So Boldin retired?

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha. I greatly admire him for what he's doing. I feel as if it is being overlooked. I never talk about politics here or anywhere else. But off the field, his decision is just highly respected by me. On the field, based on how he looked, I don't think it really impacts the offensive production.

Thanks for sharing all this Yolo. So it sounds like he was legitimately telling the truth about why he retired. No reason to assume otherwise right now.

There is an awful lot of stuff going on in this country right now. If he thinks he can help make a difference, I applaud him for trying to do so.

(1) he never specifies what "humanitarian work" he intends to do. He was big on prison reform a few years ago. Okay, no reason you can't do that and play football.

(2) How does he see himself having any more role in "humanitarian" work now?

(3) The guy is grandstanding. He couldn't play anymore so he quit.

As they say-- Next Man Up. It will be interesting when the cuts come, to see if we go after someone elses cut.

I hope so. Anyone have ideas on who that player(s) may be?

@JaySkurski

Boldin rules out signing with a contending team later in the season, saying he is done with football.

Of course, less than 2 weeks ago Boldin was "all-in" here. I can see him signing with the Steelers, Raiders, Pats**, New Orleans, Falcons, etc. if for some reason they need a red-zone target later on.

Thanks for sharing all this Yolo. So it sounds like he was legitimately telling the truth about why he retired. No reason to assume otherwise right now.

There is an awful lot of stuff going on in this country right now. If he thinks he can help make a difference, I applaud him for trying to do so.

So this is Donald Trump and the extremist right's fault. Add another thing to the HUGE list they are doing to destroy our country!

Much respect for that kind of decision.

He's uncomfortable with how divided we are as a country. He knows not everyone will understand or have the same passion as him. He's been working on humanitarian work for years. He wants to be a voice for those who don't have a voice.

He did not look good against the Eagles. Almost fell on himself in a route, didn't fight for the pass that Darby intercepted. Not sure he would have started for the team. Think that was a factor.

...could very well be....maybe he realized "Father Time" had caught up with him.....and he still has his health.....give him credit for manning versus pulling a "Harvin grab".....must be hard as hell to finally let go...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

After watching the game film and seeing himself labor down the field had to be eye opening. He is not better than any of the top 4 wrs on the roster. He most likley came to that conclusion saturday in practice when he did nothing but take reps inside.

Edited by Mat68

(1) he never specifies what "humanitarian work" he intends to do. He was big on prison reform a few years ago. Okay, no reason you can't do that and play football.

(2) How does he see himself having any more role in "humanitarian" work now?

(3) The guy is grandstanding. He couldn't play anymore so he quit.

I hope so. Anyone have ideas on who that player(s) may be?

Of course, less than 2 weeks ago Boldin was "all-in" here. I can see him signing with the Steelers, Raiders, Pats**, New Orleans, Falcons, etc. if for some reason they need a red-zone target later on.

I find your take extremely cynical considering that you're talking about a long-time consummate professional and former Walter Payton man of the year. Why not take his word for it? You're entitled to your opinion but I think it's pretty gross that you automatically assume that he's "grandstanding". Perhaps you're making this more political than he is, considering that he's only vaguely said that he just wants to contribute more thus far.

Football isn't life no matter what armchair quarterbacks and tough guy message board cynics believe, and between CTE and the very real problems facing society (it's not even worth an honest discussion if anybody thinks it's the same as it was 13 years ago or whatever), you're going to see many more players walk with very little notice. The popularity of the NFL and subsequent buy-in from its players peaked years ago.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

Most likely not. And maybe he did retire because of what you and others were hyperventilating about or maybe he was being sincere. I don't know, for me it could go either way but I won't pretend to know for sure and unequivocally state it one way or the other. I'll leave that for those that are all about the Hot takes.

If he was putting up 1500 yards with a contender, odds are his passions wouldn't have shifted as abruptly. I think there's an easy way to conclude it's a few things coming together- diminished talent, outside interest and probably not being excited about the state of the team

@nflnetwork

Set your DVR! 1f553.png@AnquanBoldin is joining us on @NFLTotalAccess TONIGHT! 1f4fa.png || 7pmET

I want someone to press him on his thoughts on the state of the team. But of course, they'll settle for the fluff answers that are PC because, hey, why would the NFL network focus on talking football when they have some good ol politics to discuss?

That sucks, I think he saw the Sammy trade and probably didn't want to put his body through one more NFL season to try and help a team go from 6 to 7 wins. I think his leadership and role on the field would have helped the team. It is unfortunate but I can't blame the guy. Hopefully the Bills can try and get a younger player with that roster spot.

I think this decision is the culmination of many factors.

Boldin is aging and he knows what he can't do anymore better than anyone.

He has had some time to size up the team and sees there is no winning to be done in Buffalo, this year.

He is a consummate professional who likes doing things the right way and probably realizes any involvement he would have with the team this year would be the "wrong way" and he didn't want to do things the wrong way.

He has plenty of money in the bank.

Add it up and he called it quits.

This will have little impact on the Bills record this season.

I didn't get to see the game against the Eagles but most people on here said he looked very slow.

I think he might have seen film on himself and see's he's clearly lost another step. His body might have felt okay but the burst is just gone.

With his supposed passion on social issues....it was time.