Reeeeelaaaaaax. We're 5-3

Steptide

On November 3, 2017 at 6:06 AM, smuvtalker said:

I agree with you, that in the two losses to the Panthers and Bengals, the Bills were in it til the very end, and very well could've come away with W's. While I was pleased with the five victories, one thing that discouraged me was that we were having +3, +4 takeaways but still barely winning. But since we were winning I didn't complain.

But while last night's loss was only one loss, it's just the way that it went down. Again, this is a scenario that we Bills fans have been faced with SO many times during this 17 year drought that you'd have to have JUST recently become a fan of the team, or lived under a rock and been oblivious to the team's struggles.

Last night was by far the biggest game of the season to date for this team. Throw out the fact it was a division game. Throw out the fact it was a conference game. It was the biggest game of the season because, like many previous years, the Bills were overachieving, had a rookie or new head coach, had put together a winning record, and to me personally, were finally starting to get the attention AND respect of the national media. McDermott was being discussed as a potential coach of the year candidate, players were buying into his "Trust the Process" mantra, and with a win last night, our playoff chances would've shot up to 80%. And like too many seasons before, when the Bills had a chance to show everyone that they were for real, and that everyone's belief in them being different from Bills teams of the past was merited, what do they do? They come out flat, uninspired, undisciplined, and play the worst 60 minutes of football they have all year. And once again have everyone saying, "Same Old Bills ".

And you are correct, it was just one game. 5-3 is not a bad record, and I do believe McDermott has this team playing decent football, and am by no means throwing in the towel on this season. But yesterday's loss just fell into all too familiar territory, and has me not wanting to see any highlights on TV, and not wanting to hear any commentary or analysts opinions. I'm hoping McD can right the ship, and the Bills can bounce back and take care of a surging, red hot Saints team next Sunday at New Era....but Drew Brees will be the best quarterback this team has faced all season, and last night they made McCown look like an all-pro.

I wish I could say I'm still optimistic about the rest of the season, but the playoffs seem SO much further out of reach today than they did yesterday.

I agree with you, the playoff chances went way down with that loss yesterday. It was not just losing, but getting dominated that showed this team probably isn't a playoff team. I don't think the Jets are a bad team, I would actually be surprised if they had less than 8 wins at the end of the year. This team needs to show me they can rebound from that performance against the Saints next week. If they beat the Saints we will be in an okay spot again. Lose to the Saints and we will probably be 5-6 in a few weeks looking at Qbs in the draft. 

On 11/3/2017 at 12:06 AM, Nitro said:
New Orleans

@LA Chargers

@Kansas City

New England

Indianapolis

Miami

@New England

@Miami

Have to win 4 at home and one on the road. Not an easy task. I get the feeling that they will look back at this game and regret the loss.

Let not your heart be troubled.  We've got this.  Looking at first 8 games on opening day, most of us would have expected losses to Carolina, Denver, Atlanta, Oakland, and at least one more.  However, we're looking good at 5-3.  At the half way mark, the glass is half-full.  Going forward, I put Chargers, Miami twice, and Indy in the W column.  We'll definitely get one from Saints, NE, or KC.  Billieve me.  We've got this.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Our pass defense and pass rush better get it together because we have Brady twice, Brees, Rivers and Smith coming up. And we all see what happens when this team digs itself into a hole.

The defense in general has to improve including the run defense that will face tough tasks in the next three games.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 hours ago, JM57 said:

This is a garbage attitude IMO. They have played 8 games. In the 8th, they looked considerably worse than they did in the previous 7, but a lot of the mistakes they made are coachable. 

It seems that a lot of the poor tackling was due to trying to force turnovers. The fix? When you return to practice, you preach the first guy wrapping up and all subsequent guys go for the strip. 

IMO Humber had a very bad game, at least early, and was caught jumping inside on outside runs multiple times. That's fixable, or they could just put Milano back in.

On the offensive side, Dennison made some huge mistakes early in the 3rd, continuing to run big formations against a stacked box. When he finally spread it out with a 3WR set, they started moving the ball, but that drive unfortunately ended with the O'Leary fumble. Self-scouting. Play Tyrod in shotgun more to alleviate the poor OL play.

Additonally on offense, you have  Benjamin being integrated (I think we see his role slowly grow week to week for the next 8 games as he learns the offense and develops rapport with Tyrod) AND you get Tyrod's security blanket, Big Play Charles Clay, back too. Those are two receivers that HAVE to be respected or they WILL beat you. The Jets were able to stack the box because they weren't in any way scared of Zay Jones, Jordan Matthews and Andre Holmes.

Things can and will change. They have already evolved as the season went on to implement the power run game and unbalanced formations that they excelled at the last two seasons. Don't give up yet. I believe this coach is obsessed with winning and will be mad as hell about a beat down like Thursday night. He will demand his coaches to fix everything that can be fixed from that game.

Expectations change with the results. It's the NFL, and a week to week league. Sure, few if any saw the Bills as being any kind of decent team this year. That's why they play the games. Once it became clear that the Bills weren't a bad team, the expectations rose with the performance. I don't think many believe this is a SuperBowl roster, but it can be a playoff team. Don't kid yourself, the playoff format doesn't favor the Bills when they lose AFC games and beat NFC opponents. So a loss to the Jets can't exactly be erased by a win over New Orleans. The reverse would be better for their playoff chances. There is still a ways to go, but the team backed themselves into a corner playoff wide by blowing this opportunity. 

We really had a chance to turn the corner with this game... All we had to do was assert dominance over a weaker division rival on the road... Just like the Pats do to us...

This was a game where the leadership simply collapsed... Doesn't bode well for the future.

44 minutes ago, #34fan said:

We really had a chance to turn the corner with this game... All we had to do was assert dominance over a weaker division rival on the road... Just like the Pats do to us...

This was a game where the leadership simply collapsed... Doesn't bode well for the future.

Yeah, they had one horrible loss where it was a total team failure. But, predicting this will ruin us for the future is a little non-sensical don’t you think? 

If they come out flat against the saints then I would worry about the leadership. 

On 11/4/2017 at 11:00 AM, Ga boy said:

Let not your heart be troubled.  We've got this.  Looking at first 8 games on opening day, most of us would have expected losses to Carolina, Denver, Atlanta, Oakland, and at least one more.  However, we're looking good at 5-3.  At the half way mark, the glass is half-full.  Going forward, I put Chargers, Miami twice, and Indy in the W column.  We'll definitely get one from Saints, NE, or KC.  Billieve me.  We've got this.

no...they are on the verge of a collapse