Boldest move since benching Flutie

row_33

Benching Flutie wasn't bold, it was stupid.  Wade finally admitted it was Ralph's idea.  Wade disagreed, but he didn't have the balls to tell Ralph where to go and how fast to get there.  This was all McD, and made after many games of real action.  Tyrod's had 4 bad games out of 9.  If you're going to give Peterman a shot, do it now against a weak Bolts team in a neutral site, instead of against the best team in the AFC at Death Valley Arrowhead.  This is a bold move, but I'd say it's the boldest move since Maroon gave up on EJ, who at the time, was playing better than both Flutie and Tyrod.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Hmmmmm, is there a co-relation between worshiping Doug Flutie and demanding that Tyrod stay in ?

Doctor?

the announcement today and Flutie's benching caused me to stop still and my eyes went real wide and i was shocked, has happened maybe 5 times in 40 years over sports

then i started smiling over the pure justice of it all

There may be an even stronger correlation or "co-ralationamaship" as you so eloquently put, between Petermania and Rob Johnson fans.

How the f@#$ are there real RJ fans in 2017?!?!?!

35 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

There may be an even stronger correlation or "co-ralationamaship" as you so eloquently put, between Petermania and Rob Johnson fans.

How the f@#$ are there real RJ fans in 2017?!?!?!

Well you have Joe in NJ, so self-explanatory.  Buffalo Boy who appears to be a grown man that likes to be called boy, being an RJ fan does not seem like that big of a stretch from there. Then you have RJ who feels it is necessary to alert you to the fact that its not that RJ, then proceeds to carry that RJ's jock.

Just another day on BBMB2

2 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Facts? In that game, Flutie threw an INT from inside the red zone (he did that a lot), and he was strip-sacked to end the game because he HELD ONTO THE BALL TOO LONG!

You're not really going to argue that Flutie didn't have a good game despite a couple of mistakes, right? Are you also going to argue that Johnson was good against TN?

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Because Rob Johnson's performance vs. the Titans was so good?  People forget he was embarrassingly bad that game.

They started the year in tank mode, then made a trade to shore the offense and now in a must win game bench their qb based on one drive in garbage time.

This coaching staff & management is a joke.....

He wasn't bad at all, he was adequate, i remember that game well...one play i remember is RJ getting hit

so hard it knocked him right out of his shoe. I still think fluties escapability would have been enough to have a bigger

cushion to avoid that fiasco at the end. Teams had figured out flutie by then, and the Titans had a ferocious pass rush defense

that year, so who knows.

Edited by Albwan

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You're not really going to argue that Flutie didn't have a good game despite a couple of mistakes, right? Are you also going to argue that Johnson was good against TN?

He put up points and 340 yards passing and was going for the game winning td.

Johnson was putrid that day.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

No, but I will argue that the game was a microcosm of Flutie's Buffalo career—some really good, some bad, and in the end his shortcomings kept him from getting across the finish line. His play in 1999 was becoming a real problem in the second half of the season. Still may not have justified his benching, but anyone who was following the Bills back then (which I know you were) has to remember the concerns about declining offensive production. The game in NY against the Jets in November was a particular low point.

Johnson played very poorly in TN, then led a late drive for the points that gave them the lead. Which is what Flutie did a lot of in 1999 too (see the game against Baltimore, for example). It's ironic.

Two very flawed QBs. I could not care less about either of them as people... I just root for the laundry.

And for the benefit of the snarky commenter elsewhere: I'm not carrying anyone's jock, and have had this nickname on TBD for going on 20 years now. I'm funny that way.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

RG3 got hurt and they put him back out there when he was clearly unable to play, disgusting

Kap just suddenly snapped, mostly in his head, and wasn't able to play at his best anymore, you could probably pinpoint the exact second it happened like when Lisa broke Ralph's heart

The Flutie move BURNED exactly the right people that I was hoping it would. Quite enjoyable and it still isn't over with based on responses here...  :D

I will go to my grave thinking we at least go to SB in 1999 if Flutie starts that game. You (nor anyone else) will convince me otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

These guys have been pure bold! They do what they think is best in the long term. Sammy, Dareus, Darby, now the QB swap. Hats off to the owners who pick football guys and let them do their thing! Let them sink or swim, but get out of the stinkin’ way! 

1 hour ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

No, but I will argue that the game was a microcosm of Flutie's Buffalo career—some really good, some bad, and in the end his shortcomings kept him from getting across the finish line. His play in 1999 was becoming a real problem in the second half of the season. Still may not have justified his benching, but anyone who was following the Bills back then (which I know you were) has to remember the concerns about declining offensive production. The game in NY against the Jets in November was a particular low point.

Johnson played very poorly in TN, then led a late drive for the points that gave them the lead. Which is what Flutie did a lot of in 1999 too (see the game against Baltimore, for example). It's ironic.

Two very flawed QBs. I could not care less about either of them as people... I just root for the laundry.

And for the benefit of the snarky commenter elsewhere: I'm not carrying anyone's jock, and have had this nickname on TBD for going on 20 years now. I'm funny that way.

