Why aren't the Bills getting more sacks?

I'm a little disappointed that our front 4 is not hitting the QB more. We're close a lot and we've had some strip sacks, but if we could get to the QB a split second sooner we'd be an elite defense. Coach Wauffle needs to find a way to turn the pass rush up a notch.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to post something similar. The lack of pressure is very concerning. The good teams will eat us alive unless we find a way to get to the QB better.

I'm a little disappointed that our front 4 is not hitting the QB more. We're close a lot and we've had some strip sacks, but if we could get to the QB a split second sooner we'd be an elite defense. Coach Wauffle needs to find a way to turn the pass rush up a notch.

sometimes QB pressure is as good as a sack. It caused 4 possible INT's, 2 made.

No, I'm not a relative of Rex Ryan

I'd prefer they didn't hit a QB a fraction of a second late and draw a flag.

Opposing coaches have enough film now to know how to slow down the pass rush (i.e. quick passes). Plus Frazier and McD insist on running a lot vanilla looks with little to no blitzing relying on the front four to generate pressure.

Also don't be surprised if more teams take a page out of the Bucs playbook and run the no huddle more against us, seems like we struggled big time with it yesterday especially in the 2nd half when the Bucs started scoring TD's instead of FG's.

A big issue it seems to me is lack of consistent push up the middle. Kyle does not seem to have the explosion he once had and Dareus, who they are paying to be that guy, is a shadow of his once dominating self, forcing them to use lesser players in that role. I expect a penetrating DT is going to be a very high priority in next year's draft. All great pass rushing teams have this.

Edited by MDFan

I was about to post something similar. The lack of pressure is very concerning. The good teams will eat us alive unless we find a way to get to the QB better.

Actually, they've been pretty good bringing pressure. It's the sacks that have been lacking. And there are far more knowledgeable D students - which I sure am not - around here who believe constant pressure is more important than sacks, probably because when QBs are constantly hurried, they tend to make turnovers, just as happened with JW yesterday. He easily could have two more INTs.

Actually, they've been pretty good bringing pressure. It's the sacks that have been lacking. And there are far more knowledgeable D students - which I sure am not - around here who believe constant pressure is more important than sacks, probably because when QBs are constantly hurried, they tend to make turnovers, just as happened with JW yesterday. He easily could have two more INTs.

This is how I see it, too. I am also not knowledgeable with regard to defenses, however.

I feel like the D is doing a great job stuffing the run and applying pressure to the QB.

What concerns me more than the lack of sacks is the number of missed tackles behind the LOS. We get our fair share; but we seem to miss a lot, too.

Everyone loves to see sacks but offenses have been getting the ball out quicker or having backs stay in and help. There were several pressures on Winston yesterday where he just threw the ball to get rid of it.....some he completed, others he didnt. Some QB's will stay stand there for an extra second to take the hit while giving their WR's time and others wont.

They have been getting pressure. It's just not translating into sacks. It's one of the reasons why we have the 2nd highest rating in defense for QBR, somewhere around 66 and its why the good teams haven't been eating us alive. Its also the reason why our secondary has looked for the most part pretty good. Things didn't look all that good yesterday, especially in the second half, but by that time EJ Gaines was out again. He is the thread that holds it all together in the secondary for us. without him we are in real trouble.

What is really frustrating me is during the game yesterday, there was several occasions where our best defensive players were on the sideline.....Hughes, K Williams and Dareus were together on the sideline. You want to rotate guys that's fine, but McD is going ex-stream with it and its effecting the defensive rhythm.

A big issue it seems to me is lack of consistent push up the middle. Kyle does not seem to have the explosion he once had and Dareus, who they are paying to be that guy, is a shadow of his once dominating self, forcing them to use lesser players in that role. I expect a penetrating DT is going to be a very high priority in next year's draft. All great pass rushing teams have this.

I think this is a very good possibility.

I also think that McDermott will target Star Lotuleilei in free agency.