Michael Bennett suing Las Vegas police department

HappyDays

As I read it, "perhaps" referred to the reason Bennett was detained and you were stating as a fact that the suspect was black. At any rate, you were apparently making an assumption unwarranted by the known facts.

Ok, you found the "perhaps" part, now find the "If"

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the truth of what happened will be somewhere in the middle as always. I doubt it went down exactly as he claims. Ironic that this fits his cause so well and we are just hearing about it now. If it really happened like that then the cops should be punished but I'm skeptical

Yeah, stuff like this rarely happens, right?

They pulled a gun on him and put his handcuffs on too tight? That's it?

sounds like the cops threatened to 'blow his f-ing head off' if he moved. That seems a bit extreme.

A few things:

- This was an "active shooter" situation. There is no "polite" in an active shooter situation. The police have much more leeway to proceed during the commission of a crime.

- Given an active shooter situation, it is very reasonable for law enforcement to profile towards the execution of their objective: to end the shooting threat.

- We don't know if Bennett was the only person so detained, and if others were detained, we don't know their racial profiles.

- Bennett has no idea what the "white experience" is in these, or any other situations. I have been handled in similar fashion by the police in a similar situation, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This is a joke right?

A big man who plays a contact sport is whining about being hurt?

He met the description one would clearly understand or believe. He was put to the ground and held at gun point as any possible suspect with a gun would be and he's upset? If the police went up to him nicely would he have complied?

When you're detained it is not the time to plead to be let go or say I did nothing wrong. A case of great example is Adolphus Washington.

How was he profiled? Give me a break and tell this baby to go get a bottle.

He was black, That's the profile.

Again, i would suggest that you are the one with a reading comprehension problem. "If" introduced the presumed fact that the suspect was black.

He had said, "If the report is a blackman was firing a gun, why would an officer go after an asian, mexican, or white guy?"

You replied, "Do you know if the report was that the gunman was black, or are you just pumping out misinformed speculation?

He never stated the report said he was black, he posed a scenario that could explain why Bennett could be wrong. Like I said we don't know the other side yet, so lets all wait for more information shall we?

You've had police call you a n***** and threaten to to blow your head off? Hmm.

Where did the police call him that?

so if they move, it's ok to shoot them in the head? while handcuffed, and in this case innocent.

I never said that, now please answer my question

What would you like them to say to someone to make sure they don't move?

I doubt they are trained to say that...

They are public servants living off our tax dollars, they can do what they need to do to restrain people, but it seems like they are always excessively aggressive both physically and verbally.

I think most cops are just !@#$s is what it comes down to...

They are public servants living off our tax dollars, they can do what they need to do to restrain people, but it seems like they are always excessively aggressive both physically and verbally.

You ever swear when something harmless doesn't go your way? Imagine that "something" being an active shooter.

Don't move. That's what they should say.

I imagine they said what they said as responding to a call of gun shots fired, they were worried about guns being around and that any sudden movements and non cooperation may result in them shooting.

Could they have said don't move or we may have to shoot you? Yes. What they said still had the same effect and at this point is just nit picking imo.

Please see my other post I just put, and I can agree the last statement

I had heard about this a couple days after the fight and thought about posting something, but I thought it might be BS.

The person I heard it from told me that they were waiting to see if there was bodycam or cell phone footage anywhere so that it didnt seem like he was just making something up to further his protest.

There was a study released some years ago, which I am now having trouble finding, which profiled law enforcement officers as having a strong authoritarian bent on average. Which makes sense given the job.

He misread Michael bennets quote and assumed the officers called him that I imagine

It's even dumber than that. My coworker mentioned that to me and I believed him, I'm guessing he misread it as well. That's my bad. Deleted the post. Still doubt the poster has ever had a police officer threaten to blow his head off and handcuff him until he felt numb but my fault completely for posting that.

You ever swear when something harmless doesn't go your way? Imagine that "something" being an active shooter.

Almost every cop I have ever dealt with has been a total ass. They have attitude issues IMO. Seems like most of them hate their job or something, but ofc they will take the gov't money abusing OT etc while still hating on civies.

Video.

@sportingnews

DJDX10VVYAA1GXa.jpg

12:02 PM - 6 Sep 2017

Again, i would suggest that you are the one with a reading comprehension problem. "If" introduced the presumed fact that the suspect was black.

LOL, yeah ok, who do you think you are bullshitting, i will give you credit for creative spin.

Pretty sure he's whining about his rights being violated.

This thread should be locked immediately because your post belongs somewhere far, far away from 2017.

how were his rights violated? I hope Vegas counter files and pwns him

If this in the only video, Bennet doesn't have a chance.

i didn't see anything about the video that was all that crazy either.

i'm not taking a stance one way or the other, but i'm just not sure what he's suing for. i know there's attorneys on this board...what could he actually sue for that would stick?

I imagine they said what they said as responding to a call of gun shots fired, they were worried about guns being around and that any sudden movements and non cooperation may result in them shooting.

Could they have said don't move or we may have to shoot you? Yes. What they said still had the same effect and at this point is just nit picking imo.

Please see my other post I just put, and I can agree the last statement

But he was innocent, so if they shot him in the head because they said he moved, all cool?

So just tell every black guy to get on the ground?

what does this even mean? If we find out the suspect shooting was a tall built black dude does that change your narrative? If we find out they also restrained a white woman named Dorothy is that different? Help me out here how this is a race issue.

Exactly what I figured. Truth is always somewhere in the middle. I don't see any excessive force or someone holding a gun to his head saying I'm going to blow your f'ing head off. It's no doubt traumatizing to be detained by police but they are just doing their job and it's not personal. Ive been detained and I'm the whitest guy on planet earth. They found out he wasn't the guy and let him go. Good luck with your lawsuit. Hope it brings the attention to your cause that you were hoping for

I'd be pretty upset if I had to go through that. I guess props to those who wouldn't, but my guess is most human beings would be scared $#!+less if put in that situation. No reason any innocent person should have to fear getting their "f-ing head blown off." How saying something like that helps an active shooter situation is beyond me. Seems closer to provoking than protecting.

EDIT: Haven't seen the video, so can't comment on that.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

Almost every cop I have ever dealt with has been a total ass. They have attitude issues IMO. Seems like most of them hate their job or something, but ofc they will take the gov't money abusing OT etc while still hating on civies.

funny, every cop save for a handful have been respectful and professional.

I'd be pretty upset if I had to go through that. I guess props to those who wouldn't, but my guess is most human beings would be scared $#!+less if put in that situation. No reason any innocent person should have to fear getting their "f-ing head blown off." How saying something like that helps an active shooter situation is beyond me. Seems closer to provoking than protecting.

Agree. Can't imagine being an innocent black man dealing with an angry cop. It doesn't always end up like it's supposed to. That's the plain truth of it.

But he was innocent, so if they shot him in the head because they said he moved, all cool?

This is the problem. Officers have no idea if the person they are arresting is innocent or not. They are responding to real threats in most cases, hence why compliance by civilians should be paramount.

What you are asking is really a two fold question, but first I would like to say it is never cool when someone is shot and killed.

Second if the person refused to cooperate and was moving etc. and was shot I would feel the police are well within their rights to do so.

Third, if the person was not moving and was shot, then the policeman (or woman) should be charged and arrested.