I was upset with the Jonathon Williams cut, until I saw this

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I say that most of those 'better' RB are unemployed by reason of age, being 31 or more.

A couple are younger, but not sure I'd qualify them as "better".

Ronnie Hillman is 26, and he ran for 800+ yards the year before last. Knile Davis is 25. Oh, and Denard Robinson is 26 and ... listen closely, Coach! ... he plays special teams! Positional versatility! And he throws better than Joe Webb too ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Ronnie Hillman is 26, and he ran for 800+ yards the year before last. Knile Davis is 25. Oh, and Denard Robinson is 26 and ... listen closely, Coach! ... he plays special teams! Positional versatility! And he throws better than Joe Webb too ...

These were the three I liked the most too, along with Matthews. I think Robinson is really versatile too, better than Taiwan.

The only RB on that list capable of contributing at a high level still right now is Ryan Mathews. I would definitely welcome him here as a backup and fill in behind McCoy. The only issue he really has is durability, but if he is not your RB1, he is one heck of an RB2 where durability isn't as big of an issue unless McCoy went down for a lengthy period of time.

Other than that, I don't see much on that list that I find very inspiring over the young guy the staff felt earned the backup job and knows our playbook.

Definitely this. I think he would be a very good compliment to McCoy. Not sure how he is in pass protection but if healthy he would be a good pick up.

The problem with the J Will cut is that it follows a pattern off loading young talent. It leaves us with very few players to root for as the future. We're rebuilding but with out many build blocks on the roster.

No one on the OP's list gives any inspiration for the future, even if it might be a slight improvement over J Will this year. I feel worse about the cut after looking at the list of mediocre middle aged running backs.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that JWill's agent started making some noise about money. Given his early showing in pre-season. If that is the case, I get why they waived him. $500K for a PS player is kind of steep. I wasn't happy about the cut. But if it was about money and resource management, I'm OK with it.

I feel like half of that list is old. Langford seemed promising and he's not old. Has more clout than Williams.

Langford has averaged 3.5YPC in his career. He sucks.

Jeremy Langford would be an excellent pickup. Unfortunately the Bears went through a regime change also and he was replaced by Jordan Howard after Langford went out with an injury.

More likely he was replaced cause he averaged 3.5 YPC in his career. Those are dreadful numbers.

The only RB on that list capable of contributing at a high level still right now is Ryan Mathews. I would definitely welcome him here as a backup and fill in behind McCoy. The only issue he really has is durability, but if he is not your RB1, he is one heck of an RB2 where durability isn't as big of an issue unless McCoy went down for a lengthy period of time.

Other than that, I don't see much on that list that I find very inspiring over the young guy the staff felt earned the backup job and knows our playbook.

id like matthews as the no.2, but can he play special teams?

The puzzler was that we heard about his great camp and he stood out in preseason even with starters.

Sounds like special teams was an important factor in the decision...

Another reason why they didn't retain Gilleslee as the primary backup.

Here's a list of RB's without a job. Most of them are better than J Will and have been production NFL Vets, so I'm a little stumped that we have Tawain Jones and Joe Banyard on our roster and not anyone off this list.

Chris Johnson

Ryan Matthews

Rashad Jennings

Matt Asiata

Jeremy Langford

James Starks

Justin Forsett

Denard Robinson

Tim Hightower

DeAngelo Williams

Shaun Draughn

Ronnie Hillman

Bobby Rainey

Knile Davis

Khiry Robinson

What say you, good people of twobillsdrive?

Wasn't DeAngelo Williams a Panther? Why have MickyD and BeanieBaby not signed him yet? How could they have missed this?