Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

If you aren't watching the games to assess how he's performing then your opinion is uninformed. Period.

My opinion is not uninformed. He isn't getting targets period. Every elite WR in the NFL gets targets period Every good receiver in the NFL gets targets period All those receivers also draw coverage period

So, what is the reason he doesn't get targets?

Talk to me when you watch. Hyperbole won't cover up for you.

There is no hyperbole. Talk to me when he breaks 800 yards. Excuses that he is some awesome decoy so he doesn't need to catch footballs to be elite doesn't cover up your bad argument.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is not uninformed. He isn't getting targets period. Every elite WR in the NFL gets targets period Every good receiver in the NFL gets targets period All those receivers also draw coverage period

So, what is the reason he doesn't get targets?

Watch the games and see what coverage he draws/defeats along with what decisions Goff is making. Then you tell me.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Theres something thats irked me all offseason though, and I mentioned it earlier...

Essentially we were a .500 team under Rex. in December/January many here loudly advocated that Rex was costing the team wins. That implies we had a playoff caliber roster with a buffoon leading the way.

Now every player weve let walk or traded away has likewise been loudly supported as addition by subtraction, or various forms of the team being better with pretty much anything in their place.

I very much get that a board is full of a ton of people so trying to peg it down to a single philosophy is silly - but these were very universal views the last year...

So I start wondering who exactly was carrying the team to these wins the last two years? Was it all Tyrod? And if so whats with the hardball and refusal to endorse him?

Was it Eric wood and Lorenzo carrying all the dead weight?

How does one reconcile TERRIBLE COACHES and every premiere player needing to go but also middle of the pack results?

.....forget about the detailed reports of the players not caring to learn Rex's system? Walking out on Seth Joyner at practice. Seth Joyner going on the radio before last season saying the Bills defenders don't care, they would rather play video games.

Is it that hard to believe that there was some destructive players on the roster? Sure Rex gave up on them and he sealed his own fate but the players are not short on any blame.

How is McD winning as much with less talented guys? The guys on the field want to win, the me first guys all have been sent packing.

A few things:

Those complaining that we traded an 'asset' for too little. Assets are determined by the market value, not the original purchase price. If I buy a stock at 150.00 per share and the next day it drops to 10.00 per share, its valuation is 10.00, not 150.00. Dareus was an overall #3 pick. While he flashed ability that warranted that valuation, his later actions; drug use resulting in suspensions as well as a seemingly casual attitude towards his role on defense has significantly reduced his value. We bought a stock high and it plummeted. We are simply selling off to end the ordeal. This leads me into my next point.

Addition by subtraction. McD and Beane made a point to airlock anyone who didn't fit their profile of the right type of player for their team....except Dareus. Why? The contract. Cutting him would have hurt more than trading him. Until today, they didn't have any offers for him. So, with this new culture, the new Bills. Few penalties, giving 100% every play the entire game, we have a 100MM player with a half assed dedication playing about 33% of snaps. He needed to go. We are being celebrated as a team doing well with a lot of young/unknown players. Having a large price tag player, not fully contributing and with only part of his heart in the game on the team hurts us.

In my opinion, he was gone the moment McD and Beane came on, they just needed to figure out how. Today, they did. Even if we didn't get a 6th rd pick for him, I support this move. New team, new philosophy and if you dont fit, you need to leave the locker room. The players we have are playing their asses off...all the way to 4th quarter 0:00. Thats a team I support.

/rant

nice rant

Watch the games and see what coverage he draws/defeats along with what decisions Goff is making. Then you tell me.

I don't need to.

Fact: He doesn't get targets

Fact: Any receiver of the quality you claim he is gets targets and draws the same type of coverage

Fact: Goff throws to 7 or 8 different targets per game. Watkins for the most part is not one of them

That's all anyone needs to know.

Have you even watched the games or have you watched a few highlights that he got open and are pulling your own hyperbole acting like he is open all the time?

Edited by Scott7975

I hate this trade.

I hate buying high and selling low.

Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have thought that we would trade Dareus for a 6th round pick (with a 5th being the upside).

