Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

If this is right Im glad he's gone, tough to get a team to take on his issues and contract, hope he does well in Jax so we get a 5th. 2019-21 gets wiped out, better then paying it all with cutting him, plus we get a draft pick out of it even if it's just a 6th it's something.

I am really tired of this misleading people that we are "saving" money.

The Bills pay Dareus's salary.

Dareus leaves.

The Bills have to still pay a portion of Dareus's salary, but no Dareus.

The portion of what people are calling "savings" is the difference between what we *were* paying him, and what we *still* have to pay him.

So to sum it up, we are in fact spending millions on nothing but being glad we didn't spend a bit more on Dareus.

Edited by What a Tuel

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we targeting a big free agent next year or something? Possibly Kirk Cousins?

This is exactly what I have been thinking they may be up to and then using the draft to build up around him (or Jimmy Garrapolo). With this strategy they have draft options. just odd....

I thought maybe the Bills could holdout for a 3rd rounder or better. For the Bills to give up on Dareus for only a 6th or 5th Dareus must not be very well liked in the locker room. A well liked player who is under performing could be a lot harder to let go than a malcontent who no one likes anyway. They must think it's a lot of addition by subtraction and the added cap space however modest this year is worth it.

I think in years past giving up on a talent like Dareus would be read as the team giving talent away for little return. But with how good this staff has looked at 4-2 you kind of trust them a little more with how to handle a locker room malcontent. Winning makes everyone look better. I think the team could have held out until 2018 if they didn't get a better offer but maybe they were just itching to dump him.

Seems like this staff wants their players to be All-In all the time no exceptions. It's a disciplinarian method of coaching but it can win and be highly successful.

Dareus leaves.

The portion of what people are calling "savings" is the difference between what we *were* paying him, and what we *still* have to pay him.

So to sum it up, we are in fact spending millions on nothing but being glad we didn't spend a bit more on Dareus.

We don't have to pay his salary anymore, we just have a dead money cap hit for this year and next. No money paid out, just a cap hit.

Would you rather have Tanner Vallejo and $2M in cap space or Dareus? Thats what the conversation is.

If that's the conversation then it's a pretty moronic one. Sadly, that's par for the course around here lately. Every future late round pick is not Tanner Vallejo, that's a ridiculous notion. We can't quantify the negative effect Dareus has on the locker room with numbers so it becomes easy to dismiss. Apathy and laziness are contagious, and I think this sends a fantastic message to the locker room - "We don't care about your contract, go hard every day or you're getting shipped out."

What do you think the rest of the league was offering for him this offseason? Probably nothing or a 7th round conditional pick. This guy was one more missed meeting away from being outright cut.

We don't have to pay his salary anymore, we just have a dead money cap hit for this year and next. No money paid out, just a cap hit.

Yes we do. What do you think that dead money cap hit is?

So again while we don't have to pay his base salary, we are still paying for Dareus iao $24 million over two years.

True savings will take place in 2019 when we aren't paying Ghost Dareus anything.

Edit: I see where you a making a distinction between actually paying him and what not. I am speaking in terms of the Bills salary cap. Yes they already cut the check to him when he signed.

Edited by What a Tuel

I thought maybe the Bills could holdout for a 3rd rounder or better. For the Bills to give up on Dareus for only a 6th or 5th Dareus must not be very well liked in the locker room. A well liked player who is under performing could be a lot harder to let go than a malcontent who no one likes anyway. They must think it's a lot of addition by subtraction and the added cap space however modest this year is worth it.

I think in years past giving up on a talent like Dareus would be read as the team giving talent away for little return. But with how good this staff has looked at 4-2 you kind of trust them a little more with how to handle a locker room malcontent. Winning makes everyone look better. I think the team could have held out until 2018 if they didn't get a better offer but maybe they were just itching to dump him.

Seems like this staff wants their players to be All-In all the time no exceptions. It's a disciplinarian method of coaching but it can win and be highly successful.

I don't think any of us here know for sure what his teammates thought of him. Everything I have heard, however, is that his teammates liked him and always have. The only public thing I have seen, although I don't know if there are others, was from Jerel Worthy and it was favorable.

That said, players often like other players because of the guy they are, which has nothing to do with performance on the field.

