Bills up to #3 in USA Today power rankings

YoloinOhio

Wow I don't understand 3rd really.

But it's fun to see/read about. We are 14th in another one I saw earlier today, and I think thats probably more reflective of our real ranking. We have beaten great teams so far, but it's hard to give this team the benefit of the doubt right now.

By the time we get to the bye I think we have a better idea. It's so much our style to lose these next 2 to CIN and TB, so once I see those I will feel more informed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nfl.com has them up 8 positions, at 7. ahead of the patsies**, panthers and broncos. yet the dirty birds dropped 2 to 4th?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000855928/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-lions-eagles-soar-into-top-three

RANK

BUF.png

3-1 BILLS

Surprised? Don't be. Not when the Bills' defense allows all of 54 points in four games. That's fewer than 14 points per -- and yes, tops in the NFL. Buffalo did receive a bit of luck, with theFalcons losing both of their starting wide receivers. But to the Bills' credit, they got after Matt Ryanso fiercely that no one on the Atlanta offense could step up and answer the bell. It felt like Ryan's pocket collapsed on nearly every play. (Probably because it was collapsing on nearly every play.) Kudos to Tyrod Taylor, too -- despite throwing for just 182 yards, he averaged over 9 yards per throw. So when do the Bills play the Chiefs?

so we were the 3rd worst at the start and after 1 quarter of the season we are 3rd best? hmmm ok. i remember with Trent when we started undefeated we were ranked #1, which made it that much more heartbreaking when we didn't even make it to the freakin playoffs. just get to 10 wins and then we can talk about our ranking

Edited by kdiggz

It's not supposed to be a who's best / worst in the league type ranking (although maybe some are like that, there's so many)...it's who has momentum this week, vs their upcoming opponent, based on their recent play, and how they have done vs spread (Bills are 4-0 vs spread I believe) and it's mainly meant as foil for betting lines

So with Bills being currently close to a toss-up line for the game in Cinci they actually shouldn't be that high logically but they do surprise vs expectations so some rankings will have them higher than others; if the bookies/bettors decide the high power rankers are probably right the line should move to a favour for Buf this week, if not the line won't change

It's not supposed to be a who's best / worst in the league type ranking (although maybe some are like that, there's so many)...it's who has momentum this week, vs their upcoming opponent, based on their recent play, and how they have done vs spread (Bills are 4-0 vs spread I believe) and it's mainly meant as foil for betting lines

So with Bills being currently close to a toss-up line for the game in Cinci they actually shouldn't be that high logically but they do surprise vs expectations so some rankings will have them higher than others; if the bookies/bettors decide the high power rankers are probably right the line should move to a favour for Buf this week, if not the line won't change

WHAT! No.

These rankings are for entertainment. Vegas and the betting lines dictate the way billions of dollars are bet each year.

The rankings don't rank with line makers.

Edited by Commonsense

so we were the 3rd worst at the start and after 1 quarter of the season we are 3rd best? hmmm ok. i remember with Trent when we started undefeated we were ranked #1, which made it that much more heartbreaking when we didn't even make it to the freakin playoffs. just get to 10 wins and then we can talk about our ranking

You must be Mike Schopp. Bringing up Trent was the first thing he said after we beat the Falcons.

That's insane. We're in the 10-15 range right now imo. We just lack the offensive fire power to justify that spot no matter who we beat.

These rankings are just a week to week " who's playing well" type deal. Can change in an instant. I think your overall assessment is correct. The Bills don't have the kind of skill players or offensive threat to be the 3rd best team in the NFL when all is said and done. View power rankings with a large grain of salt, regardless of who they put on top.

not sure you caught the "meaningless fun" part eh

Oh, I caught it Yolo.

But you know its not just that for a lot of people. The first guy who responded to me was all up in arms because "we need to enjoy this."

Of we're enjoying the wins. But don't even bother reading rankings right now.

A part of me is excited to begin getting this recognition.

A part of me is nervous thinking this can get to some of our players egos and we drop off.

And then a part of me trusts the coaches and leadership on the team to ground these thoughts and focus solely on defeating the Cincinnati Bengals.

You must be Mike Schopp. Bringing up Trent was the first thing he said after we beat the Falcons.

It's important to keep that perspective.

I'd love to see this offense really start to move. Then I'd talk about the Bills being a top 5 team.

This is a brand new team catching the league by surprise. Let's see what happens midway through the season, which is when the league starts catching on

These rankings are just a week to week " who's playing well" type deal. Can change in an instant. I think your overall assessment is correct. The Bills don't have the kind of skill players or offensive threat to be the 3rd best team in the NFL when all is said and done. View power rankings with a large grain of salt, regardless of who they put on top.

Apparently and USA Today was an outlier in this case as a ranking from 8 to 15 is about where we should be. Walterfootball has us at #17 citing Julio's injury as the reason we lost the game. He has us a bit too low. There's a lot of mediocre teams out there right now and only the Chiefs are undefeated through four weeks so you're going to see a lot of fluctuation.

Apparently and USA Today was an outlier in this case as a ranking from 8 to 15 is about where we should be. Walterfootball has us at #17 citing Julio's injury as the reason we lost the game. He has us a bit too low. There's a lot of mediocre teams out there right now and only the Chiefs are undefeated through four weeks so you're going to see a lot of fluctuation.

I'm OK with 5-8.

Up at 3 and a loss - you will see this

We were fooled by the Bills and wont make that mistake again.

Actually I am convinced he is Jerry. Did Mike and Jerry have a love child?

Losing Humber and Mathews is going to be a problem

Humber was especially playing well after being relegated to special teams like Lorenzo.