This is the second time that Doug Marrone has robbed the Buffalo Bills.

Mr. Bean apparently comes from the Tim Murray school of trading - overpay in trades.

Edited by Peter

SPOTRAC: A FINANCIAL LOOK AT THE MARCELL DAREUS TRADE

https://www.buffalosportspage.com/spotrac-financial-look-marcell-dareus-trade/

Trading Marcell was the Bills only out, and they did very well to find a team in Jacksonville with a similar scenario to their own overachieving in the standings, but still unstable in the immediate future in many key areas (including the QB position).

While some may look at the football ceiling of Dareus and question the Bills for bailing on a player of this caliber amidst a 4-2 season, this is simply just another example of new GM Brandon Beane proving he can and will sell when the value is high enough (See: Sammy Watkins). The business side to the game almost always wins out.

I don't need to.

Fact: Any receiver of the quality you claim he is gets targets and draws the same type of coverage

Fact: Goff throws to 7 or 8 different targets per game. Watkins for the most part is not one of them

Okay. What are the route combinations and concepts that McVay designs and what is Watkins' role in the success of those who get all those targets? I'm sure you won't answer since you don't watch. Continue your boxscore assessment. :thumbsup:

Sorry if already posted. I read through a bunch but had to give up.

According to Football Outsiders, in 2017 Dareus played:

33.3% defensive snaps

11.0% special teams snaps

Yeah but they upped his snaps a lot this past weekend to showcase him.

If I am in that locker room I am not appreciating the coach using important regular season snaps to showcase talent he's trying to trade........especially for a measly 6th round f*cking pick :lol: .

That comes off as McD saying you gotta' be all-in but McD being somewhat less than all-in.

I don't need to.

Have you even watched the games or have you watched a few highlights that he got open and are pulling your own hyperbole acting like he is open all the time?

I have watched the Rams games, we always have two tvs set up. Watkins isn't a big part of what they do on offense. The only game he produced was on the horrible 9ers secondary, a game in which Woods he more yards than Sammy.

Deonte Thompson has a legitimate shot to out produce Watkins this year. Still some folks will die on the fence.

.....forget about the detailed reports of the players not caring to learn Rex's system? Walking out on Seth Joyner at practice. Seth Joyner going on the radio before last season saying the Bills defenders don't care, they would rather play video games.

Is it that hard to believe that there was some destructive players on the roster? Sure Rex gave up on them and he sealed his own fate but the players are not short on any blame.

How is McD winning as much with less talented guys? The guys on the field want to win, the me first guys all have been sent packing.

Actually, mostly he is winning with their top three free agents, Hyde and Poyer and Hauschka, their #1 pick Tre White, Brown and Alexander at LB (with help from Humber), Hughes and Kyle up front, Tyrod, Shady and Clay and Incognito and Glenn when healthy on offense. Those have been their performers.

The role players have filled in as cogs rather nicely, for sure. But the core players are the ones performing.

A few things:

Those complaining that we traded an 'asset' for too little. Assets are determined by the market value, not the original purchase price. If I buy a stock at 150.00 per share and the next day it drops to 10.00 per share, its valuation is 10.00, not 150.00. Dareus was an overall #3 pick. While he flashed ability that warranted that valuation, his later actions; drug use resulting in suspensions as well as a seemingly casual attitude towards his role on defense has significantly reduced his value. We bought a stock high and it plummeted. We are simply selling off to end the ordeal. This leads me into my next point.

Addition by subtraction. McD and Beane made a point to airlock anyone who didn't fit their profile of the right type of player for their team....except Dareus. Why? The contract. Cutting him would have hurt more than trading him. Until today, they didn't have any offers for him. So, with this new culture, the new Bills. Few penalties, giving 100% every play the entire game, we have a 100MM player with a half assed dedication playing about 33% of snaps. He needed to go. We are being celebrated as a team doing well with a lot of young/unknown players. Having a large price tag player, not fully contributing and with only part of his heart in the game on the team hurts us.

