McD: Dareus in competition with Thornton for starting role

YoloinOhio

hmmmm

That is a very interesting article.

I still wonder if another NFL team is willing to make a trade for Dareus.

The bye week will be a most interesting time for us.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very interesting piece. Thanks for the link. It really sucks that he seems incapable of motivating himself to play to his talent level, although to be fair I do think that he's playing hurt right now.

I like this move, it motivates Dareus without putting him on the spot completely (He has an excuse with the injury.) I think McD plays whoever is playing the best. Let Dareus know that he needs to produce in order to get the snaps. It also lets Thornton know that if he produces he gets the snaps. I expect Dareus to be a backup snaps count wise in Cincy but if he can't get it in gear after a bye week and back to back weeks of limited snaps then I think Dareus isn't longed for this team.

Agreed, plus i'd hope that MD realizes that this is hurting his future market value. even if we find a sucker partner to take his contract on, he's not going to get another contract like this one

Is it beyond hope that Dareus could wake up one morning and be the old Dareus that was causing havoc for opposing offenses?

I mean, this could be a special season. You would think he would be motivated by possibly being part of not only a winning team, but THE team to break the drought and finally get to the postseason.

IF they can do that it will be a magical season and that stadium will be unreal. How could that NOT motivate a football player?

Edited by TheFunPolice

very interesting piece. Thanks for the link. It really sucks that he seems incapable of motivating himself to play to his talent level, although to be fair I do think that he's playing hurt right now.

I don't know...he looked like he was playing hard on Sunday for sure.

The issue with dealing him isn't that teams won't be willing to take on his contract, especially if they expect they can get the production out of him that he had during his first few years. Teams will give up something to get him (might not be great, or something where we are all happy cause it will be viewed as a fair deal, but it will be something)

The problem is that the bills can't do anything right now to trade him without absorbing a huge cap hit because of the acceleration of the bonus money they gave him. If it wasn't for that, they probably would have done it already. But because it is a huge amount they have to absorb now and can't spread over time, it's preventing them from moving him.

He isn't someone that's immovable, teams will be looking to make offers if they make him available, but they can't afford it under the cap this year

I like this move, it motivates Dareus without putting him on the spot completely (He has an excuse with the injury.) I think McD plays whoever is playing the best. Let Dareus know that he needs to produce in order to get the snaps. It also lets Thornton know that if he produces he gets the snaps. I expect Dareus to be a backup snaps count wise in Cincy but if he can't get it in gear after a bye week and back to back weeks of limited snaps then I think Dareus isn't longed for this team.

No, it doesn't. he doesn't care

Good for Mcdermott. You dont want to buy in. Fine. Theres the door. You can go elsewhere and give 50%.

Agreed, plus i'd hope that MD realizes that this is hurting his future market value. even if we find a sucker partner to take his contract on, he's not going to get another contract like this one

With 60 mill guaranteed he doesnt need another contract like this one.

I don't know if this applies to Dareus, but I don't know how many people here are aware that many NFL players don't actually like playing football. It hurts - a lot. I'll never forget hearing an interview with Chargers D-lineman Burt Grossman on the Jim Rome show over two decades ago. In response to the question of how much he still loved the game (he was nearing the end of his very solid 6 year career, in which he had 43.5 sacks), he essentially said that he never liked playing in the NFL and only did it for the money. Rome then asked him if college was the last time he liked playing. He said he hated playing in college too (he went to Pitt and was drafted 8th overall in the first round). He closed by saying that the last time he liked playing football was in high school. He had stuck with it because of the money.

Kris Jenkins' NYT piece from a few years back is quite revealing about the punishment DTs take: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/sports/football/kris-jenkinss-view-of-life-in-the-nfl-trenches.html .

Consider all of this when thinking about Dareus, who is effectively set for life. The only financially stupid thing Dareus could do at this point is retire, because he'd forfeit millions of dollars. Even if he's unmotivated, he needs to stick it out to collect that cash. Again, I don't know if he hates playing football, but he might. We as fans are justified in not liking this, but this sort of situation is more common than you might think. It's why teams are terrified of guaranteed contracts. This ain't MLB w/regard to "love of the game."

Edited by dave mcbride

Heard them talking yesterday on ESPN about NE's troubles on defense and maybe they need to think about trading Jimmy Garoppolo

would you trade him for Darius straight up? Assuming he agreed to an extension prior to making the deal.

NE is maybe the one place that wouldn't be scared off by his salary and also the one place that may be able to straighten him out. I'm sure Gilmore could help him adapt! :lol: