Don't worry about Marcell Dareus' playing time. He's not.

SaviorPeterman

Marcell is a fat tub of goo.

I tell every Bills fan , follow Yardsperpass on Twitter. Breaks down film every week of Bills. Dareus actually had a solid game, collapsed the line many times , opening up lanes for his teammates, not a great game but he definitely was solid and faced a ton of double teams..

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I picked 2 team at random with good defenses The Min. and Balt. and looked up the snap count % of their 2 starting guys interior guys.

They were 73%, 56%, 56% , and 62%

So the stats show too many guys are shooting of their mouths and dont know what they are talking about!!!!

And enough of the contract crap, not his fault and the people that gave it to him have been shown the door already!!!

I don't mind the rotation. Keeping guys fresh makes sense to me if you have the horses to do it effectively. But no run stuffing zero tech is worth the money MD is being paid. He is (or should be) a disruptive 3 tech. McDermott's scheme allows for using MD this way so I expect to see that as the season progresses.

You can bet the FO is exploring every way cap wise to dump him this offseason

They're not going to wait until the off season to dump him. Dareus is gone probably well before the trade deadline if they can find any team willing to give them whatever bargain basement price they set. The Bills are employing their typical negative propaganda about said player in the ever-cooperative local media to prep fans for his departure sooner rather than later. They've employed that tactic in the past, most notably with Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch but also with players who were sent packing in FA.

I think it's more like "If you're paying a player to be Reggie White, and he's not being Reggie White, you're either misusing him or gave him the wrong contract."

Except this regime did not give him that contract. So what makes them obligated to play him to his salary?

any chance of restructuring Marcel's deal to make it more team friendly so we can trade him? i think a new DT will be high on the list of priorities with Kyle a year or two from retiring. if Marcel is still here next year it's because we used our picks on a QB and didn't get a suitable replacement for him

seems to be the norm for some around here. nothing better to do but bash/disrespect a player or worry about his money. it say's a lot about said persons that do so. you know, since they're so much better of a person and feel it's their obligation to bash/disrespect or worry about their bank accounts.

So Marcells past legal issues and lack of productivity since since he signed this deal have nothing to do with it? I dont hear people complaining about Shady Mccoy like they complain about Dareus. You know why? Because he gives 100 percent and produces on Sunday. Hes got a pretty hefty contract for a running back. In fact they just added more incentives to it yet I dont hear anybody griping about that because he produces. Dareus has let this organization down multiple times. He deserves every single bit of criticsm he gets. Mcdermott can say anything he wants now. The real proof on how this organization feels will be whether or not they cut him once the cap hit becomes manageable. Edited by Billsmovinup

Ok, so I picked 2 team at random with good defenses The Min. and Balt. and looked up the snap count % of their 2 starting guys interior guys.

They were 73%, 56%, 56% , and 62%

So the stats show too many guys are shooting of their mouths and dont know what they are talking about!!!!

And enough of the contract crap, not his fault and the people that gave it to him have been shown the door already!!!

Good post.

And to add to this - I just looked it up the 2014 Buffalo Bills defense. Dareus played 62.4% of the snaps and had probably his best season ever, so...

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/12/29/7463105/2014-buffalo-bills-defense-review-snap-counts-play-time-percent-stats

Good post.

And to add to this - I just looked it up the 2014 Buffalo Bills defense. Dareus played 62.4% of the snaps and had probably his best season ever, so...https://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/12/29/7463105/2014-buffalo-bills-defense-review-snap-counts-play-time-percent-stats

Exactly

He is 330 LBs

He isn't going to play 75-80% of the snaps and dominate.

You need to keep him steady at 55-65% and he will still dominate for 16 games. Sure he can be immature , and he smokes weed and has drag raced. But on the field he has no weaknesses. He has very few flaws besides playing in a rotation

What are the goals of a professional sports team?

1. Win the game.

2. Well, there isn't a 2. Maybe it's, don't show off capabilities you don't need to reveal, but only if you win to begin with.

The Bills coaching staff put together a strategy that was sufficient to beat a crappy team. They won easily and could have outscored the Jets by more -- but why do that? Why use every trick in their bag to beat the Jets? It's much better to just win, and show future opponents as little else as possible.

For the defense, the only threat was Forte and Powell. The Bills used their D line to eat up blockers and keep the blockers from reaching our LBs. I think that worked out perfectly. This approach won't work against good QBs but don't expect the Bills to use the same approach against good QBs. It's the coaches' job to figure out how to attack the other team.

I didn't like the fact that Dareus got pushed back on the QB sneak. Other than that, he seemed to be doing exactly what he was told to do.

I don't mind the rotation. Keeping guys fresh makes sense to me if you have the horses to do it effectively. But no run stuffing zero tech is worth the money MD is being paid. He is (or should be) a disruptive 3 tech. McDermott's scheme allows for using MD this way so I expect to see that as the season progresses.

perhaps a lesson in Humble?

Rotating in D line men is the way to go for sure.

I expect to see a different game from the defense, as far as matching up goes.

Bills would be wise to bring pressure via the tackles. Contain the edges and see how Car responds.

Definitely a story to watch play out for me. Sure as heck hope it has a Happy Ending.

You don't pay a DT a $100 million to be JAG who plugs up the middle of the line. He was paid that money to be an IMPACT player. If he cannot be that player, or they don't want to put him on the field enough to be that player, then his future as a Bill is probably done by the end of the 2018 season....when his dead cap hit drops significantly.

1861114.jpg

Except this regime did not give him that contract. So what makes them obligated to play him to his salary?

His contract ?

It would be such a major move for them to dump him. Everyone in the NFL would stand up and take notice i bet.

any chance of restructuring Marcel's deal to make it more team friendly so we can trade him? i think a new DT will be high on the list of priorities with Kyle a year or two from retiring. if Marcel is still here next year it's because we used our picks on a QB and didn't get a suitable replacement for him

only if MD is willing. He might be, but he has bank right now.

#stackingthecash

Exactly

He is 330 LBs

He isn't going to play 75-80% of the snaps and dominate.

You need to keep him steady at 55-65% and he will still dominate for 16 games. Sure he can be immature , and he smokes weed and has drag raced. But on the field he has no weaknesses. He has very few flaws besides playing in a rotation

i fit this description, mostly.

Good post.

And to add to this - I just looked it up the 2014 Buffalo Bills defense. Dareus played 62.4% of the snaps and had probably his best season ever, so...

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/12/29/7463105/2014-buffalo-bills-defense-review-snap-counts-play-time-percent-stats

Exactly. I posted more detailed 2014 stats on the last Dareus Bashing Thread. His best season (2014, under Schwartz) was indeed 62%. His worst full season (2015, under Rex) he played over 80% of defensive snaps. That's of course not the sole reason for his apparent decline, but it is an important reason. Look, professional athletics is now a maximum intensity/full effort activity. Every football snap. Every baseball pitch. Every NBA possession. A deep defensive line if you're lucky enough to have one -- we were in 2014, and I'm starting to think was are in 2017 -- provides a coach a great luxury to get that maximum effort on every snap. For some reason (probably the difficulty in integrating new guys into an established blocking scheme) we don't see O lines rotating as frequently, so a talented/deep rotated defensive line has a big advantage. Let's not beat up on the guy for fitting into the scheme just one year after we all beat up on him for refusing to adapt to the former scheme ...

He was single-teamed the majority of the time Sunday.

And he didn't get any penetration. And notably, McCown's TD sneak was right over him, where he was blown off the line.

Dont ruin the narrative. Its like people say things without even watching him and him alone. All i reqd on hear was how many double teams he faced. So I decided to re watch the game and focus solely on him. He literally only faced a double team roughly on a 1/3 of his snaps, and when he wasnt double teamed he did hardly anything, certainly nothing if note that a team would expect from their supposed defensive star.

His contract ?

It would be such a major move for them to dump him. Everyone in the NFL would stand up and take notice i bet.

only if MD is willing. He might be, but he has bank right now.

#stackingthecash

i fit this description, mostly.

Do you want 100 million dollars? And can you split an A gap