Tyrod Taylor held to higher standard bc he's black ?

is it not time to rise above the past? i mean if we keep living in the past are we not doomed to relive/repeat it? rhetorical really, no response needed. this is a deep and many sided argument and persuasive arguments can be made on many sides.

mistakes litter human history and likely are to litter the future as well. rise above them and strive to be better.

if you do not recognize the Past, how will you learn to improve today and tomorrow

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rorschach test

well not really. But i get your drift.

J is almost always checking us.

His efforts are worthwhile, although gruff and sometimes incomplete. But be not fooled by that. He has a viable method.

I respect his effort. Moreso lately.

Dialogue. Even harsh, is the Democratic process this Country was founded upon.

Well said. TT won't be in the league in 2 years. If for any reason he is, he'll be holding a clipboard. Has nothing to do with the *&^%^& color of his skin.

Taylor and EJ Manuel and others will be in the league a long time because they are good guys (by all accounts), bring it every time they are tasked to do so, practice well, focus on football and treat it like their job.

Manuel could be in the league 10 more years the way I figure. Taylor could and should easily be in 3-4 more years.

well not really. But i get your drift.

J is almost always checking us.

His efforts are worthwhile, although gruff and sometimes incomplete. But be not fooled by that. He has a viable method.

I respect his effort. Moreso lately.

Dialogue. Even harsh, is the Democratic process this Country was founded upon.

this guy is an idiot. ;)

How about the Clay quote? Insinuating TT gets treated unfairly and wants to succeed for him.

If I'm McBaldy I'm shipping these two clowns out of town as soon as possible.

Clay also realizes inequality has a force of it's own inertia.

Clay is supporting his QB, Teammate and brother in arms.

nothing wrong that when team building

Taylor and EJ Manuel and others will be in the league a long time because they are good guys (by all accounts), bring it every time they are tasked to do so, practice well, focus on football and treat it like their job.

Manuel could be in the league 10 more years the way I figure. Taylor could and should easily be in 3-4 more years.

this guy is an idiot. ;)

freely admittedly so

Interesting comments originally from a Buffalo News interview.

"(Criticism) is always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am - an African-American quarterback. Look across the league, man. We're held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect."

Taylor wonders why black quarterbacks are labeled as "mobile" while white quarterbacks like Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr are considered "pocket passers" despite often using their athleticism to extend drives.

"Even though they're 'mobile' guys, they don't necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair."

Thoughts?

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/14/bills-tyrod-taylor-believes-hes-held-to-a-higher-standard-because-hes-african-american/

The fact of the matter is if not for his mobility he would probably be home on Sunday watching the games on TV like the rest of us !

Hes a hard worker and a great athlete nobody is denying that .

I'm pretty sure that 99% of the Bills fans could care less about the color of his skin , his religious beliefs or his political views,

Whats UNFAIR is that we are stuck watching a QB who can't lead this team to the playoffs, who keeps time/time again proving us that he's nothing more the a BACKUP ,

How about the Clay quote? Insinuating TT gets treated unfairly and wants to succeed for him.

If I'm McBaldy I'm shipping these two clowns out of town as soon as possible.

Yeah, that's "common sense". :rolleyes:

Blame McDermott for gutting the WR corps this offseason........it's put a ton of pressure on Taylor and McCoy as defenses can focus on the action near the LOS.........and created a situation where it's very difficult to fairly evaluate their play.

If anyone thinks Tyrod Taylor is held to a higher standard because he's black, they should just look at our attitude towards our previous 15 QBs.

Either we love to hate for no good reason, or we have been subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.

Or possibly both....

Edited by Augie

serious question. Does my opinion or do my statements mean any less or more than yours regarding this whole matter? Do your statements, your offense to my statements or anything of the like differ at all one bit?

What I am getting at it what so many of the racially charged and cognitively distorted miss out on.

Even if you are offended by what I said it does not mean I have any less or more ability to speak [though, the first amendment doesn't apply here because this is a private Enterprise]

And, for once or maybe thrice I'm posting seriously. Because, please remember I say 99.36% of what I do in order to goof around.

