How rookie Sean McDermott got Bills to 'win and win fast'

Kudo's to Rodak ....

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29802/how-rookie-coach-sean-mcdermott-got-bills-to-win-and-win-fast

as Wood approached his 31st birthday this past March and entered the final season of his contract, he wondered whether he should play beyond 2017 for a franchise immersed in a 17-season playoff drought.

Wood's agents traveled to the scouting combine in Indianapolis in February to relay his concerns about another rebuilding project to Bills management, including McDermott. The next morning, Wood received a call from his new coach. Not knowing what to expect, Wood thought maybe he was getting cut.

"I appreciate you wondering," McDermott instead told Wood of his approach. "We are absolutely not rebuilding. We’re going to win and win fast."

click to read much more

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudo's to Rodak ....

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29802/how-rookie-coach-sean-mcdermott-got-bills-to-win-and-win-fast

as Wood approached his 31st birthday this past March and entered the final season of his contract, he wondered whether he should play beyond 2017 for a franchise immersed in a 17-season playoff drought.

Wood's agents traveled to the scouting combine in Indianapolis in February to relay his concerns about another rebuilding project to Bills management, including McDermott. The next morning, Wood received a call from his new coach. Not knowing what to expect, Wood thought maybe he was getting cut.

"I appreciate you wondering," McDermott instead told Wood of his approach. "We are absolutely not rebuilding. We’re going to win and win fast."

click to read much more

Do you know how long I've waited to see someone in the national media write an article like this about the Bills?

Yes, you do, because you've been waiting that long too.

It feels great. Amazing.

Great article. Thanks for sharing it.

my pleasure.

he was definitely the right choice

I'm buying in.

Do you know how long I've waited to see someone in the national media write an article like this about the Bills?

Yes, you do, because you've been waiting that long too.

It feels great. Amazing.

Agreed

Sean McDermott is a football coach guys. A proper football coach. He understands leadership. He was my #1 choice... I thought he should have got a job the year before and probably would have had the Panthers not kept rolling all the way to the Superbowl. My last two choices when we had head coach vacancies were Lovie Smith in 2013 and Hue Jackson in 2015...... hindsight tells me we were probably right to stay away from those two. I hope it also tells me the Bills were right to go with Sean McDermott.

I’m going to be the rain on parade day. All of this hype is well and good but remember that we have been here many times before since 1999. I’m not saying that as fans we should not enjoy the curren ride. What we do have to remember (and more importantly the team has to remember) is that wins do not on their own create more wins.

Let’s hope the magic continues. We will know come February of next year.

There is one constant in this league(NFL)

Win. And all is good.

I believe McDerma has changed the culture amazingly better in less mistakes penalties etc etc.......but

If Rex would have been 11-5 and 11-5 he would also be our savior too.

Edited by cba fan

With guys like Rodak starting to write these kind of stories about Buffalo it tells me that what I am watching is real. More important than what I am watching is real, is that what I am watching this year is different. in the past 17 years Buffalo has been here before. We have had fast starts before. Than out of nowhere all the issues that were apparent all year show up the remainder of the year. This team is not making dumb penalties, or prone to turnovers. One side of the ball is not hiding glaring weaknesses of the other unit. They are playing together, playing as a team. The units are picking up the other right when they team needs it.

The Bucs game. Buffalo blows a 4th quarter lead. Our best corner gets beat for what looked like a game winning Td with a little over 3 mins left. He was right with him but it was 5-11 on 6-5 and that reach was the difference. 3 plays later the offense tied it up. I wasn't their and haven't been to a home game in years. My observation from my office computer at work was that was the most electric I have seen the stadium in years. Tied game plenty of time for Winston and the offense who shredded them through the air the whole second half. The first play of the drive the game goes full circle. The prized rookie who just got beat not only punches the ball out also recovers. That was a team win that has not been seen in these parts for years. Multiple places for the Bills to fold. instead they took the game back that they seemingly gave away like they have for many years.

Tonight I do not have the same nervousness that I have had in years past. On paper Buffalo is better. On the field Buffalo is better. Buffalo is executing better, Buffalo is also more consistent. Short week easy to lose focus to a tougher than realized rival, the difference is Buffalo was injected with a solid dose of excitement Tuesday. Say what you want but players notice what has happened since training camp. The first 2 trades brought better teammates good players but not special talents. Last week they got rid of Daures another talent but high paid and not fulfilling is potential. Instead of selling they bought some talent and brought in a massive upgrade at Wr. 6-5 245 and supremely talented helps. Fits what the team needs. As a running ball control offense you need to score TDs and pick up 3rd downs Benjamin does those well.

Edited by Mat68