Who is Paying to Read Jerry Sullivan's Sob Stories?

But is this model really working for them? Seems all you hear all over is "no way am I paying for a subscription" I'm sure there are many that do pay, but would they be further ahead with putting ads on the pages? There's just too much free stuff out there to justify paying. Since the TV and radio stations aren't competing for print, they'll likely always be free so that takes away many who'd even think about paying.

Newspapers should charge people for their content. Reporters and editors don't work for free. I'm just saying I won't pay for Buffalo News sports coverage.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But is this model really working for them? Seems all you hear all over is "no way am I paying for a subscription" I'm sure there are many that do pay, but would they be further ahead with putting ads on the pages? There's just too much free stuff out there to justify paying. Since the TV and radio stations aren't competing for print, they'll likely always be free so that takes away many who'd even think about paying.

Most people that pay for it don't find it necessary to go on Twitter or wherever and declare they've paid $2.99/mo IMO. It seems to be the exact opposite for those who chose not to pay.

As for ad revenue, I've heard it takes an obscene amount of "clicks" to generate the same revenue for a story that a single monthly subscription can provide. I believe it was the editor of the new hockey site The Athletic that laid out this premise. To those that think paywalls will fail/succeed should focus on that site. They're assembling an all-star roster of writers, too.

Edited by stony

I quite reading anything Jerry had to say almost two years ago. That guy brings zero value to the table. The Bills could win the Super Bowl and he would complain it only took them seventeen years or rewrite how they should of won in the 90's. The guy is negative energy and needs to find a new gig!

I'll admit it. I used to read some of the BN links, and probably read Sully more than the others. But you know what? Put it behind a $2.99 paywall and you learn a lot about how much value it brings. Namely ... little or none. I won't pay it even though it's certainly not exorbitant. And the bigger problem: BN, you've got a ridiculous number of Bills columnists on the payroll. There's not enough news or informed commentary to go around. Kind of like paying to read some of the posts on TSW ...

The "free" content is often lifted from other newspapers and websites. Someone has to generate content and if everything is free how do you get paid? Things like banner ads, etc help but don't pay all the bills.

I actually have a concept in mind to monetize web content. If anyone knows how to develop web apps, PM me.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have done some research and, as of this morning, I have come up with 13 different ways to view the Buffalo News articles without having a subscription.

And none of them involve anything illegal, like stealing login credentials or anything like that.

However, I will not list them on the web site or the message board or PM any of you - I don't want to get SDS in trouble.

All I can say is that I found them online by searching for them, and one of the ways is to simply add an certain extension onto a Google Chrome browser.

Good luck hunting! :D

Who is paying to read sad sap Sully's downerism?

http://buffalonews.com/subscribe-bills/

Tell me: who?

I for one am very grateful for the paywall. It keeps me from accidentally giving clicks to articles on BN. I just wish TBD would aggregate all the BN articles just like the "out of town" news that comes in late each week. That way I could easily skip over the stuff I won't read anyway.

I for one am very grateful for the paywall. It keeps me from accidentally giving clicks to articles on BN. I just wish TBD would aggregate all the BN articles just like the "out of town" news that comes in late each week. That way I could easily skip over the stuff I won't read anyway.

Exactly...establishes the final hurdle preventing me from getting sucked into a Bucky/Sully column...Thank you BN!

I certainly am. Jerry Sullivan has done yeoman's work for years covering this team and he's not afraid to tell it is and not going to give credit unless this team deserves it.

That's one interpretation. Mine is he's betting on failure and mailing his columns in. If all he can say about McDermott after he was hired was "he reminds me of tough-guy Gregg Williams," it shows Jerry didn't waste a brain cell doing any research or learning a thing about the Bills hire. Betting on failure.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have done some research and, as of this morning, I have come up with 13 different ways to view the Buffalo News articles without having a subscription.

And none of them involve anything illegal, like stealing login credentials or anything like that.

However, I will not list them on the web site or the message board or PM any of you - I don't want to get SDS in trouble.

All I can say is that I found them online by searching for them, and one of the ways is to simply add an certain extension onto a Google Chrome browser.

Good luck hunting! :D

Well, aren't you special... :nana:

PS...is that ur real face or just some really pretty avatar you found online?