Trade Tyrod and Shady before the season starts

Couple trades and everyone loses their minds around here.

Let's trade tyrod and sign Kaep :)

Trade shady and we can sign ray rice right?

Boldin needs to go he's slow. We can sign Da'rick Rogers

Goodbye Cordy, let's sign the retired guy Albert

just curious, let's play hypothetical...

given Shady's age and contract, what do u think the Bills could realistically get for him in a trade?

Ravens can't afford him imo. Capwise. But I really don't know. They aren't a good enough team to be trading draft picks for a SB run. They have been mediocre at best and Flacco health has to be very concerning. If he has a herniated disk like some think they are sunk with Mallett. Edited by YoloinOhio

Let me get this straight. Beane goes on the record with national media saying he's annoyed by the notion that the Bills are tanking the season after the trades of Watkins and Darby. So now he's going to trade his starting QB and starting RB who's the key to the offense?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

hope not. Of course, there were zero leaks with the Sammy and Darby trades so I'm skeptical the "purveyor" would know this. Scary nonetheless. BB certainly could not say he's annoyed with tank whispers anymore if it happens.

You can say that again

Let me get this straight. Beane goes on the record with national media saying he's annoyed by the notion that the Bills are tanking the season after the trades of Watkins and Darby. So now he's going to trade his staring QB and start RB who's the key to the offense?

....makes PERFECT sense, doesn't it?.....why not create some more holes...maybe a couple of our nine safeties have hidden talent at QB & RB.....................

Lets trade all our good players! Think of all the possible good players we might be able to get. We should definately copy off what the jets and cleveland are doing cause they are such good franchises

We don't want good players. We're building a team.

This guy has 43 followers but says he's a "purveyor of inside scoops" so fwiw

@gilchrestsports

The #bills and #ravens are negotiating terms of a trade involving Lesean McCoy. Possibly reuniting McCoy w/former OC Greg Roman

supposedly he claims to have "leaked" that the Bills were taking Peterman in the draft. Otherwise there is nothing of value here.

This year is a wash. It's obvious Tyrod is not in the team's long-term plans...why not trade him for whatever you can get and give Peterman the keys for the year? If we can get a 4th/5th rounder and depth player I'd take it, as opposed to riding out the year with him and letting him walk. Then you give Peterman a full 16 to see how he does and if he can stick as the backup/possible starter for the future.

Shady only has maybe 2-3 good years left in him, barring injury, and is on a huge contract. By the time this team will be ready to be good again, he'll either be expendable or retiring. Why not get a haul for him while he still has value, and let Jonathan Williams start? RBs are a dime a dozen anyways. I get that this would piss off a large portion of the fanbase, but why not go all in, since you've already traded two of your best players for picks? Load up for next year's draft and beyond. I'd even look at trading Dareus to be honest.

Please go away

[for those who object to no-value added one liners, I explained why in a later response to Scott. but this really doesn't deserve a response]

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Not too mention this team is trying to manage the cap, not create dead cap by trading a player they just gave a big raise to.

This is a smart man.

Competent management looks at the dead cap hit trading a player will create (for those who don't know, amortized bonuses accelerate into this year's cap when a player is traded or into next year post June 1)

Look at the cap impact of a trade, and you can make a pretty good guess as to whether the player is tradeable and what the team feels it would need to get.

Trading Taylor would create a cap hit next year of at least $7.8M - might be $8.6M

Trading McCoy would create a cap hit next year of at least $5.2M.

So whatever player is received for a trade, in either of these cases, has to compensate the team for the value of the player lost AND next years substantial dead cap hit.

The OP's basic point, at least about McCoy, remains valid.

By the time this team is sorted out and has a shot at being good, McCoy's sell-by date will have come and gone.

Kind of like the big splash we made with Mario Williams.

The organization and team had way too far to go for his high priced signing to ever be truly relevant.

Now, if all you care about is cheering when you see the random exciting play that has no real impact on the success of the team...I guess you enjoyed the Mario years.

If you were hoping he would somehow put us over the top, you were disappointed.

His signing, in the end, amounted to nothing.

Same for McCoy.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

just curious, let's play hypothetical...

given Shady's age and contract, what do u think the Bills could realistically get for him in a trade?

Mike Wallace and a 3rd?

A first in 18 and second in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by aristocrat

Sure. I would not mind if the Bills made these trades. If they did not trade Watkins, I would disagree. But since they moved our second best offensive player, why not? Also, it seems that a major part of stock piling drafts picks is to get a franchise quarterback. Peterman was a 5th rounder, not a early first rounder. Let him play and see what happens. It probably won't be very pretty. But then we get a better draft position. Again, since we traded Watkins, the OP's suggestion is not all that far-fetched.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a smart man.

Competent management looks at the dead cap hit trading a player will create (for those who don't know, amortized bonuses accelerate into this year's cap when a player is traded or into next year post June 1)

Look at the cap impact of a trade, and you can make a pretty good guess as to whether the player is tradeable and what the team feels it would need to get.

Trading Taylor would create a cap hit next year of at least $7.8M - might be $8.6M

Trading McCoy would create a cap hit next year of at least $5.2M.

So whatever player is received for a trade, in either of these cases, has to compensate the team for the value of the player lost AND next years substantial dead cap hit

You also have to take into account the cap savings which is over $10mil for Taylor next season and around $10mil for McCoy in 2018 and 2019 combined.

You also have to take into account the cap savings which is over $10mil for Taylor next season and around $10mil for McCoy in 2018 and 2019 combined.

True but likely they are signing guys to replace them which then adds some of that back in. IMO even if Tyrod isn't our starter it makes more sense to keep him for the final year of his contract as a backup or starter before they throw the rookie in the fire.