Trade - Car WR Clay to Bills for CB K Seymour & 7th rd pick

Reed83HOF

....i thought Seymour was an up and comer......anybody help me out on how he became expendable?..........

Injuries and ineffectiveness in the scheme when he did play. Seems him getting cut was a possibility. Might as well get something for him. I was mad about Watkins and Darby. This trade I'm cool with.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting to give up or lose the feeling I had when this staff was hired. They have made quit a few moves but none of them addressed our biggest problem which is RT. I was not at all happy to see B.Reilly got cut because it feels like sending Hogan to NE all over again. Now they get rid of Seymour who may have been someone to save our a$$es in case of injury or at least a good nickel.....for who?.......W T F? I'm starting to get less and less hopeful for this season....and it's quickly heading toward the dismay i knew Rex would bring.... Again W T F? This is starting to smell like a good piece of meat that was in the fridge is turning bad....Please God...not again!!!!

This team as-is, is a long way from being a finished product.

They've accumulated alot of draft picks over the next two years and will have lots of cap room to fill out the team. The team is going to look dramatically different 2 years from now than what it does today, but what will be the same is the system and some core players.

Not buying this and serious doubts about McBeane are growing.

Because he traded a fringe roster player for another fringe roster player and got a draft pick back too?

He got beat out by Maybin,he was about to get his ass cut and Beane gets 2 assets back what a terrible GM ;)

My questions are. Could we have gotten this guy anyway after the cuts? Does he bring anything to the team that Tate or Reilly couldn't bring?

If Seymour was going to be cut anyway, I get trading him, but why not for a more relevant pick instead of a player who appears to be a lateral move from our cut receivers and a 7th round pick two years from now.

This team as-is, is a long way from being a finished product.

They've accumulated alot of draft picks over the next two years and will have lots of cap room to fill out the team. The team is going to look dramatically different 2 years from now than what it does today, but what will be the same is the system and some core players.

Which core players do you foresee remaining?

How different would your answer have been 6 months ago?

My questions are. Could we have gotten this guy anyway after the cuts? Does he bring anything to the team that Tate or Reilly couldn't bring?

If Seymour was going to be cut anyway, I get trading him, but why not for a more relevant pick instead of a player who appears to be a lateral move from our cut receivers and a 7th round pick two years from now.

I think a fair discussion point and why some were curious the other offers... but it's not like there was something likely to be meaningfully impactful left on the table

Did McBeane ever really say they expected to be a playoff contender or did they just say they going to try and compete? Because you can be a real crappy team but still try to compete...perhaps people misunderstood what they said? Does anyone have actual quotes because I honestly don't know what was said.

I'm not sure what quote people are referring to, so I can't link it specifically.

But I can't remember them ever saying that we would be playoff contenders this season. They may want to compete for the playoffs. That should be every team's goal every season. But I have never heard them say that they actually expect to make the playoffs this season. I know McDermott has that motto "playoff caliber" but like I said earlier n this thread, that doesn't mean that they expect to make the playoffs this season. That's him wanting things done a certain way to be a playoff caliber team eventually.

This is what McDermott said at his opening press conference when he was asked directly about any type of playoff promise -

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/sean-mcdermott-wisely-avoids-making-promises/

“I am not in to making promises and I think you will find that out about me soon enough as well,” McDermott told reporters in his introductory press conference. “The promises I will make are we are going to be competitive, we are going to compete every day. What I intend to do, it starts today. . . . We are going to compete on a daily basis. I am going to build this culture along with the people in this building to develop a daily standard of winning in the way we do things. We have to earn the right to win in this league and I have learned that. So I just believe in the process. We are going to win going through the process, and when that time comes we will take the field, but we have a lot of work to do between now and then.”

Because when a player is cut, he is subject to waivers. Perhaps they liked Clay enough that they didn't want to risk losing out on him. I'm not saying I agree with them -- I know nothing about Clay, so it's hard to rate the move. I'm just saying that it's better to guarantee a player is on your roster by trading an asset for him that you didn't want to hang on to ANYWAY than it is to hope no one above you on the waiver order puts in a claim.

I'm not sure what quote people are referring to, so I can't link it specifically.

But I can't remember them ever saying that we would be playoff contenders this season. They may want to compete for the playoffs. That should be every team's goal every season. But I have never heard them say that they actually expect to make the playoffs this season. I know McDermott has that motto "playoff caliber" but like I said earlier n this thread, that doesn't mean that they expect to make the playoffs this season. That's him wanting things done a certain way to be a playoff caliber team eventually.