From what I have read, heard, and conjectured, is that Dareus was well liked by his teammates but not the kind of guy McBeane wants on the team. So their idea of "locker room" is a totally different concept than the players idea of locker room. McBeane thinks, maybe rightfully so, if you are not 100% in all day every day, you are a detriment to our locker room. We want 100% of those kind of guys. And Marcel, at this point of his life and career may not be. That's why they sent him home for being two hours early instead of two and a half hours early from a preseason game. He didn't see the importance of everyone on the same page.

It's understandable. McBeane was all 53 players to be like that. It's unknown whether that is a winning formula. We have talked about it here before, I can't think of a team at any time in any sport that did it this way and won it all. That doesn't mean it can't. I like most of what they are doing so far. Like everyone I would love for it to happen. It's working so far. I'm not betting against them, I'm just not sure whether an entire team of Boy Scouts can win.

Dareus leaves.

How much is saved? That is what I want to know.

*How much against the cap? Until I know that, I really can't pass judgment.

Edited by Paulus

I hated the contract they gave him and said so at the time, but trading him to a fellow afc playoff contender (and Doug Marrone)for only a small salary cap relief this season doesn t feel like a win to me. This could have waited til after this season imo. The Bills will still be hit with a large dead cap hit this season and next.

It may take you a little while, but just start reading from the beginning, disregard anything not applicable to what you want to know, don't take the first few mentions of it as gospel, and in about five minutes you will know everything you need to know and more.

Wow, we suck at tanking the the FO is forced to trade away our better players. Whats next? Shady to the Browns for 7th round pick in 2031?

Started reading this thread from the beginning and all the nonsense I've seen for some reason, yours stands out. Shady isn't going anywhere. He's buying into the team approach, the process etc.

Surely you and everyone else can see this. Buy in or get out. Your salary isn't the deciding factor.

This. Addition by subtraction. Hard to promote a culture of accountability when your highest-paid player is a morose, indifferent slob. Imagine a "normal" workplace in which the highest-paid worker earns a salary 30x that of the average worker and also is one of the least productive and most ineffective employees at that business. Good luck with morale in that scenario. I wish dareus the person luck and happiness as he moves forward, but I am beyond thrilled that dareus the football player is a former bill.

This x 1000.

Good riddance to this lazy paycheck player who quit on his team.

$10 million against the cap in 2017.

$14 million against the cap in 2018.

With the caveat that the Jags take the rest of the contract.

$10 million against the cap in 2017.

$14 million against the cap in 2018.

With the caveat that the Jags take the rest of the contract.

I don't think that's what he is asking. I think he is asking total savings and how much more, if anything, in cap money we can spend after the trade. There are a bunch of responses to that question and if you spend the time you will figure it out. A bunch of folks here know what they're talking about. But you have to, like most internet and social media things, weed through the wackos and people who don't fully understand or have all the information.

Sitting poolside in our rented villa in Ubud, Bali. Yes, I am rubbing it in. Saw the news early this morning our time. Wanted to enjoy the tranquility of this place for a while longer before I read this thread.

After reading your opinions and arriving at my own, I'm with those that believe that MD was an even bigger locker room issue than we were led to think. You don't just salary dump as space-eating, run-stuffing DT who was picked 4th overall for a 6th rounder without valid justification. I think he was a princess and wouldn't buy into the last two systems and that showed each time he stepped on the field. I expect him to play his hardest in Jax though, so others will undoubtedly throw that at the "good riddance" crowd. Problem is that he hasn't done it in 4 seasons in Buffalo.

Started reading this thread from the beginning and all the nonsense I've seen for some reason, yours stands out. Shady isn't going anywhere. He's buying into the team approach, the process etc.

Surely you and everyone else can see this. Buy in or get out. Your salary isn't the deciding factor.

Never react to a poster with"69" in his screen name and that guy has two of them.

cap space in 2017: 14,000,000

cap space in 2018: 29,000,000

check out spotrac

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/2017/

change the year to 2018 to see for yourselves. Looks like JAX is eating a lot of the contract.

Heart broken, Best feet in the league, OL or DL. If only Glenn had those feet. Glad I didn't get that Jersey now.