Don't worry about Marcell Dareus' playing time. He's not.

SaviorPeterman

Which has nothing to do with how much playing time Marcel Dareus is getting, and in fact has nothing to do with Marcel Dareus at all.

So you are okay with the teams highest paid player, being on the field for less than half the snaps, and when he was on the field, didn't make any impact plays?

I'll move on. I now see that it doesn't matter which players on a team make the big $$$. I need to ignore all salaries, and look at Dareus like he is making league minimum...and then he does look like a pretty good player. ;)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dareus may be an idiot but he's far from JAG. No JAG is taking on double teams like he did Sunday.

He was single-teamed the majority of the time Sunday.

And he didn't get any penetration. And notably, McCown's TD sneak was right over him, where he was blown off the line.

Frankly I'm happy if we can rotate players and still produce. Keeps players fresh and healthy for the long run. Don't know why everyone continues to be so dramatic about it.

Because people can't distinguish between the player sucking, and the player's contract sucking.

There's some definite questions that could be discussed concerning him. But most of those concern the contract (the way he's being used and playing, the Bills are getting maybe $30M in production from a $100M contract), but are attributed exclusively to the player.

So you are okay with the teams highest paid player, being on the field for less than half the snaps, and when he was on the field, didn't make any impact plays?

I'll move on. I now see that it doesn't matter which players on a team make the big $$$. I need to ignore all salaries, and look at Dareus like he is making league minimum...and then he does look like a pretty good player. ;)

This is a silly question because it has nothing to do with anything. Are you saying McDermott is obligated to play players based on their salaries? Does that concept sound dumb? It's because it is, and so is your question. You can shake your head over how many snaps Dareus gets but that's about it. This regime didn't give him that deal. Saddling McDermott with some misguided obligation based on Dareus' paycheck is the height of absurdity.

This is a silly question because it has nothing to do with anything. Are you saying McDermott is obligated to play players based on their salaries? Does that concept sound dumb? It's because it is, and so is your question. You can shake your head over how many snaps Dareus gets but that's about it. This regime didn't give him that deal. Saddling McDermott with some misguided obligation based on Dareus' paycheck is the height of absurdity.

I think it's more like "If you're paying a player to be Reggie White, and he's not being Reggie White, you're either misusing him or gave him the wrong contract."

Frankly, I appreciate McDermott's take on fresh bodies, and my hope is that it doesn't just keep guys fresh, but healthy.

While I may be talking over my head, I see the number of injuries happening to players early in the season, and part of that I attribute to how lax the training camps are due to the players' union getting them out of 2-a-days, practice with pads, etc. The thinking seems to be that since they're not really in game-day shape by the time game day comes around, you need to rotate them more often as they work their way into game-day shape a few games in.

Could be wrong, but by the end of the Jets game, you could tell who was fresh.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I didn't realize this was a thread to bash Dareus. My bad.

Don't you know any thread that mentions him is a thread to bash Dareus? That said is it OK if I agree with you, especially since Dareus was rehabbing an injury during TC/preseason and not even getting the snaps they're allowed.

Okay, teenage drama queen comments aside...

If the highest-paid player on the team is not earning his keep, I sure the hell don't want him on the field simply because he's the highest paid player. That's ridiculous. You play the players who give you the best chance to win, regardless of salary. If, in that process, you can do nothing about his salary, then that's exactly what you do until such a time that you can.

The bottom line is..and will forever be...as simple as this: you have no control over any of it so complaining about it is a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing. Instead, look at the fact that the coaches realize all of this and are adjusting in the best way possible.

He was single-teamed the majority of the time Sunday.

And he didn't get any penetration. And notably, McCown's TD sneak was right over him, where he was blown off the line.

Of course he was, you can't double team a player every snap but he handled the double team. He got penetration at 11:19 of the 2nd and abuses the O lineman at 3:04 in the 3rd - and he definitely contributed to Blokes example up thread.

The 1/2 yard line is always to the offenses advantage and Dareus wasn't blown off the line but he did get pushed back a yard - and he was doubled up. Now at the 12:45 mark of the 4th - that's getting blown up.

Edited by White Linen

Frankly, I appreciate McDermott's take on fresh bodies, and my hope is that it doesn't just keep guys fresh, but healthy.

While I may be talking over my head, I see the number of injuries happening to players early in the season, and part of that I attribute to how lax the training camps are due to the players' union getting them out of 2-a-days, practice with pads, etc. The thinking seems to be that since they're not really in game-day shape by the time game day comes around, you need to rotate them more often as they work their way into game-day shape a few games in.

Could be wrong, but by the end of the Jets game, you could tell who was fresh.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I didn't realize this was a thread to bash Dareus. My bad.

OP trolls 100% of the time. If you see his name, know he's talking trash.

I am not going to get too excited about this. DTs can have a good game and show nothing on the stat sheet and they rotated their D Lineman, so what. If you can "afford" to rotate and the game is under control why not, the season is very long.

No if his stat sheet is blank for a few more weeks , then there is something to get worried about.

I'll look at the 1.7 YPC the Jets had until the 4th quarter when they busted an 11 yard draw play and assume he must have been at least OK... Edited by matter2003

In the long history of people expressing opinions about professional athletes, the one argument that never made sense to me is the issue of what they are being paid.

What should the average fan care about how much he's being paid? There's not a person on this board who would turn down a chance in their chosen profession to make $100M to work 50% of the time.

But heaven forbid an athlete does it. That's just not right. :lol:

How could you watch football for as long as you have and not know about the salary cap?

At some point get off this guys back!!!! Its not his fault some one gave him a crazy contract of the type of guy that he is.

More importantly 59% of the snaps is not low for the heaviest guy on the D line. Big Ted Washington dint play a ton of snaps and everyone was pissed when he left.