This is what McDermott said at his opening press conference when he was asked directly about any type of playoff promise -

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/sean-mcdermott-wisely-avoids-making-promises/

“I am not in to making promises and I think you will find that out about me soon enough as well,” McDermott told reporters in his introductory press conference. “The promises I will make are we are going to be competitive, we are going to compete every day. What I intend to do, it starts today. . . . We are going to compete on a daily basis. I am going to build this culture along with the people in this building to develop a daily standard of winning in the way we do things. We have to earn the right to win in this league and I have learned that. So I just believe in the process. We are going to win going through the process, and when that time comes we will take the field, but we have a lot of work to do between now and then.”

right...so, I basically take this to mean that they are going to be a team that will fight hard and not give up no matter what talent they have on the team...but I think some people are getting upset because they see a rebuild taking place, and they think they were, in some way, tricked by the organization, into having high hopes for the season and being a playoff contender.

I will admit, that initially, I thought that as well...but after I began to see what they were doing (trades for future picks), I came to the realization that they are not playing for a championship this year...I now feel like they are in the process of building their "championship" team and that it may take 2-3 years to get there- and that they are first trying to get all their "ducks in a row"...but having said that, they will still fight and compete as hard as they can...at least that what I am taking away from the situation...I'm ok with this plan and have total faith in these guys to do whatever they feel is necessary to get there...after all, what other choice do I have? LOL

Edited by JaCrispy

Obviously it could be a variety of picks or players that wouldn't have been graded the same by everyone -- seeing the comparison could give us some idea of priorities

I understand and replied accordingly-- I'll stand by my response that we entered the offseason with a set of young talented man corners and have gutted them for scheme fits. I'm sure many fans have whiplash and are still projecting them based on their past successes, not their current fit in a scheme not everyone read every camp report about

The pass defense was terrible last year. I dont see a problem.

right...so, I basically take this to mean that they are going to be a team that will fight hard and not give up no matter what talent they have on the team...but I think some people are getting upset because they see a rebuild taking place, and they think they were, in some way, tricked by the organization, into having high hopes for the season and being a playoff contender.

I will admit, that initially, I thought that as well...but after I began to see what they were doing (trades for future picks), I came to the realization that they are not playing for a championship this year...I now feel like they are in the process of building their "championship" team and that it may take 2-3 years to get there- and that they are first trying to get all their "ducks in a row"...but having said that, they will still fight and compete as hard as they can...at least that what I am taking away from the situation...I'm ok with this plan and have total faith in these guys to do whatever they feel is necessary to get there...after all, what other choice do I have? LOL

In some ways a rebuild was inevitable because so many scheme specific players were brought in for Ryan that don't fit a 4-3 zone based defense...

Edited by matter2003

I going with whatever the staff thinks is the best way to go. I'm going to support them win or lose. What choice do I have. Been a Bills fan for 48 years. Hopefully we're moving in the right direction. Sammy, Darby and Seymour weren't bring us to the Super Bowl. Let's pray they know what the F*** they are doing.

I don't get it either. Clay has done nothing on the nfl. Seymour was a steady depth cb and we also throw in a 7th round pick. This Panther obsession is getting old.

Wrong, we received a 7th round pick. Not that a 7th round pick matters 98% of the time.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 23s24 seconds ago

Panthers traded WR Kaelin Clay to the Buffalo Bills, per source.

Edit: Update:

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Updated trade: Turns out that Buffalo traded CB Kevon Seymour to the Carolina Panthers for WR Kaelin Clay, per source.

Update again:

Sal Capaccio ‏Verified account @SalSports

Bills also get Panther's 2019 seventh round pick along with WR Clay for Seymour.

Never heard of clay.

Guess they really don't like the previous regimes CBs.

Completely dismantling the Whaley era.

YAY!

Clearly, the new regime is looking to 2020 or 2021 to actually field a winner-- and that is dependent on all of the draft picks they are accumulating for 2018 and '19. They need to really hit on those picks. If they fail, they'll be gone, and a new rebuild will take place.

Not sure why Taylor, McCoy, K. Williams are on this team. Dismantling and trying to win at the same time seems like an odd approach. It must be the "process" that we keep hearing about.

I'm not confident, but what can the fans do? Ride it out and hope for the best.