Week 8: Raiders' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

@viccarucci

In our latest BNblitz Podcast, @JaySkurski & I preview #Bills-#Raiders. Get it here http://apple.co/2yP7KvR or here

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bncore/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/1026171.mp3 (49:00)

In the latest BNblitz Podcast, Vic Carucci and Jay Skurski preview one of the biggest Buffalo Bills game in a long time, Sunday's showdown against the Oakland Raiders at New Era Field.

Here's a breakdown of the topics they covered and where to find them:

00:00-11:40 - Big opportunity for the Bills to not only improve to 5-2, but take a significant step toward helping their chances of breaking the playoff drought.

11:40-19:42 - How will the secondary overcome injuries to safety Jordan Poyer and cornerback E.J. Gaines.

19:42-23:15 - Is the running game truly back?

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/26/bnblitz-podcast-vic-jay-preview-bills-big-game-vs-raiders/

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Norton Discusses Matchup With Buffalo (10:38)
Raiders Defensive Coordinator Ken Norton, Jr. addresses the media as the Raiders prepare for the Buffalo Bills.

Coach Downing: "We Need To Protect The Ball" (5:13)
Raiders Offensive Coordinator Todd Downing addresses the media as the Raiders prepare for the Buffalo Bills.

This is a nonsense argument. How do you know we didn't lose because we failed to score on several of our possessions that started after a punt or a kickoff? Are touchdowns scored after a takeaway worth more than touchdowns scored after the other team has punted the ball to you?

you may consider it nonsense and that is fine because it fits your apparent preconceived notions.

do you consider it coincedence that most of the teams that are at or near the top of the league in turnovers are often among the league leaders in wins/losses? why are turnovers considered to be an important part of the game?

if you can answer those two questions honestly, you will discover that the argument is not as nonsensical as your preconceived notions make it out to be.

Edited by Foxx

you may consider it nonsense and that is fine because it fits your apparent preconceived notions.

do you consider it coincedence that most of the teams that are at or near the top of the league in turnovers are often among the league leaders in wins/losses? why are turnovers considered to be an important part of the game?

if you can answer those two questions honestly, you will discover that the argument is not as nonsensical as your preconceived notions make it out to be.

I think you're getting confused. At no point did I say that turnovers aren't important. In fact, they are highly correlated with wins.

My one and only argument in this thread is that points off turnovers aren't any more important that any other kind of points. That seems like an obvious point, but apparently, folks have a hard time grasping it. Saying the Bills lost to the Bengals because they only scored once after getting a turnover, is like saying they lost because they only scored one passing touchdown. I guess technically it's true, but it's absolutely meaningless. The Bills also would have won if they had scored a touchdown on any of their drives that ended in punts or turnovers.

I think you're getting confused. At no point did I say that turnovers aren't important. In fact, they are highly correlated with wins.

My one and only argument in this thread is that points off turnovers aren't any more important that any other kind of points. That seems like an obvious point, but apparently, folks have a hard time grasping it. Saying the Bills lost to the Bengals because they only scored once after getting a turnover, is like saying they lost because they only scored one passing touchdown. I guess technically it's true, but it's absolutely meaningless. The Bills also would have won if they had scored a touchdown on any of their drives that ended in punts or turnovers.

your contention regarding scoring on other drives is well taken. however, i am not confused. one reason why turnovers are considered so important is because they are another opportunity to score. there are other reasons why they are important as well, such as depriving the other team an opportunity to score amongst them. the points off turnovers is pretty important though and one reason why it is kept track of.

Edited by Foxx

Bengals game (no weapons)

Bucs game (screwed up kicks and time)

Other then that we were solid

your contention regarding scoring on other drives is well taken. however, i am not confused. one reason why turnovers are considered so important is because they are another opportunity to score. there are other reasons as well, such as depriving the other team an opportunity to score amongst them. the points off turnovers is pretty important though and one reason why it is kept track of.

There are a lot of intangibles. Turnovers are a big momentum swing. A score after a turnover can increase that a lot. Also a lot of turnovers give the offense good to great field position. An inability to score somewhat negates the turnover. The scores themselves aren't different as any other. But I can see why people think it's important. Just the amount of times teams go for a big play immediately following one shows that.

There are a lot of intangibles. Turnovers are a big momentum swing. A score after a turnover can increase that a lot. Also a lot of turnovers give the offense good to great field position. An inability to score somewhat negates the turnover. The scores themselves aren't different as any other. But I can see why people think it's important. Just the amount of times teams go for a big play immediately following one shows that.

an inability to take advantage of a turnover by scoring, can be just as big a momentum swing the other way too. like you said, intangibles.

It feels like there is a little something different yeah, but I've also told myself that before in season's past. I'm just not ready to quite drink the kool aid yet. A little too early for me. But can tell a big difference in discipline and the way they are getting coached up this time around.

I'm going to need to see a little more before i partake in the kool aid as of right now though.

as well we all should.

But pessimism should be trending downward

all three please

correct answer.

your contention regarding scoring on other drives is well taken. however, i am not confused. one reason why turnovers are considered so important is because they are another opportunity to score. there are other reasons why they are important as well, such as depriving the other team an opportunity to score amongst them. the points off turnovers is pretty important though and one reason why it is kept track of.

i am a simple minded one.

turnovers are drive stoppers. anything on top of that would be cherries.

pressures are as good as sacks when they cause turnovers.

now, manipulating turnovers in to point is a whole 'nother matter Lucy.

