Playoffs? Playoffs?? The Playoff Chances Thread

Just now, Real McCoy said:

Either way we control our destiny for once! So pumped to say that with 2 weeks remaining.

Just win out and we are in BABY!!  If the Dolphins can beat the Pats, why the hell can't we?

I wouldn't call it "controlling our own destiny" when we play the Pats next week. Lol

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Win twice and they are in

Not happening unless Pats rest their starters. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yes there are. That is just the most likely one. 

No actually the more likely won is Tenn lose out and Chargers drop one 

1 minute ago, Klaista2k said:

I wouldn't call it "controlling our own destiny" when we play the Pats next week. Lol

Not happening unless Pats rest their starters. 

Are you sure. Think MIA said the same thing?

1 minute ago, Klaista2k said:

So I'm getting the impression our chances would've been better had the Chargers beat KC?

WTF why were people saying it didn't matter who won? I at least could've rooted for the Chiefs to lose last night. Ugh

Rooting for the Chiefs to lose wouldntbhave changed the outcome . The Bills had a path in regardless of the winner. After KC won, the Bills best hope hinged on TEN beating SF today , then losing to division leading Rams, Jags. They lost to SF, so the Bills chances are now dependent upon less likely outcomes. 

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Here it is updated with Titans Loss

Thad Brown (@thadbrown7)
#Titans loss means #Bills now control destiny and make playoffs with 2 wins.
#Bills also make playoffs with 1 win and:

#Ravens loss
OR 
TEN wins v Rams then loses v JAX
OR 
2 TEN losses and 1 #Chargers loss

#BillsMafia

This is wrong 

Titans 10-6 win out

Jags 10-6 lose out 

Ravens 10-6 win out

Bills 10-6 win out 

AFC Tiebreakers

• 4th Seed - Tennessee
    AFC South Champ (Wins tie break over Jacksonville based on head-to-head win percentage.)
  • 5th Seed - Jacksonville
    Wins tie break over Buffalo and Baltimore based on best win percentage in conference games.
  • 6th Seed - Baltimore
    Wins tie break over Buffalo based on best win percentage in common games.
  •  

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Rooting for the Chiefs to lose wouldntbhave changed the outcome . The Bills had a path in regardless of the winner. After KC won, the Bills best hope hinged on TEN beating SF today , then losing to division leading Rams, Jags. They lost to SF, so the Bills chances are now dependent upon less likely outcomes. 

Really so Tenn losing out is less likely?  Lol you sir are funny

Just now, mikemac2001 said:

This is wrong 

Titans 10-6 win out

Jags 10-6 lose out 

Ravens 10-6 win out

Bills 10-6 win out 

AFC Tiebreakers

• 4th Seed - Tennessee
    AFC South Champ (Wins tie break over Jacksonville based on head-to-head win percentage.)
  • 5th Seed - Jacksonville
    Wins tie break over Buffalo and Baltimore based on best win percentage in conference games.
  • 6th Seed - Baltimore
    Wins tie break over Buffalo based on best win percentage in common games.
  •  

Where is your link?  Nah will go with a verified reporter 

3 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

They have to beat the Rams? Wouldn't the lose both?

I think this is only relevant if the Chargers win out.  In this scenario, there would be a three way tie and bills would own the tie breaker.  If Chargers lose 1, then we want the titans to lose out.

3 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

How much better would our playoff chances be right now if the Chargers beat KC last night? Just curious. 

They would be appreciably better imo. Titans lost to SF and finish with Rams and Jags. That would have probably left just KC and BUF at 9-7 after week 17 with the tiebreaker going to Bills by virtue of head to head win. 

What I'm trying to figure out is how losing to the Falcons would have put us in a better position than we are in right now. Win out. Playoffs.

(Sorry folks, this is a delayed response to the annual early season trollish/jack-assian post after we beat an NFC team claiming our playoff chances just worsened).

At this point I just need the Chargers to lose a game. I think the Titans lose out. 

That said what a wonderful Christmas present a Ravens loss would be.

Titans/Bills same record:

Depends on how the Titans and Bills are tied. If they are 9-7 and the Titans beat the Rams and lose to the Jags the Bills will. If the Titans lose to the Rams and beat the Jags than they do. If both teams are 10-6 then the Bills own it. 

Edited by dma0034

It is correct that even if the Bills win out, they are not guaranteed to make the playoffs. That would put us at a 96% chance of making it, so there are some scenarios under which we still wouldn't make it. But I'll take those odds and worry about what we can control.

Without bringing up Pittsburgh 2004 again .... one of the several excellent things that happened this weekend is that as a consequence of today's loss, the Dolphins really have nothing to play for.  Under ordinary circumstances you might find them starting their backup QB in anticipation of planning for 2018, etc., but given that Matt Moore is also a known quantity, I'm not sure what they'll do. But I would hope that you see a demoralized Dolphins team rather than the resurgent one that's shown up for the last few weeks.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It is correct that even if the Bills win out, they are not guaranteed to make the playoffs. That would put us at a 96% chance of making it, so there are some scenarios under which we still wouldn't make it. But I'll take those odds and worry about what we can control.