There is no serious football being discussed right now on this site, sadly.

I don't mind having disagreements with people, as that is going to happen with everybody... and I never try to censor others because I would not want to be censored for how I think. I am a very objective person and can respect all points of view, as I do in this situation, whether I agree or not.

My issue more has to do with the name calling and insults, and the debasing of the conversation in the name of "trying to be funny". A person that knows you may recognize your attempt at humor, while another that doesn't know you so well may think of you as obnoxious and ignorant.

Now, you might not care either way, but perhaps you would have a more positive effect in getting your message across if your methods were a little different- specifically in such a hot button topic...but that is entirely up to you...and I'm not saying you need to change- but just know that people will respond accordingly.

....understand your viewpoint 'Crispy.......read your stuff all of the time and never knew you were a black man.......would NOT have made a damn bit of difference anyway.....likewise, I'm of Italian ancestry....probably would not have made a difference to you if you read or respond to my posts....if so, I cannot change that.......this Taylor kid, regardless of skin color, is a hard working ethical SOB trying to realize his dream to be a starting NFL QB.....is he struggling at this level?...most do......is it because of skin color?......that would be Asinine 101 School of Ignorance....do I hope he makes it?...damn right....will he?..stay. tuned......BTW how do you hate someone you do not even know who has never personally wronged you?.....even MORE effed up IMO............

Ya know I was really disappointed to hear this from Tyrod- he comes across as such a stand up guy - and his statement just sounds like he is making excuses...to me people bashing him for his low production isn't "holding him to a higher standard", but rather the same standard that everyone else is held to imo- it kind of sounds like he wants us to LOWER our expectations of him and just be OK with his low production because he is black...hopefully there is more context to the quote because as of right now it just seems a little disappointing.

PS Jc did Tyrod say he hated someone that never wronged him? I just didn't understand what you were referring to at the end of your post. Thanks.

Edited by JaCrispy

Yeah, that's "common sense". :rolleyes:

Blame McDermott for gutting the WR corps this offseason........it's put a ton of pressure on Taylor and McCoy as defenses can focus on the action near the LOS.........and created a situation where it's very difficult to fairly evaluate their play.

Easy fella...

The well was dry when they showed up and the only thing they did was ship out Samantha. Who has done absolutely nothing this year. They weren't going to pay him and they recouped some value.

ZZZZZ. I have never seen you post so much in one day. I'm going to assume someone stole your password and you didn't stick your head up your ass.

Edited by Commonsense

I don't care if the QB is white or black. I look at performance. In my eyes TT is average and we need better than average. Yes he's smart with the football and doesn't turn it over often but he also seems reluctant to try to fit the ball into tight windows.

I'm not asking for Aaron Rodgers but I'd like try to find a guy more like that.

I don't care if the QB is white or black. I look at performance. In my eyes TT is average and we need better than average. Yes he's smart with the football and doesn't turn it over often but he also seems reluctant to try to fit the ball into tight windows.

Couldn't agree more

Tight windows?? He doesnt throw to a window....he throws to a man who is open, and thats he problem. He doesnt throw receivers open. Must be McDermotts fault.

I referenced an interesting article I've posted a few times through the years- with the rockets gm talking about how appearance biases effected scouts (we compare guys to other players they look like - not just on tape but physically too)

He forces scouts to finish phrases like "the prospect has a first step similar to..." with players of different race to avoid lazy comparisons.

You can point at these coaches, gms, and scouts as immune but we watch them fall victim to all kinds of silly biases or bad decision making processes

I wouldn't say they are immune -- all people have all kinds of social biases and we construct our lives around them every day.

And yes there's a group-think mentality toward player evaluation in the NFL (which is how you get Brady and Wilson drafted where they were), but people trying to extrapolate that into 'Taylor was a first round talent drafted in the sixth round because all white GMs think black quarterbacks can't read defenses' or even worse, 'the Bills are sabotaging their QB because he's black', is absurd.

