How the QB change will impact the running game

YoloinOhio

I agree Royale. Coming into this year o didn’t care if they stayed the #1 rushing team. I wanted them to become a balanced offense because that’s how you win games. You have to be able to throw the ball too. They were incredibly unbalanced last year - 1st in rushing and last in passing. That is why they looked good in the stats but couldn’t win games late at clutch time like Seattle. We had to make the throws to win and we couldn’t do it.  The problem is now they can’t run OR pass. They may be able to pass to set up the run.

Getting the ball out quickly negates the rush.

If NP only throws short, I don’t think that helps the run.

If he can have some success in the intermediate area 10-25 then they have to back off. Which comes back to the O  line and how much it is to blame and how much TT was.

They might just have the desire to hold their blocks if it is leading to success.

Just now, Bob in STL said:

Every opponents game plan is to stop McCoy.  Just as you saw the past two weeks, the defense will stack the line and dare Peterman to beat them. 

If he does they will back of and we will be able to run. 

Even if he doesn't beat them on every play in the passing game, hopefully just the THREAT of a downfield passing game will help the running game...

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A better passing attack would help the run game since there will be less men in the box. McCoy had a monster year with Nick Foles, he runs like Frankenstein.

that said, teams are going to load up the box until NP proves he can beat them down field.  

This is 100% correct. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Will it help or hurt? I would think it would hurt but its been so bad anyway even with TT...

Bucky assumes teams haven't stacked the box the last two weeks anyway seeing TT as only a running threat. And even with that threat teams are able to make TT a non-issue. Better passing game/threat of passing attack opens the run game far more, just as the run opens up play action.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A better passing attack would help the run game since there will be less men in the box. McCoy had a monster year with Nick Foles, he runs like Frankenstein.

that said, teams are going to load up the box until NP proves he can beat them down field.  

Agreed - NP is still as green as a rookie QB can be at this point in their first season. Therefore, the Chargers will still focus on pressuring him in multiple looks most every down to see what happens. They don't exactly need to give up much to achieve that either with Bosa and Ingram. If NP can't handle the pressure, especially with our OL, we're not likely to see much of an offensive change. 

I don't see a huge impact to the traditional run game.  Dennison wasn't using the zone read to hold opposing front-7's much anyway, so the only real difference will be the removal of Taylor's ability to turn broken plays into big-gainers.  With Peterman, you're more likely to see run-for-a-first-down-and-slide type plays instead.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

In theory should help 

I would disagree.  They are going to load the box and tempt a rookie to try and beat them, which will also make NP job harder if there is a poor run game to help him move the chains.  A rookie who completed just 50% of his passes in preseason against scrubs isnt going to instill fear in defense downfield to the point it opens the run game up.

Its going to take success by NP in the passing game before they start to respect it, and the flip side of that is, without an effective run game its asking a lot of a 5th round rookie to somehow consistently push the ball down field in his first start.  

Im excited to see what he can do, but its going to take some early success before it potentially helps the run game.  So I think the rung game will likely get worse before it gets better in that respect.  

We have some pretty good 6'2+ WR's and TE, you have to really suck to not be able to get them the rock. Any young QB would be salivating to have this receiving core, Ntm he look like he developed a connection with Zay. This can get very interesting in a few more days.

23 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would disagree.  They are going to load the box and tempt a rookie to try and beat them, which will also make NP job harder if there is a poor run game to help him move the chains.  A rookie who completed just 50% of his passes in preseason against scrubs isnt going to instill fear in defense downfield to the point it opens the run game up.

Its going to take success by NP in the passing game before they start to respect it, and the flip side of that is, without an effective run game its asking a lot of a 5th round rookie to somehow consistently push the ball down field in his first start.  

Im excited to see what he can do, but its going to take some early success before it potentially helps the run game.  So I think the rung game will likely get worse before it gets better in that respect.  

That's exactly what they've been doing already.