I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

Agree with all. Young man is struggling. Yips, confidence, adjustment - call it wall you will. He needs some positive mojo. But once he gets squared away I think his floor is to be a solid NFL receiver and his ceiling is to be a very, very good one. Let's give the rook a break and let him work through it. One of the reasons I have some optimism for the offense is that Matthews and TT likely are just finding their timing and getting to know each other. Zay is contributing Zip. Both those receivers should improve steadily over the course of the season as they play together in the offense with TT and the others.

@MatthewFairburn

Why Jordan Matthews, Buffalo Bills coaches haven't lost confidence in Zay Jones: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/why_jordan_matthews_buffalo_bills_coaches_havent_lost_confidence_in_zay_jones.html

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- Jordan Matthews wonders if his draft class might have screwed everything up.

Before the 2014 rookie class of wide receivers, which included Odell Beckham Jr., Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Brandon Cooks and Matthews, there was a rule out wide receivers. Generally speaking, it took a wide receiver until his third season to make a big jump in productivity. Then the 2014 rookie class came in and took the league by storm.

Beckham had 91 catches and 12 touchdowns. Evans had 12 touchdowns. Watkins looked mediocre by comparison, hauling in over 900 yards and six touchdowns for the Buffalo Bills.

So now in 2017, rookie wide receivers are expected to contribute right away. That's caused some impatience with Bills second-round pick Zay Jones, who has three catches for 39 yards in his first three NFL games.

I agree with you breh, i just want him to get some targets early and that confidence up. The mental aspect of competition and creating are so underrated, dont want that potential going to waste.

...kid had some amazing Rice like stats at ECU.......numbers WELL beyond a premier+ season production in the NFL......so the lad has some major adjustments from "those days" to NFL days...and his QB will not be a member of the "5,000 Yard Club" ....so you work you tail off to build his confidence at this level as he has the promise to be a good one long term IMO..........

Yes the competition level is higher. The ball is the same. He caught them. Now he's not.

If Sammy was here, Jones might have been the 3rd receiver package depending.

Don't feel he was drafted to be the #1 receiver. Just a very solid one, with upside. I find it hard to believe he won't find his feet soon enough.

Building character is what he is doing right now : )

Genetics wasn't the point. Duh!

Someone gets that the implication was that the game wouldn't be too big for him.

I think it's a confidence issue. If he can get his confidence back then that will be a huge plus to this offense.

I have to agree. On both counts. expect he will.

I thought it was targets that he lacks.

as long as the chains are moving who cares who gets the ball, really

Everyone gets a chance to be a hero !

Part of developing as a rookie wr is being on the same page and establishing confidence with your QB. No one is going to mistake TT as the most accurate QB. They're both "off" right now. There's still debate about the Carolina play. All I know is Zay looked amazing at ECU and catching passes from Peterman in the Senior Bowl. He needs more time. I'll re-evaluate his rookie year in January.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

...kid had some amazing Rice like stats at ECU.......numbers WELL beyond a premier+ season production in the NFL......so the lad has some major adjustments from "those days" to NFL days...and his QB will not be a member of the "5,000 Yard Club" ....so you work you tail off to build his confidence at this level as he has the promise to be a good one long term IMO..........

Right, we should see a bunch of quick passes to him, if he gets separation on sunday to get him rolling.

If Sammy was here, Jones might have been the 3rd receiver package depending.

Don't feel he was drafted to be the #1 receiver. Just a very solid one, with upside. I find it hard to believe he won't find his feet soon enough.

Building character is what he is doing right now : )

Thats right big breh. The roster moves mean He has to grow into a starter a little faster now. Jerry Rice dropped a lot of passes his rookie season too.

I agree I think he just needs a little time

Thats right Niel Peart!

Right, we should see a bunch of quick passes to him, if he gets separation on sunday to get him rolling.

Thats right big breh. The roster moves mean He has to grow into a starter a little faster now. Jerry Rice dropped a lot of passes his rookie season too.

Thats right Niel Peart!

sure it aint Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson? off the top of my pointed head.

awesome as always Little breh !

Think the kid has the wherewithal to overcome. I look forward to see what his ceiling really is.

-_-

Patience Grasshoppers

The best I can say about the missed TD catch was the ball was thrown into a "blind window" for Zay to run into. I can't really describe it so I'll attach the picture I have. The ball about to come out of TT hand to the spot that Zay will be at and Zay is running the correct route. However, Von Miller is jumping in the air and blocking the line of sight between TT and Zay and Zay and the ball.

He was late getting his hands up the ball and I'm thinking the screen from Miller was likely the cause. Either way. Yes I think he should be doing better but it's his 3rd game of his NFL career so I'll give him time before I start to worry about it. I'm guessing you would be able to see it better on the All-22 so hopefully our weekly reporter can take a look at this play and let me know if my assumptions were correct. :thumbsup:

throw.jpg

I noticed this yesterday on the all 22 review. This play was the equivalent of someone walking around a corner to catch a ball that is already in the air and coming in hot.

As I've said before he still has to catch it, but Miller made this a much harder catch than it appeared to be in real time. That ball was on him very quickly.

Zay is going to be fine. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few targets early on Sunday.

If Sammy was on the team I would be surprised at Zay's slow start. But without Sammy there, the defensive attention is locked in on Jones a lot more. I wouldn't be surprised if teams are gearing coverages and putting their best corners onto Zay a decent chunk of the time. I am hoping Zay has more of an impact as the season progresses but I don't expect flashy numbers at all given the circumstances of the offense (no true #1, primarily a rushing offense, and a offense that is going to be playing conservative due to a defense that will keep them in games.)

I still like Zay's long term outlook as a player but the circumstances he finds himself in just aren't conducive to putting up big numbers.