I wouldn't say they are immune -- all people have all kinds of social biases and we construct our lives around them every day.

And yes there's a group-think mentality toward player evaluation in the NFL (which is how you get Brady and Wilson drafted where they were), but people trying to extrapolate that into 'Taylor was a first round talent drafted in the sixth round because all white GMs think black quarterbacks can't read defenses' or even worse, 'the Bills are sabotaging their QB because he's black', is absurd.

Extrapolate? Extrapolate????

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/14/bills-tyrod-taylor-believes-hes-held-to-a-higher-standard-because-hes-african-american/

Last year it was the media's fault when he sucked. Now he's being held to higher standard because he's black ?

He almost makes as many excuses as the fanatical taylorheads here. Try not being at the bottom of qb ranking lists. Leave the race nonsense alone.

"Haters" disappear when you're actually good at your craft like Cam, Jameis, Watson, and Wilson.

I have long held that he is a poor NFL QB, now he is also a victim?

Tyrod - Note: Let us know how this works out for you next year when ur resigned as a backup, which is what you are...

Playing the race card rarely goes well..

I also remember exactly zero folks around draft time saying anything about how TT dropped because he was black. If his talent was so apparent, how did no one know how good he was until the Bills played him for two years?

I don't mind having disagreements with people, as that is going to happen with everybody... and I never try to censor others because I would not want to be censored for how I think. I am a very objective person and can respect all points of view, as I do in this situation, whether I agree or not.

My issue more has to do with the name calling and insults, and the debasing of the conversation in the name of "trying to be funny". A person that knows you may recognize your attempt at humor, while another that doesn't know you so well may think of you as obnoxious and ignorant.

Now, you might not care either way, but perhaps you would have a more positive effect in getting your message across if your methods were a little different- specifically in such a hot button topic...but that is entirely up to you...and I'm not saying you need to change- but just know that people will respond accordingly.

Ya know I was really disappointed to hear this from Tyrod- he comes across as such a stand up guy - and his statement just sounds like he is making excuses...to me people bashing him for his low production isn't "holding him to a higher standard", but rather the same standard that everyone else is held to imo- it kind of sounds like he wants us to LOWER our expectations of him and just be OK with his low production because he is black...hopefully there is more context to the quote because as of right now it just seems a little disappointing.

PS Jc did Tyrod say he hated someone that never wronged him? I just didn't understand what you were referring to at the end of your post. Thanks.

Well said

thank you. Your opinion is respected and noted. And I am being sincere

Frankly I dont disagree with this......I will say that more this year then in past years he as been

- Throwing to his TE

- Throwing over the middle

- Throwing from the pocket

- Fitting the ball into tight spaces

- Throwing the ball out of bounds instead of taking negative sacks

- Is making plays despite not having a dominate running game like he had the last 2 seasons

He still has the same issues of not making anticipatory throws and holding the ball too long....that is not desputable.....and perhaps we do need more even with the D making a major jump.....but Tyrod is being given the chance to make his case prior to next year's draft and the bills have set themselves up with both an out away from Tyrod AND ammunition to get a qb

Easy fella...

The well was dry when they showed up and the only thing they did was ship out Samantha. Who has done absolutely nothing this year. They weren't going to pay him and they recouped some value.

ZZZZZ. I have never seen you post so much in one day. I'm going to assume someone stole your password and you didn't stick your head up your ass.

Stop trying to kiss up ball washer, you quit I didn't fire you. :thumbsup:

This new girl Kimberley Martin is something. Refers to Newton's inane statement about scaring people because "they haven't seen nothing they can compare me to" - as if the men who came before him like Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Doug Williams, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, Mike Vick, etc. never existed - as "truths".

+1....the mic just dropped.

You're an idiot.

The triangle trade and specifically the raced based slavery involving the African race is a different animal and, probably with the exception of Jews, is largely unprecedented in human history.

But thank you for the history lesson.

