Why did teams let Micah Hyde and our current players go?

Billsfed

I'm stunned. In the case of Hyde specifically, the dude has missed 1 or 2 games and still leads the NFL in interceptions. He always seems to be in around the football.

I suppose he's just a prime example of the team that's been assembled here. What was it that Darryl Talley said in the missing rings presentation? Something to the effect of "were like the misfit toys from Christmas, that someone left off in Buffalo"

I look at Andre Holmes, bounced from team to team "you're not good enough" leads the Bills in touchdowns. I look at Deonte Thompson, same type of story (100+ yards first game as a Bill). The eagles didn't think much of Jordan Matthews, same can be said for guys like Jerry Hughes, Lorenzo Alexander, Jordan Poyer, EJ Gaines, Ramon Humber, Steven Hauschka etc. etc.

But all these guys come here and make solid contributions to the team. Why?

I'm starting to think there's something more to our coach. There has to be. Why else would all these guys elevate their play, all of them at same time like that? Because there's something to believe in. There's a greater good than the X's and O's, or the dollar bills or all the other bs. There's a message that has struck them hard that only McD and the players know behind closed doors and that's where it should stay.

Me personally, I love watching these guys play football. I look forward to it every week now. I think were in for a treat tomorrow and I can't wait to see what it's like when they return back in a couple weeks.

A lot of our guys were castoffs and that's fine by me...you just keep winning and we'll show 'em together what misfits can do

Edited by Billsfed

I think our coach values versatility more than the average bear. Especially guys like Hyde and Poyer. These were guys that didnt have set positions, but for McD it fits what he does so well. Other guys on your list like Hughes and Lorax were brought here by other coaches and have played at a high level before, they just happen to be high character guys as well.

I think he values character/intelligence/willingness to learn the program and stick to it reliably over things like raw talent.

There are always guys that are desirable that are floating around, getting waived, don't make a good fit on a given roster but fit well on another, etc.

The trick is knowing which is which and gathering the right guys.

Seems to be working so far!

A first time HC without a lot of film on what he's doing has the element of surprise over opponents. Getting contributions from lesser heralded players is necessary to win, but talent wins out in the end because teams are going to take away what's working well.

I'm very interested to see how McD adjusts in the second half. We're going to find out if they can keep getting the same type of performance as teams see more of what McD's doing.

I'm stunned. In the case of Hyde specifically, the dude has missed 1 or 2 games and still leads the NFL in interceptions. He always seems to be in around the football.

I suppose he's just a prime example of the team that's been assembled here. What was it that Darryl Talley said in the missing rings presentation? Something to the effect of "were like the misfit toys from Christmas, that someone left off in Buffalo"

I look at Andre Holmes, bounced from team to team "you're not good enough" leads the Bills in touchdowns. I look at Deonte Thompson, same type of story (100+ yards first game as a Bill). The eagles didn't think much of Jordan Matthews, same can be said for guys like Jerry Hughes, Lorenzo Alexander, Jordan Poyer, EJ Gaines, Ramon Humber, Steven Hauschka etc. etc.

I'm starting to think there's something more to our coach. There has to be. Why else would all these guys elevate their play, all of them at same time like that? Because there's something to believe in. There's a greater good than the X's and O's, or the dollar bills or all the other bs. There's a message that has struck them hard that only McD and the players know behind closed doors and that's where it should stay.

Me personally, I love watching these guys play football. I look forward to it every week now. I think were in for a treat tomorrow and I can't wait to see what it's like when they return back in a couple weeks.

A lot of our guys were castoffs and that's fine by me...you just keep winning and we'll show 'em together what misfits can do

Micah Hyde hasn't missed any games this year

I read recently that our CB Leonard Johnson say that he was going back to Carolina but once McDermott got the job here he called McDermott personally and asked him if he could play here in Buffalo

Packers didn't have money to sign Hyde with what they had to pay their superstars.

Holmes is garbage; Thompson never got a chance really

Holmes isnt garbage. Anyone who suits up on game day in the NFL is capable talent wise. Its the mental aspect that separates those who have careers and those who wash out. Holmes made a spectacular play last game. The team needs him to build on that.

Green Bay pays Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, both its offensive tackles, Clay Matthews and the DT Adams.

After that the rest are 1st contract guys or street FAs. They might be the only team in the league that pays both WRs and both OTs.... they realise their method to win is ARod's arm.

Additionally Hyde was a victim of his own versatility in Green Bay. He started as a corner, then played safety, then nickel and then last year he started games at all 3 spots as injuries piled up around him in the secondary.

I was always a fan and felt the moment we signed him he would be a big contributor here.

I think that a lot of it is opportunity. Hyde & Hauschka were the only real high end signing in FA. They did a nice job scouting on guys like Poyer but in general these guys are just playing. It happens all of the time in sports. A guy gets an opportunity and performs.

H&H were relatively known quantities

Poyer is the real shocker

Holmes hasnt done near enough to make this type of list imo. He has 11 catches at less than 9 ypc (sub 100 yards) and many here thought he could be a #2.

In Hyde's case it's really about opportunity, perhaps even fit within the system. He wasn't consistently starting in GB, which is a bit surprising given how ineffective their secondary was last year. I know they invested a lot in Clinton Dix, perhaps they just couldn't justify paying both.

He hasn't missed any games though, at least not that I'm aware.

Poyer was a FA steal. Fantastic job scouting, not sure if he was signed by Whaley or Beane, but somebody deserves some credit.

I think that a lot of it is opportunity. Hyde & Hauschka were the only real high end signing in FA. They did a nice job scouting on guys like Poyer but in general these guys are just playing. It happens all of the time in sports. A guy gets an opportunity and performs.

Spot on. Haushka has been exceptional just like Hyde

The Bills tok a bunch of players who weren't great on other teams but they are perfect fits for what they are being asked to do in their roles. Basically we found guys who were brought in to fill certain roles, they fit them exceptionally well and together they are a fine tuned unit who plays smart, fast and physical and doesn't make many mistakes.