[Vague Title]kuechly

nuklz2594

The writing is clearly on the walls, ceiling, floor and furniture... This sport is fading fast. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Football will continue to erode from the pee-wee level up as parents protect their kids from getting their heads scrambled.

Has me wondering when we might see a talent drop off. I figure the freshman players currently playing in college are still the best of the best athletes. They started playing football in 7th or 8th grade or even younger and long before this CTE thing really go going. Maybe even this years senior class in high school is still the best athletes too and perhaps next years class. But real soon the number of top athletes playing the sport at the high school level is going to start declining annually.

But then the next question is will we notice a decline in play? If the skill sets on both sides of the ball decline equally I would think we wouldn't really notice a drop in level of play as the competition level would still be equal.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has me wondering when we might see a talent drop off. I figure the freshman players currently playing in college are still the best of the best athletes. They started playing football in 7th or 8th grade or even younger and long before this CTE thing really go going. Maybe even this years senior class in high school is still the best athletes too and perhaps next years class. But real soon the number of top athletes playing the sport at the high school level is going to start declining annually.

But then the next question is will we notice a decline in play? If the skill sets on both sides of the ball decline equally I would think we wouldn't really notice a drop in level of play as the competition level would still be equal.

My 14 year old son is a pretty good athlete and was a good football player. He got a concussion last season and decided to stop playing football and focus on basketball and baseball. I loved watching him play but I did not try and change his mind...

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read.

The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read.

The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

I knew exactly what the topic would be before I ever opened the thread. And as far as Lukes career goes, I think he should hang them up.

I knew exactly what the topic would be before I ever opened the thread. And as far as Lukes career goes, I think he should hang them up.

Yep. Anyone who watched the game yesterday would know.

Im sure hes aware of the risks. If he wants to keep playing then thats his decision.

Agree with this as well. Teams could shy away from him too though if an owner or GM feels that is their responsibility to look out for a players long term well being.

I think you'll start seeing a further socio-economic divide with the game. The wealthy will push their kids in a different direction and eventually the funding will follow. 20 years from now it will surprise me if it's recognizable to today's game.

I think you'll start seeing a further socio-economic divide with the game. The wealthy will push their kids in a different direction and eventually the funding will follow. 20 years from now it will surprise me if it's recognizable to today's game.

Yeah, I can see a guy who makes $100 million ($500,000 per game), get suspended for smoking weed, racing a sports car and cracking it up, telling his kid to not pursue a career as a football player. #tubogoo

Not really related, but has anyone else noticed how in pretty much every game I watch the stadium's aren't full?

Yeah, I can see a guy who makes $100 million ($500,000 per game), get suspended for smoking weed, racing a sports car and cracking it up, telling his kid to not pursue a career as a football player. #tubogoo

I think you'll start seeing football decline in Texas and California specifically. The parents that are bankrolling their kids private QB coaches will have their kids go in a different direction.

Still doesnt excuse the laziness of a one-word, non-descriptive thread title. Mods use that auto response for a reason.

I believe people have their own right to decide what to do with their bodies. Does it make sense for him to retire, probably, but it's his choice.

I only hope they get better with helmets as it seems like the league is doing everything possible to protect players, but it's a violent sport. I just don't see how they'll ever get rid of concussions unless they turn the NFL into flag football.

We're not in Russia...is this Russia? The risks of playing football are plastered all over the media these days. If the kid wants to come back and play again why should the league stop him? The current NFL players have great health insurance, make a ton of money and if they develop CTE they understand the risks. The young man certainly is an exceptional player and so long as he maintains a high level of skill and can feed himself, why should he be banned from playing again. Talk about NFLPA lawsuits, if the league ever passed that as a rule they'd be sued quicker than a DE through the right side of our line.

What if he wants to take a knee? Out TIC has issued a proclamation on that topic.

Imagine having to make that decision...

On one hand, you're set for life moneywise and don't need the cash.

On the other hand, you've been a star your whole life and playing football defines you. The camaraderie, leadership role, thrill of competition, possible hall of fame induction, very tough to give up.

Maybe I'd go with the Kelso helmet (which they all should wear) and go one more round. If I get concussed at 4th time I hang it up

The competition level may be equal, but the quality of games will be piss poor. Imagine a league ten times worse in quality on the field than the CFL (I like watching CFL, but it's pretty sloppy at times).

Also, it's not like everyone will stop their kids from playing football. Many, if not most may, but I'm sure some won't, and their child could be the next coming of Bruce Smith. He would absolutely dominate in a league with lesser competition.