No, it didn't. It was basically invented by the Egyptians, so it's existed since the dawn of civilization.

Absolutely absurd. Taylor was a typical one-read/running QB at VT, which is why he wasn't considered a serious QB candidate in the NFL. Where is your theory in regards to EJ Manual, a 4th round talent who was taken mid-first? And why didn't the black GM draft Taylor in the 2d, 3d, 4th or 5th if he was such a supreme talent?

The only thing as ignorant and pathetic as outright racism are the people who refuse to acknowledge that racial (and all social) attitudes have shifted enormously in the last 50 years.

To argue that coaches and FO guys who work in a league where over half the players are black and whose careers depend entirely on success would rather draft an inferior player because of race is honestly the most ignorant thing I have ever read on this board.

Of course, you can just look at the 2001 combine reports and the draft itself, and ask why the VA Tech QB who was projected as a pro RB was discriminated against because of race, when Newton was taken first and Kaep taken in the second round. :wacko:

I also remember exactly zero folks around draft time saying anything about how TT dropped because he was black. If his talent was so apparent, how did no one know how good he was until the Bills played him for two years?

You obviously didnt watch the 30 for 30

It was right there and documented.....Tyrod Taylor had a fantastic combine in the athletism department and his agent went right to him and said he was being asked if Tyrod would like to change his position to wide receiver because of his physical talents. Tyrod stuck to his guns and wanted to be drafted as a quarterback,

Lets also say this...Tyrod comeing up of college was NOT Michael Vick....he had qb deficiencies that he actually worked on while with Baltimore and he grew as a qb.....qbs mature at different rates and are often drafted based on potential.....and he was viewed as a certain kind of player and THAT is why he fell in the draft...not specically because he was black but because of the athlete stereotypel he fell into.

Tyrod has lasted longer then ALL the qbs drafted in front of him and has had greater success......he IS a good NFL qb even if he is not a franchise player

It was right there and documented.....Tyrod Taylor had a fantastic combine in the athletism department and his agent went right to him and said he was being asked if Tyrod would like to change his position to wide receiver because of his physical talents. Tyrod stuck to his guns and wanted to be drafted as a quarterback,

Lets also say this...Tyrod comeing up of college was NOT Michael Vick....he had qb deficiencies that he actually worked on while with Baltimore and he grew as a qb.....qbs mature at different rates and are often drafted based on potential.....and he was viewed as a certain kind of player and THAT is why he fell in the draft...not specically because he was black but because of the athlete stereotypel he fell into.

Tyrod has lasted longer then ALL the qbs drafted in front of him and has had greater success......he IS a good NFL qb even if he is not a franchise player

That's not relevant to anything I said.

JFC John.

Tyrod also has not had greater success than Cam Newton. WTF are you talking about.

Edited by jmc12290

Please quantify this growth and success of which you speak.

Because, from what I can see, he's not gotten better in 7 years and he hasn't been (or made his team) successful in the least.

And before you even write it, because I know you will, alternate pro bowl doesn't mean schit. It means about as much as best dressed, which is the only thing he's found success in.

Please quantify this growth and success of which you speak.

Because, from what I can see, he's not gotten better in 7 years and he hasn't been (or made his team) successful in the least.

And before you even write it, because I know you will, alternate pro bowl doesn't mean schit. It means about as much as best dressed, which is the only thing he's found success in.

How do you know he hasn't gotten better when he wasn't on the field? I'll let the year play out and see how it goes. He's 2.25 years in as a starter. The scheme will be his downfall. It's a poor fit, period. It's like it's designed to make him fail. I think he's a middle of the pack guy. I hope for better at the most important position.

How do you know he hasn't gotten better when he wasn't on the field? I'll let the year play out and see how it goes. He's 2.25 years in as a starter. The scheme will be his downfall. It's a poor fit, period. It's like it's designed to make him fail. I think he's a middle of the pack guy. I hope for better at the most important position.

Augie, I'm sorry, man. But this is just more excuses for him not being good. He's a quality backup. He's not a starter.