In my opinion, he was gone the moment McD and Beane came on, they just needed to figure out how. Today, they did. Even if we didn't get a 6th rd pick for him, I support this move. New team, new philosophy and if you dont fit, you need to leave the locker room. The players we have are playing their asses off...all the way to 4th quarter 0:00. Thats a team I support.

/rant

Bravo. Jags are obviously more desperate to make the playoffs than we are, so they're willing to take on what is by any analysis a bad contract overall for the hope that Dareus performs at least better than what they currently have right now. Desperation has gotten us into trouble before, so I'm glad to see some cool headed decisionmaking by the new management team.

I have watched the Rams games, we always have two tvs set up. Watkins isn't a big part of what they do on offense. The only game he produced was on the horrible 9ers secondary, a game in which Woods he more yards than Sammy.

Deonte Thompson has a legitimate shot to out produce Watkins this year. Still some folks will die on the fence.

Who draws coverage from the opponents' #1 CB? It's not Woods, Kupp, or Austin. No impact though.

Actually, mostly he is winning with their top three free agents, Hyde and Poyer and Hauschka, their #1 pick Tre White, Brown and Alexander at LB (with help from Humber), Hughes and Kyle up front, Tyrod, Shady and Clay and Incognito and Glenn when healthy on offense. Those have been their performers.

The role players have filled in as cogs rather nicely, for sure. But the core players are the ones performing.

Yep with a team effort. That's what the folks that are trashing Beane are missing. They are doing more with less. IF these guys can draft then they have something going on. It's all dependent on the draft but it's unfair to be critical of them for shipping out high priced malcontents.

Okay. What are the route combinations and concepts that McVay designs and what is Watkins' role in the success of those who get all those targets? I'm sure you won't answer since you don't watch. Continue your boxscore assessment. :thumbsup:

No I wont answer because I don't know the answer. It doesn't matter. Do you even know the answer? Why don't you enlighten me because I have asked for your reasoning several times now and you have yet to answer it. Then answer what difference it makes. Glorified decoy is not a position worth paying high dollars to and a glorified decoy is surely not going to make it to the HoF.

Do you honestly think the Rams wanted to spend a second round pick on either a 1 year rental decoy or pay high dollars to a long term decoy? You can't seriously expect people to believe they don't want the greatest receiver in the NFL to not get targets, catches, yards, TDs.

Just got home from work. Glad we traded him. If Kyle retires he would be completely useless next season. Seems like Kyle is the only thing he plays for. Good player when right. Never right. Peace.

I looked through a couple pages of the thread and didn't see the answer to what I was wondering, so I'll ask. What's the cap hit next season? I thought there was a cap hit if traded. Or was it just a huge hit if we cut him?

The dead cap hit next season is $14M, but then he's off the books completely after that. We gain almost $6M in cap savings this year (that I am guessing is probably most likely to be rolled over into next year), and $2.3M next year.

How are we ever going to replace his amazing 4 solo tackles and 1 sack in 6 games?

Thankfully they found someone stupid enough to take that contract.

Too bad he turned into a great big turd,if he had dedicated himself he could have been real good.

Wait...we ONLY got a 6th rounder???????? I am all for this trade, but geezus, this isnt some scrub with no talent who is also coming off a good game. I hope its not just a 6th rounder, I mean thats as bad as when the Lakers got Gasol for nothing.

There isnt at least a WR, DB, OL, or even just multiple picks? If its only a 6th, I would have kept him, let him get a groove and increase his trade value then trade him at end of year. I really hope its not just a measly 6th rounder.

Who draws coverage from the opponents' #1 CB? It's not Woods, Kupp, or Austin. No impact though.

I've watch d every game. Virtually every single play the opposing team has a guy in press coverage against Watkins. Right at the line. I won't say at all he is double covered every play because he is not. But they almost always move the safeties to his side. That said, the Rams coach, McVay, is very clever with his formations and plays and play calling. And Gurley has been excellent. They have been moving down the field incrementally and making first downs and winning games for the most part. Kupp has been taking advantage of being ignored or allowed to run free in the middle. Woods has been open a lot. There is no need to really change what they are doing much. Goff has missed Sammy deep when he was open a few times but they are not targeting him and they don't really have to.