BBC Top 100 Comedies of all Time

snafu

I don't consider Pulp Fiction a comedy despite some funny moments. Step Brothers and Zoolander should not be on that list. Three movies I'd put on the list off the top of my head are National Lampoon's Vacation, My Cousin Vinny, and Dumb and Dumber.

Nice list, thank you for sharing. Unless I missed it, Im surprised that Pull Fiction is on the list and dumb and dumber isn't.

Generally speaking, most people are fans of comedy from their generation. You have about a decade or so of uninhibited enjoyment of all entertainment. Music, movies, sports, etc. Then life gets too serious and people get cranky.

#4 seems astonishingly high for Groundhog Day. I didn't think it was bad but no way is it anywhere close to that rank. If it didn't show up in the top 100 I wouldn't have though it that big a snub.

Comedies are hard to rank though. Caddy shack 65, Animal House 47 and...Bridesmaids....which again I didn't think was all that bad...44. It was NOT a better comedy that Animal House or Caddyshack.

It's all subjective, but among the Python films, I'd rank "Holy Grail" over "Life of Brian", and "O Brother, Where Art Thou" is, in my opinion, the best Coen Brothers film - slightly better than (or at least tied with) "The Big Lebowski" and a lot better than "Raising Arizona." How does "O Brother" not make the list at all? What about "Fargo"?

Ghostbusters at #95? That is very disrespectful, especially when you see what is in front of it?

Bridesmaids? :sick: That is insulting.

I agree with everyone here about Airplane!. It should be top 5.

Same about Pulp Fiction, not a true comedy.

I love Bringing Up Baby, and it is rightfully in the Top 20.

The Big Lebowski, When Harry Met Sally, Clueless, & Mean Girls should be much lower.

The Princess Bride should be much higher.

A big thumbs up for acknowledging Shaun of the Dead. :thumbsup:

The Hangover? South Park? Zoolander? Top 100?

I'm a big fan of Laurel & Hardy, and I love that two of their films are in here. The Music Box is one of my all-time favorites. I'm surprised that they put Sons of the Desert on the list and not Way Out West.

How could they leave out The Odd Couple and The Birdcage? But we have Bridesmaids! :sick::sick::sick:

Edited by Mark Vader

Airplane! needs to be top 3, top 5 at least

Holy Grail needs to be top 10 at least

And one serious snub. I mean seriously how do you put Tootsie and Zoolander on a list but omit

[r]

Tootsie should be top ten. Including nonsense like Mean Girls and Bridesmaids? That's a joke.

And as always, Charlie Chaplin is very over rated.

Tootsie should be top ten

We're going to have to disagree over the placement of Tootsie

But how do you feel about leaving Spaceballs off the list?

The Hangover? South Park? Zoolander? Top 100?

South Park "Bigger Longer and Uncut" position on that list as a stand alone movie is debatable

South Park's placement on that list, I suspect is more of a nod to their overall body of work. Which IMO is a serious snub. The movie is not the their best work

Bananas and Sleeper are both much funnier than Annie Hall.

Annie Hall is a brilliant film, but it is not particularly hilarious. Same with the Wes Anderson movies. Meanwhile Pulp Fiction is riotously funny at times but I would not call it a comedy.

I think Zoolander is funny and also pervasive in pop culture which is important to comedy films. More so than Step Brothers, which is rated higher than I think it deserves.

Most of these lists favor older movies disproportionately, but I think this is fairly balanced.

Superbad should have made this list.

Tootsie should be top ten. Including nonsense like Mean Girls and Bridesmaids? That's a joke.

Mean Girls and Bridesmaids are funny. Bridesmaids as an all time classic is debatable at this time, but Mean Girls is a valid choice IMO.

We're going to have to disagree over the placement of Tootsie

South Park "Bigger Longer and Uncut" position on that list as a stand alone movie is debatable

South Park's placement on that list, I suspect is more of a nod to their overall body of work. Which IMO is a serious snub. The movie is not the their best work

I'm with KD in CA on this one. Tootsie is a great comedy and it deserves to be higher on this list.

/dev/null, I agree with you on South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut. It is a funny movie, that has one or two too many songs. Meanwhile the television show has a lot of great moments. The movie is not their best work, which is why I question it being on this list. You could be right though, it might be a nod to it's overall success, but that still does not justify it being listed here.

It would be on my list, but I can understand why it wasn't included.

The South Park movie was good, but not a classic. I think you are right about why it's included.

Edited by KD in CA

I don't consider Pulp Fiction a comedy despite some funny moments. Step Brothers and Zoolander should not be on that list. Three movies I'd put on the list off the top of my head are National Lampoon's Vacation, My Cousin Vinny, and Dumb and Dumber.

Agree. Pulp Fiction may be in my Top 10 movies, but not a comedy. Step Brothers is amusing but not in my Top 200 funniest. Zoolander has many classic scenes but a lot mediocre as well. Agree Vacation and MCV deserve Top 100 status, and D & D is like Zoolander.

I really like Jack Lemmon and Billy Wilder but Some Like it Hot seems dated to me.

Personally, the Naked Gun is my all-time favorite. To me, every line, every gag is hilarious. Not a wasted moment. Same with Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Agree. Pulp Fiction may be in my Top 10 movies, but not a comedy. Step Brothers is amusing but not in my Top 200 funniest. Zoolander has many classic scenes but a lot mediocre as well. Agree Vacation and MCV deserve Top 100 status, and D & D is like Zoolander.

I really like Jack Lemmon and Billy Wilder but Some Like it Hot seems dated to me.

Personally, the Naked Gun is my all-time favorite. To me, every line, every gag is hilarious. Not a wasted moment. Same with Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

I saw Naked Gun in a theatre in London when it first came out. I was there with a few American friends and we laughed our asses off through the entire movie. We were the only ones because the Brits didn't think the scenes with the Queen were funny and they didn't understand any of the baseball jokes. That was one of my all time favorite movie experiences. This list was compiled from votes of an international panel of critics. I think if it were US votes only, then it would have fared better.

And personally, I think each of the Mel Brooks films should have been higher.

If South Park made it on reputation, then the Simpsons movie should be right next to it.

Two that I don't see on the list and should have made the cut are Defending Your Life, and Ace Ventura.