speculating most of the time. I suppose that's the point of a message board.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree. NP doesn't put a ton of spin on it and that lack of zip on those long outs is catnip to cornerbacks looking to jump a route. 

56 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I guarantee you Matthews, Benjamin, Clay, Zay and Thompson aren't complaining.

1 hour ago, GG said:

He did it on that throw to Kelvin Benjamin, too. 

Ive said it already, but when you watch the breakdown of Peterman's performance on Sunday it's actually pretty impressive. Numerous anticipatory throws, reading the defense and finding the hole in coverage and delivering the ball there. 

6 minutes ago, Dorkington said:

I'm predicting a Ryan Fitzpatrick type performance. He'll gun it in there, but he'll miss a few risks, which will turn into interceptions. Not because I think that's his ceiling, but rather it'll be growing pains as a rookie. 

agreed

Open the game with all deep passes even if it takes 2 series 

open the run lanes 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

He did it on that throw to Kelvin Benjamin, too. 

Ive said it already, but when you watch the breakdown of Peterman's performance on Sunday it's actually pretty impressive. Numerous anticipatory throws, reading the defense and finding the hole in coverage and delivering the ball there. 

Yeah, there are 2 very distinct things to take away from Peterman, one on both sides of the coin actually:

1.  Do not over value mop up duty against soft D and backups.

2.  Do not undervalue his ability, and most importantly, confidence to make a quick read and throw.  

Its pretty obvious, that mop up time is not an effective way to evaluate a QB and you can not over react to quick success during that time.  The team has no tape or gameplan for that QB, most or all starters are off the field, there is no chance at a comeback so they just play a soft D not caring if they really score, more interested in eating clock to end the game and avoid any costly injuries. 

However, what you do get to take away was seeing this kid have the confidence to drop and fire.  With a struggling OL, the best recipe is getting the ball out quick.  And while TT can make some insane plays with his legs to keep plays alive, a more effective way to beat the pressure will be quick fire passing and that is indisputably TT's weakest part of his game.  Seeing a young kid do it both in preseason and in the mop up time is relevant and consistent with what we need.  The question remains if he can do it against starters, something he has never faced.  

My biggest concern about Peterman (and I do like the kid overall) is what a common issue with young QB's...is he going to stare down his receivers too much which will lead to costly mistakes.  But overall, I am excited to hopefully see the ball come out quicker and more decisively to a healthy Clay, and new weapon in KB, and to Jordan and Zay the rest of the year.

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree. NP doesn't put a ton of spin on it and that lack of zip on those long outs is catnip to cornerbacks looking to jump a route. 

Exactly. That's my only real worry about him. There are a lot of plays that enters into. He really hasn't even played one play yet at real NFL speed. None of preseason is. No practices are. Last week mop up wasn't. This is going to be completely new and hopefully he has enough oomph. If I had to bet it doesn't look that way to me. But I don't have to bet. Ha. It's possible for sure that he has just enough. I have yet to see it though. Maybe we will Sunday and the worry will lessen to a degree. To me, he's somewhere between Kirk Cousins and Kellen Moore. If he's Kirk Cousins or close to it he can be a good QB. If he's closer to Kellen Moore he has little chance. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Exactly. That's my only real worry about him. There are a lot of plays that enters into. He really hasn't even played one play yet at real NFL speed. None of preseason is. No practices are. Last week mop up wasn't. This is going to be completely new and hopefully he has enough oomph. If I had to bet it doesn't look that way to me. But I don't have to bet. Ha. It's possible for sure that he has just enough. I have yet to see it though. Maybe we will Sunday and the worry will lessen to a degree. To me, he's somewhere between Kirk Cousins and Kellen Moore. If he's Kirk Cousins or close to it he can be a good QB. If he's closer to Kellen Moore he has little chance. [/]

If he is in between the qbs you mentioned then he would be a good backup. A Frank Reich type of qb. That would be good value from where he was picked. 

It's really important to find out what Peterman is capable of by the time the season is concluded. I still strongly believe that this franchise should use a high pick on qb in this next draft. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Exactly. That's my only real worry about him. There are a lot of plays that enters into. He really hasn't even played one play yet at real NFL speed. None of preseason is. No practices are. Last week mop up wasn't. This is going to be completely new and hopefully he has enough oomph. If I had to bet it doesn't look that way to me. But I don't have to bet. Ha. It's possible for sure that he has just enough. I have yet to see it though. Maybe we will Sunday and the worry will lessen to a degree. To me, he's somewhere between Kirk Cousins and Kellen Moore. If he's Kirk Cousins or close to it he can be a good QB. If he's closer to Kellen Moore he has little chance. 

I don't think last week was mop up duty, though. At least in terms of how the Saints approached things when he came in. They weren't in a prevent defense, rushed at least 4 on every play and sent 6 on a couple others. And those DBs would have love to pad their stats I imagine.  

I think your comparisons to being between Cousins and Moore is pretty close with what little we have to go on. But when I watch that Clemson tape and the ease with which he carved them up, I can see why he was considered the most pro ready QB in the draft and why they liked him at the Senior Bowl so much. He outplayed Watson, imo. And on the road, too. 

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Why would his teammates resent him for talking about some advice a college coach once gave him?  Sounds a little dramatic to me.

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If he is in between the qbs you mentioned then he would be a good backup. A Frank Reich type of qb. That would be good value from where he was picked. 

It's really important to find out what Peterman is capable of by the time the season is concluded. I still strongly believe that this franchise should use a high pick on qb in this next draft. 

Yep. We need to now for sure imo. And disagree completely on the two guys. Cousins is pretty good. Moore had no chance, never did and never was any good because of his arm. He can look awesome in practice and preseason but cannot do it in real games. If Moore had Cousins arm, which isn’t strong, he would be as good as Cousins. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

/Yep. We need to now for sure imo. And disagree completely on the two guys. Cousins is pretty good. Moore had no chance, never did and never was any good because of his arm. He can look awesome in practice and preseason but cannot do it in real games. If Moore had Cousins arm, which isn’t strong, he would be as good as Cousins. 

I get an opportunity to see Cousins a lot in the DC/Md area. Cousins is not elite but he is good. He would be a good fit for what our staff prefers from an offensive scheme. Would I pay what he is asking for? Not sure I would. As I have repeatedly stated my preference is to use a high pick on a qb in this upcoming draft. 

Just a note for clarification: I said Peterman might be in the middle of the Cousins/Moore spectrum, probably closer to Moore because of arm strength issues. No matter what I'm interested in seeing how he does.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I think you're reading way too much into it. He's simply stating that anticipation is important in the NFL. 

I don't think he was intentionally throwing Tyrod under the bus, nor will Tyrod likely take it that way, but just about every Bills fan there is has figured out that was one of the main things Tyrod couldn't do very well.

1 hour ago, Dorkington said:

I'm predicting a Ryan Fitzpatrick type performance. He'll gun it in there, but he'll miss a few risks, which will turn into interceptions. Not because I think that's his ceiling, but rather it'll be growing pains as a rookie. 

Interesting comparison between Fitz and Tyrod. Fitz's career QB rating is 79.7. His average yards per game passing is about 203. TT's career QB rating is 92. His average yards per game is 152. Which of the 2 would you rather have?