Your post is spot on. Flutie's arm strength started to go in the 2nd half of the season and the offense sputtered as a result. Much like Tyrod , opposing teams figured Flutie out. He still had the escapability and was a much better throwing on the run than TT  but the initial Flutie Magic had gone.  RJ on the other hand had done nothing to deserve winning the start in TN. The game played out predictably in the first half, RJ was a disaster. He was getting sacked left and right. I can remember during the halftime, Steve Young was stating that Flutie should be put in. The only thing that kept the Bills in that game so RJ had a chance was their defense.  Would Flutie have won that game had he started? or came in relief? Who knows? I think he would have been really motivated to prove himself.  Flutie had to know that if he got a chance in that game it might be his last shot to get to a SB. But thanks to Wade being a pu$$y we will never know.

5 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Your post is spot on. Flutie's arm strength started to go in the 2nd half of the season and the offense sputtered as a result. Much like Tyrod , opposing teams figured Flutie out. He still had the escapability and was a much better throwing on the run than TT  but the initial Flutie Magic had gone.  RJ on the other hand had done nothing to deserve winning the start in TN. The game played out predictably in the first half, RJ was a disaster. He was getting sacked left and right. I can remember during the halftime, Steve Young was stating that Flutie should be put in. The only thing that kept the Bills in that game so RJ had a chance was their defense.  Would Flutie have won that game had he started? or came in relief? Who knows? I think he would have been really motivated to prove himself.  Flutie had to know that if he got a chance in that game it might be his last shot to get to a SB. But thanks to Wade being a pu$$y we will never know.

The Bills went 10-5 that year with Flutie under center including winning 6 out of the last 8. 

I wish we had a QB now that could struggle like that. 

Just win baby

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I will go to my grave thinking we at least go to SB in 1999 if Flutie starts that game. You (nor anyone else) will convince me otherwise.

The closest I've ever been to quitting the Bills.

And considering what has occurred these last 17 years since, I kick myself every day for not.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Albwan said:

He wasn't bad at all, he was adequate, i remember that game well...one play i remember is RJ getting hit

so hard it knocked him right out of his shoe. I still think fluties escapability would have been enough to have a bigger

cushion to avoid that fiasco at the end. Teams had figured out flutie by then, and the Titans had a ferocious pass rush defense

that year, so who knows.

No, he sucked -- and he sucked the way he usually sucked: by functioning as a sack machine. 6 sacks and a safety taken.

9 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

That late drive included 1 completion........  Wow what a gutsy performance........  Bills should have (and would have) won by 2 td's that day with Flutie at QB.

NFLN last night 

The woman was asking Kurt Warner about the switch hand how it was similar of his being benched and Eli taking over.   

I wasn't impressed with his answer of its a risk.   He could have said we don't know what will happen, it could work out as well as Eli's start. 

Flutie couldn't lead possibly the greatest team I ever saw, the 85 and 86 Bears to a playoff win.

I want those of you who are inclined to dwell on some missed Super Bowl parade in 1999 *when he was well beyond his prime* to seriously take a long hard look at your thought process.

It has sparked a renewed interest for me.

I want a drop back and throw REAL NFL QB leading my Bills, not a panic-stricken run for your life kinda dude out there.  The vertical game is important in this era...

This isn't remotely close to the most important game in my 45 years of watching, it's a good one for the last 18 years though.

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Flutie couldn't lead possibly the greatest team I ever saw, the 85 and 86 Bears to a playoff win.

I want those of you who are inclined to dwell on some missed Super Bowl parade in 1999 *when he was well beyond his prime* to seriously take a long hard look at your thought process.

Actually, he was a 10 times better player in the late 1990s than he was in the mid-1980s. He genuinely blossomed and learned how to play in the CFL.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

That would have to be the stupidest take I have ever read on this board, and that is saying something.  You want others to question their thought process? Are frigging kidding me?

Flutie started 1 game in those two years... When exactly did he not get it done with 85 and 86 Bears?  You know he won that game right?  Just like Moon, Flutie was banished to the CFL. Unlike Moon Flutie got bounced because he was too short and teams tried to force him into offenses he did not fit. He went to the CFL and did nothing but frigging win and when he came back he had the confidence and the experience to be able to tell the OC to go screw himself on any given game plan that did not play to his strengths or at least give him the opportunity to audible into something he could play.

Your take is absolutely mind numbing.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:14 AM, joesixpack said:

I still forsee a loss, but now not a blowout.

And I forsee an offense that moves the ball for a change.

I hope that's sarcasm.

Dude what are you gonna do if NP bombs horribly and we miss out on a wc spot where 9-7 gets the 6th seed?

I hope it makes a diff but NP doesnt play defense and our defense has sucked donkey balls recently.

Just now, Marty McFly said:

Dude what are you gonna do if NP bombs horribly and we miss out on a wc spot where 9-7 gets the 6th seed?

I hope it makes a diff but NP doesnt play defense and our defense has sucked donkey balls recently.

We'd miss out on a WC with TT in there, guaranteed.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Whether you love the move at QB or hate the move, I think we can all agree that Sunday is probably the most important day in the history of this whole f@#$ing sport.

Most def the most important one this season

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

We'd miss out on a WC with TT in there, guaranteed.

Defense keeps laying eggs wed miss out with anyone at qb.