Without bringing up Pittsburgh 2004 again .... one of the several excellent things that happened this weekend is that as a consequence of today's loss, the Dolphins really have nothing to play for.  Under ordinary circumstances you might find them starting their backup QB in anticipation of planning for 2018, etc., but given that Matt Moore is also a known quantity, I'm not sure what they'll do. But I would hope that you see a demoralized Dolphins team rather than the resurgent one that's shown up for the last few weeks.

Titans ravens and bills win out 

jags lose out 

Titans jump jags with head to head 4th seed 

Jags would be 9-3 in conference game so they take the 5th seed 

ravens and bills would finish 8-4 in conference games and then the ravens would beat the bills in common games which hasn't been calculated until they play the colts next week giving the ravens the 6th seed based on the tie breaker rules

only scenario I could find where we wouldn't get in if we win out but it's possible 

root for jags to win the next two weeks 

root for a ravens and chargers to lose a game 

bills win

8 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

Same results on New York Times. Trust someone just throwing it out and not looking at the tie breakers. You can do your own research i would recommend it next time.

Tenn gonna win out? Just asking for a friend?

The Titans have a brutal two game finish to their schedule.  They are are going to be heavy underdogs to both Jacksonville and the Rams.  It would be pretty shocking if they can win either one of those two games.  So, if Buffalo can win one more it is highly likely they're in.  Easier said than done.  Now that New England has the head to head tiebreaker with the Steelers for home field advantage throughout the playoffs, they will be highly motivated to play their best next week to maintain their playoff position.  The following week, on New Years Eve, Miami will be home and motivated to try and gain payback in the rematch with the Bills.  It's not impossible for the Bills to win one of both games, but it won't be easy.  I think it is pretty obvious Miami was affected by the cold temps today, having had quite a few drops.  Hopefully, it won't be so warm in Miami as to create a weather advantage for the Dolphins on December 31, but Buffalo does lose the weather advantage they had today, and Miami gains the crowd and other intagibles from being at home in two weeks. 

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Tenn gonna win out? Just asking for a friend?

You posted incorrect information from a verified reporter. I posted a scenario which proved it wrong.

i can't predict the future but if they do it can cost the bills a playoff spot if we win out ravens win out and if jags lose out. Which is why I said stop posting that incorrect information and do your own research 

looks like youe verified reporter got called out for being wrong 

Edited by mikemac2001
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Just pray that the Ravens lose to the Bengals, because that's our most likely way in.

Umm, the way the Bengals are playing, that's probably the least likely scenario that gets us in.

Ravens finish with 2 home games: the Colts and the Bengals. Add to that the Browns today and it's hard to imagine an easier final 3 weeks, cruising into a wild card. So it's really all about the Titans now, and they (fortunately) get a Rams team next week that is (1) playing really good football; (2) still has playoff seeding to play for.

So let's say everything plays to form next weekend: Bills drop one. Titans lose to the Rams. Ravens whup the Colts. Chargers beat the Jets. That leaves us with just a 10 percent chance of getting in.  In other words, things look rosier right now than they really are. But keep everything else the same and have us beating the Pats?  That jumps all the way up to a 63% chance of getting in. If ever there was a time to beat the Pats it's on Christmas Eve.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Umm, the way the Bengals are playing, that's probably the least likely scenario that gets us in.

Ravens finish with 2 home games: the Colts and the Bengals. Add to that the Browns today and it's hard to imagine an easier final 3 weeks, cruising into a wild card. So it's really all about the Titans now, and they (fortunately) get a Rams team next week that is (1) playing really good football; (2) still has playoff seeding to play for.

So let's say everything plays to form next weekend: Bills drop one. Titans lose to the Rams. Ravens whup the Colts. Chargers beat the Jets. That leaves us with just a 10 percent chance of getting in.  In other words, things look rosier right now than they really are. But keep everything else the same and have us beating the Pats?  That jumps all the way up to a 63% chance of getting in. If ever there was a time to beat the Pats it's on Christmas Eve.

yup..can't be overstated enough how much better it would have been had the titans not choked the game away against the niners earlier today

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, QB Bills said:

yup..can't be overstated enough how much better it would have been had the titans not choked the game away against the niners earlier today

This seems lost on many posters here. The door closed quite a bit today if looking at results that are likely to happen. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

This seems lost on many posters here. The door closed quite a bit today if looking at results that are likely to happen. 

To me I don't understand this?

The Nissans lose to the Rams then the Jags and they are 8-8 even if the Bills split they are 9-7.

Hope for a Chargers loss or even a Ravens loss and the Bills are in. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Agreed...Maybe they’ll show up agains the Rams.

Still, the Jags may have little to play for in two weeks.

Edited by Kgun5