And that really comes back to offense and momentum.

they might be tied statistically to define success rates.

but to expect that is pretty lofty. and Bills love TOP anyways

Part of the reason why TOs are correlated with wins is likely the resulting field position. We have struggled using that field position at times this year. I think it's a fair criticism.

This is a reasonable point. I am not sure Bills have not used field position strategically as well as they could have.

it is a fair statement.

Bills Offense has obviously struggled all season. in my eye at least.

improve the offense ? you might improve the ratio of TOs to scores.

Bills have yet to find their proper footing, whether play calling or players dressed.

I don't worry over such personally Y O

Game Day Experience Information: Week 8

Abbott Road Closing: 8:00 a.m.

Gates Open: 11:30 a.m.

Pregame: Hometown Heroes Ceremony, honoring local first responders

Player Warm-Ups: 11:55 a.m.

Stampede Performance: 12:45 p.m.

Leader of the Charge: Paul Maguire – Bills Alumnus

National Anthem Singer: Amaris Bullock – Christian/gospel artist

Kickoff: 1:00 p.m.

Halftime Ceremony: Cookie Gilchrist Wall of Fame Induction Ceremony

Paul Maguire is still alive??

an inability to take advantage of a turnover by scoring, can be just as big a momentum swing the other way too. like you said, intangibles.

depends on where the other Offense take over. if you are within your home (30) yards and get the turnover you just saved a field goal attempt.

and if you can pin pin them inside the ten with a punt after turnover....

etc etc

Raiders Coordinators Look Ahead To Buffalo
Check out what Oakland Raiders Offensive Coordinator Todd Downing and Defensive Coordinator Ken Norton, Jr., had to say during their media availability Thursday.

Elijah Hood: "It's Time To Show What You've Been Practicing"
Promoted to the active roster earlier this week, Elijah Hood is looking to make the most of his opportunity against the Bills.

10-27: PRESTON BROWN ON WGR (9:15)

#Bills linebacker Preston Brown (@PB_Number2) joins Howard Simon right now on WGR! Tune in:

Brown - feels good to have a winning record, but we have to keep improving, find ways to win. Hopefully we can keep pushing out wins #Bills

Brown - everybody on defense has to step up, but no one has to step outside of their game. Hope we can keep up with taking the ball away

Brown - Derek Carr controls everything on offense. He's definitely one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL #Bills

Brown - the Raiders have some good backs outside of Marshawn Lynch. We have to do what we can to limit the run game. #Bills

Brown - Lamar Jackson is a great QB. They don't ask him to do much, but it works. Think he has the arm, and he's capable of being a NFL QB

I don't know if it's better for us to rain or not. On one end I think that it'll slow the Raiders pass offense down. On the other end...our pass rush slows down with a wet field.

Worst part of wet conditions is for the DBs....a lot harder to keep up with WRs out of their breaks. Running zone helps that though

Worst part of wet conditions is for the DBs....a lot harder to keep up with WRs out of their breaks. Running zone helps that though

I think the worst position group in wet weather is the DL--they don't know the snap count, and then they have to anchor against a bunch of 300-pounders that have momentum.

I think the worst position group in wet weather is the DL--they don't know the snap count, and then they have to anchor against a bunch of 300-pounders that have momentum.

also good point....which is more fodder for the idea that wet conditions favor offenses

Raiders secondary injuries worsen

The Raiders were already dealing with a couple of cornerback injuries, but at the very least it was anticipated that starting S Karl Joseph would be able to return from a groin injury to play Sunday against the Bills. But Joseph went from a limited participant on Wednesday to a non-participant Thursday.

More will be known based on Joseph’s status at practice later today, but if he can’t play Erik Harris is his backup on Oakland’s depth chart. Keith McGill is the other backup safety and then there’s rookie Shalom Luani.

Meanwhile starting CB David Amerson is looking less and less likely to play due to a foot injury. His backup, rookie Gareon Conley continues to be sidelined by a shin injury.

@BuffaloBillsPR

#RoundingUpTheHerd: The Bills are looking to extend a franchise record and score 20+ points at @newerafield in the 13th straight game Sunday

DNJdpGfX4AAvqSD.jpg

@BaxFootballGuru

#Raiders at #Bills: Preview, prediction, odds, pick

https://fansided.com/2017/10/27/raiders-bills-preview-prediction-odds-pick/

Led by quarterback Derek Carr, the Oakland Raiders are more than capable of putting points on the board. But they have been erratic, to say the least, totaling 102 points in their three wins and a combined 53 points in four setbacks. Look for Carr to take advantage of the Buffalo Bills’ secondary on occasion but also look for McDermott’s pass rush to have an impact. And some late heroics by kicker Steven Hauschka closes the deal.

Pick: Bills 20, Raiders 17

"The Bills are looking to extend a franchise record and score 20+ points at @newerafield in the 13th straight game Sunday"

Longest active streak in the NFL.

That is a great stat. Consistently winning at home and stealing some road games is how good teams operate. The improvement on defense is translating to home field wins.

"The Bills are looking to extend a franchise record and score 20+ points at @newerafield in the 13th straight game Sunday"

Longest active streak in the NFL.

That is a great stat. Consistently winning at home and stealing some road games is how good teams operate. The improvement on defense is translating to home field wins.

As much as you like to see it .... its when things fall apart .

Lik ehte announcers Jor Blow never misses from this distance ,,, bam he hooks it

I'm just pushing for extending the already record breaking Win count for Bills HC's @ home to 4

MIAMI AT BALTIMORE 4 - 2 in favor of Miami

OAKLAND AT BUFFALO 5-1 I get nervous when they pick Buff. I prefer the underdog role.

I'd rather say they were wrong than right.